Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Exotica Girl thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 270 replies

On 2012-02-17 16:11, bigbrotiki wrote:

I give my thumbs up to Nancy Kwan, YES!

Well, then how about the equally delicious Win Min Than? Born in 1933 as Helga Johnston to an Australian "British Raj" government official and a Burmese mother. Sadly, she only appeared in one film, "The Purple Plain" opposite Gregory Peck. There is also more info on her that is interesting in the Wikipedia write-up on the film.

Bear

I think we are getting to far into purely Asian territory here.

An Exotica girl is much more of mysterious origin, usually a mixture of "exotic" and European races - someone that was not considered a common beauty in the 50s, more "Verboten" and intriguing.

So presented only for context & searching for real instead of idealized Exotica girls
I started with Maori Girls...

A modern & mixed culture variation..

Can these be considered "Exotica" & what fits & what does not?

J

I think the imagery shouldn't be too National Geographic authentic or ring post mid-1970's.

Also an Exotica girl's smile should be seductively demure and not a large grin. The latter suggests "Hi wanna be my friend !!". The former "You might get lucky tonight..."

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-17 18:58 ]

So too exotic and not old enough, Check :lol: :lol:

J

In the 1990's, Del-Fi records release 3 retropective compilations featuring Kari Wuhrer on the cover.

One of them had music with primitive cultures as it's subject matter and Ms. Wurher as a campy parody of an exotica woman.

But by doing a campy parody of an exotica girl, she became an exotica girl.

A

Hey! That scan is from my website. Which is fine. But I can't believe that was 13 years ago.

-Randy

Hmm...I can't believe it was 17 years ago that I filmed her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ooriu3Srs

J

On 2012-03-11 14:16, JOHN-O wrote:

Tura Satana… Exotic or ExoticA ??

Ah Ha !! Another Tiki connection, further validating Tura's status in the Tiki Revival...

(More Tropics content from Bigbro) :)

This place just moved up a notch on my Tiki Time Machine travel itinerary.

EDIT - Actually that ad above was from Dustycajun.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-04-13 09:35 ]

Merci, mais pourquois mois? DC started a solid thread about the Denver Tropics,
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36405&forum=2

....and local archeologists like Mike Skinner are closer to the source:

On 2010-05-08 13:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
Zulu Magoo (Mike Skinner) has posted these fantastic photos here (under Denver Tiki) and Michelle Baldwyn wrote an article about it in the Denver Tiki Fanzine:

According to the article, the building still stands.

That leopard leotard photo is a fave of mine. In those outfits, these ladies pass as Exotica girls in action.

I just love those exotica girls. :wink:.

A great studio photo of Nancy Kwan.

DC

On 2012-09-19 20:43, Dustycajun wrote:
A great studio photo of Nancy Kwan.

DC

...and here's a great double portrait of her:

Wish I owned that album. Or better yet, that painting. :)

KSC

Another one of me!

[ Edited by: Kita St Cyr 2012-09-24 21:11 ]

T

Latecomer to this thread but thanks Grog for posting all the Yma Sumac photos. I've been a fan of hers for years. I read somewhere that she really was Amy Camus from the Bronx but her husband (Moises Vivanco? or something like that) spelled her name backwards and conjured up the whole "descendant of Incan priestesses" thing.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 11:34 AM

You're welcome Tikifred (Flintstone?)

GROG did a quick run-through of the thread, and GROG not think these have been posted yet:

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2012-09-27 11:34 ]

Exotica girls and drums are a good combo!

DC

Anybody ever heard of YOKO TANI?:

I am sure you know this Sven (Posing with "Audie Murphy" in picture above)

From IMDb: Yoko Tani was born and raised in France and was making a living as a Parisienne dancer
when opportunities for film came her way in the mid-1950s.

Appeared in TV series "Man in a Suitcase" 1967, " Secret Agent" 1967 and many British & French productions
Including the 1960 East German production "Der schweigende Stern" which was dubbed & re-edited in the US
as "First Spaceship on Venus"

Myself being a fan of the series "Danger Man" remember her from here...

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-11-23 02:40 ]

BB

After TikiTomD's Discovery of Laya Raki in the Beachcomber TV series thread.

Laya Raki images “Borrowed” from A Slice of Cheesecake.

I did a search for some of the other Exotic Beauties that appeared on the series and found Marya Stevens. Seen here looking both exotic and slightly annoyed by Peter Lawford from the Thin Man TV series so I thought I’d add her here.

Image nabbed from ebay

Her IMDB list looks like she had a solid run of fun appearances. :)

Nancy Kwan is vastly underappreciated, but her charms are exquisitely obvious beneath her bath towel in this sequence from "Flower Drum Song"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JigBfoDtzY

And her youthful looks are all attributed to Pearl Cream.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaD_fvehAaU

Earl Moran would qualify for his own thread on any forum, but if exotica is all in the context, then he certainly seemed to be on to something in this selection. Though we don't normally associate exotica girls as smiling as "broadly" as these beauties, I think a woman happy in her sensuality is exotic enough in these post-feminist times.

More of an audio exotica girl as opposed to a visual one but still makes imagination run primitive.

Yahoo News: Where the 'Girl from Ipanema' is today

She is real and did not even know she was the subject of the song that was released 50 years ago till later.

Art Deco Exotica
1930s to 1940s Calendar prints
(from ephemeral auction images currently in the high $200s!)

original images
http://www.martiantiki.com/artdecosacrifrice/

1940's Mexican Calendar Print.
SACRIFICIO
Impreso En Mexico Litografos Mexicanos, S.A.
8" by 10"

"Xochitl"

Art Deco Aztec Priestess
Artist: Armando Drechsler
Date: 1930s-1940s
Made in Mexico Lito-Mex 13 3/4" by 16 3/4"

I like old school. I give you Nancy Kelly from the "Sarong of the Song" movie.

DC

On 2014-08-03 22:35, Dustycajun wrote:
I like old school. I give you Nancy Kelly from the "Sarong of the Song" movie.

DC

that particular eBay seller where we are getting our images from had several more stills that belong on Tiki central. personally I would have put that in a movie thread BUT I wouldn't have realized how well the poster artist copied the photo. thank you DC.

Yvonne De Carlo

S

Just added this to my collection. While the music isn't even close to Exotica, the model/singer is Sandy Warner.

T

Las Vegas showgirl and model Carol Hill photographs by Dorothy Gunn.

Anyone recognize the tiki? May have been in Las Vegas.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 270 replies