Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

"Similau"

Pages: 1 43 replies

TC

One of my favorite exotica tracks is "Similau" by Martin Denny. However, I have no idea what the word "similau" means. I did a search on both google & Yahoo but only got a list of sites that sell CDs or have reviews of songs, etc.

Can anybody help?

Tiki Chris

On the I Love Lucy show, I remember that Ricky Ricardo performed Similau at his nightclub. It was a moodier darker version.
I can't remember the details, but he prefaced the song with a story about what it meant. I loved that song when I was a kid.

Which doesn't answer your question, obviously, but could be a lead...

T

Well, I don't know how helpful this is, but I asked my mother-in-law, who is Chilean, if she knew what the word meant. She said it sounded Portugeuse/Brazilian. In Spanish, "si me lo" loosely translates to "if you do for me", so it could very well me a slang Brazilian phrase.

Can't help you with the nomenclature - but if you're really into the song, my favorite version (up there with Denny's) is Esquivel's version on the 'See It In Sound' disc. Complete with 'authentic' native chanting!

R
Rain posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2003 5:04 PM

i thought this was going to be a post about a party SIMilar to the hukILAU. seriously. :P

Well, dang. Too late to post a snip about this being similau to a post I remember from earlier.

har

It's also one of my favourite exotica tunes and I am happy about every version that crosses my way. I still don't know who did first record it and who made it first popular. A short web search tells that it was composed by Arden Clar & Harry Coleman in 1948- that's all. Anyone?
And does anyone knows what the lyrics are about?

martin

[ Edited by: lemonsqueezer 2006-06-05 21:43 ]

I

A very similar word is 'Similac' the brand name for the infant milk formula which is often used instead of breast milk. The word 'Similac' is a shortened version of 'Similar to Lactation.'

With that thought in mind, Similau is perhaps meant to mean 'shortened for a luau.'

Here is my theory, totally speculative, and other than the dates, not based on fact. In 1948, Jack Owens writes the Hukilau song, which becomes a big hit. Composer Arden Clar and his wife hear the song, and become enraptured by the romantic visions of the luau and the South Seas Islands.

9 months later (it is now 1949), there is a new child in their household. Late one night, while half asleep while feeding his newborn infant, Arden Clar imagines the sweet sounds and visions of that romantic evening from the previous year, and how it has resulted in the beautiful child in his arms. Still drowsy, he composes and writes down the melody of a song to capture the memory - both of the romantic night, but also his hopes and dreams for his new child.

The next morning, he sees his notes, remembers the melody, and looking for a title of the song, his eyes fall upon the empty, nearby can of Similac. He combines the words 'Hukilau' and 'Similac', and thus Similau is born.

Actually, the subtitle to Similau is 'See-me-lo', so Tikigap is probably closer to the truth with his theory.

Vern

S

Back to "reality.""Similau" is a Chinese name.

In the 1824 book by Robert Kerr, page 233 a Chinese man is spoken of with this name.

Here is Similau the pirate spoken of.

Otherwise, I think Vern is as close as anybody...

Ok this is all hear say, but I take it on pretty reliable sorces.
The Surfaris( surf band that did wipe out and surfer joe) also did a cover of Similau.

They say when they play it in concert that they remember hearing this song as kids and wanted to play it.
Supposedly it is a Cuban word, and it's about a ghost that lives in a sugar cane field.

don't know if that's true, but I like it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks for the info! The Surfaris still play the tune live. I had the pleasure to see this group
http://www.surfariswipeout.com/
(And not that one: http://thesurfaris.com/)
live two month ago and can easily say it was the best Surf Concert I ever saw. (Better than Dick Dale as his heavy metal drummer didn't fit in) They did play with THREE guitarists, bass & drums. Extremely great and powerful with a clever & good tracklist incl. some vocals for the perfect alternation. Highly recommended!

A short look at allmusic.com does answer my question about early similau versions (before Denny 1956)

Edmundo Ros 1948 or 1949
Peggy Lee - 1949
Desi Arnez - 1951
Gene Krupa & His Orchestra 1949

& this lyrics are from the www:

SIMILAU (Arden Clar / Harry Coleman) in 1948

(I Similau, I Similau, I Similau, I Similau)

Spirit in the wood beat the hollow cane
Spirit in the wood take away the pain
Make the body ripe and alive again
I Similau (I Similau, I Similau)

Spirit in the heart make the blood flow fast
Spirit in the heart make the beauty last
Keep the hope alive when the youth go past
I Similau (I Similau, I Similau)

When my lover comes upon the scene
Drop a petal from the tree
Fling the mountain up into the sky
Fill the river with the sea

Spirit in the wood let the hollow cane
Echo in the afterglow
Waiting for the flame to burn again
I Similau (I Similau I Similau)

(Transcribed by Mel Priddle - September 2003)
(Additions by Nigel Hunter - February 2004)

[ Edited by: lemonsqueezer 2006-06-20 10:57 ]

Cool thanks for the lyrics, that basically confirms the Surfaris story.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-06-20 10:56, lemonsqueezer wrote:
Thanks for the info! The Surfaris still play the tune live. I had the pleasure to see this group
http://www.surfariswipeout.com/
(And not that one: http://thesurfaris.com/)

LS,
The websites both say that they are the "original" Surfaris. Which guitar player is the one who wrote the original riffs for Surfer Joe and Wipeout?

I don't know. My 45 credits wipe out to the surfaris and surfer joe to ron wilson. On the thesurfaris.com side under history you find:
Most Popular Question: Who wrote Wipe Out?
Answer: Bob Berryhill, Pat Connolly, Jim Fuller, Ron Wilson. ALL other claims are bogus, including those that say they helped write the song before the Wipe Out/Surfer Joe recording session in Dec.'62.
on Wikipedia it says that lead guitar on "Wipe Out","Surfer Joe" is played by Jim Fuller. If you want to know if he wrote the riff on wipe out I think the best thing to find out is to ask him (or Bob Berryhill). but as surfer joe was written by the drummer, also he could be the one

[ Edited by: lemonsqueezer 2006-06-21 18:20 ]

Bob BerryHill used tobe in the Surfaris back in the day, it seems he had a falling out with the band and left, and started his version of the band with his sons and wife. I hear of them playing church festivals every onece in awhile. But never any surf band typicla bars or beach events. I've yet to see them.
The Surfaris with Jim Fuller is/was the original band, but he is the last remaing original member left in the band.
Jim Pash past away recently, and the drummer a decade or 2 back.
But... Paul Johnson of the Belairs-Mr. Moto fame) plays guitar in the band. And Ron Eglit who played with Dick Dale for 25 + years just joined to fill the vacancy of Jim Pash.

Good band, worth seeing at least once. Not as energetic or authentic sounding as some of the newer/youneger surf bands. But not bad at all.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

And don't confuse them with "The Original Surfaris", a 1st wave band that existed before them, but had to change their name after a court settlement (becasue "Wipeout" was such a huge national hit, the judge ruled in favor of the "Wipeout" Surfaris to keep their name).
Which records do I like better? The Original Surfaris, of course- they wrote "Bombora","Surfari" and "Moment of Truth".
Ran

I agree with Ran too, The Original Surfaris from Fullerton/Placentia area were the better band in my opinion.
But the Wipeout Surfaris did have some great songs too.
Point Panic,Scattershield,Dune Buggy,Burnin' Rubber,and a cool vocal song called I'm a Hog for you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Weirdly, Bobby Darin even did a kind of soulful' rockin' version of Similau around 1964.

Sample is here: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3922060&JRSource=nsa&nsa=1

:lol:

That's a fantastic version. Exotica fans also appreciate the version of Sallie Blair (from the Squeeze Me LP) My vinyl copy of it is so worn out that I ask if someone has a clean rip Sallie Blairs Similau (192 or higher) to trade /share?

[ Edited by: lemonsqueezer 2006-07-25 19:04 ]

Recently, I've been in contact with the daughter of Similau songwriter Arden Clar. Here's what she has to say:

*Funny. My father wrote Similau and I was just humming it and decided to google it and found your query. He always told us that it was 'the god of fertility', hence, the lyrics..... My father's name was Arden Clar.

... he always said that it was the voodoo god of fertility. And there does exist an album called 'Voodoo'. Did you ever hear his rendition of Similau on the piano? Very, very beautful. Melodic and melancholy. He was a wonderful pianist. So glad you've enjoyed it. I'll pass your note on to my sibs!*

Gotta love the internet,
Tiki Chris

http://TikiChris.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2006-08-12 07:46 ]

too cool man.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks a lot for forwarding this first hand info!

Btw. Can you ask her more about that 'Voodoo' album? Was that an Lp by Arden Clar? (including his piano version?) Or was that an LP that does give him inspiration? Who did record that Lp, What is on that LP?

W

I just searched on Similau on the net, and then I came across this discussion. Its too cool, cause Ive gotten a little "Similau-fever" the last couple of days, and I even recorded my own rough demo version of it, by multi-tracking guitars and singing. I even tried to imitate some bird-whistling there for the good measure.

I`ll present it for my band when we rehearse on sunday, and I want to try to make some kind of ultimate version of with all the best from the different versions.

Were an instrumental surf-band, but a lot of the exotica/jazz-pop-versions out there have some elements of it that Id like to keep as well. I even think we should do it vocally, cause the melody is so extremely haunting. I just tried to sing on top of the Surfaris-version, and it made a great melodic up-tempo rocknroll song that would`ve cut it on the charts instantly...:wink:

Now the thing that I really like about the Surfaris-version is the chord changes in the "Spirit in the wood in he hallow cane. Echo in the afterglow"-part, because they keep it a little more simple, and it allows the hauntingness to grow a little more on you that way (They go straight F#m-E-F#m-Bm instead of putting some more chords in there that exists on most versions).

Ok, I`ll stop my rant right there. This is an old discussion anyway...:wink:

I just did get this massage, and thought that this info is interesting for all similau fans so I forward it:

My sister directed me to the Tiki Central posts regarding our father's song Similau and I noticed your question regarding the Voodoo album. Not sure if you ever got a reply. The album was recorded by the Richard Hayman Orchestra. Our dad wrote all the music on the album.

Other compositions that he had written over the years that were popular were "Port of Spain" and "Jade". He also wrote a title song called "Once" for an early Stanley Kubric film titled "Killer's Kiss".

Thanks for keeping it alive!

One of the sibs

A

I just Googled my dad's name (Arden Clar) and found your posts about Similau. I am another one of the sibs (one of the sons). Sounds like you have been in contact with my older sisters.

Dad did say that Similau was about the Voodoo god of fertility. We had a discussion once on how in his day you had to disguise the meaning of lyrics that referred to sex or love making and that today (early 70's) you could come right out and say it. We were discussing Simon and Garfunkel's "Cecilia" and the lyric "making love in the afternoon, with Cecilia, up in my bedroom".

Regarding the Voodoo Album, of which I have a copy, I recall him joking in a taped interview that he and Richard Hayman had an agreement, dad would give him half of his music if Richard would give dad half the album. By the way, one of the songs on the Voodoo album was named after my oldest sister. It is called "The Spell of Deatra".

Dad also has a film credit as an actor. He appears briefly in a very bad crime drama called Okefenokee. He is the piano player in the bar about halfway through the film. I think he is there for all of 20 seconds and you never get a good look at his face. He is also credited with writing music for the movie.

I hope this will add to your enjoyment of my father's music.

A

I just got through looking at the EMI Music Publishing web site. According to their listings dad (Arden Clar) is listed as one of the writers, along with Richard Hayman, on the following songs from the Voodoo album:

Afro
Dance Calinda
Gris Gris
Haiti
Invocation
Midnight Ritual
Spell of Deatra
Voodoo
Zombi

One of the sibs.

S

I just found these comments about the song "Similau." I'm coming a little late to the discussion, but better late than never! This is song that I like a lot, and for that reason I've done a lot of searching. This is what I've found so far.

The song was probably inspired by a voodoo chant dedicated to the spirit Similó. (When transcribed to English, "Similó" was turned into "Similau." Also, in the transcribed lyrics, the part that says "I, Similau" should read "aye" instead of "I.")

Similó is said to belong to the Petro family of spirits, which have a reputation for being aggressive, for loving blood, and for eating human beings. Not the nicest spirits! But they can heal and protect those who invoke them. They are generally described as "supernatural magicians."

There's one account that mentions a manifestation of Similó in the shape of a goat, in the act of eating human body parts. I don't know if Similó had a specific area of expertise, but it sure makes sense to think that he (or she?) was related to fertility, given the song's lyrics.

We can safely say that the chant originated in the Caribbean. Voodoo is a Haitian religious system, developed from African traditions brought by slaves the islands. Besides voodoo in Haiti, there is the related religion known as santería, practiced in Cuba, and to a much lesser extent in Puerto Rico. It's very likely that Similó is also one of the saints and spirits that are invoked by santeros.

Back to the song as we know it.

The songwriter who originally wrote "Similau" was Leopoldo González. Then a gentleman by the name of Harry Coleman wrote (or translated?) the lyrics in (into?) English. And, as we already know, the music is credited to Clar Arden. The song has a 1948 copyright. Many internet sites do not mention González, which is wrong. He's officially credited as co-author.

I haven't been able to find out much about Leopoldo González. The little I found out calls him either Puerto Rican or "Puerto Rican by adoption." He is credited with writing one or two famous Spanish songs about Puerto Rico. In the 1950's, he was a pianist and also the producer of Verne Records, a Latin record label with offices in New York. My guess is that he was acquainted with the voodoo chant, and, based on that chant, he wrote the original, Spanish version of the song.

There's at least one version with the original Spanish lyrics. It's by Desi Arnaz (who was Cuban-born, of course, and had a Latin-flavored orchestra before he became famous on TV). He recorded that version in 1949. He also recorded the song in English, both in 1949 and in 1951. I've heard only the 1951 English version. There also a Peggy Lee CD in which he is her guest on an episode of her radio show, in 1951. He sings "Similau." (He also sings a duet with Lee, but it's not "Similau.")

I don't know which was the original version in English. Most likely, there were various competing versions, out around the same time. The one by Edmund Ros is from either 1948 or 1949. Others from 1949 are by Gene Krupa, Ray McKinley, Ray Anthony, Artie Shaw, and Jimmy Dorsey. Some of those are instrumentals, with no vocal.

But the most important by far is Peggy Lee's. She had the hit version - a top 20, in April of 1949. This Peggy Lee recording is very exotica-sounding, especially the jungle sounds in the intro, and in other parts of the osng. There is also a short, wordless interlude, in which the drums get very loud, while Peggy chants "ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." (Four drummers play in her version.) Of the later, post-40's versions, the one by Bobby Darin was probably inspired by Peggy's, because he was a friend and fan of hers.

I've heard the aforementioned version by Sallie Blair, and I like it a lot, too. Yet another version by a female singer is by Caterina Valente.

D

Similau,
Thanks so much for the detailed background on that song!! I too am an admirer of the tune. I, like most people, was introduced to the song on "I Love Lucy" in a episode where Ricky sings it in a dark nightclub.

S

Oh, thank you for being so kind, Digitiki. I had fun writing that. It was all bits and pieces that I had learned little by little. So it was great to have the opportunity to put the bits together in some sort of order!

Best ever version is by Cal Tjader with Chico O'Farrill.

Hi, I just popped in to see if there was anything new on my father's music and saw the posts by Similau. My father (Arden Clar) wrote the music but I have seen Leopoldo González credited with writing the Spanish lyrics, dad wasn't much of a lyricist. Similau is right about the lyric being "aye Similau" rather than "I Similau". I hadn't heard anything about the god Similau other than he was the Voodoo god of fertility. What Similau posted was interesting stuff. I have heard the Martin Deney version of the song and am not fond of it. I do like the version Desi Arnez sang on Peggy Lee's radio show. I think it is very funny that she calls it a native Cuban folk song when it was written by an American Jew who had never left the country. I guess you call that marketing. I believe that Katrina Valente had a hit with it also. I know dad had an old 78 of her version. Of course the best version was always when I was a kid sitting by my dad's piano as he played his own music. Nothing like hearing it from the creator. Glad you all like the music. You can find the sheet music in most of the Latin Fake Books, for those that want to play as well as listen.

On 2009-03-18 12:02, Asha'man wrote:
...I do like the version Desi Arnez sang on Peggy Lee's radio show. I think it is very funny that she calls it a native Cuban folk song when it was written by an American Jew who had never left the country. I guess you call that marketing...

:D

Don't forget that D'reeky also musically scored with another Voodoo/Orisha spirit: Babalú Aye...

Similau
Babalu

Anyone know if the song "Dance Calinda" on the Voodoo album the same one the Four Lads sang - which I guess would make it a cover. Thanks.

Anyone know if the song "Dance Calinda" on the Voodoo album the same one the Four Lads sang - which I guess would make it a cover. Thanks.

On 2009-03-18 12:02, Asha'man wrote:

Of course the best version was always when I was a kid sitting by my dad's piano as he played his own music. Nothing like hearing it from the creator.

Wow. That's as close to the source as it can get.

Mahalo for sharing your memories, Asha'man.

SOK

Too late to post a snip about this being similau to a post I remember from earlier.

har

Bobby Darin's version, in my opinion, is the absolute BEST version. It's wild and dark, upbeat and crazed, and really hits home! And Darin's vocal rhythm and range is extraordinary. The song is soulful and groovy and exotic -- all in one. To compare Darin's version to Peggy Lee's is not giving Darin's version proper justice. (Peggy Lee's is closer to Desi Arnez's version.) 'Course, I know Darin's arranger of the song is the one that deserves the most credit.

So many of the other vesions are slooooow Cuban-esque songs, with an air of stark simplicity and semi-darkness, and are imitating each other without adding much depth or originality to the song's music. To me the song -- because of the message/narrative of the lyrics -- should be upbeat and rejuvinating.

Though I may not be impressed, I'm intereted in hearing Caterina Valente's version, as well as Ray McKinley's version. But most of all I'd love to hear Cal Tjader's version with Chico O'Farrill (I LOVE Cal Tjader!). Anyone have any of these versions/links to these versions, etc.?

As far as Martin Denny's version, it's the best instrumental I've heard of the song. Much better than the Big Band versions or Ray Kaempfert's smooth, easy listening version. And the surf versions I've heard are...well, I won't comment.

Like Arden Clar, Les Baxter didn't leave the U.S. to find inspiration for the exotic music he created on record. But to me, the song 'Similau' and its Exoticism is represented more in the lyrics, not the original music written for it; and is host and subject to many musical interpretations beyond the original and most popularised version. Still, the composer's melody and music cannot be argued with in its inspirational tone, feeling, and atmosphere. However, the composition in its original 'feel' is far more a Westernised Cuban music idealism rather than wildly exotic. A signature sound of the Western Exotic perception and belief of Far Away Places, the song -- through other arrangements -- has since taken on far more Exoticism than originally conceived.

On 2009-05-21 05:23, scissorpaws wrote:

I don't know anything about anyone singing Dance Calinda but it is one of the songs my father wrote. I'll see what I can find out about who might have sung the song. I only know it from the Voodoo Album.

On 2009-07-30 11:46, Asha'man wrote:

On 2009-05-21 05:23, scissorpaws wrote:

I don't know anything about anyone singing Dance Calinda but it is one of the songs my father wrote. I'll see what I can find out about who might have sung the song. I only know it from the Voodoo Album.

Your Dad is Richard Hayman?

No, my father was Arden Clar. He wrote nine of the twelve songs on Richard Hayman's Voodoo album including "Danse Calinda".

Danse Calinda
Spell of Deatra
Afro
Zombi
Voodoo
Haiti
Midnight Ritual
Gris Gris
Invocation

I forget which web site has the information. It may be ASCAP or BMI or one of the other publishers.

On 2009-11-13 10:01, Asha'man wrote:
No, my father was Arden Clar. He wrote nine of the twelve songs on Richard Hayman's Voodoo album including "Danse Calinda".

Danse Calinda
Spell of Deatra
Afro
Zombi
Voodoo
Haiti
Midnight Ritual
Gris Gris
Invocation

I forget which web site has the information. It may be ASCAP or BMI or one of the other publishers.

That is very cool!!

Did he write any other Exotica type compositions?

Do you have a picture of your Dad you could post?

I'd love to learn more about him. He definitely seems like a very creative fellow.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 22, 2010 8:12 PM

Too bad this thread died several months ago?
Jeff asks the questions I want to know
And Bobby Darin,s is definitely the best version ever
Tho I like Lyman,s version over Denny,s any day!

And the Surfaris version is great too!

And Jonah Jones too

TM

On 2008-12-20 04:52, Similau wrote:
I just found these comments about the song "Similau." I'm coming a little late to the discussion, but better late than never! This is song that I like a lot, and for that reason I've done a lot of searching. This is what I've found so far.

The song was probably inspired by a voodoo chant dedicated to the spirit Similó. (When transcribed to English, "Similó" was turned into "Similau." Also, in the transcribed lyrics, the part that says "I, Similau" should read "aye" instead of "I.")

Similó is said to belong to the Petro family of spirits, which have a reputation for being aggressive, for loving blood, and for eating human beings. Not the nicest spirits! But they can heal and protect those who invoke them. They are generally described as "supernatural magicians."

There's one account that mentions a manifestation of Similó in the shape of a goat, in the act of eating human body parts. I don't know if Similó had a specific area of expertise, but it sure makes sense to think that he (or she?) was related to fertility, given the song's lyrics.

We can safely say that the chant originated in the Caribbean. Voodoo is a Haitian religious system, developed from African traditions brought by slaves the islands. Besides voodoo in Haiti, there is the related religion known as santería, practiced in Cuba, and to a much lesser extent in Puerto Rico. It's very likely that Similó is also one of the saints and spirits that are invoked by santeros.

This is the closest explanation..however, the author of the song probably got it wrong..the intent was possibly the "simbi" loa......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simbi

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-12-26 08:09 ]

Pages: 1 43 replies