Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki oasis 2009 POST Pics here

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies

B

Pappy and Junior being wee-tawds.

Fab Tiki carvers 4WD and Tiki Flyboy.

Babalu who sold all of his mugs, then BAILED!

NorCal's own mp. Did you steal that lobster from Von's?

Babalu handing the Tiki Bunny over to it's very happy new owner.

Well, at least Billy has his pants on again.

The Tiki Hana Boys, Bob and Ray.
Hmm...are those your REAL names?

Bryan Moore and the lovely Heather Sinz with some sort of mug.

The Kirby Bugger.

Man, who's sweet '59 Caddy is that?

Dawn Frazier. Nice to meet 'cha!

Dani, 1/2 of Go-Tiki Ceramics.
Hey, where's Go-Go? Did he have to go-go?

Maddogmike and Buzzy discussing how they are going to ruin Oasis.

October, Eric October.
MR. October to you!

Crazy Al and Hodadhank representin' The Freaky Boutiki.
Y'all get down to Mission Beach to see the show!

Buzzy, did you carve Micheal Jackson?

Looking forward to next year!

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ Edited by: Bowana 2009-08-17 21:40 ]

:tiki: Here are some pics from Saturday night :tiki:

The Devil-ettes doing their thing...

Tana the Tattooed Lady

Crazy Al, Wes & Pal

More Crazy Al & Wes

Lance & Nancy

AJ, Nancy, Vicki & Lance

Hi to all the Cool Cats we chatted up and hung with Stacy,Doug,Heather,Thor,Holden,Jason, Big Al,Wes&Pua
Did not run into Ben there but heard some action went down, I need details?

must sleep now........

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-08-17 23:35 ]

Managed to get a few pics.

Here ya go. Good times !

The Huntington Cads ! amazing !

Jeff Utterback aka Don Brewski - WHOO !

Cads rockin' out (with that famous guy)

Me and my old pal Don Brewski.

Blue Hawaiians....my favorite surf band, hands down.

Crazy Al living up to his name with the Blue Hawaiians

Legend of Steel Guitar...Gary Brandin...Yes, I'm lucky enough to have this guy in my band !

Rock n Roll !

This picture needs no explanation.

Here's my collection of pictures: mostly cars and stuff, but some people! If you see your mug in there, feel free to tag yourself and add me! I'm trying to expand the number of tikiphiles I keep meeting at these things...but I don't know any of your real names...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2132695&id=10807610&ref=mf

"Any time, any place, adventure always awaits. Remember that and you'll never be without...uhh...adventure.

[ Edited by: Easter Island Elvis 2009-08-18 01:14 ]

On 2009-08-18 00:46, Easter Island Elvis wrote:
Here's my collection of pictures: mostly cars and stuff, but some people! If you see your mug in there, feel free to tag yourself and add me! I'm trying to expand the number of tikiphiles I keep meeting at these things...but I don't know any of your real names...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=2132695&id=10807610&ref=mf

facebook says:
You must log in to see this page.
:(

OK, with Ravenne's help, I think I got it fixed. Here's the NEW link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2132695&id=10807610&ref=mf

If that doesn't work...well, you'll just have to use your imaginations.

P.S. It was great to meet all of you and drink with all of you! Hope to see you all soon at the next tiki event!

-Matt

sorry still no dice,
guess its a facebook world now,
and if you don't join facebook.

well, guess I'm out in the cold.

thanks for trying.

Jeff(btd)

JT

Had a blast at TO9!!!!
Here are some pics.
I'll start with a Bunch of "B's".....

Bill, 4WDtiki

Billy, and his Misfits pose

Buzzy, Butterfield, Bowana

Babalu

both next door

Bass-Man, Tony of The Martini Kings

It was a delight to to see old friends and finally get to meet some of you for the first time in person, MP for example. Good talking to you Brother!
-Johnny B.

not sure if my pics are too different injoy..
in no particular order -

sunday wind down extra booze no problem - shaker face Martin!

you may see one in there twice - its nice!
And yes I have hundreds more..
pm me if you need copies for blackmail or other reasons!

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2009-08-18 18:46 ]

C

Here are some selected shots from the Ding Dong Devils Friday crawl:

Rama Lama mixing up a fresh batch...

...Vixiana does a taste test....

...and the fun and frolic begins:

There are more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82303794@N00/sets/72157622071191556/

C

On 2009-08-18 08:19, sneakyjack wrote:
not sure if my pics are too different injoy..
in no particular order -

And yes I have hundreds more.. I may post some from Sunday eves hang too!

This one looks like our Saturday night room party. If you took any other shots Sneakyjack, I'd love to see them (we didn't get any photos of the room that night, until afterward).

Here is from the aftermath of that party --

Our intrepid hosts/bartenders Rita and Vixiana (Chris):

A closer shot of Vix's hair fez:

The Ding Dong Devils Puka von Pele (Rozan), Rama Lama (Edwin), Nepheria (Julia) and Caltiki (Brent)

Here is the link to the photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41589797@N02/sets/72157622074844478/

C

Lastly, the "hangover set" at the car show on Sunday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41589797@N02/sets/72157621950333701/

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 1:01 PM

Here is a random sampling of pics I took this weekend. Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who helped make this an enjoyable long weekend. Aloha!

K

My wife Tanya and I had a BLAST at our first Oasis. Can't wait for next year already. I wish we'd taken a lot more pictures, but here's a few:

Meredith from the Office!

Angel, Dano, Mondo, and Tanya

Notch's amazing bowl seein' some serious action.

Braddahs????

Thanks so much for all the fun!!

Tanya and Woody

C

Thanks for another fab Oasis. Danced, drank, toked, joked, munched, splurged, volunteered, poured, swam, laughed, cried...FRIED! Stoked I got in the PJ Party and of course the Martini King's Limoncello Lounge was the bomb! Thanks to my homeboy Tony...you are a doll for hooking us up. Loved the Pin Up Hair & Makeup Class and had a ball learning how to do the Stinky Mouse and Octopus at the Go Go Class! Got into TO free cuz I poured a ton of rum for the Rum & Chocolate seminar so you can't beat that! Thanks also to nice folks at Smugglers Cove...glad you didn't burn down the hotel with that flaming flow! Sending a shout out to my Wrecking Crew Bitches of Room 1427! Sorry I snored!

Saw a lot of bands from my balcony! Woo Hooooooo!

[ Edited by: 2009-08-18 15:48 ]

[ Edited by: CaliTiki 2009-08-19 09:40 ]

[ Edited by: CaliTiki 2009-08-19 09:42 ]

MT

And yes I have hundreds more.. I may post some from Sunday eves hang too!

I asked that shaved ice snow cone if it hurt when it fell from heaven. :)

More fun than the Wonka elevator

The band rockin in the elevator. Really enjoyed the Dick Dale, thanks guys!

The Crawl....

Kahuna Kent & Professor Voodoo Von Tiki. The Zombie Beach Brain Freeze color matched the mug, that's going the extra mile

Tiki Magazine. Total class act. Way yummy Jell-o. Met some very cool peeps in your room.
Kari thank you SO much again for the MC pass it was a highlight of TO9 for me

Iniquitiki. Loved the thunder. Great idea with the sick sacks (unfortunately a bad portent of things to come for some in my party) As for the Buffalo Sweat uhhh...not so much

Zen Tiki Lounge. Taken from their balcony. My fav room drink. Thanks guys

Rumshaker w/ Thee Swank Bastards & Ms Szandora. Huh..I didn't see a band....haha, you Bastards rocked!

The Portland Crew had a blast! More pics here... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=98772&id=587027366&l=4fa35c23c8

Getting ready to fly to San Diego

Sean, Tena, Dan, Deb and I

Waiting to get into the Limoncello Lounge... Top notch party the food/limoncello/music/shot glass/people were amazing!

Ray and his mugs!

Ken, Big Toe, Dannelle and Jason

Marie, Dan and Debbie at the Pajama Party

I need some of these!

We met El Roy (the duck) in a thrift store this summer. We could tell he was one cool duck because he was hanging with a couple of tiki mugs - they were having a "shelf crawl" so to speak. We couldn't break up the party so we brought everyone home and they all got to know each other over a scorpion bowl. El Roy (the duck) has fit in so well and been so well behaved (hasn't broken a single mug) that we decided to bring him along to Tiki O. We had such a great time and would especially like to thank everyone for making El Roy's first TO so enjoyable and memorable.

Feel free to add your own captions....

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2009-08-18 21:10 ]

Although he denied it.....the Michael Jackson tiki was obviously
Buzzy's work. I have been advised that it is being followed up with
tribute tikis of Farrah Fawcett, Billy Mays and Norman Fell.....Buzzy
calls this his "gone but not forgotten" tiki collection.
That Buzzy has the heart of a poet.

Love ya' Buzzy

Ray

[ Edited by: Kicking Tiki 2009-08-18 19:22 ]

GREAT weekend! Great people! Can't wait for next year!
Here are some pics I posted on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=93489&id=1063311667&l=48784d6ca2

S
squid posted on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 9:58 PM

On 2009-08-18 19:45, MarvinTheMonkey wrote:

YAY! Marvin's on TC!!!!!

The rest of my photos can (hopefully) be viewed here-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30881&id=1478455478&l=4df456685a

BEST OASIS PIC EVER!

I second that hodahank!

On 2009-08-17 20:48, OnlyATikiLad wrote:
Cool balloon art

Thanks for posting this pic of the Balloons!!! I forgot to take one from behind!! I had a blast and will see you guys next year!!!
If you ever want to vist the Magic Castle in Hollywood please drop me a line.
FunnyEddie

Just posting a few of my favorites.
You can see the whole album at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133322&id=529093071&l=93c88dc1ea

Had such a wonderful time at our first TIKI O!!!!

I love the pics with the rubber duckie. Cool idea. Makes me wish I had thought of that.

[ Edited by: Professor Voodoo Von Tiki 2009-12-21 16:53 ]

Thanks Mambo King! Yeah, that El Roy is one cool duck. He gets quite a bit of action too!

It's 5am in the morn here and these pic's have made my day already,looks like everyone
had a rad time.Hopefully one day I;ll be there!Cheers Watango

SUPER fun time at Tiki Oasis!! I can't believe the last time I had gone to it was back when it was in Palm Springs... I've totally been blowing it!!
Here are some pretty cool videos of The Hula Girls playing at the car show... Thanks to Otto and to everyone who hung out and watched up play!

Curse of the Tiki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyi_NRamgBc

Leilani
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLu_tx90DQ

Volcano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqR40d4E34E

Enjoy the vids, and I'll see you all again next year...FOR SURE.

T

Just posted some of my pictures on my kodak gallery....this link should work. We took a lot more video than still shots so once I go through some of the tape I will get some video up.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=v8o5ses.75xde31w&x=0&y=fwbxp8&localeid=en_US&cm_mmc=site_email-_-site_share-_-core-_-view_photos_album

Sorry I don't know everyone's name -- let me know and I will add them or fix them if I got anyone wrong :)

[ Edited by: tikimary 2009-08-19 15:59 ]

On 2009-08-18 21:58, squid wrote:

On 2009-08-18 19:45, MarvinTheMonkey wrote:

YAY! Marvin's on TC!!!!!

Thanks, Pappy!!

[ Edited by: MarvinTheMonkey 2009-08-19 20:08 ]

P

who carved the squirrel?

ask me how you can help change the world!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2009-08-19 18:05 ]

On 2009-08-18 13:01, TikiG wrote:

3 ceramic GODS under 1 roof

S
squid posted on Wed, Aug 19, 2009 5:53 PM

On 2009-08-19 17:49, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2009-08-18 13:01, TikiG wrote:

3 ceramic GODS under 1 roof

But only one tastefully attired...

Hello there. I was the guy with the teddy bear ears. I drove down from Anaheim to help out at check-in, getting there just in time -- I was the Mug Kahuna for the evening, working alongside Charlie from "House of Tiki" and Pua (not shown) -- and after that I mostly spent the rest of the weekend taking pictures.

I took pictures of Hukilau Brown and Babydoe there in the lobby.

Like Chris "Colonel" Sanders and Chao Sanders, I walked into the Limoncello Lounge Friday night and was handed a little black tiki shotglass with limoncello over crushed ice.

And immediately recognized the opening strains when the Martini Kings started playing "Baby Elephant Walk," right there in the party room.

That party, and the Frankie's Tiki Room party upstairs, were standing-room-only. Both parties had people at the doors to let in more people from the long lines outside only when a matching number of tiki fans left. I did my part and moved on.

I met bartenders Kitty Cat and Scarlett Letter at the Pele Utu party. I got a "Blood of zombie tiki priestess queen" or something like that.

As Tiki Todd can vouch for, each drink came with a leechee nut/blueberry eyeball as garnish.

Everything's better in a tiki mug. Or with an umbrella in it. Or both. The cool thing to do is to have a tiki mug -- I bought a lovely volcano mug last year -- but this time I decided I wanted to go through "cool" and out the other side, beyond cool. Since I had the bear ears, and someone had given me a bear mug which holds one standard drink, I brought that. You can see it's rather modest and unassuming, next to the zombie mug someone bought last year.

At the check-in desk, I had heard Otto Von Stroheim's name mentioned all evening. (One way to get someone out of your hair for the rest of the night is to tell them they need to go get a note from Otto...) I was starting to wonder if "I'm a friend of Otto" was sort of the opposite of "I'm a friend of Bill W." and whether Otto actually existed and if he was still in town, or if he'd chucked all the tiki stuff and gone to Jamaica for some rum and reggae. Jay Marshak was looking for Otto, too, though, and he found him after midnight up in the same party I was at.

People were making music in the Pele Utu party, next to the volcano. There were a few other parties that night, too. Not a lot -- I missed the afternoon room crawl (I was still on the freeway) -- but as it happens, I think I drank more on Friday night than I had in the previous eight months put together. (And that's including Christmas and New Year's.)

As I headed down the elevator to mosey back to my little motel room, I met Stuart Johnson who clearly was a Martini Kings fan who wasn't done for the night. I was.

Do you guys want more annotated photos like this? Or should I just tell you where to find all my photos?

RR

On 2009-08-19 18:08, Hazel Chaz wrote:

People were making music in the Pele Utu party, next to the volcano. There were a few other parties that night, too. Not a lot -- I missed the afternoon room crawl (I was still on the freeway) -- but as it happens, I think I drank more on Friday night than I had in the previous eight months put together. (And that's including Christmas and New Year's.)

There was a band in my room?

TK

Here is a Pic of this years Trophies. The categories were:
Big Kahuna (Best costume male)
Wicked Wahine (Best costume female)
Lil' Gremmie (Best costume child)
Most Awesome couple (best dressed couple)
Primo Party Pad (Best party room)
Swinging Surf Shack (best decorated booth)

Plus there were two special unanounced trophies for the "Maximum MC" , and "Hosts with the most"
which went to King Kukulele and Otto and Baby Doe.
Here is a close up of the Mug, which was in fact a tribute to King Kukulele.

Cheers!
Tiki King

Thanks everyone for adding comments.

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2009-08-19 19:40 ]

On 2009-08-19 17:42, pdrake wrote:
who carved the squirrel?

And who put him in a Hawaiian shirt and blond hair?

On 2009-08-19 11:33, spycygrl wrote:
Just posting a few of my favorites.

Had such a wonderful time at our first TIKI O!!!!

No way that was Spike! His hair ain't that color. Unless of course.....

I just "spamed" his truck with the Tiki Island III flyer yesterday. He lives 1.9 minutes from my favorite coffee shop.

I gotta get my blurry pics out of the Canon.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-08-19 19:42 ]

T

I know most people are posting people pictures, but we didn't really take many, so I thought people might be interested in what we brought! Aloha and mahalo to you all!

This tiki was trying to take a sip from my Volcano Island Bowl

Here's the table spread for all you who couldn't make it to the BEST Tiki show on the West Coast!

My Wife Alene is making these Mid Century inspired fish, she calls them "Modern Tropical" and she'll have a website for them soon! Thanks to Mrs. Bongofury for the awesome tropical collection that inspired a lot of these!

King Kukulele talking with Pierre Riviera, the famous French Explorer!

At the top is Pierre Riviera, the famous explorer.

HipHipaHula walked home with this black velvet above.

Lake Tiki and me discussing the ins and outs of surfing lakes versus oceans.

This Velvet is available at HoDad Hanks Freaky Boutiki for Tiki Island

Alan and Michael, who's TIki Bar is featured in the latest Tiki Magazine eating breakfast Sunday Morning.

More of Alene's Modern Tropical Ocean

To see more of Alene's Modern Tropical Ocean: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27260473@N08/sets/72157621961656307/

A big thanks to everyone who supported the beachcomber shack again, and to all the new and old friends who came by to talk, Tiki Oasis is truly a magical experience. Thank You Otto and Baby Doe and all the volunteers, workers, bands, entertainers and attendees for making it the best event!

Tony,
your vending shack looked absolutely amazing.

Jeff(btd)

Aloha Tony!

Your wares look fabulous! Thank you so much for posting your fantastic photos. I am so glad that I finally got to see Alene's gorgeous fish!

xo
gemma

A

Thanks again this year Otto and Babydoe, we had a blast! We could figure out how to make it work with a 4 year old and a 4 month old over the weekend, without any problems with lines or anything. If we can bring the kids and still have a relaxed fun time, anyone oughta be able to. The only time I saw some people getting bent out of shape was a bunch who were expecting the vip treatment at the pajama party (which they got, but they were all fussy that it took a while). Anyway, Oasis has gotten so big, with so much going on, that different people have entirely different weekends. For us the big attraction was the music this time (hence the ridiculous abundance of band pictures following below). It's what you make of it, and there's a lot to make. My biggest regret this time, as usual, is not having enough time to talk to old friends, as it always feels like we're rushing off to the next thing (or for us this time, rushing back to change a diaper).

Monsieur Bali Hai

Trader Mort's

The Huntington Cads were a super highlight for us, especially my daughter who knows their songs backwards and forwards. She's also a King Kuk fan like the girl below, but aren't we all?

Martin's rum symposium was entertaining, informative, engaging, and intoxicating! I can't think of any other "conference seminar" where I've sat down to 8 shots of rum. I think I'll put that in the suggestion box next time I go to a conference for work.

The video of how to make a mai tai "right"

Speaking of rum, there were a lot of opportunities to sample some great rum over the weekend. I've got to say the low point was the Tommy Bahama rum sampler in the gift bag - that tasted awful! Here's a couple of rum parties, I mean room parties, on Sat afternoon.

Ding Dong Devils room, with the Devilettes

Thee Swank Bastards were busy this weekend

The Phantom Surfers were the essence of entertainment on Sat night! Wow! Wow! What could be more fun than seeing Johnny Bartlett play with the boys again!?

King Kuk and his pineapple princess (and is that mic taped to his face?)

Pajama party with Tikiyaki and Smuggler's Cove. Thank you hosts, musicians, and bartender!

My dj time on Sun am

One more look at the Steven Crane tiki

Time to go home. Bye, tiki!

-Randy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies