Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island III @ Freaky Boutiki Gallery: Closing Reception Photos

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies

H

BTW, Here's a great closeup of Squids Freaky Boutiki logo Moai DRY ICE SMOKER.

The hand cut cork bottom seal directs the cool fog from his puckered pie hole. I almost cried when I saw this baby. Thanks Squidster.

H

The gallery was fortunate to obtain som Miko ORIGINALS never before offered for public sale. The diarama sheds a little light on the process the artist uses to create her popular pendants.

Starting with baswood or walnut Mieko carves her design using hook knife and small push tools taking great care to smooth and refine it's surface in preperation for resin casting. Once a mold has been made of the original resin is hand mixed to the artists specific color choice, poured and allowed to harden. When firm, the rough casting is removed from the mold and hand finished and detailed to completion. No two are ever alike.
Just below you can see pendants and miniature statuary by Bowana who also casts in resin but uses clay to hand sculpt each design before casting rather than carving.

Hey all,stopped by hank's shop today and i gotta tell ya,you will really dig what he's done with the place,a must see during your days at Oasis!!

H

Mahalo KT. We aims to please.

Here's a great shot of a 4WD Marq in our front window at night.

I've always loved Bill's work. Such a recognisable style: Well designed, crisp and clean so unlike most buzzsaw carvers. A constant inspiration and such a great pleasure to be avble to show his extrordinary work to the world.

Thanks for making that massive Moai Marq jut for our show. Awesome!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 5:43 PM

I hear my pieces are now at the gallery...get in there and check 'em out! Pics soon!

S
squid posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 9:54 PM

So Hank, let's say one wanted to go to the gallery during Oasis. And let's say one didn't have a car or perhaps one had been been drinking a wee bit and didn't want to operate a motor vehicle. How would one get there?

well i have a car and i don't drink and i'm gonna hit the gallery thurs afternoon. who wants a ride?

M
mieko posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 11:59 PM

Wow Hank! It all looks great!!! Thanks so much for including me in the show, I'm very excited!!!

B
BigToe posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 8:44 AM

not sure i mentioned how killer Meikos pendants look in the case!

also, here is the 7th painting from Uncle Toesy, "Wildgirl Kimica", which is a decopaged (sp?) drawing painted over with acrylics, then given a phenomenal custom framing treatment by Link at Frame Fetish. note the multi-layer, hand-cut mat bamboo inner frame with iron-cross corners! hope to see y'all down there next weekend!

bite it kinny

[ Edited by: bigtoe 2009-08-07 10:35 ]

K
kirby posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 8:57 AM

Im pleased to announce that "wanna-be-a-lono"will be joining the family as well..What an honor to have my stuff in the same room with all these great artist.. Thanks hodad!!

On 2009-08-07 08:44, BigToe wrote:
not sure i mentioned how killer Meikos pendants look in the case!

also, here is the 7th painting from Uncle Toesy, "Wildgirl Kimica", which is a decopaged (sp?) drawing painted over with acrylics, then given a phenomenal custom framing treatment by Link at Frame Fetish. note the multi-layer, hand-cut mat bamboo inner frame with iron-cross corners! hope to see y'all down there next weekend!

Great looking Piece,Toe!
although ,i think the viewers would like to see it
without a microscope!

What is it with you lately?
posting invisible pics
and spamming threads with busted links...
we need to tawk!
Pappy Hagglers-10am Saturday
be there!

decoupage.....

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-08-07 09:18 ]

B

On 2009-08-07 08:57, kirby wrote:
Im pleased to announce that "wanna-be-a-lono"will be joining the family as well..What an honor to have my stuff in the same room with all these great artist.. Thanks hodad!!

SWEET KIRBZY! cant wait to see him in person!!!

MR

I stopped by the other day to check out the show and make sure all my crap was properly priced very low. Really great stuff going on there. The sculpts on display are amazing! Toe, of course, put up some fantastic pieces. All the work I got to check out left me feeling excited and strangely inferior. Keep that gallery action going Hank! You're turning lemons into lemonade!
Peace with every step.

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 4:20 PM

This is on the walking tour, but the bus will NOT take you there...

If you're attending this year's "TIKI OASIS 9" and planning to hop aboard our fun "Open Air Double Decker Bus Shuttle," we're looking forward to seeing you!

If you haven't signed up yet, don't forget to make it happen! The shuttle always fills up so signing up beforehand is highly recommended.
To sign up, email us at [email protected] and let us know how many people are in your party and if you prefer a specific shuttle time from Crowne Plaza to Bali Hai. We'll then send you a PayPal invoice.

And if you haven't heard - here are a couple more incentives on why you should sign up for the funny looking double decker bus:

-Screamin' TIKI Beach Walking Tour, Fri Aug 14: Due to popular demand by all you Hodads and Surf Betties & Bunnies...
"Where You Want To Be Tours" is adding a special TIKI Beach Walking Tour featuring "FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY'S TIKI ISLAND 3 SHOW" in Mission Beach and several nearby hidden gems NOT featured in your Tiki Guidebooks!

Here's the deal - if you buy tickets NOW for our August 13th Shuttle Bus, you can join us on the 8/14 Walking Tour FOR FREE! The tour will kick off at 11am in Mission Beach and it's an EASY, LEISURELY WALK that'll run for approx 90 minutes. When you sign up for the bus, let us know if you're interested in the walk and we'll send you directions on where to meet, as well as directions to the Legendary Tiki Shack at Windansea Beach!

If you don't sign up for the bus, the cost of the walking tour is $10.

-Free Mai Tai anyone? The first 30 people who sign up for our 4:30pm shuttle will receive a FREE MAI TAI at THE PEARL HOTEL near Shelter Island. We still have a few more slots but they're going fast! Dinner specials will also be offered. Check out this cool boutique hotel at http://www.thepearlsd.com

Ltd Edition Mugs & MORE!

Ltd Editions by Squid & Gecko

[ Edited by: squid 2009-08-07 18:45 ]

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 4:40 PM

Pappy, I don't think these folks are driving anyone to the Gallery? I think they are saying to just show up over to HoDaddy's, and they will show you how to open the front door?

Hope I'm wrong in how I read the above?...

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 6:20 PM

Dangit, you're right Babalu. I'm not so "on it" today...

Benzart beautiful faux jade maori warrior is one of the largest he's ever made (dig the penny) and boasts a genuine American Alligator Tooth clasp detailed with maori fern patterns. More Ben Davis work is on it's way!

The minature Paipo outrigger has landed.....

Paipo's Stone kava kava man features beachcombed Rapa nuian obsidian pupils and bone eyes. A stylized war club forms his nose and brow with Orongo rongo birdmen joined at the beak continuing onto the back.

These two smaller stone cpendants are exquisite with one including SILVER eyes.

Paipo resin casts detailed with gem and shell inlays.

I've just learned that Mark Swanson's playful images from Hawaii are on their way. Cross your fingers it gets here before Oasis.

AND

more MUNTIKI MUNKTIKI MUNKTIKI!!!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 8:58 PM

some more pics of my work....

#66 - Baby Buma

As the name implies, just a wee fella at about 1 1/2" long, and the eyes are inlaid silver.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 9:00 PM

#63 - Fisherman's God

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 9:08 PM
  • #71 - Tohunga*

H

Thanks Paipz!

I wish you were here to photograph all the art!

Your art looks great in the gallery and is getting alot of attention. We're proud to host your first stateside exhibition!

A cute brunette... Oh, and some art too.

Johnny grabs a Paipo Tangaroa!

The First Babalu Yipwan drum mug available anywhere in the freaking world. From a very limited series. He's gonna shoot the mold out of a cannon. Be the first on your planet to own one.

Sorry Nick. That one of a kind Rick Rietveld sideshow banner is on loan from the private collection of Mr Hodad Hankelson.

Oooh. MUNKTIKI Fugu double volcano bowl! more Munk this week!

Boars tusk and bone jewelry hemped-up by Pakolololita.

4WDTIKI makes a distinctive marq.

ETR with his large tapa based carving "GREAT BIG LITTLE BIG RED"

A couple contemplate a Kinny Ruzic original.

Hip and afordable, a jewel eyed Paipo Crying Ku resin.

Gallery visitors bathe in the familiar loving slack of Tiki Bob Dobbs.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-08 21:31 ]

H

Ben is not likely to make another pendant of this material or size considering the great amount of work involved. We are pleased to offer it at the traditional Benzart high value to low cost imbalance. Mahalo Ben.

"...the Maori gleams so because he has received More Hand sanding and polishing than Any Benzart jade to date. Also I spent More time on this guy than I should have. Paipo must have been looking over my shoulder giving me the correct lessons, Thanks Paipo. :)

Here is the FINAL result of way too much time spent on this guy. All day yesterday was used teasing this guy, and cleaning everywhere. Just Crazy and just watch me do it again,,,NOT!"

wow! i am blown away. so much amazing tiki art in one gallery. i'll be cruising in thurs to see it all up close.

those Paipos and Benzies
are EYE-POPPIN!!!!
to quoth a leprechaun friend
THEY'RE MAGICALLY DELICIOUS!

cannot wait to see the complete show at Oasis!!!

could i make a deposit on that brunette?
:)

On 2009-08-09 09:08, little lost tiki wrote:
could i make a deposit on that brunette?
:)

ooooo....that didn't sound right...
oopsie.

H
Heath posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 2:06 PM

I stopped by last week to see Hank and the artwork*(mainly to see the art, but shhh don't tell Hank)*.
All I can say is HOLY SHNIKIES!!!
The carvings, the casts, the pendants, the mugs and the paintings.
All awe-inspiring. The pictures that have been posted really don't do justice to the art, you need to see them in person to really appreciate the work that went into these.
BigToe's paintings and the way the light plays with the paints...
little lost tiki's zippfizz induced madness...
Benzart's, Paipo's, Mieko's and Bowana's attention to detail...
Squid's and Babalu's clay shaping abilities...
All the carvers and their chopping skills...
Great job Hank, great job on a great show!
Thanks for putting it together, hopefully it'll remain as an evolving gallery with new works coming in as pieces are sold.

Mahalo Heath! These works must be experienced to be appreciated to their fullest potential.

Sweet Tohunga, we hardly knew you.

• #71 - Tohunga* has SOLD to an anonymous collector.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-10 19:23 ]

After an unprecedented visit by not one but TWO Menkins I have been assured an actual Wheretour (which sadly has precious little to do with werewolves) will finally be stopping at my little old shop.

We've been talking about a stop here for years. I even had lapulapus and snackies ready for the gaggle of promised "wheretourists" we all expected one year. We excitedly borrowed a booze dispenser from Onatiki & Moki for that one, but the bus must have zoomed directly to Partysupplyland instead... so I've taken everything a single Menkin says with a grain of salt since, much like a thimble sized margarita.

I'd begun to think these magical busses were actually fanciful tales to keep children on their toes like the legend of the Chupacabra or the Sasquach, but a promise from TWO MENKINS??? Unheard of. I'm gonna have to take that as gospel and trust Lucy hold that football for me one more time.

(Of course this tour doesn't involve a bus at all.)

However you get to FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY the artwork is well worth the effort. Some of your favorite artists are on hand (well their work at least) and we're very proud to be hosting the American gallery debut of PAIPO! Carpool hitchhike or taxi to the Wheretour special meeting place and the Menkin's will lead you from there. You might even pass HodadHank's hidden Mint Marq or Guava Beach's Mellow Moai on your adventure...

While in Historic Mission Beach, since you don't have to race back to a waiting bus, you might want to enjoy a ride on the historic Giant Dipper roller coaster ar take a giant dip in the historic Pacific Ocean.

Mahalo Menkins and wheretours for finally putting us on the map... uh there is a map isn't there? Just in case here's one from map quest... We're only about ten minutes away from the Hanalei.(unless you're hitchhiking).
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=San+Diego&1s=CA&1a=2270+Hotel+Circle+North&1z=92108&2c=San+Diego&2s=CA&2a=3742+Mission+Blvd&2z=92109

i wanna take a dip in the Historic pacific Ocean!
:lol:

I'm coming over on Friday! If anyone wants a ride, send me a pm and we'll convo with the details. I've got room for 4 more. I might even want a ride on that roller coaster! I love roller coasters! We've got the Pacific Ocean where I come from, so I'll prolly pass on that one. :lol:

Awesome Hank!
Can't wait to see it in person.
Congrats!

LT

Hank - how late is the gallery open during the week?

It is usually open until 6pm depending on foot traffic up and down Mission Blvd.

Just in case, here is map that shows a large parking lot on Santa Clara Point. It is just a 2 or 3 minute stroll from the lot to the gallery.

Can you keep it open til 9-10 fer the oasis folks?

The Oasis show skedj may kinda trump a late evening at the gallery.

dern!
Well, Squid and I are gonna try our dingdangdoggiest to get out there sometime during the weekend!

On 2009-08-11 12:30, little lost tiki wrote:
Can you keep it open til 9-10 fer the oasis folks?

I'm gonna do my ding dang darniest to keep it open late Thursday and Friday. Me and Charlie might be in our PJs.

Yesterday Mo-Eye and family can in for their private showing. :) They eyed the three pieces they would like to take home Monday. Git it? Eyed?

EYE-YI-YI!

YES!

FBG will be staying open till 9:30 Thursday night for all you Oasis BALI HAI adventurers.

Twist, Jerk, Monkey, Pony or Swim on by and enjoy Hodaddy and
rockin' surfer bettie Charlie guzzling coffee and selling you
beautiful art in their pajamas!

(Warning: the Hodaddy sleeps alfresco, which also used to be his
radio name, "AL Fresco comin at ya with a rock block by a little
band called... Led Zeppelin." etc)

If you haven't visited the Freaky Boutiki Gallery yet, tonights
the night to zoom in and oogle the congress of wonders assembled
there in and score some sweet one of a kind art by your favorite
artists including...

Paipo
Mark Swanson
Benzart
Drew Brophy
Squid
Vin Man
Mieko
Babalu
Munktiki
Atomikitty
Headhunter
Bosko
Kinny ruzic
Erik The red
Bowana
Big Toe
Wahine Toni
4WDTIKI
HodadHank
Tiki Omar
Reesenik
Bob Ho
Paisley
Jonpaul Balak
Heather Watts
Basement Kahuna
Johnny P
Harvey Mendiola
Heath
Pakalololita
GoTiki
Rodney Adcox
OnaTiki
&
more

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-13 09:02 ]

Happy patrons score a Paklololita boars tusk pendant.

ETR's latest chicatang

She's irresistable!

OnaTiki takes a Squid masterpiece for a test drive

Augie approves

Bullet grabs a Munk Mermaid

Goldielocks loves her new Mieko Ku and Bowana Toungebaby

Bye bye Bunny

Gecko digging a Vin Man street deck

The Kirbuggy

(L to R) Hodad Hank, Kirby, Gecko, Jim Bacchi, Erik the Red

Tiki Island 3 continues...

Wow! It's SneakyJack all the way from NYC! Nice to finally meet you in person bro!

Hey Yakuza Mike, is that a hand blown Moai Sake Bottle or are you just happy to see me? Didn't choose to take this set home but scored a bitchin Kinny Ruzic original! These kind of tough choices are fun!

Rantiki & Lynn Mctiki with their new 1/1 hand sculpted Babalu Maori Souvenir Head mug, a golden eyed MUNKTIKI breathtaker and what the??!!... is that a little Hodaddy Tangaroa pendant??? Aww shucks... Mahalo! What a haul!

Stephen & Elizabeth prove timing is everything as they score one of two startling new MUNKTIKI trasure chest scorpion bowls moments after hand delivery by Stuckie himself! Wow! Only one left @ Freaky Boutiki Gallery and that means it's coming to Oasis Saturday morning!

Hodaddy: "What the heck??!! I thought all the Skull Fink Nekos were sold out."
Stuckie: "You're right but this is more than just the very last Skull Fink Neko available. It's the ONLY Skull Fink Neko with MAGNETIZED INTERCHANGABLE EYES ever made!"
To Cool! Check him out at the MUNKTIKI tent Saturday before he's gone forever.

That's Paipo on the left. He couldn't make the 6502.88 mile trip to Oasis this year but still managed to send along a batch of his highly prized stone and resin tiki pendants. You could score his cool art from Freaky Boutiki tent at Oasis this Saturday or you could, like... contact him in New Zealand and get on the looooooonnnnnnnnggggg waiting list. He tells me he won't be doing resins again for quite a while.
No pressure or anything.

Whew Oasis was a blast!

It was so great seeing so many of you at the MUNKTIKI/FREAKY BOUTIKI BOOTH.

Many of you were happy to discover the special free gift intended to be given to the first 50 customers was a signed and numbered pen & ink by HodadHank (me) of Freaky Boutiki's resident heartthrob, carver and hula honey Wahine Toni, also signed and autographed by Toni herself! (oh... and printed by the very exclusive San Diego printer Monsieur Staples)

I hope this cute pinup might end up in frames on the walls of your homebars, if you find it worthy. Of course we were unprepared for the swarm of attendees rushing see the new Munktikis and Paipos and the tiny box of prints was quickly mislaid...

so, all those still in San Diego planning a visit to FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY to take in Tiki Magazine's TIKI ISLAND 3 ART SHOW on their way home will receive whatever remains of the numbered prints with a purchase from the gallery until they are gone.

Mahalo for supporting our tiki arts community at Oasis at and FREAKY BOUTIKI GALLERY. -Hodaddy

HT

Thank you HO DAD HANK, your new gallery is a place where Tiki Artist can display there new work and come to a place where it is for sale. i enjoyed coming to your gallery and viewing the excellent work of the Tiki Artist. At Tiki Oasis a large number of Tiki venders were looking forward to putting art work in your gallery. It is a great idea to put pictures of your gallery on Tiki Central. Also thanks for additional help on line and on the phone.

D

Glad I had a chance to stop by the gallery and store before heading out! Fabulous space and show - THANKS for the print!

yeah I almost forgot and just about as I was gonna pass the exit off the 5, I remembered and swung by, and ended up hanging out for over an hour,
and actually bought some art.
(shocker, I know)

great place Hank,
Kudos man,

Jeff(btd)

we went down over the week end. Make the time to check it out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies