Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Magazine Release Party & Art Show---Aug. 1st--8pm @ Tonga Hut

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 11:14 AM

Nice flyer. Going to be a good show. Tonga Hut on VICTORY, not Victoria.

Thanks MP. GROG download PDF of Kiln Manual last night, so GROG gotta do some reading, and also have to go get some cones for kiln today. Kilns are fired to cones, rather than a certain temperature. The cones indicate how much heat has been absorbed by the pieces.

Unfortunately GROG not have camera to photo stuff GROG bringing.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-28 11:35 ]

B

yowza Doug, the cover is INSANE. love the molten lava flowing between and betwixt that razor sharp a'a lava rock!!!

hope to see y'all up there!

uncle toesy

On 2009-07-27 01:24, GROG wrote:
GROG and Kirby bought a kiln together we found on Criagslist, so hopefully GROG can figure out how to work that baby and get GROG' hand-made ceramics finished this week.

Grog & Kirby make HipHiP a cool mug it the kiln I think sometime!

See ya all at the Tonga Hut!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 11:28 AM

Firing up the kiln for it's first test fire today. Hopefully everyhing will be A-Okay and tomorrow GROG can fire the rest of GROG' hand-made ceramics.

GROG not have camera, but GROG have scanner, so here's some of the other hand-made crap GROG making. These are still greenware and need to be fired and glazed.

Salt and pepper shaker Moais 3 3/4" tall.

Salt and pepper shaker Tiki Bobs 3 1/4" tall.

Another hand-made GROG Moai mug. 7 inches tall.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 3:14 PM

And don't forget---we 've got Marty Lush providing the tunes.

(He's Djaying, not Karaoke.)

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 3:38 PM

(He's Djaying, not Karaoke.)

Thank god... that guy's voice grates! :D

[ Edited by: Murph 2009-07-28 15:39 ]

T

Whos this Ernie Keen guy ???? Never heard of him .

R

On 2009-07-27 08:36, Swamp Fire wrote:

THIS SATURDAY NIGHT!

I'll have my limited edition prints of the Tiki mag. cover art at a discounted
price from my website and Tiki Oasis. I'll also have some new goodies, details and pics to come.

I survived the head-hungry Jivaro tribe!
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-07-28 17:18 ]

WOW! can't wait to get this copy! :)

I'll have my new mug, PuPu, as well as a bunch of new ceramic necklaces! Also, a 2ft tiki... felt good to carve after over a year. Some Volcano Island bowls, and the last of Lekookoo! Lekookoo and PuPu will only be $40, I reduced the price since I don't have to ship these!
aLoHa, see you all there!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 5:21 PM

Those are realy cool sculpts grog.. hope the firing goes well..
I will be bringin a whole slew of resen and hand carved mahogany pendants, A wall mask and whatever else i can fit on grogs table.Here is a peek..

mahalo...kirby

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-07-29 17:26 ]

Awesome cover Doug!
Sweet swag Kirby and Grog!
Looking forward to Saturday.

Here is a snap of a velvet painting I did recently that's now hanging
at the Tonga Hut. Cheers Jeremy! Thanks for the commission bruddah!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-07-29 22:18 ]

T

NICE....Tonga Hut needs more cool stuff like this.

On a side note, They're adding the Jungle jetsetter cocktail to the drink menu. You can go in there and ask for one....Nikki makes them perfectly too !

I'm there for sure on Sat.

That's so cool!
Great drink Jim!

I was in last Sunday night for a bit & there was a few new art pieces on the wall it was great to see. Come check it out & I thionk I will have that "Jungle Jetsetter Cocktail"

The art looks fantastic!
Looking forward to trying the Jungle Jetsetter.

Hot off the presses,
3D Canvas print
2.5" thick!
Number one of one hundred canvas prints.

jpeg looks like crap, much better in person.

C

On 2009-07-30 17:22, Swamp Fire wrote:
The art looks fantastic!
Looking forward to trying the Jungle Jetsetter.

Hot off the presses,
3D Canvas print
2.5" thick!
Number one of one hundred canvas prints.

jpeg looks like crap, much better in person.

WOW!!!!! 8) 8)
After the event, let us know if you're making those beauties available more broadly.... :wink:

Just in!

Happy Monkey Embroidered work shirt!

See it Saturday night!

That's one kick-arse shirt you got there, Doug. (Insert obvious joke about getting the monkey off your back here....)

We can't make it out to the party this weekend, but will you have these at Tiki Oasis so we can score one then?

ch

N

Received the new issue today! Doug's art rocks!! The mag is full of great stuff. I think the Ohana will really like it.
See you at the Tonga Hut on Saturday.

Nick

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 8:10 PM

The kiln just shut off from bisque firing the mugs and salt shakers. Now it has to cool off overnight, and then GROG can open it tomorrow and hopefully everything survived the firing. Then glazing and another fire on Friday, and hopefully everything will turn out OK to bring to the Tonga Hut on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing everybody's stuff Saturday and drinking some Jetsetters.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-30 20:11 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 8:16 PM

right on grog!!

Grog/s Kiln????

T

Cool Velvet, Cool Shirt, Cool Lucky Penny Monkey!

Here's my newest Mug in its final Glaze... I won't have boxed sets ready, but mug only for $40 #'s 25-35!

This Volcano Island Bowl will be available, plus 2 more different styles.

New Ceramic necklaces in a variety of colors!

A few more Lekookoo's left. The mold broke, so no more will be made. I didn't even get to make 50 in each color like planned.

I was gonna bring this little Tiki but Bongofury found a buyer for him. I will try to make another about the same size. This was only $120

I'll have a few black velvets, and the lamp on the left in this photo... unless I decide to keep it because I've really grown attached to it since I made it last week!

Oh, and I'll have 5 or 6 Monkey Heads... unless they are blowing up in the kiln right now!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 8:33 PM

The stuff's looking good, Tony and Doug.

Everybody has kilns ablazing right now. GROG talk to Babalu an hour ago, and he and Squid have Bab's kiln blazing right now, too.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-30 20:35 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 8:34 PM

On 2009-07-30 20:21, RevBambooBen wrote:
Grog's Kiln????

Yep. That's it, exactly.

K

grog? sniff sniff..Why do I smell burning dog hair? I know you hate your neighbors yappin mutt,but thats not why we bought the kiln...

T

Wow, cool artwork everybody! Can't wait 'til Saturday night!

I'm working on my first pendants!

I've got three different designs so far, a Ku, a Duk Duk and a PNG shield.

I've cast a few in resin and will have them on hand for Saturday!

I'm working on some other stuff that I hope to have finished in time... keeping my fingers crossed, which makes it difficult to do art!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 9:09 AM

One more day..
I think "Dunebugger" might make an early appearance before oasis..

VOTE THIS THREAD TO COOL AND CURRENT !!!!! VOTE THIS THREAD TO COOL AND CURRENT !!!!! VOTE THIS THREAD TO COOL AND CURRENT !!!!! VOTE THIS THREAD TO COOL AND CURRENT !!!!!

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-07-31 09:16 ]

The Duk Duk and the PNG shield are looking Good! Reminds me of the time I was trapped on the East Sepik River back in 1932.

Here's my latest addition "Devil Tiki"..hope to have enough of these to sell tomorrow. It's a collaboration between myself, Doug and Mieko. I was trying for something a little more feminine for the "lady folk". I'm going to play with different colors and also make rings and earrings.

B

dang, that work all looks soooooooooo dang good. if'n i cain't make it up, i hope u guys have a great time.

alohas,

Uncle Toesy

More stuff for the show.

Original mask drawing.
Framed with handmade papers.

Puffer with hat no.2
Original drawing.
Framed with handmade papers.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 7:02 PM

its ramping up!!
Here is the dunebugger car club..I just finished up a small test batch ...I even added sum gold leaf to some of the paint and gave some of them whitewall tires to give them that vintage look..these will be available at the show..

And i will also have a few paintings right off the rumpus room walls

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 8:06 PM

Tonga Hut drink specials for the event Saturday.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-31 20:09 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 8:17 PM

Took longer to glaze things than GROG expected, but it's in the cooker now. GROG was in hurry to get things done quickly so GROG could fire the pieces, and GROG hope GROG didn't screw up some of the glazing on the salt and pepper shakers.

On 2009-07-31 20:06, GROG wrote:
Tonga Hut drink specials for the event Saturday.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-07-31 20:09 ]

Both great drinks and The Tonga Hut Pours these very well! Acually, these debuted at Kirby's Rumpus....

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-07-31 21:31 ]

T

ONLY $20 I'll have my latest creation, a Coco Joe's/ A HIP inspiration. A HIP tiki got me obsessed with tikis when I was 17 and I've always wanted to make my own version. So, since resin is not so eco, I had to do them in ceramic. They are about the same weight, maybe a little more than a resin tiki. I'll have a few different colors for the Tonga Hut!

I've also experimented with some lava effects, we'll see how they turn out tomorrow when I open the kiln!!!

Pendants look awesome Kirby, and happychi! Doug, the new artwork looks great!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 1:55 AM

The kiln is done firing and is now cooling down. GROG open it about 10am and hopefully everything survived the glaze fire, and we'll have some more GROG ceramics at the Tonga Hut.

I'm glad the new kiln trials went smoothly Grog can't wait to see the art :)

I'm glad the new kiln trials went smoothly Grog can't wait to see the art :)

SF

Limited editions of the Tiki Magazine cover art.

I'm doing two versions for the editions.

One is with the Tiki Mag. logo masthead and the 2nd one is with no logo.

"Mysteries of the Moai" with logo (edition of only 25) 13"X16""Mysteries of the Moai" no logo (edtion of 200) 13"X16""Mysteries of the Moai" Special 3-D Canvas edition (Edition of 100) 16"X20"

The 16"X20" canvas giclee

"Diablo Tiki" Edition of 40 (table top version)

See ya'll tonight!

T

Wow, great stuff, Doug!

Grog, I'm on pins and needles... How did the firing go?!?!? Will we see more Grog ceramics tonight?

Wow Doug, Awesome job on the new cover. The colors are off the hook, too bad I can't be there.
Dennis Mathewson

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 11:42 AM

GROG check kiln, and most everything was good. Moai salt and pepper shakers came out great. Moai mugs turned out well. Salty Bob and Pepr Bob had some problems. Pepr Bob had some little areas where it look like the glaze bubbled and left some bisque showing. Salty Bob turned out well, but half of the glaze on top flaked off while GROG was handling it. GROG may bring them for show and tell, but GROG not sell them until glaze fixed and refired.

B

GROG is CLAY ANIMAL!!

Babau think he know GROG's problem...call Babalu.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 2:07 PM

Salt and pepper Moais turned out great.

Bob's needs some fixing.

Those Moaimugs came out as well as can be expected from a caveman.

Congrats to Nick and best wishes for another successful issue. Fantastic cover Doug- Superb in fact. The art on this thread- great stuff! Hows it all gonna cram into that tiny Tonga Hut?

Wish we could be there to celebrate. Someone make a toast to Benzart! He was great to interview and his reflections on his life's path is something else. I was reaffirmed that Ben IS THE man.

Cheers, everyone. HAVE THE FUN~! Someone take pics!

Andy
http://tikijoesocean.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe's Pop 2009-08-01 18:08 ]

I think Andy said it the best!
Congrats to Nick and best wishes for another successful issue. Fantastic cover Doug- Superb in fact. The art on this thread- great stuff! Hows it all gonna cram into that tiny Tonga Hut?

Wish we could be there to celebrate. Someone make a toast to Benzart! He was great to interview and his reflections on his life's path is something else. I was reaffirmed that Ben IS THE man.

Cheers, everyone. HAVE THE FUN~! Someone take pics!

have fun tonight kids!
Can't wait to see y'all in two weeks!

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies