Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Magazine Release Party & Art Show---Aug. 1st--8pm @ Tonga Hut

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 1:16 AM

Join Nick Camara and Tiki Magazine for the release party of the latest edition
of Tiki Magazine August 1st at the Tonga Hut.
8pm to Midnight

Cover artist Doug Horne will be there ready to sign copies and will have art available for purchase.

We'll also have:

Eric October (Tobunga) who is featured as "Up and coming Tiki Artist" in this edition.
Stacey Morris is bringing some of her beautiful jewelry.
Tiki Tony who was a previous cover artist.
Hassan Patterson (Headhunter) another previous cover artist, contributing Illustrator, Dream Wahine photographer, and "Oogo Booga" comic artist.
Kirby who might get mentioned in the magazine.
Ernie Keen (GROG) yet another previous cover artist, and "Bamboo Ben" comic artist.

Marty Lush has agreed to DJ in exchange for drinks.

The Tonga Hut is located at 12808 Victory Blvd. in North Hollywood.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-08 18:03 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 1:20 AM

To make a full day of music and fun, head on down to the SG101 Convention for some great Surf music earlier in the day and finish off the night with tasty drinks, art, and fun at the Tiki Magazine release Party that night at the Tonga Hut.

SG 101 thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32375&forum=17&start=0

T

Woweee....Doug, man that cover is A-MAZ-ING !

This harkens back to some of your earlier work, like the Kona Lanes and Kon Tiki paintings.

Are you selling prints of this ?

BTW...The Tonga Hut will make you a Jungle Jetsetter cocktail if you ask for it. :)

your cover is off the HOOK, Mr. Giant!

awesome...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 9:02 AM

Kinny, are coming up for birthday cake?

thanks ernie....
but i would prefer to celebrate my 45th birthday alone....

SD

Hey Kinny

You and Scott will be celebrating the evil 45 about 2 wks. apart, he is on July 17th!

Congrats on another killer cover big D!

wow!! thank you very Much sir.
that is mighty civil of you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-07-07 01:20, GROG wrote:
To make a full day of music and fun, head on down to the SG101 Convention for some great Surf music earlier in the day and finish off the night with tasty drinks, art, and fun at the Tiki Magazine release Party that night at the Tonga Hut.

SG 101 thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32375&forum=17&start=0

C

WOAH on the cover!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the possibility of prints being available of that cover art! (???????) It's stunning!!!

This is the first time I've seen the cover and I agree! Doug Horne, you are FAB - YOU- LOUS! Yes, I do hope you make prints of this one to sell! Looking forward to seeing all of you at the Tonga Hut! Nick Camara has put together another great issue filled with aloha, Tikis and everything we love. Nick, we give you a standing ovation for continuing to sail such a fine ship (of a magazine, that is)! See you on August 1st!!

~ Kari

I think that JonPaul, photo editor, staff photographer and writer for tiki magazine will be there too.
(great work by the way man, and many hours put in by him)on every Issue.

after he is done mixing sound and playing a few songs at the sg101 convention
of course.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

R

On 2009-07-07 01:16, GROG wrote:

Join Nick Camara and Tiki Magazine for the release party of the latest edition
of Tiki Magazine August 1st at the Tonga Hut.
8pm to Midnight

Cover artist Doug Horne will be there ready to sign copies and will have art available for purchase.

We'll also have:

Eric October (Tobunga) who is featured as "Up and coming Tiki Artist" in this edition.
Stacey Morris is bringing some of her beautiful jewelry.
Tiki Tony who was a previous cover artist.
(unconfirmed) Hassan Patterson (Headhunter) another previous cover artist, contributing Illustrator, Dream Wahine photographer, and "Oogo Booga" comic artist.
Kirby who might get mentioned in the magazine.
Ernie Keen (GROG) yet another previous cover artist, and "Bamboo Ben" comic artist.

Marty Lush has agreed to DJ in exchange for drinks.

The Tonga Hut is located at 12808 Victory Blvd. in North Hollywood.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-07 01:28 ]

I'll be there fo sho!- can't wait to get this edition. It look FABULOUS!!!

• Rosered :)

On 2009-07-07 01:16, GROG wrote:
Marty Lush has agreed to DJ in exchange for Drinks.

Damn you Lush,
talk about undercutting the competition?
but I bet he drinks more that what I got payed last time.
so well see who you Hire the next time Grog?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow, the colors got whacked on that jpeg.

Hopefully this will better represent the cover art.

Looking forward to fun times at the Tonga Hut.

Ok, the colors are still a little whacked but it looks better, damn jpegs.

I survived the head-hungry Jivaro tribe!
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-07-07 22:11 ]

SD

Damn Doug Horne, that is gorgeous!

Damn, I wish I could make it to one of these parties! I'm just glad to know a new magazine will be coming in my mailbox soon.

Doug, the cover looks great! Looking forward to seeing what the colors really look like.

WHOO!! I just wrote my first article for the magazine on Cornado High (you can see the little sign on the right of the cover) and am SUPER EXCITED for this!!!! I can't wait!!!

Who's Doug Horne?

Tiki Mag release hosted by GROG Promotions Ltd will rock. Be there square!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2009 12:36 PM

Got a call from Nick Camara of Tiki Magazine, and he said that due to some trouble with the printing company, they won't be able to use Doug Horne's cover art this time, so they are going with the back up cover art by GROG.

GROG will have prints of this for sale at the Tonga Hut. 8 1/2"x11" for $85. Limited edition of 500. Get there early, because these are sure to sell out fast!

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-08 12:37 ]

T

Ah-ha!
Based on the tiki art featured on the New And Improved Grog cover for this issue, I see how I figure in as the Up and Coming TIki Artist!

Doug's cover is AWESOME!
I'm thrilled beyond words to be in such great company in this incredible magazine!
YAY!!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2009 6:01 PM

Nick called and said they got the problems fixed with the printer, so they are back to using Doug Horne's cover.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-08 18:08 ]

T

Great cover Doug. Dig that smok'n puffer fish.

I don't know, Grog. You're certainly giving Mr. Horne a run for his artistic money with that super-lush "Oriental Trading Company Catalog" homage piece you created. Such use of color and layout... That stark white background speaks to my very soul! Were you channeling the photographic master Irving Penn when you thought of this? Oooh! The whole primitive moodiness of it has me all a-tingle!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 1:08 AM

What! Another Tonga Hut thread?...Doug, that cover is just stunning. You are definitely my favourite ever Tiki Mag cover artist of all time! (Sorry Ernie)

T

Cover looks great. The colors probably looked wacked out to you doug, but they're looking good to everybody else! I'll have some Tiki Oasis previews for sale! New Pupu platters, hopefully my new mug will be finished by then named "Pupu." I named the new mug "Pupu" because they misspelled my older mug, "Papua" as "Pupu" in Jay Strongman's "Tiki Mugs" book and I thought it was a better and funnier name for a mug! And I'll have the usual other flotsam and jetsam.

Grog's cover, while very artistic, can be misunderstood as a suggestion for Tiki Oasis room crawl decorations...so I'm glad we're back with Doug's cover.
Ran

SF

Grog, love the cover you did, reminds me of a nightmare I had once.
A Party City tiki was chasing me all over the city and I kept spilling my Mai-Tai as I ran away from him, the horror ... the horror.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-07-09 17:16 ]

On 2009-07-07 22:09, Swamp Fire wrote:
Wow, the colors got whacked on that jpeg.

Hopefully this will better represent the cover art.

Looking forward to fun times at the Tonga Hut.

Ok, the colors are still a little whacked but it looks better, damn jpegs.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-07-07 22:11 ]

Hey Doug that is So awesome, electrifying as a matter of fact. I would love to have a print :) Marty, Marty Lush can't wait to her your jams man!

Is that a petrified fish in the lava rock on Dougs picture?

Truly a magnificent cover Doug!!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

that's one of the birdmen petroglyphs on that lava rock

there is a lamp that LOOKS like a fish
upper right part of the cover...

Here's a birdman rock:

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 13, 2009 12:43 PM

New GROG hand-made Moai Mugs.
(Sorry for bad quality pics, but GROG roommate camera only take video and these are stills from the video.)
These are greenware and have not been fired yet. The one on the far left is dry and the other three are drying out before they can be fired, and then glazed and fired again. All are around 6 1/2" to 6 3/4" tall.
3 mugs are already spoken for. GROG try and get a few more made for Tonga Hut art show.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-13 12:51 ]

i heard Buzzy is making the same exact ones
only cheaper..

B

Wow! Great Cover Art Doug, of course we expected no less. Congrats on the Cover, hope you guys enjoy the party.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 8:14 AM

those are cool lookin mugs grog.. the cover is one of the best yet.. and this is gonna be a great show.. thanks for inviting me to be a part..

T

Heres me with a birdman stone in Oahu .

On 2009-07-13 12:54, little lost tiki wrote:
i heard Buzzy is making the same exact ones
only cheaper..

I'm doing those right after I send off the new magazine I'm doing to the printers. It's called "My Tiki Magazine: celebrating the 'Buzzy Tiki Guy' lifestyle." The cover features a stunning painting of a CocoJoes tiki that i did. In the debut issue, I will be the legendary carvers section and have a profile in the Influential Artists of Today section. I also contributed an article on the history of the San Diego landmark, The House of Buzz. There's also a locating tiki article about tikis in the 92117 zip code, written by me as well. The centerfold photo layout, "Absolutely Tiki", has a spread on my tiki compound in sunny Bay Park. Ladies will want the issue soley for the "Dream Kane" photo, featuring former Mr Carving Village 2007, Bay Park Buzzy. There's another great collecting article in it about the Coco Joe's stickers vs tags debate and another fine article about how to make my signature drink, The Tiki Buzz. You can look for more information about My Tiki Magazine on on of Nick's threads soon!

I got some coffee mugs from China to unpack!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-07-14 11:41 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 11:56 AM

Shouldn't your signature drink be "The Buzzy Navel"?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 11:59 AM

GROG not EVEN want to know what Tiki Ray doing to that birdman stone!!

Cover your eyes children!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-14 12:04 ]

remember "the bird is the word"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-07-14 11:56, GROG wrote:
Shouldn't your signature drink be "The Buzzy Navel"?

No, that's what you suck my signature drink out of!

Buzzy out!

T

Hey Grog, on page 192, chapter 6 of Aku Aku by Thor Hyerdahl it clearly shows how they moved those Moai's across miles of desert and rocks to their final resting places . Im just recreating the same procedure to move this birdman stone to my hotel room .

Heres a pic of me under a Moai just before I begin to lift it into position .

Heres Cindy resting under a Banyan tree as I try to get the stones to my rental car .

Great! Now Rory's going to want to sniff that stone birdman statue ... thanks a lot Ray!

No I didn't!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 20, 2009 5:24 PM

Alright socal people, you've got a couple of chances to buy some tiki art and stuff from the socal artists before Oasis. You've got the Polynesian Pinup show at the Bahooka on July 25th, and then Aug.1st we've got the Tiki Magazine Release Party/ Art Show. Get your stuff now, before it all sells out at Oasis and you miss out. Plus, some of the artists vending here will not be vending at Oasis.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 1:24 AM

GROG hoping to get everything finished for the art show/ Tiki mag release party at the Tonga Hut this Saturday. GROG gotta get 5 hand-made mugs, and two pairs of salt shakers fired, glazed, and fired again this week. GROG and Kirby bought a kiln together we found on Criagslist, so hopefully GROG can figure out how to work that baby and get GROG' hand-made ceramics finished this week. GROG managed to get a hand-made pendant done as well. GROG will probably do some more "origami" to sell, and you get a free "cartoony" drawing with purchase.

GROG can't wait to see the new Tiki Magazine with Doug Horne's awesome cover. A number of people have told GROG they would love to have a print of that image.

M
mp posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 1:54 AM

Ernie, Good luck getting your pieces finished. Your new Moai mugs look awesome.
I hope you and everyone sell all your wares. I wish I could be there. MP

THIS SATURDAY NIGHT!

I'll have my limited edition prints of the Tiki mag. cover art at a discounted
price from my website and Tiki Oasis. I'll also have some new goodies, details and pics to come.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-07-28 17:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies