Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Exotica Girl thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 270 replies

I'm gonna have to say no the second one (and unlike Sven, I even have a little trouble with the first one).
The first one at least has the chair and the Hawaiian-ish cloth.

And she's naked.

The second is just a girl at a bar in modern clothing, drinking her drink and smoking a cigarette. I believe her looking at the camera is not enough to call her an Exotica Girl. Hot date yes, but Exotica Girl no.

But I like how the camera angle is right at table height - like the photographer/drinking partner is starting to slide under the table.
Like she's outdrunk him.

J

Before the WWII G.I.'s returned from the Pacific with tales of Polynesia, 1930's America looked to the "Dark Continent" for its Exotica inspirations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2zW8m0r_g

Also why haven't we seen pictures of Dorothy Lamour yet ?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-05-31 11:39 ]

Dorothy Lamour
Page 2 of this thread
this thread grows so fast, ya can't keep up with it

W

I don't know everyone, this one has always caught my attention:

By the way, the music on this album is, well, so-so at best. . . If anyone is really interested, I could point to a rapidshare for it. .

[ Edited by: whorton 2009-05-31 15:04 ]

If Walmart was around waaay back then, I don't think they would have sold some of these albums in their stores.

That sweetheart of Peru, Yma Sumac was both the artist and cover girl. After all, she was an Incan princess (or was she really just a housewife from New Jersey?).

here a Bar top I did a while back with some realy kool Album covers .

M

Best part of this thread, seeing some great pictures I haven't seen before. Second best part, going through records, books, playing cards, etc haven't looked at in a while looking for appropriate images.

Gauguin doesn't seem to pop up on TC as often as he should

and just because Sven asked for "her gypsy temperament makes her seem dangerous and seductive" back in the first post

The Gauguin models are possibly the first Exotica girls ever, I agree. But what do generic nude playing cards have to do with Exotica or Polynesian pop!? We might as well scan all books with 50s and 60s nude photos and fill this thread with them.

Please be a little bit more discerning, folks.

UB

On 2009-05-29 23:39, Murph wrote:

On 2009-05-29 18:23, kahalakruzer wrote:

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of.:wink: If Annette
was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

Here she is a little closer to the topic

I guess there should be an Annette thread.
Nice thread Sven.

Pineapple Princess

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2009-06-01 01:23 ]

UB

On 2009-05-31 01:19, KuKu wrote:
And then just for a little swizzle, exotica or not...?

Mel Gibson in DragHeart 2.

TM

Uruk Hai from "Lord of the rings"?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 1, 2009 12:21 PM

P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GROG make Formikahini cry!! :lol:

This one's always been a favorite --

(see the Covarrubius thread -- http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7471&forum=1 )

Oooo.

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-06-01 16:50 ]

Nice work, Grog! But we tried that type of argument here before, I think it was for the rule that in order to be Tiki bar, it had to have Tikis in it. Someone edited all the Tikis out of one of the classic BOT photos to question my stance.

Thing is, the "What if...?" approach doesn't work --because the actual image simply was NOT SO. The Tikis WERE in that bar, and these girls ARE NOT on Exotica album covers. The EXISTING context determines the content, not the POSSIBLE context.

If you would define Exotica girls like that, you could put hundreds of 50s Asian pin-ups, and thousands of 60s dark haired heavy eye shadow beauties in the Exotica girl category. I know some guys would not mind seeing nudes posted in these numbers here, but that is really not the focus of this web site.

...and now, withhold your feeble and confused notions for a moment, and behold the Exotica girl power of TONGOLELE !:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs5PHyTF1u8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81l-XuspWOo&feature=related

...y una mas, la exotica Tongolele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K_2GOYo1N0&feature=related

Mahalo to DeSoto Brown :)

O

My wife said I can't play on this thread.
I learned a long time ago, happy wife = happy life.

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2009-06-18 21:49 ]

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2009-06-03 18:49 ]

On 2009-06-01 18:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
...and now, withhold your feeble and confused notions for a moment, and behold the Exotica girl power of TONGOLELE !:

Holey MOLEY!!

I've seen photos of her as an older gal, and only knew that she was "an old Mexican movie star." Little did I know of these gems out there! Thanks indeed, Desoto Brown!
She fits everything in the bill: raven-tressed, come-hither stare, tassels, conga drums and a VOLCANO! So what if she was born in Spokane - she moved to Mexico and became a sultry Latina as fast as she could!

On 2009-06-01 20:35, bananabobs wrote:
The California Surfer Girl was always my favorite, the all natural, girl next door, innocent beauty.

Alright, thread derailingbobs!
Start a California Surfer Girls thread if you must, but your lovely '70's Farrah-winged lass there does not belong in a discussion of Exotica Girls! She would be eaten alive by the likes of Tongolele! :lol:

[[/url]

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2009-06-03 18:51 ]

*On 2009-06-01 21:06, bananabobs wrote:
*It's always the Texan guys who are jealous of us California guys

:lol:
Ummm, we are - you're right.
(Psst: page 2, 3rd post down)

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2009-06-03 20:53 ]

No, it's not my mom - you're right.
It's me...before my operation making me into a Texas Guy.

(And I once had Farrah wings, too! Your wife's a cutie :) )

Two of mankinds finest.....8)

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 10:10 AM

On 2009-06-02 07:28, Tropical_Icebergs wrote:

Two of mankinds finest.....8)

I think you meant FOUR of mankinds finest :D

G

On 2009-06-01 21:33, Formikahini wrote:
No, it's not my mom - you're right.
It's me...before my operation making me into a Texas Guy.

:lol:

Thank you both for that thoroughly hilarious exchange! That was worth the price of admission.

Here are some of my personal favs that haven't been posted yet:

another ....

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 12:58 PM

That voodoo yoodoo!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 1:34 PM

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 2:39 PM

Here's few modern shots influenced by exotica of the past.

http://www.winkytiki.com/

Whoooa! Jeeez, that's Exotica Girl overkill! Murph done it again. :)

When it comes to contemporary Exotica girls, the Don Tiki dancers also set a pretty high standard:

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 3:06 PM

Hot South Pacific Lava:

Join me at the Luau:

Doesn't Andy look exotic?:

Could you rub my back with this pineapple?:

Nice Bongos:

I think I dislocated my elbow:

The Mai Tais are starting to work.. you look good!:

I just think a banana light sconce is cool!

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 4:16 PM

TM

On 2009-06-02 14:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Whoooa! Jeeez, that's Exotica Girl overkill! Murph done it again. :)

When it comes to contemporary Exotica girls, the Don Tiki dancers also set a pretty high standard:

Yes, that's Summer in that picture, the one that caused a heart attack at a Smoking Menehune's gig. You can see why!

I need a cold shower.
:o

Jeff(bigtikidude)

A

BEST....THREAD....EVER

Here are a few I found:

Gene Tierney

Gidget

Making drinks at the Mai Kai

Marilyn (I love this photo)

mmmmm butt Churro

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-06-03 09:56, arriano wrote:
BEST....THREAD....EVER

If only that guy that started it would stop complaining that Surfer Girls and Hula girls and Pin Up girls are not the same thing than Exotica girls!

On 2009-06-03 12:27, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2009-06-03 09:56, arriano wrote:
BEST....THREAD....EVER

If only that guy that started it would stop complaining that Surfer Girls and Hula girls and Pin Up girls are not the same thing than Exotica girls!

Time to rename this thread something else like "hotties" and start the new and improved
Exotica Girl 2.0 thread somewhere else.

Love all the "babe" photos, but I agree with Sven!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-06-03 14:34 ]

Oh my, how you do go on and on.
Cheers, my brothers and sisters.

What!!
You don't think Gidget is exotic??

But she's in a swimsuit!!
And she's a female!!
What more do you want?!

Little known Exotica facts about Gidget/Sally Field:
1.) She was originally cast as Liat for South Pacific, but when they sprayed her skin with darkening paint for the make-up test, she got deathly ill and they had to replace her just days before shooting began.
2.) Martin Denny asked for her to be his cover girl for Primitiva, but she's hydrophobic and couldn't enter the water at Arrowhead Springs. (All the surf scenes in the Gidget movies were blue-screened, natch.)
3.) She really was the descendent of the Inca sun gods.

Ok, of Puerto Rican nuns. Same thing.

But you have to admit that flying is pretty exotic.

Ok, maybe not exotic, but pretty unusual.
Hey! Cindi Lauper is So Unusual! So she's exotica, right?

4.) She played the title role in "Varla's Tale: The Tura Satana Story" on Cinemax in 1983. She learned judo for the part, and even how to twirl her tassels in opposite directions like Tura could for the big volcano sacrifice number.

5.) Hey, you like [her]! You really like [her]! (And liking her/thinking that she's hot is good enough, right?)

I'm working on the Marilyn-as-Exotica-Girl justification next......

Formikahini wrote:
What!!
You don't think Gidget is exotic??

But she's in a swimsuit!!
And she's a female!!
What more do you want?!

Little known Exotica facts about Gidget/Sally Field:
1.) She was originally cast as Liat for South Pacific, but when they sprayed her skin with darkening paint for the make-up test, she got deathly ill and they had to replace her just days before shooting began.
2.) Martin Denny asked for her to be his cover girl for Primitiva, but she's hydrophobic and couldn't enter the water at Arrowhead Springs. (All the surf scenes in the Gidget movies were blue-screened, natch.)
3.) She really was the descendent of the Inca sun gods.

Ok, of Puerto Rican nuns. Same thing.

But you have to admit that flying is pretty exotic.

Ok, maybe not exotic, but pretty unusual.
Hey! Cindi Lauper is So Unusual! So she's exotica, right?

4.) She played the title role in "Varla's Tale: The Tura Satana Story" on Cinemax in 1983. She learned judo for the part, and even how to twirl her tassels in opposite directions like Tura could for the big volcano sacrifice number.

5.) Hey, you like [her]! You really like [her]! (And liking her/thinking that she's hot is good enough, right?)

I'm working on the Marilyn-as-Exotica-Girl justification next......

I like that photo of her...

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-06-04 08:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 270 replies