Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hung a 12'x14' tapa cloth on my ceiling! Another one 4/20 (heh, heh)!

Pages: 1 23 replies

Spent the last couple of weekends on this project...

Ultra white ceiling needs attention!

Went to work building framing.

Hanging the frame.

And hanging the tapa.

Still some tweaking and finish work to do, but you get an idea of what I am going for!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-04-20 16:42 ]

I

Thanks for posting! I have a similar sized piece of tapa, that will also someday (this year? - cover my own white ceiling. Seeing your own work will inspire me to get rolling on my effort.

Vern

L

Nice work and great idea.

Really transforms that room.

Beautiful! I love the exposed bamboo frame.

Did you have to knock off a bank to buy a tapa that big? I especially liked the pictures of all 4 views of the ultra white ceiling :lol:

Looks awesome...can't wait to see it live!!! Nice job. :)

Thanks everyone for the props!

Decided to go with the exposed bamboo frame so I could maneuver the cloth easier.

Used 8 1/4" eye bolts to secure the frame to the ceiling. This was the hard sell to the wife having to drill 8 rather large holes in the ceiling to secure another 8 1/4" eye bolts into 140 lb each toggle wing nuts.

The framework hangs down about 5 inches. This provided enough "wiggle" room to adjust the tapa and not hang down too far.

Tapa is not as stiff as I thought it would be. In our initial attempts to even out the cloth we found it was sagging in some of the open areas without framing.
Still playing around with additional framing to make the cloth hang properly without having too much of the frame showing.

The actual frame is 10'x14' and we ended up folding about 1 foot on each side of the frame to make the tapa fit. The ceiling was not big enough expose the entire 12' width.

The tapa is currently being held on either end with 4 spring clamps. This is helping to stretch the tapa out so I can secure it with something else later.

I will post more pictures when I finish.

I am very happy with the progress thus far.

PTD

P

Nice way to handle yet another "curse of the white ceiling"!
I have been dealing with mine, too.
That Tapa you found is really nice! like the overlapping bamboo frame,too!
If you want to have the rest of the ceiling blend in to the tapa design, you might consider creating some very simple stamps with a camping mat ,(which has a really nice texture of it's own), like I did, using the dominant, or on the edge of your tapa, brown tone.
just somthing to create a similar visual texture. home depot is really good at matching paint colors. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for the idea. At this point in time, I think I may have overwhelmed the wife a little, so I am going to lay low on the border for now. I may start the subliminal suggestions soon and see where it goes from there.

Thanks again,

PTD

Psyche, I thought we were bros.....white ceilings ya' know............now? I don't know. We gotta talk. How did you convince her? Diamond ring? Bottle of wine? Sweet talk?

A little more progress today...

Finished the cross sections of bamboo. The hardest part was re-positioning the Stockton Islander glass float lamp. Luckily, I was able to drop it down almost parallel to the outside framing.

Got to tweak the ends and do some more jute wrapping around the frame and I will be done!

PTD

On 2009-02-09 16:44, Jungle Trader wrote:
Psyche, I thought we were bros.....white ceilings ya' know............now? I don't know. We gotta talk. How did you convince her? Diamond ring? Bottle of wine? Sweet talk?

'trader,

Chip away at the stone bro, chip away at the stone...

To be quite honest and much to my delight, this was totally her idea! I guess that is what happens when I drag crap home and leave it lying around. Subliminal suggestions and TC complaints about ultra white ceilings didn't hurt either. End result wasn't bad either...

PTD

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2009 5:17 PM

Looks good. You could have wallpaper glued it to the ceiling. Depends on your long term and it would leave some residue on the ceiling if you pulled it down.

You might get some small bamboo to stick in there as more support for sagging areas. The tapa can hold it in place and you can cut it to length to over lap a few inches and just slide it in as support. I did similar stuff to support thatch in a bamboo framing.

If you are willing to take the time, you can get large tapa cloth for under $1 a square foot.

Swanky,

Thanks for the feedback. I found the areas that were sagging improved greatly by what you suggested. I fed some cross sections of bamboo through the middle and this alleviated quite a bit of the sagging.

I tried not to damage the tapa in any way. Even though you are saying you can find it for $1.00 per square ft, it seemed like such a nice piece I am trying to keep it it's original condition (and I didn't pay nearly that much for it). Gluing it to the ceiling was not an option for me at this time either for both aesthetic and the reason posted above.

It sure makes a huge difference to the ambiance of the room and the general mood!

PTD

PTD
good job!
:)

I like how it's Not Perfect!

(just my 2 cents)

Congrats PTD!

On 2009-02-10 07:22, RevBambooBen wrote:

(just my 2 cents)

Congrats PTD!

Ben,

That's not fair...some advise perhaps, please! Define perfect??

Loving it anywayz!

PTD

On 2009-02-10 07:27, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2009-02-10 07:22, RevBambooBen wrote:

(just my 2 cents)

Congrats PTD!

Ben,

That's not fair...some advise perhaps, please! Define perfect??

Loving it anywayz!

PTD

PTD,

I like it!

"Perfect" has " No Reason" in "Tiki!"

No advise needed. :)

Keep up the good work!

more. More. MORE!

Thanks Ben,

I appreciate all of the feedback I have received thus far, but I respect your opinion most of all. Either the ribbing about the ceiling or the lack of continuity in the room was my inspiration, but in the end it really makes a difference.

Mahalo,

D

Hung a smaller one up for tikihammer today...

This one is 6'x6'. Am in the finishing phases of repainting, reflooring and remoulding the room.

tikihammer is a cartographer, so this one with the compass point fits nice in the room and goes well with the Witco headboard!

Later,

PTD

K

Psycho Tiki, Love the tapa you used on your ceiling. Been working on my own room and searching for some tapa with those colors - only tones of brown. Don't need that big though, only need two about 4'x8'. Will be heading to OA in a few weeks (from out of state), but they have told me over the phone that they only have tapa with black, similar to the smaller one in your post. Can you tell me where you found yours?

On 2009-04-22 20:15, Koitiki wrote:
Psycho Tiki, Love the tapa you used on your ceiling. Been working on my own room and searching for some tapa with those colors - only tones of brown. Don't need that big though, only need two about 4'x8'. Will be heading to OA in a few weeks (from out of state), but they have told me over the phone that they only have tapa with black, similar to the smaller one in your post. Can you tell me where you found yours?

These were all purchased at my local flea market. The bigger ones I bought from a lady who had purchased a storage unit at auction. The other two smaller pieces were purchased at the same flea market from another seller. I used to see tapa more frequently before I was into tiki and still see them on occasion.

PTD

Nice job, looks great. I super-dig the bead-curtain-thing, I've never seen that before.

K

On 2009-04-23 05:35, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

These were all purchased at my local flea market. The bigger ones I bought from a lady who had purchased a storage unit at auction. The other two smaller pieces were purchased at the same flea market from another seller. I used to see tapa more frequently before I was into tiki and still see them on occasion.

PTD

Thanks PTD. I'm assuming you're talking about a flea market in California. I got a sweet deal on the bamboo for my room from Craigslist, but have yet to find a good flea market around Austin. Really missing the Rose Bowl flea market about now. Wonder if that's as good as it used to be.

Hey Duane...I found a contractor who is willing to install the tapa on my ceiling. I bought that 10x12 foot piece from Mike so this is going to be a huge job. I was thinking of having the tapa glued to my ceiling and then next year forking out for some bamboo grids and other options to finish it off. Will send you an email for advice and going to share this thread with the contractor. Your pictures and directions will be a great help.

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2012-06-23 13:17 ]

Pages: 1 23 replies