Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

***March 21st - Lodge Night and Swap Meet with the Tikiyaki Orchestra !!! - BRING YOUR MUG !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies

CJ

On 2009-03-20 15:45, TikiG wrote:
Hello TC -

TikiG here to say I'm so looking forward to tomorrow night. Time to catch up on the latest from my friends Kirby, Jim, Dave, Tom etc etc. Awesome!

I'll have a table set-up with mostly paintings (50 or so!) that have never been shown to the public before. I'll be working deals if anyone is interested in purchasing a canvas.
Tiki, Polynesia, exotica and pop culture themes are represented in my works. Please stop by, say Hi!...check out my work.

Signing out until tomorrow evening. Cheers!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeves.

S
squid posted on Fri, Mar 20, 2009 6:27 PM

Initiates may be wise to purchase tix in advance.

2 sets. The swearing in will be before the second set. We start makin' noise at 9:00 so I'm guessing we should wrap it up no later than 11:30-midnight.

It is so.

thank you oh exalted Squid.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

S
squid posted on Fri, Mar 20, 2009 8:17 PM

Don't be late or you will miss Brother Thor's performance on the "Theatrical" organ.

So we're desperate for opening acts and it shows.

What do you people want for 10 bucks???

No refunds after Brother Thor's performance. I mean it.

Really.

T

Just a quick reminder to all.

PLEASE BRING A MUG TO DRINK OUT OF.

They're not too stocked with glassware at the mayflower, and they'll most likely have plastic cups.

PLUS, you'll look alot cooler if you're drinking out of a stylish Tiki mug....I'm just sayin.

S
squid posted on Fri, Mar 20, 2009 9:27 PM

Of course you could always BUY a mug from one of the fine vendors at the flea market!!!!!

Wanted to go but we have a kid turning 14 tomorrow!!!

Where does the time go?

Have fun without the Boo's!

We're sure you's will's!!!

S

On 2009-03-20 21:54, RevBambooBen wrote:
Wanted to go but we have a kid turning 14 tomorrow!!!

Where does the time go?

Have fun without the Boo's!

We're sure you's will's!!!

:( ....sniff...

Tikiyaki and Thor playing with his Theatrical Organ!

I wish we could go, but we are still chained to the studio on this movie thang. We'll wear our fezes while we work.

Have fun one and all.

Jen

S

On 2009-03-21 10:33, Skinny Dog wrote:
Tikiyaki and Thor playing with his Theatrical Organ!

I wish we could go, but we are still chained to the studio on this movie thang. We'll wear our fezes while we work.

Have fun one and all.

Jen

:( Miss you guys!

Sorry, I got Buffet and Chesney tix...
front row...
i'll pay Jim my Double-dues next time i see him!
have fun kids...
Hug a bunch of cool old people for me!

WooHoo! Just got our fezzes out and dusted them off :)

Getting my stuff ready and packed up. I'm looking forward to seeing what the ladies auxillary thinks of my polynesian style purses! See you there for "HAWAIIAN BAND NIGHT" at the Lodge!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-03-21 12:12 ]

have a great time all,
wish I could be there.

here is a pic of me and JP and Kirby and Polly at Halloween,
this was the Hat I would have worn tonight, (far left)

jeff will be attending the Buffet and Chesney concert with me...
you can see where his true musical love lies....
:)

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, we miss you too my little Squidlet!

TM

All I have to add is that Marty Lush is like a God to me.

S

Then you should really join his fan club...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38642660783&ref=mf

All right....leaving now. I'm wearing my fez, so if I'm the only one wearing one when I get there, I'm going to be pissed. I hope no one tries to kick my ass for wearing a fez and not being a Shriner!

CJ

Extra/Free ticket for tonight for the first person to email me.

I just got back from Old World and DTB and my friend who is visiting got plastered so he won't be attending tonight.

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-03-21 19:26 ]

Curses and a big, fat "waaaa!" I couldn't make it after all. I expect photos, people.

S
squid posted on Sun, Mar 22, 2009 2:52 AM

On 2009-03-21 23:16, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Curses and a big, fat "waaaa!" I couldn't make it after all. I expect photos, people.

We were in the 818 just for YOU!!! What kinda love is that? I mean, even Thor made it! You got some 'splainin' to do....

:)

I'm taking the fifth. (Amendment, that is.) But it's nice to know I was missed. I have no doubt it was a rockin' great tikitime. I want more posts so I can live vicariously through others.

D
Danno posted on Sun, Mar 22, 2009 8:54 AM

Unfortunately, I had to leave after the first set last night, BUT, WOW what a great first set! Definitely glad that I went! Picked up a couple of things, met new people, had my books signed by Sven! BUT the best time was catching Tikiyaki’s performance for the first time. Awesome job guys! I’m definitely in the “fan club” and will be catching future performances.

Where's the photos of this awesome event that was scheduled just so I couldn't attend it?

Mahalo, Mahalo, Mahalo ONCE AGAIN to Tikiyaki, The Tikiyaki Orchestra, all the Vendors, and The Mayflower Ohana. What Tiki-rrific Night!!

WooHoo! What a privilege to be an "Official" Member of The Mystic Order of Tikiyaki

Yeah, great night. Got to see C-Al and Tony M and Suzanne and, of course, those crazy, kooky Tikiyaki cats. You guys were spectacular! What a show. I actually ran into an old pally I haven't seen in about 12 years. How about that Mayflower space? It's a pretty swell hang. I'm a little slow, but I'll get around to meeting more of you in events to come. Thanks for a good time.

Joel aka Sonny

Why am I not surprised that Woohoo posted the first pics? Whoohoo for Whoohoo! She is our Tiki Cheerleader Captain. Okay, now I'm going to make poi pancakes just to console myself on the drizzly L.A. morning. (Don't make that face! They're delicious!)

Thanx to everyone who made it out last night. It's an honor and a privilege to have you all as members of the The Mystic Order of Tikiyaki.

Vendors - Thank you guys for all the great stuff I came home with. I'm pretty sure every cent I made with the band last night is now in your pockets !

Sven - Bargain basement prices on rare tiki stuffs - Awesome.

Tiki Ray - Costume Master ! Now THAT was a Water Buffalo hat !

How about that Mayflower Club ? What a great spot, huh ? And the bartenders followed the Trader Vics Mai Tai recipe to the letter. What else can you ask for ?

I like this Tiki Swap meet thing.....We'll have to do it again real soon. And, it is so !

All hail Maestro Tikiyaki!

great fun...
good times...

I had such a blast! The one regret I had is I clearly didn't bring enough cash. So many cool things.

The Mayflower Club were great hosts, and really enjoyed the night. Numerous times I was referring people to the Tikiyaki URL, wanting to know more about the band. When I was getting some food, one of the ladies asked, "I don't remember fezzes being from Hawaii?" Wasn't sure how to respond to that! Smiling, I was thinking to myself, "Um... sorry, your Hawaiian night has been overthrown by the Tiki Gods tonight." :wink: Little did they know they didn't really want a Hawaiian night... we know how to party... we did good.

Here's a few more pics . . .
Lodge Brothers Secret Handshake?

Cheesecake pose (sorry couldn't resist)

Vendor area

Getting sworn in!

(super white ghost hand. Aack.)
Proud to be a newly sworn in member of The Mystic Order of Tikiyaki!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-03-22 12:42 ]

We didn't know there was a hat contest before we decided to go. This was a last minute "throw together". Tiki Ray won this beautiful volcano bowl by Squid and Thor and the funny thing is he doesn't drink. Crazy Al gets credit for the proper use of the bowl.........

We had an awesome time at this event! It was so great to see so many new vendors with unique new pieces and it was so fun shopping for retro kitsch at the same time! We came home with moths in our pockets.

Boy, what a FUN night! The music and mai tais were great. I bought a Capt. Sqully mug and got to drool over the Shrunken Head bowl. And I got to meet some great guys from the forum!

Hey, I think this thread does not have enough photos yet: :)

Let's not forget: The Mayflower Club is housed in a mid-century modern A-Frame!:

They knew we were coming:

The banner of the mystic Tikiyaki order:

The members perform their ritual (they sounded GREAT!):

The Traders area:

Newcastle on tap! ....but the Mai Tais were good, too:

The "Bangers in a Bun" Ladies:

The Grand Poobah watched over all:

What a fun evening! Great place, people, music and toys = great vibes! Let's do it again.

CJ

CA

Fun fun fun! Ya'ba do Time!

best part was having Mayflower members party with us in there original get-ups that might find there way to the venders area someday.... One of APE's best gigs was for a social club meeting. We were part of the 'dissertation' on Exotica..... The average age was 65... older and younger... we blew there minds as they thought the music we played faded away long ago.... as we know... NOT! it was a huge hit. I grew up with my grandparents... I love these folks company!

V

Darn!!! Damn it!dagnabit, !@#$%!!! I wish I had gone.that looked like it would have been a hoot!

bummed I missed it, got home at 10:15 after the wedding party.
was beat tired, and I thought about jamming up there.
but I realized I would have got there, just before or at wrapping up time.
:(

by the way, what is JonPaul wearing on his head?
it looks like a dead Squid(no offense Dave) :wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-03-23 11:58 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Mar 23, 2009 3:03 PM

Just wanted to say Thank You to all who helped with this event. I really appreciate the hard work it is to pull something like this off.

Tikiyaki Orchestra? Fantastic. Bless You Guys..

To the tiki people who bought my paintings, THANKS. I love you all. Enjoy the art...

And to all I had a chance to hang out with or briefly in passing...'til next time stay cool. Oh yeah, Don the Beachcomber April 18th - 2009 is shaping up to be one hell of a tiki year isn't it?

Cheers! Greg

On 2009-03-22 15:06, Tiki Kiniki wrote:

Marty Lush, was that a Condom in your pocket or were you just happy to see us?? When ya buy a used jacket at a Tikiyaki flee market that's what ya find in the pocket, for free yet yikes! Too funny. GOOD TIMES & Thanks! This was a gas of a event, great loot and prices and a Orchestra ta-boot!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 23, 2009 6:15 PM

No pics of the Buzzcave????

They made me vend from inside a closet because I was from San Diego and considered an outsider. :(

You can see a slice of me
right there
in the Buzzcave
:down:

:up:

I did get to talk to a few people when they walked in, but they were there because they thought it was the restroom and quickly left when they saw that it was only me and my tiki crap.

I had a good time in there anyway, just to spite all of you!
Buzzy Out! (of the closet?)

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-03-23 18:31 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-03-23 18:55 ]

CJ

Buzzy in

Poor Buzzy.
did they shut the door when the band played?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

GT

Great Music, Great Friends And Host! What a fun night, Thanks All! Some pictures of the event:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies