Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The lockdown

Pages: 1 38 replies

Sorry for the lockdown -- my inbox was full of 6 separate messages, not to mention PMs and Umods. I couldn't take care of everything and I felt if I couldn't get to it right away, it would get worse. So I shut the whole thing down.

please people, this site does not work unless we all try are best to keep it on topic and running smoothly. I've heard it again and again and again for 9 years now: people want to come to TC to relax, talk in-depth about topics they're passionate about, and escape the negative energy that daily life often has. I know it's a tricky balance: one person's favorite aspect of tiki can grate on another's nerves, but that's why I say we all have to work together to make things run smoothly. Me locking stuff down when it gets out of hand isn't going to cut it.

To advertisers: I extended banner ads for 2 extra days. Mahalo for your continued support.

Let's all get back to the reason why we started visiting Tiki Central in the first place.

~Hanford

CJ

I would like to apologize to everyone. I'll understand if you hate me after my drunken post to see if I could get people pissed off and start some drama. I wasn't serious and realize now it was childish of me to do so. I try and support this scene as much as possible and will continue to do so.

Regards,
Joe Collins

ps..my girlfriend hates me now!

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-06-05 01:05 ]

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-06-05 01:15 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 12:01 AM

On 2009-06-04 23:54, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Let's all get back to the reason why we started visiting Tiki Central in the first place.

~Hanford

Amen.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-06-05 00:05 ]

if it matters at all,
I love you Coco Joe.

I have not laughed this hard in a long time.

Sorry Hanford,
but it does crack me up how serious some of the people on here can be sometimes.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 12:07 AM

I appoligize also to tikicentral and hanford and anyone that I may have offended. I love this place and everyone here.....kirby

T

Hanford.

Good call, in my opinion.

Maybe we'll all get some perspective from this.

Now, back to the fun. :)

M

What happened :?

Hanford for president!

B

I knew it had to be some kind of joke.

Silly Rabbit!

I'm glad you were kidding... It's a sensitive nerve cause I do come here to escape, have fun, and get tweaked at the malice that finds it's way into some of the threads. I think people are to quick to post things that they would never say in a face to face setting or to attempt to use the forums to resolve personal issues.

Aloha!

Is three locked out topics in one day a record? Pretty crazy day yesterday, I think I will stick to posting in Tiki Finds!

PTD

It was a pretty boring day at work yesterday after the lockdown...

Thanks Hanford for all the effort you put into and up with in this group.

H

What's even funnier about Coco Joe's Tiki Farm thread was that he mentioned in another thread he was going to start it (clearly as a joke). TeaKey even posted a link to that thread in Coco Joe's thread. Yet people didn't follow the link and read, they just blasted away. Funny stuff if you ask me.

Geeze! I leave town for one day and all the drama!!! Hanford, thanks for all you do... I realize your plate is full, so next time an "issue" arises just call on the Moai Mafia to go knock on a few doors and straighten things out!!! :P

I have a question,
why are the old threads locked instead of just deleting them?

on Sg101 if there is something that is bad/inappropriate/or just plain offense.
the Moderator just deletes the thread.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2009-06-05 08:38, bigtikidude wrote:
I have a question,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maybe people need to see the examples of what is deemed "inappropriate" for TC so they don't make the same mistake.

H

On 2009-06-05 08:54, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2009-06-05 08:38, bigtikidude wrote:
I have a question,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maybe people need to see the examples of what is deemed "inappropriate" for TC so they don't make the same mistake.

This is a good point. Unfortunately the locked threads sink down where they're hardly ever seen. Maybe Hanford can make a sticky post with links to all of the locked threads.

TS

I like the fact Hanford doesn't always delete the topics. People who post should be held accountable for what they say on either side of the fence, and Hanford should not always have to do a "P.C." cleanup after a "storm". He obviously has the power to ban users if they are overly abusive, and that's as far as any messageboards should go.

Personally, the idea of exchanging facts and opinions are what communication is all about, including on the internet. I think moderators set in place to babysit forums and messageboards are rediculous, and unnecessary. Let people show their true colors, even in the forums, unless they threaten other users, or become completely belligerent in all of their posts. I left a few messageboards because of the mod overkill adhered.

Another thing to understand is that there will always be a reaction in interaction. People are passionate about certain things, but not all people are passionate about the same things. I want to thank Hanford for what I feel is best method of modding. Protecting everyones first amendment, unless it becomes a negative attribute of the forum, and, in which case he doesn't have to tolerate it or anyone, and is not bound by such amendment! His forums, his rules.

I'm an adult, and I don't want anyone covering my eyes or putting the "virtual hand" over my mouth, unless I'm completely out of line and deserve it.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-06-05 10:02 ]

T

On 2009-06-04 23:54, hanford_lemoore wrote:

~Hanford

That's a fine idea. Locating Tiki has been my favorite forum since it was first introduced. I find that if I can't contribute anything meaningful or positive to the other forums, I just stick to this one. I enjoy the more content-based areas of the board.

Thanks again, Hanford, for giving us all this place where we can come together and exchange information and ideas.

I've gotten into some flamy discussions in the past, and I try to avoid those at all costs now. Yesterday was the first time in a very long time that I'd posted while incredibly angry. I've always held a philosophy of never editing myself though. If I'm stupid enough to post something moronic while I'm mad or drunk or whatever, I believe in having the balls to leave that comment there for all the world to see. It's a bit humbling and may teach you not to do it again in the future.

Just my two cents.

T
twitch posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 9:52 AM

Aye. Although I can well imagine that future members who stumble upon that trigger-topic will be well confused what with the change in the title & edited first post!

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 9:57 AM

Hanford is cool and it's a good thing he has the ability to use his cool to put out a flame up before things boil over or someone gets burned...

I feel the love!

Note to Coco Joe: That photo you posted might make a good mug! (Hope your girlfriend forgives you) :)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 10:22 AM

And another really good idea is to vote for GROG' niece. It REALLY easy.

(1) Click this link: http://tinyurl.com/p8nojd

(2) Click VOTE.

(3) Leave a comment. (Optional, but helps towards the final score)

Vote daily for the next 25 days so she can win the scholarship.

Thank you, GROG appreciate help.

P

This thread is getting out of hand.

I've U-modded 311 times to get it locked but now see I must take it all public.

I don't like the puffy Cheetos either - the crunchy ones are easily superior.

Z

Sadly, I'll never know what is inappropriate, as the original post is gone...possible out of chagrin. I don't know. So, I will just keep trying not to post bad stuff.

Why don't I delete topics? Tom Slick, you nailed it.

I do everything I can possible to make sure the words you write will stay here, visible to others, for as long as possible -- I plan for it to be beyond my lifetime. I know a lot of idle-chatters posts get made here on Tiki Central, but it's also home to a lot of incredible knowledge that you cannot find anywhere else. And it comes from you guys, not me.

They're your words, and if you don't feel like you have control over them, you're not going to want to post here anymore. That applies the same for the detailed knowledge posts as it does for the jokes, comments, and everything else here on the forum. And, as it applies to controversial topics: It's not my job to remove people's feet from their mouths. If someone has an ugly side, or simply an ugly moment, I'm not doing the community any favors by hiding it from them.

That being said: very little gets edited or deleted here by someone who is not the original author. Here's a general rundown:

• Comments that users tell me are harmful are generally left but, but I politely try to discuss the situation and ask the original poster edit or change their own words. Most of the time this gets the comment changed.
  • Complaints of copyright infringement are generally cause to edit someone's post. This means when the original creator of an image asks me to remove it from a post, I tend to comply.
  • When a NSFW pic that gets complaints is posted, I'll change it to a link with a text warning to others, rather than deleting it.
  • I've removed extreme "taboo" hate comments in a handful of instances.
  • A few times in the past I outright deleted posts from some of the more controversial drunk posters in instances where I caught it minutes after posting. I don't do this anymore. This was when I was still learning the negative affects of hiding people's ugly sides from the community.
  • All other edits are fixing typos: bbCode errors, broken links, etc. I always leave the reason for edit in the post.

Mahalo! Let's gets get back to Tiki!

Hanford

Suits me.

Mahalo, Hanford, for all the fun -- and history-in-the-making -- that is TC.

(I was just going to say, "What Tom Slick said.", but you beat me to it! :)

I feel more and more like I should apologize for the Jimmy Buffett thread. So, I'm sorry, my bad.

Not to mock Mr. Lemoore's decision, but I think that every June 4th should be a day of rememberance of the definition of tiki and maturity. Also, can someone with Photoshop generate a Lockdown Lamprey?

On 2009-06-05 06:22, MakeDaMug wrote:
What happened :?

I love you Holden. Tiki Farm Rocks. Lets have fun!

I mod on a board that can get pretty vicious at times, so much so that the mods would have chat meetings to decide how best to manage so we could cover each other's backs...now most of us don't even use the board any more. Some threads got so ugly that we had to delete and some folks were banned and even timed out the board as well. Over the years it does tend to burn you out and it is sad that some folks can be so cruel to people that have never even met. I never saw the benefit of keeping the evil posts, so thanks for sharing your philosophy Hanford, it makes sense and works well on this board.

Kudos to you for all you do to support this community.

Crunchy Cheetos it is!!!

Edited-typo and to say...I VOTED.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2009-06-05 19:30 ]

On 2009-06-05 10:22, GROG wrote:
And another really good idea is to vote for GROG' niece. It REALLY easy.

(1) Click this link: http://tinyurl.com/p8nojd

(2) Click VOTE.

(3) Leave a comment. (Optional, but helps towards the final score)

Vote daily for the next 25 days so she can win the scholarship.

Thank you, GROG appreciate help.

Holy Crap!!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TWO

Although you cannot hear it, I am singing "for he's a jolly good fellow" to you Hanford. You handled that very well.

TM

I am not a big fan of locking threads, but perhaps this one?

I mean, let's let sleeping dogs lie. I am sure everyone involved was embarrassed enough already, and apologies have been made and hopefully accepted..I say we forget the whole thing and move on...but that ain't gonna happen if people keep adding to this thread.

On a side note, I am just happy for once I was NOT involved in any of the flaming and subsequent locking!!

Jimmy Buffett sucks!!!

The Grateful dead suck!!!!

Tiki fonts rule!!!

Oooops, sorry!!!

hanford,
Could you shut down TC for 2-3 days
a couple of times a month?
My boss says my productivity went up 400%!
:)

Thanks for the peek behind the Wizard's curtain..

W

I agree with Liloti. During the hours TC was locked I met a nice gal, got married, and divorced. It completely made me reconsider my old "Lucky number 4" theory.

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 7:18 PM

On 2009-06-08 08:04, lucas vigor wrote:

Jimmy Buffett sucks!!!

The Grateful dead suck!!!!

Dead Parrotheads Rule!!!
er, oops...?!?

BK

Thanks for everything Hanford. TC is the best! I'm on a Rod & Custom board where the mod is way too trigger happy. He deleted a Buddy Holly thread on the 50th anniversary of his death, because he said it was off topic!
OK! Group Hug!
Except you Grog. You smell like a goat! :lol:

On 2009-06-08 08:04, lucas vigor wrote:
I say we forget the whole thing and move on...but that ain't gonna happen if people keep adding to this thread.

dangit! I want to add something but my brain is like a sieve.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 11:10 PM

On 2009-06-08 20:36, Big Kahuna wrote:
OK! Group Hug!
Except you Grog. You smell like a goat! :lol:

It's actually the smell of Wooly Mammoth that GROG' loin cloth made out of, but nobody else know what Wooly Mammoth smell like, so goat close enough description of smell.

BK

I knew you response would make me laugh. Please, don't ever stop posting on TC. We'd miss ya, wooly stench & all!

Pages: 1 38 replies