Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

THOR Shrunken heads ....etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies

T

OMG that is HILARIOUS!!!! Same nose and everything!!! Sheeesh!!!

T

Wow, nice work! And I thought the goat skin ones were real looking.. I was way off. These are insane! Knowing the detail in your paintings, its no wonder you'd come up with something like this! Nothing like hand done finishing to make something truly unique!

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 2:06 PM

I got one for you Thor, We need a white guy shrunken head. Better yet a woman, better lips and longer hair.

T
THOR's posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 2:36 PM

I will work on that TeaKey!!! I just got this direct quote from wonderfully talented designer and former Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum art Director/Designer. Just to qualify the authenticity of these new heads. Cut directly from his e-mail today after seeing these a few days ago, he says,

"Having hand selected and displayed several authentic shrunken heads in my capacity as designer of several Ripley's Believe It or Not! attractions, I was astounded at the realism and research Tom has used in the creation of his faux shrunken heads. If I didn't know he sculpted and assembled these, I'd swear they were totally genuine! All that's missing --- is the smell!"

Drew Edward Hunter
Artist and Designer

I will see if I can keep the authenticy on a non native looking one as well...although females are almost never seen as shrunken heads in this practice. Hmmmm I guess you could say it's the same as when a bunch of people jump into an ice cold swimming pool and climbing out, find they have lost thier swim suits somehow...it's only the men who end up with a shrunken head!! Ohhh Lord, did I say that????

M
mp posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 4:38 PM

Hello Thor, the shrunken heads look totally awesome. Great work, MP

B

thor, those thing r MIND-BLOWING!!!!!!!!!

i am speachless...or messageless???

CONGRATULATIONS!!

WICKED - GROOVEY - EVIL - AMAZING

there you go.

Really people... I'm telling you... the heads are REAL!
It's like that H.P. Lovecraft story where the artist created work so
amazing detailed he HAD to be working from a live model.
This is like that!
HE's making REAL shrunken heads!
We have to notify the authorities at once!
(After you buy one of course. Because think how valuable these will be after THOR is locked up in an insane asylum!)

T

BRAD!!

I am ALREADY locked up!! Waaay late on that one!! Heads are real....and I tell ya, it saves on sculpting time...I just put the beans in the dryer on HOT/TOWEL setting and throw in a bounce tissue and WAH LA!! I be done!! The hair comes out looking just like mine too...early Einstein!!

T

You know what's interesting - after seeing the pics posted on this thread I realized how truly complex & intricate peoples' facial features are! I guess I just never looked THAT close at anyone's face before :lol:

Had a quick question Thor, PM sent...

T

Got it Tas!! Got ya covered!! UPDATE as far as these heads to everyone. Based on feedback here I have decided not to totally finish all 15 to 20 heads and save some as basic ones that a buyer can "customize" or tailor to their liking. A basic head will be a hanging style, all the basic realism in sculpt and scalp hair and skin detail. This head would sell for $250.00. From here, just like buying a car, you can accessorize. You see what a head with a 400.00 price includes.

I also have 3 commissions for very high end heads that will be priced in the 2K range.. Those heads will even have the affect of the traditional Chysophora chysochlora irridecent jungle beatle wings in the hair braids. I have acquired 5 specimens which I am developing ways to reproduce artificially but as close to the real thing as one could detect. I love researching this stuff to make these even more what we all want to see as a "REAL" shrunken Head that will make HUGE impact as a conversation piece and piece of art one can own in a home setting like a bar or exotic study.

I have also created VERY real recreations of the blow darts used by many of the Amazon type native tribes. These look SUPER cool attached to heads with artificial gut sinew lines as though they were part of what lead to the head owners fate.

Anyway....see ya at Oasis!! If I have any heads unsold by then, it will only be a couple but I will take orders for a few more if demand is there. I have a CARP load on my plate this year with paintings and these heads are my once a year fun project, so please have patience if I am doing any special commission. Either way, I will display all these heads for my Oasis neighbors to view over a cold Mai Tai!! I will be mostly at Oasis to just relax...not bringing tons from HAwaii this year. I never end up seeing anything when I do!! I will share the same pool side vending suite as last year with my good friend and fellow "Tikifite" MAX (Mo-EYE) and his awesome stuff from his new company, Tabu Island! SEE YA THERE!

[ Edited by: THOR's  2009-08-10 22:46 ]
HT

Tom-How large is the base that holds the bamboo stack on the crowned warrior. thanks Roger

T

No base yet Roger!! I am working on that!! Base will be no big feature in this..I put majority of detail in the heads. You might want to just allow for a peg or extended machine screw at the inside base of yoor display case and then slip the bamboo stake over that and epoxy. The base would likely be bulky in the case if I were to provide one....let me know! OH..and can you PLEASE show us the case!! I have some commissions that all want cases by the way and maybe you are our man to contract that part to!!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2009-08-10 23:30 ]

HT

Tom-See pm, I sent a picture of my idea of the case. I like the cube base on some of the older shrunken heads you made. the base of the stand is 5" deep , I can add more room to the front if necessary. 40' high
from base to top.

HT

disregard PM

HT

Tom-I sent a picture of the case on myspace in a message
Roger

T

ALOHA!!

Thanks to all who picked up heads at Oasis!! Just wanted to give a final shout here...I had several people wanting heads here after Oasis and will be making a few more this week..then it's it fo rthe season. I will HOPEFULLY make more next year, but my schedule looks brutal so I cannot promise. I can customize the two styles for anyone ordering now...spiked or sewn lips..blowdart/feathers and bead decor...etc at no additional cost to customize right now. Thanks again!! GREAT OASIS!!

Hi Thor,
Left you a PM

Aloha Thor,
PM sent...

T

GOT IT!! I am taking PAYPAL here in cae that is a preference! I have three heads that were not finished out....can custom these for any final buyers

T

Sorry for the confusion Jonsey!!! I will get to that commission if I can before the new year!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2009-08-19 07:38 ]

THOR!
Tom,that gentleman in the glass curio case is SUPER-REAL!
You have succeeded in giving these things a life and authenticity!
Moss needs these ALL OVER Frankies!

it was great seeing you for those 15 seconds at Oasis! :)

T

I missed hangin' with ya Ken!! Hope to see ya at Tong Hut or somethng soon my friend!!! BE GOOD!

Hey Tom...
You may have already heard about this...but,
Look up Piers Gibbon...
He is doing a documentary on the Shuar...
And seems to have actual headshrinking footage from the 1960s...
It will air here in the States sometime in November on Nat Geo...
This should be very cool...I cant wait!!!
You did a SUPER great job on recreating these...
I cant wait to get mine... :)
Thanks So Much!!!

T

HO FUNNY I was actually looking all over for actual pics or documents on the process!! Just like yesterday!! If you hear of this coming out soon..PLEASE tell me!!

T

"HEAD CASE" is SOLD"! I will keep this offer for the heads till tonight!! THANKS!!! ALOHA!! ~~T

T

All HEads are shipped from Oasis or after!! I just have "Mai Tai's" left! Bill..please contact me

~~THOR

it's Bill's Birthday week(s)
I imagine after he recovers
he'll contact you!
May i say again
that you bring shrunken heads to LIFE !?!?

T

HAAAA OK!! WELL HAPPY B_DAY to him!! OFCOURSE!! Well tell him, if ya see him he has a Shrunken bean here that he asked me to not sell and he keeps reading my messages and not responding and I will come shrink his head if he doesn't return my messages soon!!! lol I am half kidding..ofcourse! I just have work up to my ears and want this last accounted for head out the shrink shack! Thanks Ken!! I missa You face!!!

P

he's been doing that to me also.

T
THOR's posted on Thu, Oct 1, 2009 9:38 AM

Aloha Perry!

Ohhh...I am sure it's just the Birthday week distraction, Perry I trust ol' Bill he's a good egg!! He and otto are just havin too much fun in Alameda this past week my sources report! (yah I am jelous too!) lol! No worries, I just want to follow through on this last head deal and focus 100% on my painting year. I will stand bye!! If anyone talks to him..tell him to pm me here. Just have no other way to contact him!

Keep up your carving Perry!! I still am sticking to head shrinking but love seeing what ya come up with my friend!!

OK...back to work...

On 2009-08-19 19:46, THOR's wrote:
HO FUNNY I was actually looking all over for actual pics or documents on the process!! Just like yesterday!! If you hear of this coming out soon..PLEASE tell me!!

Hey Tom...and to everyone else interested!!!
The show on National Geographic Channel airs on Nov 15th about Shrunken Heads!!!

EXPEDITION WEEK PREMIERE EPISODES
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 15, 9PM ET/PT
Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers

Terrifying legends from the Amazon tell of Indian headshrinkers who would shrink an enemy's head to render the vengeful soul powerless. Now, NGC has exclusive U.S. access to 45-year-old archive footage captured by explorer Edmundo Bielawski, purportedly the only known footage that shows the process of an actual ¯ recently deceased ¯ human head being shrunk. Author and explorer Piers Gibbon heads deep into the Amazon jungle in an attempt to trace Bielawski's 1960s journey, rediscover the exact location where this scene was filmed and reconnect with the tribe today.

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/expedition-week/all/Overview#tab-shows#ixzz0V6iuXuyy

Holy crap, I haven't been on this site in a while, but these are amazing!
I'd love to see some of the process that goes into making one of these things!
absolutely incredible!

My shrunken head is a very prized possession...Thor did a great job. :wink:
I am going to try to catch that Nat Geo special. It looks interesting.

And before the Head Shrinking show is the....

Easter Island Underworld :)
On legendary Easter Island, a team of National Geographic explorers and scientists undertakes a groundbreaking expedition: to attempt a first-ever mapping of the vast cave system beneath this enigmatic isle. We ride along as the team rappels down sheer cliffs, crawls through narrow labyrinths, and even dons SCUBA gear to complete their task. Deep beneath the earth, in caverns that have been forgotten for centuries, these adventurers discover human remains and telltale artifacts. Together, these finds reveal an astonishing history that is brought to life in startling re-enactments. It is a tale of ingenious achievement, environmental catastrophe, and brutal social breakdown one that remains a haunting lesson for all of us, similarly trapped on an island planet of our own.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/expedition-week/3829/Overview

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2009-11-01 21:32 ]

Hey Tiki Tribe!
Yeah I saw the commercial for "EXPEDITION WEEK PREMIERE EPISODE: Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers"...they show ACTUAL recent footage of what looks to be the process of shrinking a REAL HUMAN HEAD... like recently. Currently. Like, you can get a fresh one! They were showing the footage of them filling the head with sand, and drying it in the sun for six days... and, well, I don't know for sure... but I thought I saw THOR hanging out checking to see if they were done yet.

Hmmmm... I TOLD YOU THEY WERE REAL! But, guess we'll have to watch the episode to make sure if he was in it or not.

Can't wait for the episode to come out!
EXPEDITION WEEK PREMIERE EPISODE: Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers SUNDAY NOVEMBER 15, 9PM ET/PT.

Hey, you ever hear the theme to the low budget film "SHRUNKEN HEADS"?
The music is by Oingo Boingo front man Danny Elfman.
It's classic Elfman, with a weird exotica flavor, yum! You can groove to it for free at...
http://cudraclover.podomatic.com/
...Listen to the "Halloween podcast" at approx 3 minutes in she plays the theme.
Fun stuff!

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-11-10 17:01 ]

On 2009-11-10 16:36, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Hey Tiki Tribe!
Yeah I saw the commercial for "EXPEDITION WEEK PREMIERE EPISODE: Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers"...they show ACTUAL recent footage of what looks to be the process of shrinking a REAL HUMAN HEAD... like recently. Currently. Like, you can get a fresh one! They were showing the footage of them filling the head with sand, and drying it in the sun for six days... and, well, I don't know for sure... but I thought I saw THOR hanging out checking to see if they were done yet.

Hmmmm... I TOLD YOU THEY WERE REAL! But, guess we'll have to watch the episode to make sure if he was in it or not.

Can't wait for the episode to come out!
EXPEDITION WEEK PREMIERE EPISODE: Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers SUNDAY NOVEMBER 15, 9PM ET/PT.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-11-10 17:01 ]

Was Thor standing behind a tree rubbing his hands together? Saying to himself, Mmmm that looks like a good one ...

Looking forward to seeing this show, set for record.

I am looking forward to this too. I want to see how closely my "Headly" looks like the ones getting shrunk on the show. Thor did such a great job...I think he must have been in the Amazon!!!

If I was a reporter, I would be reluctant to take this assignment...LOL.

T

ALOHA!!!

I will look forward to this show tonight!!! It will be like watching a cooking show for me!...fun to compare recipe's! If you do see any familiar natives peering from behind the depths of the jungle...REMEMBER..any resemblemnce is PURELY coinsidental and the loin cloths were added in post production...even the extra long one on the tribesman with a pencil thin stache and goatee....

[ Edited by: thor's 2009-11-16 10:23 ]

I will be tuned in to the show.....I can't wait!!!
Thanks Again Tom....The Tsantsa is awesome!!!!

I watched the Easter Island show first...very interesting and enjoyable.

The Head Hunter show was also great!!! Awesome footage from 40 years ago. Boy, the village sure was mesmerized watching that. Not much recipe sharing for ya Thor...LOL.

It just arrived today!!!
I absolutely adore my shrunken head ~ Can't take my eyes off it!

Holy williwockers Thor, your work is phenomenal!
Gonna have to redesign my tarantula case so that the head takes center stage!

LOVE ITTT!

Your wahine o ke kai,
Marina

Damn!
I love it that there is an internet, and us tiki-freaks can gather together around out virtual tiki village camp fires, and enjoy our Tiki Tribe's virtual Witch doctor's and Shaman's gruesome corpse/art!!

THOR.... U RAWK!

Here's a studio shot with that gorgeous new Thor shrunken head...

[ Edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2010-04-15 12:02 ]

On 2010-04-15 12:01, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! wrote:

.....did the reverse for me.

got the angle right huh!

BT

Her head's not shrunken!

oh... the 'gorgeous' thing threw me off, you weren't talking about her, yeah the shrunken head is mighty nice :wink:

B

WOW!!! awesome!!

On 2010-04-15 12:01, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! wrote:

[ Edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2010-04-15 12:02 ]

Meow hubba hubba!

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies