Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island III @ Freaky Boutiki Gallery: Closing Reception Photos

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies

Freaky Boutiki is proud to announce the inaugural exhibition

Saturday August 1 - Friday September 4, 2009

of Freaky Boutiki Gallery on California's historic Route 101 in the heart of Old Mission Beach.

In association with Tiki Magazine, Freaky Boutiki Gallery will host Tiki Island III - A showing of works & the creative processes of artists including:

PAIPO, MARK SWANSON, BENZART, DREW BROPHY, SQUID, VIN MAN, MIEKO, BABALU, MUNKTIKI, ATOMIKITTY, HEADHUNTER, BOSKO, KINNY RUZIC, ERIK THE RED, BOWANA, BIG TOE, WAHINE TONI, 4WDTIKI, HODAD HANK, TIKI OMAR, REESNIK, BOB HO, PAISLEY, JOHN PAUL BALAK, HEATHER WATTS, TIKI TONY, GECKO, MP, & more...

Visit us during TIKI OASIS and don't miss our artist reception the first Friday in September!

CLOSING RECEPTION 9/4/09 6PM - 11PM
VINTAGE COCKTAILS SERVED next door at GUAVA BEACH & SASKA'S.
JAWAIIAN GRINDS by JAMROC101 Caribbean Grill.
DJ SHUFFLE spinning from Freaky Boutiki Sonic Archives.
FREAKY BOUTIKI 10th Anniversary Shirt Giveaways.

FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY
3740.5 Mission Blvd
Mission Beach CA 92109
(858) 488 4924
(Free parking available at Santa Clara Point, steps away from the gallery.)

Watch this space for previews...

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-18 11:45 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-09-13 17:20 ]

B

Hank, Thanks for including me among your list of Excellent artists, I will do my best to get you some of my finest works.
Wish I could be there in person but Know that I AM there in spirit.
HappyHappyHappy

S
squid posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 1:16 AM

Hodaddy has got it goin' on! The new Freaky Boutiki Gallery is awesome and will be chock-full of good stuff.

Now if I can just get this sculpture finished in time...

Spot on Squidster! Nice, you captured it perfectly I'd say. I'm enjoying seeing all the art you have created, I waited in great anticipation for a long time. Now where's the Tiki cowboy kitty :D

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 2:47 AM

Finally I get to show my stuff alongside many of my favourite TC artists! STOKED! Big thanks to hodaddy for pulling this together (and for giving me a prod where/when I needed it).

Sir Squidly - that is one of my favourite ever pieces of Oceanic art. I think I've seen about 3 of these now and they're one of the only figurative designs I've seen in stone by PNG artists. I've had this one saved for a long time now but am yet to find the time to do a pebble version:

Not only is it a sculptural masterpiece in stone, but it's so weird and cool looking too. Trust you to pluck that guy out of the ether! Where does the straw go?

I was glad to hear I'm not the only one going hard up against the deadline, but unfortunately I won't be able to drop my last-minute entries off in person. Like Ben, I will have to represent in spirit form.

and seeing we're doing sneak previews...

[ Edited by: Paipo 2009-07-27 02:49 ]

Squids
that Zoomorphic PNG guy has always intrigued
Paipo-didn't realize there was more than one!
it pays to hang out with the cool artist kids!
Glad you tackled this fellow,Dave
only your skills and whimsy could pull it off in clay!

Hank-Thanks again for taking the artkids out to SanDiego for a Summer Vacation!
Can't wait to see the explosion of Art from the Hodaddy Realm all fancy and gallery-like!

DJ Shuffle ,too!?!?!?

Couldn't ask for a better venue OR curator!
:)

S
squid posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 8:32 AM

Paipo! Yeah, I love the little fella. Good to see another shot of one. You would do him much justice so get crackin'!!!

Virtual hanging out with Paipo and Benz will have to do...for now :)

Hipster- Thanks. Cowboy boot comin' up...

B

YEAH!!! I gets to be in a Show with the BenZ and Piapo!!!! This is sooo sweet!! Hank, thanks for the opportunity. Your space for the show is really nice, I can't wait to see it set. I've got a few older works and a few newer works going to be in this one. I'll post up some pics a little later on.

BUMP!
gonna have this in the show...
"Migration"

C'mon Babs!
Other arteests!
Let's see what'll be all purdy and on display at the show!

Can't wait to go check it out.
Hoping to get down there opening day after going to the horse races.

hopefully you'll win big at the races
and be able to put some down on some
Tantalizing Tiki Art at the FBGallery of Wonder!

C'mon fellow artists,carvers,sculptors,and weirdos!
post some of the delights that will be gracing the walls on Tiki Island!

Here's another one Hank took down to the gallery last week!

"the Lost Hut"
acrylic,paintpen,and puffpaint on wood

Stuff's looking good folks. Very tired now. Motor skills failing. Thank God for Charlie and her delicious Lychee soda pop! mmmm...

I feel like a Aussie Shepard rounding up the stragglers. Arf Arf!

I can't really complain about artists waiting till the last minute since normally a show of this magnitude would have been planned months ahead of time, and as an artist myself I know what nail biting trauma I've put art directors, curators and gallery owners through. I can take it! Hahaha... In fact, errr... I'm pretty sure Christy at Oasis goes into convulsions at the mere mention of my name.

Well, they don't call it a "soft" opening for nothin! Hey, what did you expect from a gallery you can wear a wet suit or bikini to? As long as you love art, bring your wallet and take something cool home with you, it's all good.

Will post some preview pics tomorrow. Only two days left!!!!!

Yes Kinny, You remember Shuffle. Can you believe I got DJ Mother Freakin' Shuffle to rotate at the closing reception Friday September 4th?? Truely magical.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-07-29 23:25 ]

Pretty sure this fella would sound just like Jackie Mason. Hope you glaze one in blue. lol!

K

wow..Looks like its gonna be a great show!!

On 2009-07-29 23:51, kirby wrote:

You've got a couple pieces in the show too Kirby! Surprise!!!!! :)

Also some wearable art from GOTIKI! Surprise surprise!

I just got a box of fun from Brad Parker too, the contents of which I'll be bringing to Oasis and available at Freaky Boutiki... Surprise surprise surprise!

Just heard from Benz and Paipo and I think everybody's gonna be knocked-out when their goodies arrive. Better late than never, and plenty of reasons to see this show more than once! Like a giant art amoeba it is destined change shape throughout it's life.

I'm going to try and co-ordinate something with the Menkins to get a periodic shuttle moving from Oasis to the Gallery. That would be nifty.

BYO 3-D glasses!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-07-30 09:11 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 4:02 PM

I have been working feverishly to get as much good stuff as I can to this show - I didn't want to just send a meagre handful of odds and ends. I will have at least 3 original Paipo stone tikis (the first time these have EVER been exhibited outside NZ), and 10 or so resins, including some rare end-of-run pieces from molds that are now damaged and will never be available again! Designs include Ku, Cannibal, Tang, Bumatay and maybe a Creature or two! Resin pendants have genuine beachcombed mussel shell inlays and cockle shell toggles, hand detailing, handbraided cords and are all signed personally. So there's a little piece of Paipo and a bit of Te Tai Poutini in each and very one!
Best of all is a very unique piece I have been busting a gut to get made for this show especially (as previewed above)...with a super secret special ingredient!

PS: I can't believe you gave a newbie from Aotearoa top billing on the poster - I'm not worthy! I just hope these pieces help make your inaugural exhibition a raging success Hank!

PICS SOON - I will add more images once the show is underway...

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 4:18 PM

On 2009-07-30 08:51, hodadhank wrote:

On 2009-07-29 23:51, kirby wrote:

On 2009-07-30 08:51, hodadhank wrote:
You've got a couple pieces in the show too Kirby! Surprise!!!!! :)

Oh realy...cool...well if you want something "new" I would be happy to send it down..

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-07-31 07:19 ]

B

Wow, There is sure enough some Great Stuff gonna be here. I have one little lonly piece to open up with but will be Sending more as soon as I can so save room! :D
Here is the Synth Jade pendant who is On his way as we speak.

You micro-carvers give me chills!!

I'm so happy to have you gentlemen joining our fine line up of talented artists for this show. I know you have influenced many and are deserving of your devoted global followings. It is truly MY honor, sirs.

I have been working feverishly myself to transform our former tobacco shoppe into Freaky Boutiki Gallery, the only exhibition space of its kind in San Diego. Only one day left till I unlock the door. So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.

Here are a few promised spoiler pics. I hope they wet your appetites.

Even legendary surfboard guru Big Jim Ellington gets the Jack Ruby treatment trying to sneek a peek.

Of course I couldn't prevent a few rubberneckers from wandering in with the art. Signs and wonders, fellers. Signs and wonders.

More to follow. Hope to see you soon! -Hodaddy

Awesome teaser pics!

B

Very impressive collection of work, Hank! You shouldn't let those 3 weirdos in your gallery though. They'll ruin it for everybody, those Ruiners!

Signs and Wonders indeed...

Wow, everything looks amazing! Nice work islanders!

B

i am LOVING that 3 eyed whistlin' Moai!!!!!!!

all good 'ceptin' that goofiness in the front winder. whut the hail is that?

bigtoe art will commence soon.

t

Not so much 'lowbrow' as 'unibrow' art
http://www.bigtoeart.com
http://www.myspace.com/tom_laura

[ Edited by: bigtoe 2009-08-02 19:57 ]

On 2009-07-31 12:07, BigToe pondered:
i am LOVING that whistlin' !!!!!!!

all good 'ceptin' that goofiness in the front winder.
whut the hail is that?

That's a Bill 4WDTiki Tiki!
:lol:

Yew kno he meens teh OTHER goofiness!

oh.......yeah.

very funny BigHo!

B

This is going to be such a kick ass show!

Hank is all JAZZED UP!

Part of the Ruiners Clan with show goodies...

Ok, I don't have many of these Yipwan Drum mugs to sell at Oasis. I have made 30 total - I think I have 23 or so left. This one (I think it's number 19?) will be the first to go on the market before Oasis... Hank will be selling this guy for what I am selling the rest of them for... $75. - Starting tomorrow... I'm purdy sure he ships. You may have to wait til after the show closes before he ships? For those of you that can't make it to Oasis...here's your chance!!

Babalu

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-07-31 17:08 ]

B

I don't know , you guys better be careful, There's a wackiness goin' around there and I think you guys caught it, OR started it?? Say it Ain't SO.
I should'a known it was you 3 guyz.

Mabbe its a goot ting I can't be there!?????

Once you get past that, there is a Ton of Awesome stuff to be had there.. How long is this going to be open Hank?

On 2009-07-31 19:57, Benzart wrote:
... How long is this going to be open Hank?

Till 6:00PM.

In strictly artistic terms, Me Li key...

S
squid posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 7:23 PM

Hodaddy is really putting on a cool gig here!! Thanks for including us ne'er do wells.

Babalu shot some pics of the finished Freaky BouTiki 3-Eye Moai and ceramic drum #1. We'll have to rely on old Hank to post some pix of the anteater sculpture...

3-eye moai looks sooooo killer with that glaze! and judging from an earlier pic-pretty hunkin big!
and that drum....a Modernist masterpiece!
And i ain't just sayin that cuz you my pappy!
Hank-
ya got a bevvie of Misterpieces in dat dar galleree!

B

dropped off SEVEN choice BigToe entrees down at Kreepy Boutiki tonight!

The redecorated joint is AMAZING. Really well set up and shows off the artwork nicely.

The MASTERWORKS on display by Squid, Kinny Ruzic, Babalu, Bowana and Muntiki boyz compliment the fantastic pendants, tikis, mugs on other cool stuff.

The space reminds me of Mark Blackburn's old Mauna Kea Gallery at the top of da Big Island.

i am stoked to have my artwork joining the party and have priced everything low enuff to find homes right away!

Also great to meet tiki carver Omar (sp?) and the enchanting Lara.

MAhalos for including me Hank!

On 2009-08-01 19:23, squid wrote:
We'll have to rely on old Hank to post some pix of the anteater sculpture...

Hey! Who you callin old "Pappy"? And get off my lawn!

The Jackie Mason PNG is bitchin. Dig it... I taunt it w/ my Dean Martin impression everytime I pass.

A timely visit by The Toe = Hand signed treats! A really swell guy I'm glad we got to rap a little.

A dazzling cluster from 4WDTIKI, BIG TOE, HEATH, HARVEY MENDIOLA and KINNY RIZIC!

JONPAUL BALAK's photography below features the amazingly detailed 'Rongo" and the eerie "Shrunken Head study #4".
I've mounted these next to a Rich Miller surfboard chair so you can sit and stare!

the Limited edition MUNKTIKI case. Paul sent us some beautiful one of a kind Volcano and Scorpion Bowls including the Wahine Bowl lovingly cradled by Wahine Toni in our latest tTiki Magazine Ad, a Fugu double Volcano and a Tangaroa Scorpion!

A fine new palm mask from TIKI OMAR!

more soon...

Beautiful collection of art guys, and congrats on the showcase!

Hope to get over there on Oasis Friday to check it out in person!

N

Left the Freaky Boutiki Gallery a little while ago. When coming to Tiki Oasis or just San Diego, you've got to stop by the gallery. Hodad Hank has assembled an incredible amount of great Tiki art in one place. Lots of different artists in lots of different mediums. Tiki Magazine is very happy to be part of this show. Go check it out, you'll be sorry if you don't. Bravo, Hank!

Nick

H

Thanky Thanky...

More whistle wetters...

YES! The new issue of TIKI MAGAZINE has arrived with an amazing cover by Douge Horne...

If you'd like to see a larger version, we have one of those too!!!

A swanky BOSKO mod shield design. Ready to spice up your den...

BIG TOE's original painting FERAL GUARDIAN flanked by a pair of classic BOSKO redwood masks...

Get it while it's hot! #16 YIPWAN Drum Mug by Babalu. The first mug of this highly anticipated mini-production to be made available. Weeks until the rest of this series becomes available!

Matt Reese, King of the FINKNIKS stops by to drool over a 1 of 1 Babalu Maori trophy head mug. Hand built, not cast!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-03 09:14 ]

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 1:43 AM

rock tease....

Arriving very soon - along with #63 & #66!

I will also now have almost 20 resins available after uncovering a hidden cache of goodies, including all the designs that were missing...

B

I'm like super giddy to be in a show with the great Paipo! You RAWK the hardest brother!

ARE THEM ORONGO BIRDMEN I BE A-SPYIN
from the top of that pendant?

paipo Rocks!

MN

On 2009-08-03 10:28, little lost tiki wrote:
ARE THEM ORONGO BIRDMEN I BE A-SPYIN
from the top of that pendant?

paipo Rocks!

Cheat!

In association with Freaky Boutiki Gallery, Guava Beach Bar & Grill is serving up the exotic past all month with seven vintage recipes culled from Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's painstaking research sure to put gallery visitors in seventh heaven!

To insure historical accuracy get down here an give 'em a taste test!

Ask for the TIKI ISLAND COCKTAIL MENU and be sure to rub Big Mellow Mo's belly for luck...

***The Outrigger

*The Castaway

*The Trader Vic Mai Tai

*The Meihana (not vintage but tasty!)

*Don The Beachconmber Zombie

*Chief Lapu Lapu

Traditional Hurricane*

cool man,
I had no idea about that place being there.

great art by everybody. wow!!
congrats

I need to come down,
maybe next monday to check it all out.
you open on mondays?

Jeff(btd)

B
BigToe posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 1:26 PM

sweeeeeeeeeeet. i am pretty dang stoked too, Babs...but not just about Paipo (which is awesome), but also with YOU (which is awesome), AND Bowana (which is awesome), AND Benzart (which is awesome), AND Munktiki (which is awesome), And BOSKO for cryin' out loud!!! Hell, everyone on the list makes me giddy!

don't fergit dat City Slicker BigToad!
he's pretty Awe-sum two!

H

...Oh and don't the Wizard of Orange: Kinky Rugburn. "I almost drank that damn Zipfiz Friday nite at about 5AM."

Seen here flanked by Squid's 1 of 1 hand sculpted Freaky Boutiki logo moai DRY ICE SMOKER and PNG Aardvark, LLT's Migration is breathtaking up close and personal and boasts a custom frame by Bamboo Ben! Just one of two Kinny & Ben collaborations in the show...

The other being a 3-D optical illusion in Kinny's stained glass style whose gaze seems to follow you as you pass... titled oddly "One Eyed Moai".

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies