Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island III @ Freaky Boutiki Gallery: Closing Reception Photos

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies

Thanks everybody for stopping in before, during and after Oasis.

I've got lots more pictures to post and will do so soon, but wanted to post this interview I just gave to the San Diego News Group before it was edited down to a paragraph and published.

Aloha Anthony!

I hope you will include some photos with this article as the artwork is really unusual. (... and that you won't feel the need to edit it down to a slender sentence. Haha.)

Mahalo - HodadHank
Proprietor /Curator

FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY
3742 Mission Blvd
Mission Beach CA 92109

SDNG- Explain a little bit about this special event? Will local artists be participating?

HH- *In coordination with our tenth anniversary and the launch of FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY, we're hosting TIKI ISLAND 3, an international group show including work by many San Diego area artists; all influenced by mid century American Tiki culture as well as original islander inspirations. The exhibition explores the creative processes and divergent paths used by each artist in their personal journey to create modern primitive artworks using various mediums.

TIKI ISLAND is an annual Polynesian Pop art show initiated by San Diego publication Tiki Magazine and this year supported by GUAVA BEACH BAR & GRILL, who are offering a special vintage tropical cocktail menu all month, and MR TIKI's MAI TAI LOUNGE in the Gaslamp Quarter offering food discounts to gallery patrons.*

SDNG- Why should people come check it out?

HH- Polynesian Pop is a truly American artistic phenomenon, like Jazz, particularly here in San Diego, born as the greatest generation returned from the Pacific theater after WWII. Memories of island life inspired many to re-create them on the mainland resulting in a cultural movement paralleling and incorporating elements of the futuristic space race. Tiki's primitive influence was vast and spread from southern California across the nation and the world. While its prominence has ebbed, one need only look at the surging popularity of San Diego's Polynesian Pop landmarks like Mission Beach's own Catamaran Resort or Shelter Island's Bali Hai, Half Moon Inn or the Kona Kai Resort to realize San Diego owns a very special place in America's legacy of Tiki which should be honored, preserved and most of all enjoyed.

SDNG- What are some other elements of the new gallery?

HH- *FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY is not a stuffy affair. We currently have a dazzling selection artwork to appeal to all tastes and budgets. FBG remains the only official MUNKTIKI CERAMICS dealer in the northern hemisphere, premier makers of limited edition hand made tiki mugs. We are also proud to introduce the artwork of PAIPO, renowned New Zealand micro-carver and expert lapidary artist for his first American exhibition. We are above all, a gallery BY artists FOR artists and will be offering our favorite lines of art and carving supplies beginning this fall. We are a working artists' studio; painting, jewelry-making and carving on site every single day.

Our adjoining 1200 sq foot tropical gift shop FREAKY BOUTIKI features board shorts, sandals, aloha shirts, Marini's famous Salt Water Taffy, Exotica, Jazz, Caribbean vinyl and CD's, as well as curios like hard-to-find Pacific art resource books, boars tusk jewelry, glass fishing floats, Tapa cloth lamps, puffer fish and shrunken heads!*

SDNG- What is the significance of your 10-year anniversary?

HH- *When compared to legendary neighbors Saska's, a Mission Beach landmark for almost sixty years, a decade seems like a tiny blip on the radar. But for me, this is a great personal triumph. A goal finally realized. Spending so many years kicking around as a freelance illustrator, cartoonist, working with Navajo silversmiths in the desert, art directing or curating the Imagine Gallery on Route 66... the road to opening my own gallery has seemed long indeed.

Being a part of historic MB is a dream come true and I have enjoyed every moment. I have great neighbors and am proud to do my part to make my neighborhood a regular year round stop for San Diego residents as well as a must-see destination for visitors from abroad.*

SDNG- So, what are the hours of the gallery?

HH- Freaky Boutiki Gallery is currently open six days a week from ten to six. Dark Tuesday. TIKI ISLAND 3 show reception will be Friday, September fourth, from six to eleven pm.

SDNG- Is the gallery taking the place of your smoke shop?

HH- Ah, yes. The question on everyone's lips! I suppose the answer is yes AND no. While The ORIGINAL Freak Factory Smoke Shoppe is a thing of the permanent past, FREAKY BOUTIKI remains a licensed tobacconist and a regular stop for aficianados craving premium Cuban seed cigars, collectable hand carved briar wood and Meerschaum pipes or fine tobaccos.

Congrats on the interview.
hope it brings in lots o people.

nice gallery and amazing artwork by everybody involved.
I will try to be back down for the big shindig in Sept.

Jeff(btd)

T

Lovin all the pics. Its the next best thing to being there when you can't

Hank,
you took a chance
and look how it blossomed!
mahalo for supporting us wayward artists and carvers and sculptors
and providing us a venue that showcases our babies in style!
You are a treasure to the community!
:)

T

Wow HoDaddy! Congrats on the 10 years! You really are a treasure for the Tiki community! What's next? Hodad Hanks Tiki Restaurant

B

Hodadhank can write?

On 2009-08-19 12:31, Bowana wrote:
Hodadhank can write?

Dude! You RUINED MY LOVEFEST! YOU RUINER!

Hi guys!

I'm Pinky,

the Boutiki's newest Freak and I want to show you some cool things you'll find at FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY.

Get over here!

a Marquesan Tiki by 4WDTIKI

Mugtopia

cool tunes from Dionysus Records Empire

resins by Mieko

Rongo photo by Jonpaul Balak

the MUNKTIKI NUI NUI IPU mold.

Ali-i II by Bowana

Pinky on black velvet by Heather Watts

a land board by Vin Man

a leopard shield by Bosko

KewpieTang by HodadHank

Big Toe's actual Palette!

a black velvet painting or black-lite reactive mug by Tiki Tony

Chop The Mug painting by MP

Hukilau relics by Derek Yaniger

Moonlite Mirage painting by Kinny Ruzic

Mugs, vases and bowls by Gecko

Lamps by GOTIKI

resins by Kirby

a one of a kind Freaky Boutiki signature dry-ice fogger by Squid

a painting by Big Toe

LTD editions by MUNKTIKI

flotsom & jetsom photos by Rod Adcox

Diamondhead by Heath

and much much more!!!!!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-24 09:17 ]

Geeez Hank,
by proof of that last Pic,
you'll let any kind if rirr raff in that place, won't you?
hope that loaf bought something.

Jeff(btd)

get over it jeff..
you bought something...
whoop-dee-doo..
Now quit braggin about it
and buy some more!
:lol:

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 21, 2009 2:14 PM

So Hodaddy, you keep talking about this smokin' moai, but I haven't seen you fire it up yet.....

So, who's coming down for the closing reception? Sounds like fun.

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 21, 2009 3:33 PM

On 2009-08-21 14:42, Matt Reese wrote:

ME! Hank promised a sweaty deli tray and a bottle of Night Train for all the artists!

I'll be down for drinkin' wine-spodi-odi and spittin' at the stars. I've been out of the loop for so long, I had no clue that this show had even happened untile I saw the postcard at Oasis. Funny how bad news tavels like wildfire.......and good news travels slow.

On 2009-08-21 15:33, squid wrote:

On 2009-08-21 14:42, Matt Reese wrote:

ME! Hank promised a sweaty deli tray and a bottle of Night Train for all the artists!

I actually found a half eaten melon of some sort in the alley that I'm savin' too.... um, I think it's a melon. It could be meatloaf.

Actually I'll be having some Jawaiian patties supplied by Jamrock101 in Del Mar, and while I can't serve booze there are plenty of options on either side of the gallery.

Guava Beach Bar & Grill just 29 steps south is host to a younger tattooed crowd but is offering special exotic elixers culled from Beachbum's Grog Log recipies just for you guys including The Outrigger, The Castaway, The Meihana, The Chief Lapu Lapu, The Traditional Hurricane and a Don the Beachcomber Zombie and Trader Vic Mai Tai! Ask for the TIKI ISLAND cocktail menu and tell em Hodaddy sent ya.(They'll charge you double and give me half.)
http://guava-beach.com/

68 year old Saska's Steaks, Seafood & Sushi is just 29 steps north in the oldest building in Mission Beach. Once the original land office for the turn of the century beach comunity Saska's now offers booze to hard drinking old timers in a dim atmosphere with cozy red booths and decked out floor to ceiling in the wreckage of the original wooden boardwalk or yummy sushi in a sleek outdoor patio. The food is stellar.
http://www.saskas.com/

Since you can't all sleep on my couch Mission Beach's very own Poly-pop gem the Catamaran Resort is only a short walk north along the bayside, full of parrots, waterfalls, giant a-fames, outriggers and PNG antiquities shippd home from the doomed Michael Rockerfeller incluing a throne you've got to see to believe. September fourth also happens the Cat's final Luau of the season, a spectacle including a bevy of wiggling wahine, fire knife dancers and live musicians performing for the all you can eat bayside buffet. $35 for resort guests and $58 for non guests... or you can watch for free from the fence lining the boardwalk! hee hee. 6-9PM. Catamaran's Moray's Lounge has happy hour food & drink specials from 4-6.
http://www.catamaranresort.com/

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 21, 2009 5:42 PM

OK, great, whatever... you gonna fire up the moai or what dude??? We're waiting!!

On 2009-08-21 17:42, squid wrote:
OK, great, whatever... you gonna fire up the moai or what dude??? We're waiting!!

The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last.

On 2009-08-21 09:58, little lost tiki wrote:
get over it jeff..
you bought something...
whoop-dee-doo..
Now quit braggin about it
and buy some more!

Kenny,
bite me,

Jeff(btd)

snicker-choke

Jeff's new Hodadhank Hawaiian-style shipwreck teak pendant!

Just some of resource materials from across dark and dangerous seas now available at the Gallery...

Blacklite shennanigans with a Tiki Tony handpainted & bejeweled Fatutu mug!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-23 10:18 ]

Two from the vault...

A delicious chocolate and frosty vilolet Suffering Bastard from Trader Vics 2002. A ONE OF A KIND gem from the depths of the Tiki Farm Vaults.

This unique Derek Yaniger Moai Suave is simply splendid in rich browns, creams and turquoise. Another ONE OF A KIND colorway from our dear friends at Tiki Farm.

Only at FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY!

RUINERS!

Yeah they ruined my Wahine. Jist Lookit her lip!

I missed all this good stuff while I was there for Oasis. Checking the calendar for the 4th - thinking I've got to go . . .

I hope you can make it down Kiki!

Lots of cool stuff still available and new things arriving all the time!

Just to prove cool things never really disappear, they simply garner new appreciators,

The very same afternoon long time patrons Wayne and Terry stopped by to admire ULTRATANG (which sat at the light Gallery in Orange for a year but sold the instant I brought him home)...

...my itty bitty neighbor Maxie came by to show me his NEW TOYS!

I was so stoked by the synchronicity of the day I gave Maxie my old Ultraman mask I'd been saving for a special occasion. He's such a gigglepuss!

S
squid posted on Mon, Aug 24, 2009 4:02 PM

On 2009-08-24 09:14, hodadhank wrote:

Dude! I swear Toni was like that when we got there! We ruin all sorts of stuff but never yer wahine. She must have seen Kinny just before that. :D

B

On 2009-08-24 16:02, squid wrote:

On 2009-08-24 09:14, hodadhank wrote:

Dude! I swear Toni was like that when we got there! We ruin all sorts of stuff but never yer wahine. She must have seen Kinny just before that. :D

Reckon war obliged ta git on down thar fer the closin' ceremonies an' unruin whut that durn Junior did ta that thar gal's lip then, eh?

We ruin many things, but we are not wahine ruiners!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ Edited by: Bowana 2009-08-24 21:23 ]

B

still tryin' to figger a way to git down there for the closer. grrrrrrr...i am over-booked.

that's cause yer a Big Ho!

overbooker!

Twinkle-toe is over-extended, eh? I hope you can make it, Tom. My wife has a shitload of questions for you.

Is this about that "present" Toe left on your doorstep,Billy?

Plenty cool stuffs at da FBG!

Rare and discontinued jars from elusive ARTIST X

Four feet of aged grey Marquesan dynamite by 4WDTIKI

Exquisite mussel shell inlay resins by Paipo of NZ

Own a piece of Huntington Beach history by Babalu

Whimical black velvet painting by Tiki Tony

Never before available wood carvings by Bowana

Fun ceramic tiki accent lamps from GOTIKI

Own this highly aclaimed one of a kind PNG anteater by Squid

Tabacco barn carving by Bob Ho

Rediculous pop culture tikis by Hodaddy (TIKI BOB DOBBS LOVES YOU!)

N

If you can swing it, definitely plan on attending the closing for the 3rd Annual Tiki Island art show at the Freaky Boutiki. Hodad Hank has assembled an amazing collection of Tiki art that just may be the finest Tiki art show ever!!!! Tiki Magazine is proud to be a part of it!! My wife and I will be there. I hope to see a lot of the TC Ohana this Friday, September 4th starting at 6pm. The show ends at 11pm. See you there!

Full moon that night, how appropriate! :lol:

I'll be there!

Here are a couple of Wahine Toni carvings I picked up while out there for Oasis in there new home...

The "Tapa Tiki" Toni was nice enough to bring to Oasis from the store for me, I stopped in the shop when I got to town Thursday and kept thinking I should have picked it up then.
Thanks for letting my dog come in to shop too...

Side and back detail.

What I did buy while in the store

Side.

Close up detail.

The big picture, "Aloha" at home with some of my Goodwill findings.

Any of those "Wahine Toni" prints left?????

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-09-01 18:45 ]

Thanks for the pics Scott and yes I believe there may be a few signed Toni prints here. PM your info and i'll get one sent out. Mahalo for your purchases.

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-09-01 01:14 ]

S
squid posted on Tue, Sep 1, 2009 9:58 AM

On 2009-08-27 17:25, hodadhank wrote:
Plenty cool stuffs at da FBG!

Rare and discontinued jars from elusive ARTIST X

Who the heck could THAT be?
:D

i think TikiDan carved that one...
or maybe Buzzy!

The missus and i will be heading up early to see the Oceanic Arts Exhibition at the museum
and then down to the Boutiki !
YAY!

Who else is comin?

I am! Can't wait to see my friend Cotton Top and celebrate his head being still attached!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Sep 1, 2009 2:14 PM

The missus and i will be heading up early to see the Oceanic Arts Exhibition at the museum
and then down to the Boutiki !
YAY!

Sir K,

The mother-in-law and I went to see the museum show last weekend. I very much enjoyed it (buy the book - $25). The show was small, but large in content. The 3 png drums there are very tasty... Add time on to tour around a bit....there is much to see besides the Oceanic stuff. This will be fun shooting the shit about the museum with you this weekend....

Hank,

See you FRIDAY brother!

M
mieko posted on Tue, Sep 1, 2009 9:58 PM

See you all Friday! Really looking forward to it!

M
mp posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 1:54 AM

Hank, Thank you for the friendly welcoming down at your gallery monday
after Oasis. So good to meet you and quite a shocker you putting up a couple
of my art pieces in the show. What an honor to be in there with all those great artists.
We were in Mission Beach for our Oasis stay and what a blast we had. Thanks again, MP

H

Nothing lasts forever kids, and so it is with the wonderful colaboration between Tiki Magazine and FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY forever to be known as TIKI ISLAND 3 (AKA The Best Tiki Island This Year).

Closing Shindig Starts at 6 PM!

Be sure to start off with a cocktail from Guava Beach or Saka's to get your wallet lubricated for some old fashioned art patronage.

Here's your chance to show these creative cats and kittens you support their efforts to keep the spirit of tiki alive and well in the 21st Century by purchasing their artwork, Meet normally skittish and reclusive denizens of the nocturnal art world in their natural habitat...

...and satiate your appetite with tasty Jawaiian treats from Jamroc101 Caribbean Grill.

Wicked Jamaican Patties...

Scumptious Plantains

and delicious FESTIVOLS (no photo can capture their glory) which are kinda like a sweet Jamaican version of a hushpuppy...

... and I'll be busting out my precious bottle of scotch bonnet just for the occasion. Hot stuff! OHHHHHH LLLLOOOOK OUT MAN!!!

DJ Shuffle insists you'll be grooving thoughout the evening to the sounds of Lee Morgan, Arthur Lyman, Ape, The Del-Tones, Jerry Byrd, Dexter Gordon, Don Tiki, The Ventures, Herb Ohta, SSSU, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Cal Tjader, The Pyramids, New Hawaiian Band, Clouseaux, Dizzy Gillespie, Tak Shindo, Jack Nitzche, Truus, Red Norvo and plenty more...

We recycle, so feel free to bring your plastic...

YAY!

Skittish and reclusive!?!?!
Heck yeah!

HEY HANK!

What Oceanic books you got leftover from Oasis at the Boutiki?

H
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.