Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Countdown for LA Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

O

Getting close. The inspectors have delayed the opening according to Trader John. The Chinese oven being one issue they are not used to dealing with. They are still working hard to open ASAP and the people at LA Live were all having fun and packing the place next door last night.
I'll post more pictures when Trader Vic's is ready. Here are a couple of the exterior from last night.

I'd like to see a Tiki Central night at Trader Vic's like Tiki Ti has.
My vote is for Thursday or Sunday night since I am in LA those nights.
I think you are all going to be jazzed when you first walk in. I am pretty jaded and I was shocked when I entered. Talk about transporting one self! Great job Trader John.

That tile is pretty contempo...

Fitting in that area.

Anymore pics or exact dates?? :)

I'd be up for a Sun nite TC nite at trader vics.
as its not as busy as fri. or sat.
I'm off monday,
and Tiki Ti is not open on sun.
so if I am up for a drink on sun in LA area.
I have to go to BH TV and I'm kinda over that hassle.

please update when the Opening will be, when known.
thanks for the updates Tim.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-04-19 08:55, Ojaitimo wrote:
Getting close. The inspectors have delayed the opening according to Trader John. The Chinese oven being one issue they are not used to dealing with. They are still working hard to open ASAP . . .

Nice photos.

Is everything ready, or not quite?
Just 4 biz days left.

The inspectors delayed the opening?
Doesn't Phil Anschutz own AEG and therefore LA Live.
Doesn't he have enough clout to have the inspectors grant a conditional or temporary permit? He certainly has enough $$$ to pay them to look the other way.

On 2009-04-20 18:20, christiki295 wrote:

Getting close. The inspectors have delayed the opening according to Trader John. The Chinese oven being one issue they are not used to dealing with. They are still working hard to open ASAP . . .

Nice photos.

Is everything ready, or not quite?
Just 4 biz days left.

The inspectors delayed the opening?
Doesn't Phil Anschutz own AEG and therefore LA Live.
Doesn't he have enough clout to have the inspectors grant a conditional or temporary permit? He certainly has enough $$$ to pay them to look the other way.

Even Frankies Tiki Room in Vegas ( 1200 sq ft?) was able to get a temporary permit for their opening in Dec. 08. ( now full fledge).

I REALLY dig that entry! Serious!! That bamboo-ish tile rocks! Can't wait to see Danny's Tikis out there with it!

For a " Mall" type store front, it's gonna POP!!!

...and blow away the others!

T

Ive been a union construction foreman for 20+ years working mostly in LA county . I spent 3 years at a Kaiser hospital job which could have been finished in a year and a half . But these days the paperwork is more important that than the final product . If something happens such as an earthquake or a pipe bursting, look out because they want to go back through the records to see who inspected it and installed it and have their heads on a stick .You can do everything possible to make it as safe as possible but when an earthquake come , Mother Nature always wins .
Just to mount an anchor in the concrete ceiling is a major task. First you find an inspector available to watch you drill the hole overhead , then the next day you have to set an appointment to get him to that area again to confirm that it is still a hole and then you can set the anchor and torque it to specs . Then you need to set an apointment 2 days later to get him back there to retorque it where he might finally sign it off .This is just one of thousands of anchors in the building . Now add in plumbing , electrical , sheet metal ducts, a/c piping and all the cosmetics for decor . Then you have temp inspections , punchlists and hopefully you will get a final signoff in the near future . Thats just mechanical, dont forget health inspections going on as well.
In a high profile area such as this , you are lucky to be getting this establishment this early . Remember, the bigger the name, the bigger the building, the bigger the problems.

T

I'd like to see a Tiki Central night at Trader Vic's like Tiki Ti has.

At the grand opening party for the Chicago Trader Vic's last week, the general manager, Pallava, told me that he is shipping out to L.A. to be the GM at the new Vic's out there.

Before Chicago, Pallava was at Atlanta.

He's a younger guy who gets Tiki, or at least understands the importance of our crowd in supporting and hyping a Tiki restaurant.

He approached me about reviving Tabu Tiki Night in Chicago, and I'd be that he'd be into having a regular event for the TC regulars in L.A. as well.

Give him a month or two to catch his breath (he is moving out there today, I think, and he is going to have a lot on his plate getting things up and running), but then talk to him about it.

If a TC person wants to step up to organize and plan the event, it just might happen for you.

The website now has a countdown clock on its site, so this Saturday may happen.

Dropping my tikis off thurs morning.

TS

I had read May 2nd on the site earlier today....?
http://www.tradervicsla.com/

And no more count-down clock, either.

Clock's back, now, and looks like it's counting down to midnight, Friday night,May 1.

CJ

On 2009-04-24 21:33, robtikiti wrote:
A peek inside, but this is just between you and me, okay?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackcat/3471907175/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackcat/3472718418/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackcat/3472721508/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackcat/3472725348/

looks awesome! thank you very much but I suggest keeping things a secret until the opening...not sure about others but I would like to be surprised.

I felt very privileged to be invited to a small gathering of friends and family that was celebrating the passing of all the inspections yesterday evening. This was done with a Hawaiian-style blessing of the locale, and live music and drinks.

The above photos make it look like the place is finished, but it is not quite. The exterior, and a lot of details have to be installed, still. But John Valencia and his crew did a magician's job at setting everything up so it looked complete, with a running bar and kitchen (AND flaming Chinese oven!) serving cocktails and appetizers.

I am very happy to say that this Trader Vic fully succeeds in the idea of creating an oasis, a haven from the world outside. And it does so in classic Polynesian style, while being completely contemporary. It may suffice that I ran around with a smile on my face all evening long.

I do not think that these photos reveal too much, and give all a taste of this new port of call in downtown L.A.:

a happy John Valencia with the dancers

John SR. and John JR.

Reverend Neil McHenry brakes the bag of salt

The anointing of the place

other offerings that were partaken in gladly

Me chewing some delectable Trader Vic tidbit, with Chicago ex-pat, now L.A. general manager Pallava

These guys smiled inwardly

Tiki Diablo's outside guardians awaiting erection

Wow, looks great in there !

I can't wait!!

CJ

OH BOY!!

Pallava has left Chicago already!!!? Well... they must send him around to open new locations. He is one terrific host!

Trader Vic’s Los Angeles @ LA LIVE
800 W Olympic Blvd. A120
Los Angeles, CA 90015

Official Opening Date is Saturday May 2nd, 2009

Hours of Operations

Sunday to Thursday 4:00PM to 12:00

Friday and Saturday 4:00PM to 2AM

Live Entertainment on Friday and Saturday starting at 7:00PM

please go to
http://www.opentable.com to make your reservations.

Look forward to seeing you all, Mahalo

H

opentable.com doesn't seem to be working too well for TV, yet. Can you give us a direct phone number to make reservations?

• Looking forward.

Opentable.com says that the earliest date they're accepting reservations for is Sunday, May 3rd.

Is that because Saturday is now sold out, or is the sytem just not working properly???

If the latter, then I second the request for a direct # we can call to make reservations by phone.

And the place looks gorgeous, by the way! Can't wait to go!

Cheers & Mahalo :drink: :tiki:

Sat May 2nd is Fully booked,if we get any cancellations I will re post.

Mahalo

CJ

We made reservations for 7pm on sunday. Figured we could go after Ben's nooner.

On 2009-04-26 00:29, TraderJohn wrote:
Trader Vic’s Los Angeles @ LA LIVE

Live Entertainment on Friday and Saturday starting at 7:00PM

Look forward to seeing you all, Mahalo

I like the live entertainment!

M
Murph posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2009 9:16 PM

We're in for Sunday.
Perfect timing we have a Birthday to celebrate.

O

Looking good John. Had the LA Trader Vic's Big Kahuna flaming drink which was excellent. Chinese oven looks hot too!
Finishing touches are being installed over the next few days to be ready for next weekend. I wanted to wait until the floats and baskets are installed to show more so here are a few for now. Can't wait to see it complete.

edited to remove a few pictures that I posted too soon. Sorry John, just excited!

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5344/49f55655.jpg
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5344/49f55593.jpg

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5344/49f554a7.jpg)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-04-28 00:59 ]

Are those "whoopie-floats"? Better check before you sit... :lol:

This looks very promising. We'll be sending out a canoe from the island with a recon party, and on the prowl for Flaming Beef Cho-Chos...

Oooo.

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-04-27 10:14 ]

Does anyone know if the bar is open to the public on Saturday, May 2nd? I know the dining room is already booked, but we were thinking of dropping by for a drink, and to check the place out. If Trader John knows, please let us know. I was planning on bringing friends and wouldn't want their first experience at the new LA Vic's to be turned away at the door. But would love to step through the doors on opening night, if it's possible.

BTW - Great to see some of the treasures from the Trader Vic's warehouse make their way to the new location! We saw that Papua New Guinea mask when we were at the warehouse sale last year, and were hoping it would find its way south.

Also, it would be great to organize a Tiki Central night there. Bet the turnout would be pretty good!

CJ

Lounge will be open at 4:00PM no reservation needed.

Any word on a Happy Hour? I'm guessing $5 drinks and 1/2 priced appetizers like Scottsdale might be too much to hope for, but everywhere in Downtown LA has some sort of HH deals. I'm guessing weekdays only, but any specs would be appreciated as I ready my liver for launch...

N

Woo Hoo! The Wahines can be as wild as we want.

T

I'm getting excited! I read this today:

The décor at Trader Vic's at L.A. LIVE reflects the elements of the traditional tiki bar: beautiful carved wood, tiki masks, tribal décor, lots of plants, and comfortable booths and tables. The glass-enclosed Chinese oven sits centered in the back of the restaurant, so patrons can watch the master chefs at work. Much of the décor was created by a family in Tonga, including the tribal tapa cloth on the walls and the carved wooden doors and wall panel. Some items have come from other Trader Vic's locations, such as the outrigger that hangs from the ceiling in the event room, which came from the Dallas location, and part of the bar, which came from the Chicago location; the other part of the bar came from Osaka, Japan.

"Traditional", YES! It looks like Happy Hour is daily from 4:00 to 6:00, plus Tuesday is Tiki Central night!:

Live entertainment is featured Friday and Saturday, and drink specials are available from 4-6 pm daily during "Tiki Time." Trader Vic's at L.A. LIVE will also be hosting Mai Tai Mondays with a special invitation to people who work in the restaurant industry; and Tiki Central Tuesdays for the faithful tiki fans who belong to that group, and other special evenings.

Full article:
http://in.sys-con.com/node/937167

We have a few seats left in the Dinning Room for Sat and the Bar lounge will also be open.
check on http://www.opentable.com for reservations.

Come out Sat we will make the room for TC !

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2009-04-27 21:19 ]

CJ

On 2009-04-27 21:18, TraderJohn wrote:
We have a few seats left in the Dinning Room for Sat and the Bar lounge will also be open.
check on http://www.opentable.com for reservations.

Come out Sat we will make the room for TC !

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2009-04-27 21:19 ]

Open table is stating that internet reservations are only available for the 3rd and after but I would love to come Saturday instead. Is there another way to make reservations for Saturday?

We seem to be having issues with Open table, please check tomorrow or call
213 785 3330 after 4:00PM to book your reservations.

CJ

On 2009-04-27 22:11, TraderJohn wrote:
We seem to be having issues with Open table, please check tomorrow or call
213 785 3330 after 4:00PM to book your reservations.

Will there be a menu posted on the website prior to the grand opening?

Quote:
"Live entertainment is featured Friday and Saturday, and drink specials are available from 4-6 pm daily during "Tiki Time."

Does anyone know if there will be live music opening day, Saturday May 2nd? And if so, what time?

S

I was wondering that, as well. Also, wondering if the "drink specials" will be a-flowin' on opening day?
The Boyfriend and I definitely wanna hit the Lounge on Saturday as a little pre-birthday for me (May 6 = 41! ack!). I'll need plenty of mai tais to start the birthday week off right!

:)

On 2009-04-29 14:56, MolokaiMike wrote:
Quote:
"Live entertainment is featured Friday and Saturday, and drink specials are available from 4-6 pm daily during "Tiki Time."

Does anyone know if there will be live music opening day, Saturday May 2nd? And if so, what time?

CJ
T

So cool to see Sven and Grog get a mention in that article . But what about the esteemed carver Danny ?

T

I just read this whole thread for the first time and I'm, a little confused.

When Bamboo Ben was building Frankies here in Vegas he told me his next project was the Trader Vics in L.A.

Yet it doesn't seem like he had anything to do with it.

:-? :-? :-?

I'm sure it's been expressed, but can I just chime in and state how happy I am that this place looks as awesome as it does? I was so afraid we were going to get something like TV's Las Vegas. Instead we have a place that more completely expresses the Polynesian aspect than the Beverly Hills TV's ever did. I can't WAIT to get back to LA!

Chris

We are indeed all filled with confidence that this Trader Vic's will show to the world that a new Polynesian restaurant CAN be classic "Tiki" style and contemporary at the same time.

A few more shots from last week's opening ceremony and blessing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackcat/sets/72157617585057842/

Enjoy!

B

Okay, definitely going to Vic's next time I fly into LA.. That place rocks, I really need to get me a set of those plates too... Thanks for posting the link to the pictures.. Love to see more..

O

LA Trader Vic's May 1,2009 Eve of opening day

Great Photos!

We had an Awesome time last night. Everything was perfect.
Beautiful decor! Stunning tikis! Excellent drinks and Delicious food!
The sea bass blew us away! The Staff was top notch! Music and dancers
very entertaining! Tiki folks always a blast!

Congratulations Trader Vic's LA! Look forward to many memorable
times in your wonderful new diggs!

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies