Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Countdown for LA Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

C
Chub posted on Sat, May 2, 2009 11:04 PM

We didn't have a reservation, but still got a seat for two tonight (opening night). Everything was perfect. Our waitress was very attentive and fast. The food was great and both drinks I had were top notch. I will be back many, many times. I probably am in real trouble since this place is 10 minutes from me. Thanks Vic.

[ Edited by: chub 2009-05-03 09:02 ]

O

Nice story in the LA Times
former Beverly Hills haunt adds tiki-torch flair to L.A. Live.
By Scott T. Sterling
May 1, 2009
There was much sorrow among history buffs and tiki aficionados alike when the iconic Beverly Hills bar Trader Vic's shut its doors in spring 2007. The old-school watering hole, which opened in 1955, had fostered a sense of L.A. history despite the perpetual renovations and changes happening all around its location at the intersection of Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards.

After months of rumors and speculation, Trader Vic's returns Saturday to Southern California with an expanded and updated version in downtown's sprawling L.A. Live entertainment complex on the corner of Olympic Boulevard and Figueroa Street. With picture windows looking out onto Olympic, this super-sized version of the classic Polynesian experience is essentially two places in one.

The front half is a party-ready bar area, complete with a wrought-iron enclosed patio outside. But deeper inside is the plush, wood-paneled dining room, where booths line the custom tapa cloth-covered walls, with everything focused around the giant Chinese wood-fired oven located at the back of the room. There is a posh private event room adjacent to the dining area, with an impressive outrigger imported from the Dallas Trader Vic's hanging above the room's huge communal table. And, of course, there are tikis, large and small, everywhere.

Related

• Inside the new Trader Vic's
    Photos:
    Inside the new Trader Vic's

Ads by Google

LA Bars, Clubs & Lounges

Get the latest spin on LA nightlife with Thrillist Free Daily Emails

Thrillist.com

"Green" Food

Get Updated On Hippest & Hottest Places To Eat Organic & Vegan Food

IdealBite.com/LosAngeles

Corkbar

Downtown Los Angeles WineBar Open Daily for Lunch & Dinner

http://www.corkbar.com
While this new Trader Vic's has been painstakingly detailed to maintain a warm, "Tiki Nation"-approved atmosphere, owner John Valencia admits a few concessions had to be made in order to fit the outsized surroundings of L.A. Live.

"Yes, there are TVs in the bar area and one in the private dining room," Valencia said while touring the freshly completed space recently. "We're literally next door to the Staples Center, so we have to be ready to accommodate a sports crowd -- and look forward to the Lakers having a long playoff run this year. But we did it as discreetly as possible."

Valencia flew in the Rev. Neal Harper McHenry (a.k.a. "The Big Kahuna") from Hawaii to preside over a traditional blessing ceremony for the new space, anointing both rooms with water from the Pacific Ocean, salt and a tea plant stalk. Waiters passed trays of steak and chicken seared in the Chinese oven alongside other Trader Vic's favorites, such as the Crab Rangoon.

But this being Trader Vic's, arguably the home of the first mai tai and notorious for huge, rum-soaked drinks, the emphasis is squarely on the cocktails. Waitresses in Polynesian dresses served up a selection of drinks, starting with the latest Trader Vic's concoction: the Big Kahuna. This signature cocktail for the L.A. location comes in a special edition tiki mug, which is for sale (serious tiki collectors have been placing advance orders for weeks). Topped with a wedge of lime, it's a flavorful alternative to the mai tai. The coconut-flavored Chi Chi (which eschews rum for vodka and triple sec) is appropriately served in a coconut-shaped ceramic mug. The Trader Vic's Grog is laden with enough pineapple and passion fruit juice to cleverly mask the dark rum lurking within. But it was the almond-tinged mai tai that packed the most potent punch of the bunch.

With hula dancers swaying to the live Hawaiian music on the bar-area stage, Valencia seemed genuinely optimistic about bringing this blockbuster tiki experience to the neon explosion that is L.A. Live

"This is the 75-year anniversary of Trader Vic's, and the excitement I've felt from people about this place has been tremendous," he said. "Hospitality is a large part of the Polynesian culture, and we look forward to welcoming guests into this new era."

[email protected]

Trader Vic's Los Angeles
Where: 800 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite A120, L.A.

When: 5 p.m. to midnight Sundays to Thursdays, 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays

Price: Possible cover charge depending on the night or live performance

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-05-05 13:52 ]

CA

holy tikis!! Danny's tikis look like they were pluck right out of the Caliente tropics parking lot!! Damn! this is fantastic and the similarity to Leroy's work should only be exalted... Leroy should be siting on a throne being fanned by the topless.. as Danny carves at his feet... tiki Lives!! they make the place what is is before you ever get inside the joint!! Now for the rest of the tikis???? the place is nice! staff seems to be committed!!! Thanks for the invite!!!!

I really enjoyed my virgin quest over the weekend, definitely in the upper sphere of TV's I've been to.
The Good:
The place looks great. Kudos to everyone involved, it exceeded my expectations in terms of decor, design and attention to detail. The staff was friendly and well-trained in terms of the menu and drink recommendations. The bar staff seemed to be zipping along already, the drinks were all well-balanced.

The Bad (But still pretty good):
It pains me to say it, but the new formula Trader Vic syrups are just plain awful. Despite the bartenders best efforts, who did produce some nice cocktails, some of the drinks have that heavy medicinal after-taste which reminded me why I don't buy ANY of the TV mixers any more.

The Ugly:
No Almond Duck Tidbits on the menu. A classic. My all-time favorite. Sadly missing. Where do I start my petition to add it to the PuPu menu?

LT

For posterity's sake it might be a good idea to keep a running inventory of all the artist's contributions.

T
thejab posted on Tue, May 5, 2009 6:00 PM

Does anyone know their hours? Their web site used to state they open at 4, with a daily happy hour 4-6, but now it doesn't show their hours. But that LA Times article states they open at 5:00.

im pretty sure its
4 pm to midnite, sun to thurs.
4 pm to 2 am fri and sat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I went last night for the 1st tiki night at Trader Vics.
had a From Scratch Mai Tai, tasted good, but seemed a tad light on the rum.
had a Navy Grog, tasted great, but they used 1 oz. light 1 oz. gold, and 1 oz dark rum. Isn't it supposed to be 3 oz. dark rum? hmmmmmmm???
had the Big Kahuna just to get the mug, the drink was not to my liking at all.
too light to much grenadine, and too much sweet stuff in it.
after 1/3 of it, I asked him to pour it out.
I got a headache from it.

the Decor is great, but a tad on the light side.
but I don't think a New TV's will ever look like the old ones.
Not Crazy about the flat screen TVs playing sports,
but being how close it is to the Sports complex, I'm sure that's a must have there, will just have to live with it.

the Food, off the Hook amazing as always at any Vics.
kudos on that.

I will def. be back many many more times!!

as for parking, I didn't look for free street parking, but a block away.
there was a unlimited parking time, for 7 bucks flat rate.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Trader Vics Los Angeles

Open 7 days

Hours:
Sunday - Thursday
4PM - Midnight

Friday - Saturday
4PM - 2AM

Starting May 12th we will start serving lunch

11AM - 3PM

Tiki Time

Monday - Friday

4PM - 6PM

Tiki Central Night is Thursday

$3.00 off All Trader Vic's Cocktails

Tiki Central Night Thursday or Thirstday?! Let's see, I better start coming up with excuses to be in the downtown area Thursday afternoons now!!! :P

On another note....Well done John!!! Tiki Time is the right time!

On 2009-05-06 13:52, TraderJohn wrote:
Trader Vics Los Angeles

Open 7 days

Hours:
Sunday - Thursday
4PM - Midnight

Friday - Saturday
4PM - 2AM

Starting May 12th we will start serving lunch

11AM - 3PM

Tiki Time

Monday - Friday

4PM - 6PM

Tiki Central Night is Thursday

$3.00 off All Trader Vic's Cocktails

THanks for the clarification on this John.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

G

On 2009-05-06 12:37, bigtikidude wrote:
had a Navy Grog, tasted great, but they used 1 oz. light 1 oz. gold, and 1 oz dark rum. Isn't it supposed to be 3 oz. dark rum? hmmmmmmm???

Not exactly. Straight from the horse's mouth... (geez, I can't believe I remember this post almost 4 years later)

On 2005-09-10 22:07, martiki wrote:
The restauant recipe is juice from 1/2 lime, 3/4 oz grapefruit, dash simple syrup, 1/4-1/3 oz rum grog concentrate, and then the rum. This is where some of the locations differ. Emeryville uses 1 oz silver, 1 oz gold, 1 oz dark- all Trader Vic's brand. SF uses 1 oz gold, 1 oz dark and 1/2-3/4 oz Lemon Hart 151.

good to know,
thanks for that,
maybe I can ask for the darker version.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

O

About a block North I found plenty of free parking after 8pm. The area is well patroled by these cops on people movers. Close to some other cool areas like Bunker Hill, Historic District and the Fashion District. Next time I'll check out the Metro station and see how close it is.

I asked for the Phil Grog, they made one for me last night in a Gun Club mug. (This is not one of their drinks BTW, Bigbro suggested it once in a thread & I thought it was a good idea) Flaming Cho Chu and Duck Tacos were killer too!
Uh,..... Bad choice of words I mean they were great!

"I saw a weirdo drinking a Navy Grog at Trader Vic's and his hair was F#$% Up. AAA Ohhhh Weirdo of Beverly Hills :wink:

G

Please tell me they pull those absolutely gorgeous tikis in at night. I don't care how well they're bolted down, if they stay outside, someone will find a way to steal them. Both outdoor tiki ashtrays were recently stolen from the front entrance of the Mai-Kai, including a vintage original and a great replica cast by Wplugger.

On 2009-05-09 06:33, GatorRob wrote:
Please tell me they pull those absolutely gorgeous tikis in at night. I don't care how well they're bolted down, if they stay outside, someone will find a way to steal them. Both outdoor tiki ashtrays were recently stolen from the front entrance of the Mai-Kai, including a vintage original and a great replica cast by Wplugger.

LA Live does have excellent security and there is the "normal" LA Live guests (whatever amount that is as all LA Live places are relatively brand new), but Laker season will be over in about 2 1/2 more series and I believe the Avengers have been placed on hold this season, so there maybe not so much need for security until the Kings their season.

I remember the Tikis in front of the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach stayed there, however, with 1 exception which seemed to have been sawed from between the metal supports.

O

Yeah, I don't think we have to worry about someone taking Danny's Tiki. They are bolted to the ground and security would be on someone in a hot second. The area is well patrolled from what I've observed.
LA seems to want their own Times square and this is it.

When to TV, but missed ya'll. We got there early and were out pretty early, but not before downing TV Grog, Mai Tai (from scratch)...and a couple of other drinks...hic up.

It was nice being greeted by Danny's Tikis.....

I've got to figure out how to get out of work early....

This L.A. Times article was pointed out on one of the other LATV threads, but I thought I'd post the link here as well...

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/bars-and-clubs/la-et-night1-2009may01,0,5405092.story

(You'll have to cut & paste the link in a new browser window as the URL is probably too long to hyperlink)

And here are the nice accompanying pics, just to save you time:

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

O

Nice photos LAT! Anyone going to Tiki Central Thursday tomorrow?
Tiki Thursday thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32253&forum=17&22

O

They are now open for lunch from 11am to 3pm then happy hour 4pm -6pm.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-05-22 13:36 ]

A

As fine a way to spend 7 hours as I've ever heard of.

I got the e-mail about that Tim,
that starts on the 26th it said.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yep, you're right Jeff. As of today they begin serving lunch.

Last week at LA Live

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-05-26 12:25 ]

CJ

On 2009-05-02 11:59, Ojaitimo wrote:

looks like fun

CJ

Don't know about you guys but Trader Vic's seems like a great place to spend father's day

Excellent photos!
I think I missed half of that when I was there!

BTW, were all of those people waiting in line to go to Trader Vic's?

Thanks, cool place for photography. The line was for the Grammy Museum or the Nokia Theater at LA Live.
There is an event today at Trader Vic's Monday June 22 from 4pm to 8pm with music and hula dancers. John is also having a Tahitian rum tasting.

T

Went two weeks ago on a Thursday night and... well, apparently they're closing at 10:30pm already. Nobody was in there and they weren't too thrilled to see new customers walk in. Frankly can't see myself going back. Tried to call before we went but it went straight to an answering machine (even though they were open) telling you to check their web site for hours and reservations. Meaning don't call if you want to make a reservation or check to see if they're open. Going to LA live is not the easiest to place to just check out. So if Trader Vic's might be closed and there's no way of checking... I'll pass. A shame. Every other place was open that night since there was an event going on at Staples. Hmmmm... not a good sign when a bar starts closing its doors at 10:30pm.

[ Edited by: Tattoo 2009-10-13 19:17 ]

TS

I went Friday evening, and I have to say the place looks great, aesthetically speaking. I was there at 6:30pm and Jasmine our bartendress was real nice and genuine. She recommended the Kung Pao wings as a starter, and they were surprisingly delicious! She made some great drinks as well(not overpowering, but just right!).

I only stopped in because I had an event to attend at Nokia, but I'm glad I decided to check it out. Alot of people here on TC know I have heartburn over the reckless demolishing of BH Trader Vic's, and the way Trader Vic's Corporate seems to have no backbone in trying to keep their businesses and namesake alive. Just look at how many have closed in the past 5 years, yet the TV staff seems "exciteable" to throw warehouse sales filled with failed business decor. It must be easier for Corporate to whore out the name, than to really get involved to make owners and co-owners investments an all around successful venture for both.

Anyhow, let me not get overly negative, because the L.A. location is cozy, and I wish this franchise all the best! I would have no hesitation in being a return guest. I do think that for a Friday Evening that I went, the place was very slow with not one table filled for dinner in the time I was there, which seemed a little alarming. Especially seeing that the Yard House directly around the corner was slammed packed. I hope all is well, and I will share my experience with others. Thank you John and Co. for having people like Jasmine working, and being well trained in the mixing of the drinks. Also, not to forget the cookstaff, who seem to be turning out tasty and well balanced flavorful eats in a consistant manner.

Open 7 days again:

LUNCH: Mon - Fri: 11:00 AM - 3 PM
DINNER: Sun - Thu: 5 PM - 10 PM- Fri - Sat: 5 PM - 12 AM
BAR/LOUNGE: Mon - Thurs 11 AM - Close
Fri - Sat 4 PM - Close

J

Hmmm.... I hate to call attention to this, but how many people here actually eat the food at TV on a regular basis? And I mean an actual sit down meal in the dining area. Obviously the bar area is a repeat experience for the drinks, socializing, and decor but what about "let's go to TV for dinner" vs. "let's go to TV for drinks". Most of my friends (non-Tikiphiles), have tried dining at TV once but don't plan on being repeat customers after their first visit.

I think the real problem is the type of cuisine. "Polynesian" food might have been popular during the mid-20th century but we live in a 21st Century Los Angeles where 1st-class authentic Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese food is available. Yeah I know that "fake" ethnic food at places like PF Changs is wildly popular but that's easily branded as Chinese. It's not easy to describe the food at TV. Fusion might be an acceptable concept at a new foodie restaurant in Beverly Hills, but from a chain that has roots in mid-century kitsch?

The overhead of running a restaurant has got to be high, and I question TV's ability to be successful with this model. Maybe TV should just focus on being a bar and offer a limited food menu. Let's face it, we go to TV mainly for the tropical drinks, the food is an after thought.

Another issue I think is TV tries to be too classy and doesn't really emphasize their unique mid-century kitsch appeal. How about really going over the top and becoming something like a "Polynesian Hooters"? TV could still be faithful to its original Tiki Style but you'd have staff along the lines of the Mai Kai Mystery Drink girls. That could be a fun and ironic experience that would appeal to today's younger generation (and at a much lower price point). We'd still be able to get our classic Mai Tais, Navy Grogs, and Zombies. Isn't that all we really need?

Yeah, I know everyone at TC wants to have that classic "frozen in time" TV experience, but it looks like the rest of the mainstream non-Tikiphile world isn't buying it.

TV has the brand and it has the tasty drinks. It'd be a shame for this place to fail as quickly as the Las Vegas location.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-14 08:15 ]

T

I've always enjoyed going to Trader Vic's and will again. Indeed, I mainly go for drinks and their fantastic bar menu. I've had dinner there as well and have to say it was fantastic. Truly grade A cuisine and reasonable prices. The thing is, I specifically went to Trader Vics because I wanted a place that was still serving food past 10pm (not the restaurant menu but the bar menu). Unfortunately that's not the case and I wish someone would've picked up the phone to have told me (before I was faced with having to go to the Yard house). Of course it's silly to keep a bar/restaurant staff around when no-one is there but it's a bit of a Catch-22. Now no-one will be there because the bar/restaurant will have a reputation for closing early. Obviously I went on a Thursday and should've gone on a Fri-Sat. The problem is that now if I mention TV as a bar destination to my wife, she'll not care to go after what happened last time.

We're going to see 'Band of Horses' at the Nokia on Monday the 9th of November. Hopefully we'll have time for dinner at TV before the show. Not sure because of work. At least we'll grab a drink and some Pu Pu's. However, if me and the wife are up for it, I'm sure we would love to grab a drink afterwards. Is it worth staying open just because people might stop by? Not sure.

OGR

Tattoo, As a veteran Manager/Owner Operator of the restaurant/bar biz, I would say your theory is spot on. This has happened to me many times, especially from franchise owners. What they don't understand is the paying public does not give a damn if you have to stay open, pay the staff, and the utilities. If you post hours you better stick to them, because that is the ONLY way you will build any late business. Who knows maybe that is where you can catch a "niche" corner of the ever more competitive market. If it is done by the closing managers whim, you are dead. That also is why many independent owners and corporate core units will "release" any individual who does this. EVERYONE talks about Customer/Guest Service, but how many really practice what they preach? Not as many as they think. THE only reason they are open is because of the Guest. If they can't do it CONSISTENTLY, then go open up an Owl gift shop and close at 5:00! Sorry about the rant, but that is one of my Hot buttons. Thanks for your insight. OGR

C
Chub posted on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 3:49 PM

Once they started advertising House music DJ's and Blues bands on Sat. nights they completely lost me. Oh, also the fact that the last time i was there, the manager said Tiki Tuesdays were no more. Goodbye Trader Vics Downtown L.A.

[ Edited by: Chub 2009-10-14 15:50 ]

Guys, you are really a tough crowd. But: We have been over this before here many times: We, the Tikiphiles, are not what keeps a place like this afloat -especially in these tough times. Just ask any Tiki artist out there trying to sell his wares: The Tiki community is not that up in the chips that they can afford dinner at Trader Vic's on a regular basis. (I know I can't. If I could, I would go there more often). And we are not that numerous.

It was very gracious and nice of Trader John to include us, (and seek my advice), in the creation of the place, and in my opinion he did an outstanding job. This is the most authentic and classic Trader Vic's of all the recently built ones. They need to cater to downtown business and Staple Center sports crowd to survive. That spoiled Tiki boy attitude of "They don't play Martin Denny" and "This and that dish/ cocktail is not perfect" will not help anyone.

I am very much looking forward to "Tiki Mugs" book author/ Exotica DJ Jay Strongman's Thursday evenings, Jay knows how to mix the new with the old, and his soundscape will be the perfect accompaniment to a perfectly mixed Trader Vic's cocktail.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 5:05 PM

Sven,

Well put.

I've enjoyed every trip to the restaurant.

Good luck to John and Trader Vic's LA.

Amen Sven!
We love going to Trader Vic's LA and will continue
to support them no matter what. They have always
been top notch and very accommodating. Even comping
drinks on occasion. Who else does that?

I will go for Jay's DJ set.
but I am still not happy with the drinks there.
weak pours, and not spot on tastes.

I still wish they had brought some of the old TV's staff from BH over.
:(

Jeff(btd)

Jeff, forget about it already! The union situation made that an impossibility. And regular people nowadays do simply NOT appreciate strong drinks because of driving laws, they send them back. I repeat again, they cannot exclusively cater to our minority! They have done that a lot already. And I had no problem with their cocktails like that, some maybe not to my taste, but there is so many and such a variety to pick and choose and find your faves, where in town other than the Tiki Ti can you get such a great variety of "Tiki" drinks!

J

Which minority is that? The minority of Tiki-philes or the minority of alcoholics? :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-15 11:57 ]

There is a fine line between the two. We prefer to think of ourselves as alcoholics with STYLE. :D

I refer to the drinkers in this group as "blackbelt" drinkers....

"Alcoholic" is a big strong.

On 2009-10-15 12:53, tikiyaki wrote:
"Alcoholic" is a big strong.

A "big", or a "bit"? Are you already imbibing at noon again, Jim? :)

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 15, 2009 1:38 PM

In true alcoholic fashion I just had a blackout(= anti-lightbulb)thought:

What a great moniker for a new tropical drink - Big Blackbelt!

Thanks for the inspiration Jim and Sven :)

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies