Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Don the Beach Comber's

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

I

I am wondering what everyone thought about the old Sam's/new Don the Beachcombers restaurant last night?

The event in the back room was great. However, what did everyone think of the food and the service? Do you think the restaurant is going to make it under Don's name?

Personally our group had the worst dining experience ever. We had to wait too long for a table that we had reserved, then we waited more for service and bad drinks and even longer for bad food. The steaks were undercooked, they substituted rice for potatoes without even coming out to ask if that was ok. I know that Don the Beachcomber did NOT become famous for the mai tai's we had last night. Honestly, I just happen to have had a mai tai at the Aviara yesterday and that was a much better drink than what they were serving last night.

Sorry but I don't think the name change is going to make up for the fact that this restaurant just isn't good. I actually had a better meal when it was the dusty old Sams Seafood. I am sad, as I wanted this to be a big success and the saving of an icon but I just don't think it made the grade. :(

I have heard similar complaints about the service when it was KONA.

I

You are rigth, Kona's service and food was not good. Sam's was better even if it was old and dusty. I had just hoped that the New name and the reputation of Don the Beachcombers would have made it a better restaurants. It seems to me that all they did was change the name. The staff, management and kitchen must all be the same. I LOVE the building but hate the restaurant. So sad.

Before this gets out of hand, the transition is not complete....stay tuned.

Aloha!

The hubby and I made a reservation in the dining room at 5:00 (knowing that it was probably going to be packed and crazy during the show) and had EXCELLENT service. We actually assumed that it was just the show being advertised and not so much a "dinner show", so we didn't expect dinner service would be provided. I'm glad we made that assumption now!

The food was delicious (best Opaka Paka and scallops!), hot and served quickly (Mahalo Christopher!) It was a nice, leisurely start to a great evening. I do admit that the Mai-Tais were MUCH better a few weeks ago when it was Kona...in fact, they were FABULOUS. We didn't like the Mai-Tais and switched to Cherry Blossoms (bartender recommendation) which tasted EXACTLY like the Mai-Tais (not good). Then started filling our Shakatiki mugs with Primo or rum and cokes and were very happy.

Once we got into the showroom, we patted ourselves on the back for having gone early (as was recommended on the thread yesterday) because we saw how "in the weeds" they were. We could see that people weren't happy with the service and how long they had to wait for their meals. I honestly don't think the staff was expecting to serve meals back there. But that's just my take on it after twenty years in food service.

I think we should cut them a little slack. It's a new transition and transitions are difficult. I think they got unexpectedly slammed. I won't have a problem going back, and look forward to regular visits. Again, we thought the food and service in the dining room was excellent. We'll definitely show them some Aloha!

It was a great night, with great people, and awesome music (Mahalo Tikiyaki!).

[ Edited by: TikiShopPua 2009-04-19 11:32 ]

As a former restaraunt manager, I can see that they were slammed. I don't think they were expecting to have every single room there filled with people!

So, they did an excellent job all things considered.

Yeah, they are still in transition for sure... It just would have been really good for them if they came out in full force for what was billed as "Kona/ Sam's Seafood becomes the first Don the Beachcomber on the mainland in 30 years...."

I was there on Wed night for dinner and gave them slack for not having the drinks dialed... The bartender said that they were working on getting them perfected for sat night... When I was poured a pre-mixed zombie out of a big container labeled "mai tai mix".... By the way, our food and service was really great on Wed night!

Last night, my group had to go across the street for food because they were claiming the kitchen ran out of food or something... There were LOTS of people from the event over there.

I'm not chastising Don's or telling people not to visit the place, there have been A LOT of positive changes since it was Kona. I'm writing this for the management to know what was going on.... I REALLY want this place to succeed. I wish Don's got all of that business that ended up over at Taco Surf last night.

Ben is already making the place look more like it how it should, with some great new additions!
I'm STILL looking forward to what Don's will become.
Positive, constructive feedback should be well heeded by Don's owners and management.

Spike
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2009-04-21 16:38 ]

C

From far, far, away it sounds like maybe this nicely publicized event was VERY well attended - WAY beyond what management would have expected, so the restaurant got slammed with lots of orders they couldn't handle.

I hope this helps management understand what a value this crowd can be when the word gets out.

Unfortunately, by not being prepared they run the risk of having alienated some who came back to check it out.

Hopefully Don's will be able to recover quickly, get things in place so that the next time there is a lot less disappointment & more "WOW" than anything else. I wish Don's the best in this endeavor.

I hope management can understand the value brought by these types of events - an event they didn't even bother to list on their own website, by the way.....? But an event that was so big that they couldn't handle the demand it created.......

Yeah, I think they just weren't expecting a crowd of that size. That's understandable for sure.

My only real complaint are the cocktails... It shouldn't be hard to get them right if you're gonna pride yourself on that. Good cocktails WILL drive business. It worked at The Royal Hawaiian with their Lapus.

Again, I'm looking forward to DTB when they are firing on all cylinders.

Did anyone notice the stellar new entry and the thatching in the bar area ?

Bamboo Ben...amazing as usual.

As already said, you can't judge a new restaurant in it's first weeks of business.
They should hire Martin for a mixology seminar.

They did run out of food. We had to leave after the first set, and on the way out, the manager was turing people away saying they were out of everything. It's a shame to think about how much money they must have lost. They show was awesome though.

I don't normally drink Mai Tais, but I tasted the Mister's. We both thought that it tasted like gingerbread! Like nutmeg! I'm not sure...is a mai tai supposed to taste like that?

Also, everyone was receiving their mai tais in those tall bamboo shaped glasses. My drink regulary comes in a 7oz rocks glass. The bartender used the same teensy glass for the Mister's mai tai! And charged him the same as everyone else.

He was definately going crazy back there! He kept saying he couldn't get a moment to catch his breath and it was too much. So I think he just grabbed the same glass for the 2 different drinks.

After the delayed service from New Years when it was Kona, I had a feeling I should grab food before and get an appetizer if possible. I was right. Being new is one thing, but having to be hit with so many people when your staff isn't quite up to speed is a whole other thing. I will say though, what I did have was amazing. The teriyaki chicken from the kids menu was fantastic and not at all dumbed down for kids... my son practically licked the bowl clean of the sauce. The spicy chicken soup actually was spicy (you never know what 'spicy' means on menus) and felt home made. I had a Mai Tai (and for those complaining about them... remember the Trader Vic's Mai Tai is a very different beast than Don's Mai Tai... they went to court over it if you remember your tiki history...) which I loved the variation, though either I have a tolerance of a bull or they were a little shy with the rum. The bartender was slammed and looked like he had fear in his eyes, so I think its fair to say nothing that night should be taken as the definitive experience.

I will definitely continue to sample their efforts encouraging them in every sip I take!

I think I'm definitely a Trader Vic's MaiTai girl....but I'll still be going to Don the Beachcomber's a lot! LOVE those Kalua Pork sliders and Ahi Tacos...mmmmmm.

[ Edited by: TikiShopPua 2009-04-19 17:56 ]

Jesus Freakin Christ People!

Is THIS Tiki Central or Complaint Central??!!

Just thank the tiki God that the building is still standing!

Go to http://www.BitchandMoancentral.com

Hope you all enjoy No tiki bars if you keep it up!!

If you don't have anything good to say, then shut your fucking trap!

Arrrrr-rrrrrrrrr!!!!!

If you want a perfect world... go to Starbucks!

p.s. and at least spell the name right in the topic!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2009-04-19 18:20 ]

I

Well ok then, I guess that I will need to cut the place some slack and let them find their stride before I go back and give them another try. I remember there was an event at Bahooka's a few years back and the exact same thing happened. I personally wonder how a polynesian themed restaurant can have no idea what size crowd can be drawn by this type of event. Is it management being out of touch with the tiki sub-culture or is if the culture's fault by not warning them that the turn out will be big? I know you cannot promise a full house, but it seems more likely than not when The Tikiyaki Orchestra and Crazy Al etal are involved.

Maybe it's just me being too picky.

The decor was absolutely fabulous, I just wish the food and drink lived up to the decor. Have you all been to Honolulu Harry's in Ontario? The food there is amazing. The decor is nice although they lost their amiance when they stoped playing hawaiian mood music for your dining pleasure. If DTB food was half as good as HH or even Dukes, they would have something. I know you can't please everyone so maybe it's just me.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I wasn't there last night....but I go to this place (Don's, Kona , Sams) when I feel like it. I don't wait for an event to give this place my money. I say if you want good service go on a night when everybody and their mother will not be there. The food and the drinks are excellent.

I

No need to get all up in a tizzy. I was just asking because from where our group stood, our dinner was a complete disaster. I wanted to see what everyone else's experience was. We did not have a good experience when it was Kona's either so I was just checking to see what others thought.

I am very happy that the building is still standing. That place has been there since dirt was invented. It's a great building and I'm happy that people are still trying to keep it running instead of being turned into condo's.

So if our experience was an anomaly, then ok. I'll just go back to lurking and let you all post your future experiences before I go back.

I got a drink from a young 'un at the Hidden Village bar and it was very tasty but weak. Then I went to the main bar and got a handmade Zombie from one of the grownups. It was terrific, I loved the spices. What an awesome tiki temple that place is, it was so good to see it all filled up with the TCers. The band was great! Yes, there were glitches but I took in stride because it was a crazy tiki time and I'm glad to have experienced it. I want to thank ART for keeping the place alive!

S

Thank you Bamboo Ben.

The title of the party was premature...they aren't even close to finishing their transition yet, so cut them some slack, go there and spend your money to support them and judge when the transition is complete.

Or just appreciate the fact that they are still open and the building didn't get razed to make way for a Walgreen's...

had the Kobe beef burger (as usual) at 6 pm sharp,
not a whole lot of wait,
tasted amazing as always.
sweet potato fries rock,
and a coke easy ice. it was all good in my book.

later I had 3 Zombies,
they are not amazing yet.
but Ryan knew that he had a Huge crowd comin, and had to(HAD To)
pre mix them, and the Mai tai and a few others.
so cut them some slack there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ha!!! You all really need to appreciate what you do have. Living upstate New York I would really enjoy having someplace like Don's to go.

Not that I'm complaining about living up here. I really do like living here. Especially this time of year when everything starts blooming and we can go fishing and gardening again.

But what I wouldn't give to have an authentic mai-tai or zombie. We get draft or bottle at the local watering hole. Oh yeah...I could get a rum(well rum) and coke also.

Have fun and enjoy!!

KK

"The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean" Mark Twain on Hawaii

[ Edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-04-19 20:09 ]

On 2009-04-19 20:08, Kamaina Kraig wrote:
Ha!!! You all really need to appreciate what you do have. Living upstate New York I would really enjoy having someplace like Don's to go.

Not that I'm complaining about living up here. I really do like living here. Especially this time of year when everything starts blooming and we can go fishing and gardening again.

But what I wouldn't give to have an authentic mai-tai or zombie. We get draft or bottle at the local watering hole. Oh yeah...I could get a rum(well rum) and coke also.

Have fun and enjoy!!

KK

"The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean" Mark Twain on Hawaii

[ Edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-04-19 20:09 ]

Bingo!!!!

Thank you all for coming... :wink:

Yeah, I am super thankful that the place wasn't knocked down for condos... I definitely not saying the place was lame and no one should go there. I love Sam's and had a blast and will keep going every chance I can.

I was only making those comments for the management to see. I don't think I was unfair about it. I wanted DTB to get the business rather than people crossing PCH to give their money to Taco Surf. I TOTALLY understand that they weren't expecting the size crowd that was there last night. The bartenders and staff at DTB were great last night, just under-staffed.

The ONLY thing that I take exception to are the drinks. I'm not saying close it up and let the condos move in....
I'm saying, get the drinks right and the place will be perfect.

I totally expect that they will dial everything in, in time.

Chin up Ryan,
your doing your best with what you got to deal with.

your A-ok in my book.
:)

On 2009-04-19 20:32, Luckydesigns wrote:
Yeah, I am super thankful that the place wasn't knocked down for condos... I definitely not saying the place was lame and no one should go there. I love Sam's and had a blast and will keep going every chance I can.

I was only making those comments for the management to see. I don't think I was unfair about it. I wanted DTB to get the business rather than people crossing PCH to give their money to Taco Surf. I TOTALLY understand that they weren't expecting the size crowd that was there last night. The bartenders and staff at DTB were great last night, just under-staffed.

The ONLY thing that I take exception to are the drinks. I'm not saying close it up and let the condos move in....
I'm saying, get the drinks right and the place will be perfect.

I totally expect that they will dial everything in, in time.

OK Mr. Karaoke!!!

You rocked the hut!!!

lol!! Ryan!

Haha....thanks Ben...
Is it sacrelig that I don't mind karaoke in a tiki bar??
I'm just really happy to see the amount of people who were there that weren't affiliated with our group. Looks like business is strong on the weekends.

yeah it would be nice if more people went on mon. tues. wed.
they need more people on those nights,
and there is hardly nobody there.
so there is no wait time, like at these big events.

I go every monday now.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31825&forum=17&30

come join me and a few others who show up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I put my heart and soul into most of these drinks (and 99% of everyone who try them love them) I am very open to anyones comments (Jeff did we not make tons of zombie attempts from the "Great" recipes of beachbum berry's book? Sorry didn't work out.)

I'll continue to do my best, I'm very sorry for any problems that anyone had to endure last night.

T

Ben...

Thanx for saying what I didn't.

Be glad we still have a 15,000 Sq Ft (yes....15 THOUSAND Square feet!) Polynesian Tiki Paradise in our backyard.

Right across from the Beach no less.

Last night, after the band was all soundchecked and people started coming in, I snuck out across the street to the beach to adjust my "chi" so I could relax before the show in solitude...sat and watched the sun set behind the Palos Verdes peninsula. What a great location for this Tiki temple...condos be damned !

The Mai Tai is a DON'S Mai Tai...Much different animal than the Vic's. I like a good Vic's Mai Tai, but the Don's is quite tasty, just different.

Those spices you were tasting were home made falernum...not from a bottle, but cooked up by Ryan the mixologist-in-chief.

I heard that Mike Sr from Tiki Ti checked out the drinks and said good things....so there!

Rock on, Don !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-04-19 21:14 ]

Props to Ben as in Bamboo.The front turned out absolutely incredible .I was
so stoked to see all my peeps I have not seen for a while, nothing else really
bothered me.Continue to support them, it is the last tiki temple left in OC !

I love their Mai Tai's!! Tikiyaki says home made falernum - well, I don't even pretend to be a mixologist, so whatever it is, I likes it!
Ryan was bustin arse in there with very little help so I was glad to get what I got. And what I got was delish so I have no complaints. Ahi tacos on the appetiser menu were really yummy! It was crazy there last night so I think they did a pretty stellar job for a newly re-opened place with a full-to-capacity crowd.
Bamboo Ben, you crack me up, in a good way. Testify, Brother!

I was sick and couldn't make it. But Amen Ben! We were there on New Years Eve and absolutely loved our meal. Sure things could have been better but we knew they would busy so we expected delays, etc. I'm just glad the place is still standing too. What better environment to listen to Tikiyaki and spend time with new friends! It really is beautiful and magical, I just wish I could have been there. I have some good friends on the East Coast who are soooo jealous of the places we have here on the West Coast so even if there are some stumbling blocks I try and look at the big picture. I am sure that by the next big event they will be better prepared. Post some pictures you guys so we can live vicariously through you!! My husband and I figure we'll head down there on a non event weekend and really check out the place in detail.

I have a question. I keep reading it is their first time on the mainland in 30 years. However I got married in 1988 and we are almost positive we had our pre wedding dinner at the Don the Beachcombers in Marina Del Rey. Wasn't that a Don's right near the Marina Del Rey Hotel? Anybody remember this? That would make it more like 20-21 years. Just wondering! Thanks!!

"The gods have been angered by all the celebrating"

[ Edited by: Bewitched By Tiki 2009-04-19 21:48 ]

Yes, there was a Don's in MDR. I believe the building is still there?

For the record, when I got that first beverage I was a bit annoyed with it for the aforementioned reason. So I understand what Spike was saying.

On 2009-04-20 01:08, floratina wrote:
For the record, when I got that first beverage I was a bit annoyed with it for the aforementioned reason. So I understand what Spike was saying.

Please let me know? In a PM please

P

I was quite pleased with the event last night. The food menu is still Kona, but I think the food was much better than at the New Years event. I think that the staff was unprepared for the size of the turnout, but generally service and food quality was better than new years. Same for the drink quality. While I was not all that delighted with the Zombie, I thought that the Mai Tai and the Cherry Blossom punch were both quite good, and I think everybody knows what a drink snob I am. With the exception of one awesome rum barrel that I got at the old Sam's, this was the best dining and drinking experience ever in Huntington Beach. And, Tikiyaki Orchestra was the best I had ever heard them. Great night! And Ben's work on the entrance... GENIUS! Long Live Don The Beachcomber!

I have to admit, I have never had a real Trader Vic Mai Tai. But as for the Don's Mai Tai, I thought they were fantastic. Call them whatever you want, but I thought those drinks were fantastic. I loved the spices. It was a unique drinking experience for me. Honestly one of the better mixed drinks I have had.

TM

On 2009-04-19 20:31, Sincityryan wrote:

I am assuming you are the bartender or owner or manager?

The tiki crowd are pretty much experts when it comes to tropical drinks, more so then any other demographic. They KNOW their Mai_Tais, so you can always expect to get some feedback. Consider it positive, ok? For many Tiki Centralites, the Mai_tai is something that is approached with the same level of detailed analysis as a restaraunt critic does at some hot new place.

Believe me, all of us are thrilled there is not a jamba juice, starbucks or walgreens there right now!

For what it's worth, I know that Ryan wasn't the bartender making my drinks... On Wed, after I tasted my fruit punch navy grog in the dining room, I asked the waiter who was tending bar. He named a couple of people but not Ryan. I asked because I had heard such good things about Ryan's cocktails. On the same point, the guy that served me on Sat night WAS the same guy that was serving me on Wed night. Nice guy, but not really treating the tiki cocktails with the amount of care that they require.

I can tell that Ryan is making a big push to make the cocktails in that bar everything that a DTB cocktail should be. So Ryan, I don't think any of this is directed toward you. It would be great if you can get everyone there on the same page as you, and I look forward to going back and trying some of your drinks!

On 2009-04-19 21:00, tikiyaki wrote:

The Mai Tai is a DON'S Mai Tai...Much different animal than the Vic's. I like a good Vic's Mai Tai, but the Don's is quite tasty, just different.

Those spices you were tasting were home made falernum...not from a bottle, but cooked up by Ryan the mixologist-in-chief.

WOW! My husband was right on the money! As I said before, I thought the mai tai reminded me of gingerbread. The Mr. stated it was probably Falernum, which he loves. He's German and loves Glogg, mead, Gluhwein, Capn M, etc...loves that spice.

He has been trying to duplicate the taste. Now I know why he hasn't been able to! If it's homemade! VERY interesting.

For what it's worth, we were getting our drinks from the bar in the Hidden Village..between my fiance and I we had 4 Mai Tais and 2 Navy Grogs. What everyone should remember is that these are the DON THE BEACHCOMBER versions of the Mai Tai and Navy Grog, not the Trader Vic's versions you might be used to. If anyone has made Don's Mai Tai from Sippin' Safari, it should be damn close. Since we go to Don's pretty often in between events, I know they were pretty spot on to the ones that Ryan serves up in the main bar. I just thought it was great to see the place wall-to-wall packed! We didn't get there until almost 8, so every seat in the place was taken. We sat on one of the benches along the wall for the first set, and noticed that people who ordered food were turning folding chairs around and eating off of them, like tables. I kind of felt that those people that were eating there could have been moved off to the main dining room, it made it a little hard to walk around for fear of dumping someone's plate onto the floor. Other than that, great drinks, great music, great art from all the artists that squeezed into the Hidden Village, great times! In fact..after "sleeping it off", we gathered up the fam for Sunday brunch..anyone that hasn't gone recently for brunch needs to check it out. They do the show in the Hidden Village now (instead of the Kona Room), with the Polynesian dancers, the band, and the whole bit. Our waitress was super friendly and attentive as well. And as mentioned...Bamboo Ben's new entrance is awesome. I'm going to have to join the "consider-yourself-lucky-we-have-so-much-Tiki-so-close" camp on this one. Plus, I have to do my part to keep Don's open for another year...there's a wedding coming up there next year! :lol:

myspace.com/anotherdayinthelbc

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2009-04-20 09:12 ]

On 2009-04-19 19:55, bigtikidude wrote:
had the Kobe beef burger (as usual) at 6 pm sharp,
not a whole lot of wait,
tasted amazing as always.
sweet potato fries rock,
and a coke easy ice. it was all good in my book.

later I had 3 Zombies,
they are not amazing yet.
but Ryan knew that he had a Huge crowd comin, and had to(HAD To)
pre mix them, and the Mai tai and a few others.
so cut them some slack there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Just to give an idea, we sold over 1600 drinks that night. If I were to hand make every drink at 1 min per drink it would have taken me 26.7 hours to make. The drinks are a little more spot on if made one at a time. Although the people at the back of a 26 hour line would probably be thirsty enough to enjoy anything at that point...

Thanks again for coming in EVERYONE!

[ Edited by: Sincityryan 2009-04-20 09:31 ]

On 2009-04-20 07:31, lucas vigor wrote:

The tiki crowd are pretty much experts when it comes to tropical drinks, more so then any other demographic. They KNOW their Mai_Tais, so you can always expect to get some feedback. Consider it positive, ok? For many Tiki Centralites, the Mai_tai is something that is approached with the same level of detailed analysis as a restaraunt critic does at some hot new place.

Believe me, all of us are thrilled there is not a jamba juice, starbucks or walgreens there right now!

I am the bar manager / bartender. The recipe for the Mai Tai has come from many years of studying Don's past drinks. This is the best version that I came up with for the 1930's. I will probably be introducing different variations of the Mai Tai as it progressed through the years at Don's.

ALL newer versions of the Mai Tai use some sort of synthetic sugar syrup that to the best of my knowledge was not being used, only fresh spices and juices. No we will never be making a Trader Vics Mai Tai in Don the Beachcomber, unless Trader Vics would like to talk with me and add a Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai to Their Menu :wink:

On 2009-04-20 09:47, Sincityryan wrote:

I am the bar manager / bartender. The recipe for the Mai Tai has come from many years of studying Don's past drinks. This is the best version that I came up with for the 1930's. I will probably be introducing different variations of the Mai Tai as it progressed through the years at Don's.

ALL newer versions of the Mai Tai use some sort of synthetic sugar syrup that to the best of my knowledge was not being used, only fresh spices and juices. No we will never be making a Trader Vics Mai Tai in Don the Beachcomber, unless Trader Vics would like to talk with me and add a Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai to Their Menu :wink:

What kind of grapefruit juice do you use in the Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai. Or is there none? Some people try to avoid grapefruit due to an interaction with certain medications.

On 2009-04-20 10:12, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2009-04-20 09:47, Sincityryan wrote:

What kind of grapefruit juice do you use in the Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai. Or is there none? Some people try to avoid grapefruit due to an interaction with certain medications.

All juices are fresh.

I had three mai tais on Wed night and thought they were great! I liked the spicy flavor. I didn't think they were correct though... Now that everyone has mentioned that the Don's one is very different from the Vic's one, I can see where some confusion came from. I'll order that again for sure.
Is the navy grog different too then? I'm used to the super strong navy grog with the rock candy swizzle over at Billy's in Newport.

Pages: 1 2 94 replies