Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Should Tiki Central be stripped of any lead based paints?

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies

But Lead based paint dries faster. And if you're going to watch paint dry....

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 6:41 PM

Woofy & I just wrote a program that automatically generates soft-worded politically correct mush. Here's the result!

I would like to point out to the esteemed Mr Cammo from Califusa how quickly we forget what we have so often worked for in our collective goals, ideals, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world all around us? And dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing deep within our individual selves, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world and within of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, and dare I say dare day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and what we have so often worked for in our collective goals, ideals, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world all around us?

W

I've found the posts on this thread to be really interesting and there have been excellent points from nobody, thanks for your contributions!

But back to the topic at hand...

There are firms that recycle paint which would be a great way to go, especially as we're really all part of the Earth Ohana, right?

These companies take unused paint...

Mix them up in a machine...

(This one is in New Jersey!)

And Presto...

Brand new Earth friendly paint!

Here's some color swatches from one recycled paint company, colors that would be appropriate for Tiki Central:

Tahitian Green

Green Shadow

Port Wine

All That Zazz

Golden Bamboo

I am also fond of their wide variety of whites, some of my favorites:

Egg White Omelet

Faded Cloud

Sea Salt and Vinegar

On 2009-01-27 15:51, dogbytes wrote:

On 2009-01-27 15:14, Haole'akamai wrote:
. Plus I think Woofmutt's crap, especially, is pure gold.

i thought his poo was lead-based.

Something that turns gold poo into lead poo? What are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic reverse Philosopher's Stone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

TM

On 2009-01-27 18:41, Cammo wrote:
Woofy & I just wrote a program that automatically generates soft-worded politically correct mush. Here's the result!

I would like to point out to the esteemed Mr Cammo from Califusa how quickly we forget what we have so often worked for in our collective goals, ideals, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world all around us? And dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing blossoming and growing deep within our individual selves, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world and within of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, and dare I say dare day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and what we have so often worked for in our collective goals, ideals, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world all around us?

I think I heard this same speech at the last manager's meeting I went to!

did you get that Paint-matic on Craig's List?

That pallette is perfect for the mural I'm
doing at the ColorBlind Research Foundation headquarters!

W

The paint machine image came from a New Jersey haz mat collection info site. Or something like that. I mention this cuz a friend hesitated to comment on the artwork thinking it might be mine. It's not. At this point I can only dream of being able to create such rich, realistic images.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2009 10:43 AM

whappen ben, fall down and spill yer paint...? get out the lead, get out the lead, get the lead ouuuuuut...

On 2009-01-29 09:57, RevBambooBen wrote:

It's either a satellite image of the Inland Empire, or a Pollack painting.

Yesterday was Jackson Pollock's birthday.

why do they celebrate people's birthdays when they're dead....
almost like everyone else is celebrating it but you
cuz yer dead....
it seems so unfair...

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2009 3:28 PM

They celebrate your birthday when you're dead cause then they don't have to give you presents!

TM

On 2009-01-29 15:28, Cammo wrote:
They celebrate your birthday when you're dead cause then they don't have to give you presents!

Not true....I got lot's of presents!

Lucas:
that's clinically dead
not just RESEMBLING like a corpse...
:lol:

T

On 2009-01-27 19:07, woofmutt wrote:

Brand new Earth friendly paint!  

Here's some color swatches from one recycled paint company, colors that would be appropriate for Tiki Central:

Tahitian Green

Green Shadow

Port Wine

All That Zazz

Golden Bamboo

I am also fond of their wide variety of whites, some of my favorites:

Egg White Omelet

Faded Cloud

Sea Salt and Vinegar

I must be color blind all this lead paint looks gray to me?

Oh & I like presents!

D

On 2009-01-29 18:56, Tikisgrl wrote:

adjust your monitor.

I vote color-blind. Sure, you need to go get that fixed.

T

On 2009-01-29 21:19, Haole'akamai wrote:
I vote color-blind. Sure, you need to go get that fixed.

I tried adjusting my browser & I tried closing my right eye but still nothing... Maybe the toxic TC paint is starting to leach into my system? Wait I feel the brain damage starting...

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2009 8:56 AM

On 2009-01-29 18:56, Tikisgrl wrote:

Oh well a touch of grey kinda suits you anyway, that is all I have to say but it's allright...

On 2009-01-26 15:48, Cammo wrote:

...Name it something BIG. Like, "History of Paint". Then you can say you wrote the definitive book on the .... well..., "History of Paint"!

Good idea, but to save time, in future, everybody please refer to it as the HOP.

This thread is making me nervous. Now I'm wondering if I should stop using my collection of vintage cast lead swizzle sticks and muddlers.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-02-01 11:18 ]

On 2009-02-01 11:11, Limbo Lizard wrote:

On 2009-01-26 15:48, Cammo wrote:

...Name it something BIG. Like, "History of Paint". Then you can say you wrote the definitive book on the .... well..., "History of Paint"!

Good idea, but to save time, in future, everybody please refer to it as the HOP.

Bwah hahahaha!

Before buying my copy of the HOP, I thought I was the only one into lead paint culture. But now I find there's a whole community out there just like me.

I was into lead paint-gun wars back in the 1990s, before there was this whole resurgence. Lead paint-pellets are actually no different than bullets, since they're made out of lead. That's why they hurt so much when they enter the body.

W

Please, everyone, I think we've said enough.

W

No really, let's just stop this. There is leaded paint, and there is there is another way. That's it.

W

I don't understand why I keep posting to this thread when I've clearly suggested that no one else post to it. Now let's move on to something else.

W

What part of "let's move on" do I not get??? Really, haven't I said enough? Why do I need to keep going on?

W

I am beginning to think I have a serious problem here. But while I'm posting again I thought I'd mention that just painting over the lead paint isn't a good idea. And here's why:

I was at West 5 this past weekend and noticed a steel support post which had been painted over when West 5 opened a couple years back had some paint peeling off of it. The post is located at the end of the bar and is between two of the bar stools. It gets a lot of wear and tear. Unfortunately whoever had painted over the post originally hadn't properly prepared it for painting. The previous paint on the post had been a high gloss enamel. The color is immaterial to this story but I'll mention it anyway: It was sky blue.

I would guess that the original paint had been oil based due to it's high gloss and enamel like hard surface. I know that there are newer latex paints which can provide a hard, high gloss surface but based on the age of the building I would guess the post had been painted originally with oil.

When the paint job for West 5 was done whoever did it merely painted latex paint over the high gloss on the post. There was no preparation such as a primer coat or a light sanding of the gloss surface to give it some "teeth" for the latex to grab onto.

This is also a common mistake when people are painting old kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Ive seen some reactions between old gloss oil paint and new latex which are nothing short of disastrous.

Oooops.

I thought this was Photo Assoc.

W

Rev Ben, I seriously do not support the idea of a complete Tiki Central palette change. (I do like your proposed color combination...Is that from the Martha Stewart presents City Life Color for Target or Ralph Lauren's Soho line?)

For those who keep yammering for a palette change: If you click Edit Preferences you'll find under Board Theme two alternate color choices.

My google search is messed up.

I typed in Hawaiiana Flag

and it popped up the German Flag.

Damn computer.

Sorry bout that.

....on with the lead paint!

Great Way to derail a reaaaally important thread, BBB!

W

Please, I've made my final point...Why is everyone else still posting to this thread???

I haven't read all the posts in this thread because it's, like, a lot of words and stuff by other people, and I mostly like to read my own posts, but I have a question. What exactly is the point of this thread? Are you saying it's OK to paint a tiki, but only if you use lead based paint, so it's authentic to the 50's? Are there some type of competing interests, here, trying to control the paint type - a purist lead-based group and a latex fetish faction? Who's in charge, anyway? Has anyone on here ever talked about this, before? I'm kinda new, here... someone please tell me what was said. I don't claim to be an expert , but I once painted a chainsaw carving of Yosemite Sam with latex enamel. I know it wasn't a tiki, per se, but it had more tiki vibe than a ukulele.

Huh, I think you are posting to the wrong thread. This is strictly about lead-based paints. Please. Stick to the topic, okay?

Anyway, if you have a question, seeing that you are a newbie, please refer to the HOP, okay?

On 2009-02-03 14:05, Haole'akamai wrote:

Anyway, if you have a question, seeing that you are a newbie, please refer to the HOP, okay?

Easy for you to say. You probably got your copy when it was still in print. Now, if you can even find a HOP on eBay, it goes for over $300! I'm sure it's a great book, but, frankly, I'd rather spend the money on gallons of paint.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 4:03 PM

Your money ahead when you paint with WHITE LEAD!! (add a little green and its even better)

T

On 2009-02-03 09:22, woofmutt wrote:
Rev Ben, I seriously do not support the idea of a complete Tiki Central palette change. (I do like your proposed color combination...Is that from the Martha Stewart presents City Life Color for Target or Ralph Lauren's Soho line?)

For those who keep yammering for a palette change: If you click Edit Preferences you'll find under Board Theme two alternate color choices.

Of course since the author of HOP suggested I change the color palette I had to try... Please keep suggestions that are not fact based out of your posts. You should have sampled the other colors before recommending them over their lead based counterpart. The other colors make bilious green look marvelous.

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 6:41 PM

Ahem, why are we discussing color palettes, applications etc. when the subject of this absurdly important thread is STRIPPING TC of any lead based paint? These distorted posts are NOT lead based paint STRIPPING topics so before ANY final word, please folks, FOCUS!!!

Now in my experience to have an apprentice strip said lead based paint will only confuse the process and should only be attempted by an expert, say one who has not only written the definitive manual on the subject, (HOP) but it's sequel, "Painting Today"...

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2009-02-03 18:41 ]

On 2009-02-03 18:41, KuKu wrote:
the process and should only be attempted by an expert, say one who has not only written the definitive manual on the subject, (HOP) but it's sequel, "Painting Today"...

Don't you mean Painting Modern?

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 9:33 PM

On 2009-02-03 20:04, Haole'akamai wrote:

the process and should only be attempted by an expert, say one who has not only written the definitive manual on the subject, (HOP) but it's sequel, "Painting Today"...

Don't you mean Painting Modern?

Ah no, that would be the sequel to "BOOK of Painting" (BOP)...

...should only be attempted by an expert, say one who has not only written the definitive manual on the subject, (HOP) but it's sequel, "Painting Today"...

Excuse me, I believe you're confused. The sequel was, "Painting, Modern Style". Or, usually, just PMS.
Followed by the book that detailed all the discoveries, since the HOP was written - "Paint: Recent Investigative Gleanings".

Thanks Limbo, you're right.

Woofmutt really outdid himself with PRIG.

Huh, what an ironic coincidence that the self-ordained professor and high priest of emulsified pigment, Woofmutt, would write a book that just happened to have those initials.
According to an indisputable authority on everything (Wikipedia), "a prig is someone who shows an inordinately zealous approach to matters of form and propriety; especially where the prig has the ability to show his/her superior knowledge to those who don't know the protocol."
Of course, Woffmutt is anything but a prig. We're all indebted to Woofmutt's tireless and selfless scholarship. In a time when natural finishes have become ubiquitous, he chronicled the glorious "painted palaces" of the past, before they disappeared. He's had to explain to those raised in the post-paint period, what is paint. How he's suffered, struggling to clarify to us slow-learners, that just because you have some colored sticky stuff, smeared on a wall, doesn't mean it's "paint". His books have spawned a whole revival of painting.
It also led to a new career for "Paintcan" Biff Perry, as he experimented with forgotten pigments and interviewed retired old-school painters, in his quest to recover the lost colors of yesteryear. Often, working with nothing more than a black-and-white photo, or with the description of a color, found scribbled on the back of an envelope, postmarked in 1947, the Can's been able to reproduce the exact formula for a certain shade of oil-based enamel.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-02-04 09:10 ]

DARN!
I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA GET THE FOREST GREEN BOX
NOT THE MOONLIGHT GRAY ONE!
:(

This is what gets me. While us loyal students are sitting at Woofmutt's feet, receiving a valuable education, we always have some smartass troll trying to incite trouble and bait Woofmutt with comments, like,
"I'm painting my paneling with walnut wood stain. Wood stain is my favorite kind of paint."

Or even worse, some newbie with 2 posts starts a thread about WALLPAPER! Sheeesh!

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-02-04 10:17 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies