whoa. very cool!

Yay, Death rules!!!

Jeff(btd)

Ula!
Clysdalle!
:)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 9:30 AM

So, isn't getting the guy who draws skeletons and death all the time for Dia de los Muertes like typecasting or something?

Good job Clyde.

On 2009-10-16 09:30, GROG wrote:
...isn't getting the guy who draws skeletons and death all the time for Dia de los Muertes like typecasting or something?

Typecasting, shmipecasting. That hasn't stopped Leonard Nemoy from laughing all the way to the bank... Great work Dave.

Hey Groggy you're pals w/ Crazy Al. Please sober him up and ask him if he's started his card yet. I am very pleased with all the work I have seen so far and have received excited phone calls and PM's from Heather Watts, Bowana, Doug Horne, Erin Joy and Atomikitty so things are shaping up nicely.

Yes works will be available for sale but must remain in the FBG's possession for the duration of the show to ensure all opportunity to be professionally photographed for a possible future TIKOT! visions from the Tiki Tarot DECK... This of course requires another fifty six artworks by fifty six additional international artists so a project of such diversity and scope will take a great deal of hard work and clever organization. I am glad there is growing interest in such a unique offering.

Now I've got to decide on what sort of grub to serve at the reception. Hmmmm. Since it's on Halloween Saturday October 31 mini Snickers bars, candy corn and caramel apples come to mind, although my friend Charlie has a special recipe for mummy dogs. MMmmm... mummy dogs. Please arrive in costume or masked.

(WARNING: Any adult males arriving dressed as a half-naked giant baby in a diaper just to show off their muscles will be denied admittance).

B

Nice job D-Lo!!!

i am scratching out my Fool Tikot and replacing it with a provocatively posed ernie in a diaper! one word: SEXY!!

if anyone wants to see what i WAS bringing down, here it is. gone to framers, "Ke Hupo":

Clysdalle, that would be great as one of those velvet flocked posters you paint with markers :D

Great work all!!!

On 2009-10-16 21:27, BigToe wrote:
...here it is. gone to framers, "Ke Hupo":

That's a beauty Toe...

I have also replaced my original Hermit entry with something i found in my washroom after the Lagoon Chop. Signs and wonders...

S

Final picture of the Wheel of Fortune.
My scanner is sub par, so the colors are not as dingy in reality.

All the art for the show is lookin' great!

Such a great collection from everyone. I didn't have the vision to see how this project would work out but you guys have pulled it off great! :thumbs up:

On 2009-10-18 17:36, slgrice wrote:
Final picture of the Wheel of Fortune.
My scanner is sub par, so the colors are not as dingy in reality.

All the art for the show is lookin' great!

Thanks Steve! Sharks! Octopi! Menehune! Tiki puppets! Cannibal Masks! Roasted Flying Pigs! Yahoooo!! This looks great! I jacked the following explaination of your symbolism in this piece from your Blog SWEETLY GROTESQUE...

*On 2009-10-18 17:36, slgrice wrote:*Referring to The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien the Wheel of Fortune is a card of "universal abundance, prosperity and expansion."

I replaced the Sphinx (objectivity), the Monkey (flexibility) and the Crocodile (creative power) with the Pueo (owl), Tako (octopus) and Mano (the shark.) These are the qualities the person in question will need to achieve prosperity.

The flying pig has been caught, cooked and ready on the table of leaves as a symbol of abundance. Lady fate stands poised for the spinning of the wheel, but even one step removed from outcome herself as her little puppet deity has his hand on the lever.

Get this puppy in the mail to

Freaky Boutiki Gallery
3742 Mission Blvd
San Diego CA

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-10-19 13:21 ]

My submission for the show.

"Ka Mahina"

The Moon
Two large, foreboding pillars are shown. Some see them as tombstones, others relate them to Karma. A wolf and a domesticated dog howl at the moon. A crayfish appears in the water. Following the star the Fool travels through the night. The full Moon rises, illuminating for him a watery path.

Dang Steve!
Dang Doug!

Wowza! Wowza! Wowza!

awesome friggin shew...
and still the hits keep coming...

Doug, that is pretty awesome and still in keeping with the original idea of the card.

B

killer doug!!!!!

Top notch Doug!!! I'm purposely not going to look at it again till the box arrives so my mind can be freshly blown.

I must say I'm really pleased that so many of you actually took the time to investigate the symbolism and meanings behind the cards instead of just taking wild stabs in the dark. Mahalo nui loa to all. Take note of these thoughtful artists who dug deep to produce successful work outside their comfort zone... In the hands of a such creative souls, Tiki knows no boundries. :)

Rock on kids! Everything looks great!

Just finishing my sketch up tonight & breaking out the velvet tomorrow. My card "Temperance" has inspired a mythological wahine. Pics soon (well, not TOO soon... but soon enough!) Wish I could make the show, but I'm looking forward to seeing photos posted!

Heather

U

Here's where I am with my piece. I need to punch up the colors a lot more, refine some details, and add in the text.
The High Priestess:

[ Edited by: ulafish 2009-10-20 16:43 ]

B

Ula...you are one HOT fish!! Your painting is "MOST" Awesome! Take good pictures kiddo, this one is going to fly out the door...Bravo.

Hank, I'm firing up the kiln tonight...

This show is going to be one to remember...the edge cuts deep - right here, Halloween night!

On 2009-09-28 19:18, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
AAAAARRRGGGhhhhhghghhghghrhrhrhrhrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that is how it is spelled. AAAAARRRGGGhhhhhghghhghghrhrhrhrhrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAARRRGGGhhhhhghghhghghrhrhrhrhrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

you missed an "r"...

On 2009-10-20 16:40, ulafish wrote:
The High Priestess:

Stunningly gorgeous!

B

Ulafish, ur amazing!!!!
how fun it has been to watch ur process!!!
MAhalos for posting!

L

Really enjoying this whole concept.

Wish I could see the show in person so big thanks for all the pic posting guys (and gals) :)

Ulafish is truely a girl wonder and she's still quite young so you can imagine she's only going to get better and better!!! I just new she was going to make some jaws drop.

I just recieved Doug Horne's contribution The Moon BE Boiling's Justice and SL Grice's Wheel... They are amazing to see in person!

Eric the Red's World Tikot piece is coming along splendidly as is Tiki Omar's Sun Mask.

Atomic Tony Tiki just sent his Tikot submission from his new home in Thailand 8370.05 away beating Tiki Racer in England by 2891.55 to be our most distant global participant.

Still waiting on delivered work from Crazy Al, Bowana David Lea, Babalu, Erin Joy, Heather Watts, McEvoy & Rodriguez, Atomikitty, 4WD Bill Collins, Brad Parker, Big Toe, Tiki Racer and UlaFish. While it's been a blast top see many of these pieces take shape online, this is not a "virtual" show. There are only ten days left kids.

Last one in's a rotten egg! Ha ha!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-10-22 15:48 ]

Very nice close-up pics, Hank!
Funny how it's mostly us locals that haven't delivered finished goods yet, huh? :lol:
I'll be finishing mine over the weekend, and plan to bring it down early next week.

I'm on the same track as 4WD. . . .

Procrastination = Inspiration! :D

Actually, I've been super busy with work, so I haven't had a chance to sink my teeth into this like I wanted to until now.
I've been keeping my eye on this thread, and I have been so inspired and amazed by the work coming in for this show!
Thanks everyone for posting progress pics and sharing your talents! Big thanks to Hodad too for letting me get in on the fun. :)
I absolutely LOVE the idea behind the show, and I was instantly inspired by the card I drew!

The Star: Usually depicting a woman with one foot on land, one foot in water. The water refers to the subconscious and memory, the land refers to the material world. She renews both. She holds two vessels, one pouring onto the land, and one pouring into the sea. Above her head shines the star. It is a hopeful card, and speaks to tranquility amongst tumult and being guided by invisible forces.

In my interpretation, I decided to take the idea of this woman with a physical connection to both the land and the water literally depicting her as a mermaid.
I wanted her to be a native of Oceanic origin, and appear strong, tranquil and a little wild.
I immediately thought of the Maori women, and so she became the Maori Mermaid.
I did a bunch of research, and got really inspired by the faces, the hair and dress, and especially the intricate carvings and patterns.

Here's the rough idea and the transferred drawing. . . all ready to paint! Yay!
I'm pretty happy with it so far. Looking forward to getting down to color.
Let me know what you think, and send along a little encouragement so I can burn the midnight oil and get this done! :D

Mahalo and Viva Atomica,

Suzy
http://www.atomikitty.com

B

this is looking awesome Suzy!

she is lovely...are those tattoo patterns on her tail?

and yeah...my painting should make it down there this weekend too!

She's gorgeous, Suzy! She's wild and serene at the same time. Perfect!

Winging its way to the exhibition as I write..

..."The Hanged Tiki".

Apologies for the craptacular mobile phone picture. I'm really impressed to be the furthest away artist taking part even if I did slightly cheat by moving to Thailand.

This is wonderful ATT! Very playful. A fun take on the Enchanted Tiki Room Tangaroa tree and it's dangling Tangaroa babies! Love that red too! Can't wait to see it in the flesh...

BTW, Thai-Express is my favorite resturant at the mall. U R so lucky you get to mail stuff from there.

Yay Suzy!!!! The Star looks great. A Mermaid was a clever way to go with this and I can't wait to see those tattoos up close! Git a-paintin' girlie.

BigToe has ours...Hopefully he drops it off this weekend...

CA

hope to get an image up soon... looking for good Eagle image...
now back to the studio......

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 24, 2009 11:49 AM

Here ya go:

CA

i'm sittin' on the corner.....bla bla bla... in the studio
does 'Desperado' have a card??? i might need to play it!

Sneak peek.
I can't draw or paint, so I'm staying with my normal medium, carved palm. :D
Here's just the top 20%, still in process.

Looks very STRONG Bill

Strong in a serene and feminine way? Cuz that's what I'm goin' for! :P

B

OMG Bill, that is one SEXY SEXY hunk o palm. masterful work so far, brudda!

B

And ATT, That is KILLER! that belly looks good enuff to eat!!!

Bill, is that under 20 inches?

Hodadhank~
This is the last day I'm painting on my card - "The Magician". Tomorrow morning I take it up north side of the island, where my printer is waiting to scan it, then I rush it to UPS so ship it to the Freakyboutiki!

Here is....almost done....!!!!!!

If you do want to do a deck of cards, I will happily supply the professionally scanned image of "The Magician" to you. Perhaps you could even just do a small deck of the Major arcana cards from the show. Let folks us regular decks to fill in the minor arcana?

Anyways, (CRACK!) I gotta get this done! It'll be on it's way to you tomorrow!!

Big Aloha and HAPPY HAWAII-WEEN!
Brad~

On 2009-10-25 12:10, MadDogMike wrote:
Bill, is that under 20 inches?

Yes Mike, what's pictured is under 20". :P

B

brudda brad!
once again u have proven that ur the mad maestro of tiki magic!
LOVE the atmospheric environ and the amazingly voluminous elements.

alohas, t

CA

here's my non-existent web skills in action... since i have no cool Fan-fair sound bit to link to...
Don! Don! Ta-Da!!!

Card 4: The Emperor!!

well the humble beginnings of him....

a bit more work if this guy is going to rule the like of yuz other!
yikes..... back to work, your Majesty

Cheers Big Toe!

Just following the tracking of my parcel and its reached LA airport.

T

WOAH! Haven't checked this thread in four days and the amount of awesome artwork posted in that time is phenomenal!!!

Can't wait to see it all live and in person!

Mahalo again Hodaddy for such an excellent idea!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies