On 2009-05-29 13:53, Murph wrote:

On 2009-05-29 13:33, GROG wrote:
Can you guess the artist?

Here's a shot: Nagel?

Nope. Ernie Keen

That was my second guess.
Isn't he the guy with only one ear?

On 2009-05-29 14:27, GROG wrote:
How about some Charlie Allen illustrations bigbro?

Sorry, those are not Exotica girls, but Hula girls. One inhabits the world of Tiki specifically, the other more the world of Polynesian pop (and yes, also Tiki, since Tiki is a part of....don't get me started! :) )

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-05-29 14:34 ]

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 2:35 PM

Gotcha.. so how's this?

On 2009-05-29 14:28, Murph wrote:
Whoa! My eyes!

This is just a tad bit better :D

Same headless sign board artist, I say!

TM

On 2009-05-29 14:16, tikiyaki wrote:
The hottest woman ever (Salma Hayek) paying tribute to the hottest album cover ever.

+1,000,000!!!!!!!!

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 2:39 PM

On 2009-05-29 14:36, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2009-05-29 14:28, Murph wrote:
Whoa! My eyes!

This is just a tad bit better :D

Same headless sign board artist, I say!

One G and the other PG Rated.

You guys are too fast!

Murph, not all Mai Kai maidens pass, since some are too white, but she is admitted. The whole concept of the Mystery Girl (exotic ritual, fire, gong) parallels that of the Exotica Girl.

I think Marina fits the bill of a Modern Exotica Girl. With mermaid tail or without.

You bet your Taboo, Sabu!

On 2009-05-29 14:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
You guys are too fast!

Murph, not all Mai Kai maidens pass, since some are too white, but she is admitted. The whole concept of the Mystery Girl (exotic ritual, fire, gong) parallels that of the Exotica Girl.

A few mystery girls

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 3:08 PM

Here's an Askew

Yes, her facial features are, a little.... :roll:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-05-29 15:33 ]

In honor of Tyree's beautiful velvet that spawned this thread
I'd like to add these couple of velvets I recently did.

This is going fast and furious. Have we seen Bettie Page yet?

DC

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 3:34 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-05-30 00:20 ]

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 4:06 PM

Are we looking at the same model and photoshoot on these two albums?

T

BigBro, you have a group shot of girls in Tiki Modern and a couple are some of the ugliest ones I have ever seen on page 97. Second girl in the back on the left. There is a big black dot on her face? But you certainly make up for it in the rest of the book of course. Chapter Nine is Sexy Tiki.

Second pic better?

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2009-05-30 05:10 ]

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 4:09 PM

Another blond exotic cover

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 4:18 PM

A few more covers

Hey Bigbro....here is one of those exotic girlz with the leopard skin outfits that you dig so much!

Not Exotic enough, Ernie. I appreciate the effort, but the unspecific-ness of this barrage of internet clip art is what the Exotica girl is exactly NOT. The Exotica girl I am looking for is more rare, EXOTIC, alien -just like true Tiki.

Murph, that is amazing, I always wondered what happened to all the other photos from that Primitiva session! Here we have at least one. And in this one she looks cold! :)

Of all the posts, Murph has got the most hits. The Kahiki Mystery girls are in, also. Betty page is primarily a pin up girl, almost a genre into herself, but the pictures from this session do fit into the Exotica genre--which does not mean that ALL babes in leopard suits are automatically Exotica girls!

TK: A.) I never claimed the Kahiki waitresses on page 97 were Exotica girls, and B.), what the frig does Penelope Cruz have to do with the Exotica genre? Folks this is NOT a post about HOT babes that have brown hair and eyes, it is about a pop culture icon that had its heyday in the 50s/60s, partly fueled as I said by Pacific war veterans, partly by American business travelers, and supported by an older movie tradition. MODERN Exotica girls have to be somehow paying homage to that to qualify.

M
Murph posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 5:31 PM

Here's a Martin Denny album cover that is... well you decide. :D

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 5:38 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-05-30 00:23 ]

Here's one super exotic babe...

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of.:wink: If Annette
was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.
Anyways, How has the Quiet Village girl not been posted yet? (sorry about picture/album quality)

I gotta admit, I'm all about Annette!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 9:56 PM

J

This whole post deserves it own Tiki Central category if not a web site of its own !!

Now that I try and pin it down, a full-on happy smile seems to kill it as Exotica for me. She has to be looking alluring..tempting...naughty/sexy. Wholesome: no. (I fully concur with Bigbro on not all hula girls' being Exotica Girls for that reason.)

Jeans, furs, pearls: BIG no. Down-to-Earth or glamorous is NOT exotic. Nice in their own right, but they are not Exotica.

Marina the Mermaid, tailed or no: Always. Whether fire-breathing, Polynesian dancing, belly-dancing, Orion Slave Girl dancing, or peeking through the windows - with a tail - at the [soon-to-be-history] Wreck Bar, she IS the modern Exotica Girl.

And as a mermaid, she can break my above personal rule and smile all she wants; a babe with fins is exotic, no matter what.

And (ideally), the Exotica girl stands in some form of context to Tiki culture or Exotica ---cuz remember folks, this IS Tiki Central. Either by decor, costume, time period, or the Ports of Call concept.

But here I go again, being accused of being limiting again, while all I am doing is trying to define a genre:

Film Noir is a genre. Would you say Jerry Lewis is a classic Film Noir actor? I don't think so. Or Adam Sandler would be a Film Noir actor, just because he has a baby killer face? Not really. Then why would Cassie Ventura be an Exotica girl?

In case some of you don't know, there are LOTS of websites out there for tropical babes like her. Brasil models, Ibiza Girls, and so on. But what do they have to do with the themes and focus of this website?

And of the examples I posted, half of them were NOT from record covers, velvet paintings, or Mai Kai calenders. So they are out there, they're just not easy to find. Like good Tikis.

M

On 2009-05-29 18:23, kahalakruzer wrote:

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of.:wink: If Annette
was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

Here she is a little closer to the topic

[ Edited by: Murph 2009-05-29 23:44 ]

Baeeeeeeep! Not! Murph, you must be running out of examples! Even Kahalakruzer carefully conceded:

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of.:wink: If Annette was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

If she's an Exotica girl, than Jerry Lewis IS a Film Noir actor!

Okay how about the former Mrs. Marlon Brando Tarita from Bora Bora who starred in the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty?

and lovely Tahitian T e v a i t e - V e r n e t t e from the Mel Gibson / Anthony Hopkins version of The Bounty. (I’m spacing out her name since it could draw in more creeps such as myself that do constant Google searches of her.) :blush:

These two make me want to drop everything and start swimming for the Islands

That would be like asking if France Nuyen, the Liat of South Pacific, is an Exotica girl!

Both she and Tarita are classic movie "come hither" Exotica girls inexorably linked to Tiki culture.

Tarita: BOT pages 103 and 133, and Tiki Modern page 269

M

I've still got a few left

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 30, 2009 1:04 AM

TCs very own Liana, photo by me :D

T

Could be but needs that eye make-up for sure. Maybe some lip stick like the above LP cover girls.

Would this fit the criteria? Though pre-Tiki by a million years exotic none the less.

On 2009-05-29 23:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Baeeeeeeep! Not! Murph, you must be running out of examples! Even Kahalakruzer carefully conceded:

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of.:wink: If Annette was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

If she's an Exotica girl, than Jerry Lewis IS a Film Noir actor!

I know, I know, all in jest. Even though I feel she could have an exotic pair of eyes, not Exotica at all. But how much cooler would some of those movies be if she was...:wink:

AppleVenus would be an excellent model for "Exotica Girl". I see more vintage photos than I do "modern" images. Maybe it's time for TCer's to start up a new generation like they have the velvet paintings.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-05-30 11:48 ]

J

On 2009-05-29 23:23, bigbrotiki wrote:

But here I go again, being accused of being limiting again, while all I am doing is trying to define a genre:

Film Noir is a genre. Would you say Jerry Lewis is a classic Film Noir actor?

Actually Film Noir geeks like me would argue that Film Noir is not a genre in the traditional sense. It's more of a mood or style versus a specific visual iconography. I thought Jerry Lewis was pretty "noir" as Buddy Love in the "Nutty Professor". Also take an actor like Fred MacMurray. Whether you consider him a noir icon would depend on if you remember him as Walter Neff in "Double Indemnity" or as the guy from the "My Three Sons" TV show or the live-action Disney comedies.

Exotica may fall into this more subjective category. With Tiki, it's easy. You have to have physical tikis. Just like the Western genre (cowboys, horses) or Science Fiction (space ships, aliens, robots, etc.)

Anyway I see the beginning of a very long (and fun) thread. "Exotica or not Exotica ??"

OK, I guess I'll go back to my Las Vegas thread now.

Sorry, I take my mid-century culture audiences where I can get them. :)

JOHN-O

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-05-30 12:48 ]

Maybe not exotica, but definitely exotic.

T

On 2009-05-29 16:06, Murph wrote:
Are we looking at the same model and photoshoot on these two albums?

Yep, same shoot, same Warner!
Lesser-known shots similar to the Denny releases pop up once in a while - I made a list of the Warner covers that I know of up here.

How 'bout:

Though it ONLY seems apparent with the knowledge of the background story, I really like the fact that (as I mentioned in my earlier post) she is holding her arms and hands in a "I am freezing" position, and clenching her teeth, -the story being that these waters are icy Lake Arrowhead.

This is from a compilation LP (in Stereo) called 'Beyond The Reef'. I don't own a digital camera, but do own a scanner, so the full album cover isn't depicted. However, the important aspect of the album cover -- the girl -- is. And what a lovely girl she is! And though she isn't perhaps 100% Oriental or Polynesian, she isn't a Caucasion girl made up to look like one.

K
KuKu posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 1:19 AM

OK let's see if I can get into the mix without stirring it up...
Blonds

yeah I know the shawl & dress may not be very exotica but she has that look in her eyes

How about redheads?

and then some...

And then just for a little swizzle, exotica or not...?

K
KuKu posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 1:24 AM

On 2009-05-29 12:35, Murph wrote:
Here's one that subscribes to the blond exotic theme.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 270 replies