Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKOT! - Visions from the Tiki Tarot @ FBG thru November

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks Big Toe!
Here it is done! I'm wrapping it up and taking it to UPS right now.

The Magician

Big Mahalo to Hodadhank for such a great idea for a show! (and letting me be a part of it!)

Brad~

U

Here's the final, touched-up High Priestess. I just got it printed and framed today and I'll be overnighting it tomorrow :)
Now comes the tough part...deciding how much it's worth. I hate pricing my own work.

Another sneak peek, still not finished, but close!

XII - Strength.

B

Ula: stunning. and i hear u on the art...price it high and then trade for mine!!

Bill: Hakuna Matiki!

All I can say is wow. The artwork in the thread is just incredible.

Ula..... Wow! That's beautiful!
Lots of amazing art! The Fool! The empress! Strenght, death... the tower!
If not a deck a cardss, perhaps a poster with 21 shots laid out?

[ Edited by Travellin' Tiki on 2023-11-29 15:11:36 ]

Here are a few progress shots of The World card.

Damn Erik, that's gonna be killer!

Make 3 more and you'll have a table :lol:

B

You've drawn the Tower card....

Beware, as the foundation of that comfortable life you have been building up for all these years is about to come to a drastic and sudden end. Yes, tremendous storms will gather. Lightning from the heavens will uncontrollably bear down on you. Your castle of self will burst into flame and crumble. Your shadow of a being will free fall into the depths of the unknown...everything will be lost...

You've drawn the Tower card....

Wow, what a great show in the works here...wonderful work from ALL you peoples!

Awesome TOWER there Babs!
Nice colors you've picked...

CA

UPS has this suck-ka now! and it's beddy bi time now...

[ Edited by: crazy al 2009-10-28 17:19 ]

B

WOW BABS!! seriously stunning. love the sky n lighting and the hapless free-fallers!!!

and OMG, heather, she's gorgeous! very sensuous surface textures!!

AL, shack is sexy as hell, love the INSPIRED bone handles/ number!

Eric, great concept!!!!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-10-29 09:41 ]

Doh! Everyone's pieces are awesome.

Thanks, Toes & 4WD.

A couple more shots.

Everybody's work looks amazing. With the exception of a few stragglers, art was being hung today by Charlie and me.

Crazy Al's Emperor arrived as well as Bowana's Lovers and Babalu's Tower. I'll try to post some gallery shots tomorrow. So much time so little to do. Strike that, reverse it...

Thank you all and I hope to see some of you Saturday night for Tikot! Visions from the TIKI TAROT (BTW, the FIRST California "Lowbrow" Tarot show. Billy Shire Fine Arts Lowbrow Tarot show can eat my shorts. Style biters.)

Step right up folks, don't be shy...

**GAWK and purchase the Mysterious One-Of-A-Kind Artwork!

GAPE and cram Charlie's World famous Mini Mummy-Dogs!

GUZZLE succulent seasonal Pumpkin Ale!

GNAW piles of terrifying Tooth-Rotting candy!

GIRATE to DJ Shuffle's frightening selection Phychobilly, Creepxotica and Shock Rock!

GRIMACE at gruesome Grindhouse horror films!

BEWARE!!!! Mystical Wahine Toni and her man eating python Sigh may stop by to read your palms and give you advise from departed loved one's on which piece to add to your collection...

Muuuuua-ha-ha!!**

Sweet Georgia Brown!!! Erik, that moai is bigger than your neighbors house! Did you get the size specs from 4WD Bill by any chance?

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-10-29 22:13 ]

Hey Hodad!

Just a straggler checking in! ;D

Art is framed and will be delivered tomorrow!

CA

here we go..........
the whole dissection is here on the face booklet.....
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1485764506&ref=name#/album.php?aid=22289&id=1485764506

verb-age.......

Tapa cloth, the traditional natural bark fiber cloth of the Kings of Polynesia crowns the rustic natural exoskeleton that holds the royalty within. 'The Box' with 'four' sides brings stability to the ruler. The Emperor is Key Four of the Major Arcana. Fours are stable numbers; four walls, four seasons, four corners. It takes a massive amount of energy, comparatively, to move them. The strength of The Emperor is the stability he brings. and so on...

'IV' invites you to your destiny. The 4 of Diamonds card is said to have wealth is all four corners.

Bones? what else??? Polynesian Kings had the power of life and death over there subjects and where known to killed at will. The Emperor is connected to Key 13, Death, through its cross sum (the sum of the digits). Emperors maintain their power through death and through their relationship with the other 13 of the tarot...

more captions like these...... enjoy

HT

Al,

What is inside the box???

On 2009-10-30 17:06, HB TIKI wrote:
What is inside the box???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgd7S0fJiec

L

Man I really would love to see this show in person.

I am going to have to road trip down South!

looks awesome!

They all look flipping fantastic, what a great show.

for the future Minor arcana I was thinking they should be..

Original - Wands (creativity and will) Tiki set - Chisels

Original - Pentacles (Material body or possessions) Tiki set - ?

Original - Cups (Emotions and Love) Tiki set - Tiki Mugs

Original - Swords (Reason) Tiki set - spears/tribal weapons?

Okay, finished pics, and not a day too late! :wink:

The card drawn for me was "Strength"."The design of this card is fairly constant across tarot decks. The key characters are that of a woman and a lion, with the woman looking calm and gentle, yet dominant over the lion.

The lion represents our strong inner passions, the woman purity. The woman, confident in her abilities, easily tames the lion with virtually no physical strength.
True Strength is fortitude of character, and the ability to not only control the emotions, but to rise above them, and triumph over all out lower impulses and desires."

I received my inspiration from Tiki-Kate's thread on Cannibal carvings: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33940&forum=5&hilite=cannibal
mainly this pic:

And ended up with this:

And two pics to show it in the FBG:

Done!!!

Oh, here is the regular card.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-10-31 16:46 ]

L

The duk duks are awesome! I wonder who could they be...hmm......

Great pics!

H

Yes we had some Halloween fun.

The Duk Duks won best costume of the night!

Thanks to Red for the vintage horror flix and Charlie & Kyle for helping with the tasty grub and the use of their projector.

One quarter of TIKOT!'s Major Arcana found new homes during the short four hours of our Halloween night event.

For those who had to take the tykes trick or treating or who might want to get a jump on their Christmas shopping, I shall post photos along with prices over the next several days.

Please PM if you see a piece that interests you. Freaky Boutiki Gallery accepts Visa and Master-charge and enjoys a decade of experience shipping fragile items worldwide.

Watch this thread as the TIKOT! unfolds...

The Chariot is Key Seven of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Tiki Racer depicts the Chariot with an image of a powerful, crowned Marquesan tiki aboard a swift outrigger, pulled by contradictory impulses, represented by the black and white honu. Beneith the waxing moon he grips a staff symbolizing masculinity. His story bespeaks the reversals of the night, where our deadliest enemies may be our best friends.

The Chariot by Tiki Racer of Oxford, England, UK
Acrylic on wood.
$200.00
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-09 12:58 ]

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 6:33 PM

Thanks for the Halloween fun and frolic, Hodaddy! That was quite an entertaining evening. Congrats to the artists who's pieces sold already!
Eric and Manuel's Duk-Duk dance out on the sidewalk was stopping traffic! :lol:
Ahhh...good times!

Bowie

H

The World is Key Twenty One of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Erik The Red sculpted a world represented by four major island groups of the Polynesian triangle. A Hawaiian female tiki crowned with twenty one green urchin spines in lava rock and holding two black urchin spine scepters stands atop a globe featuring a map of the triangle flanked by representative masks from Tahiti, New Zealand and Rapa Nui. This symbolic four-fold structure of the physical world is used to define the sacred center of the world. The World card is thus a symbol of this sacred center, the goal of mystical seekers.

The World by Erik The Red of Pacific Beach, California.
carved bass wood, acrylic, sea urchin spines, lava rock, marble, faux turf, raffia, sea-grass cording
$400.00

The Star is Key Seventeen of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Atomikitty depicts The Star as a richly tattooed Maori Mermaid in a watery cove, her tail in the tidal pool, her body on the land. Above her head a star shines out. In each hand she holds a clam shell. From one she pours a liquid into the water. From the other she pours a liquid onto the land. The hidden pool refers to the subconscious. The land to the material world. She renews both. Usually divined as hope for the future, with good things to come!

The Star by Atomikitty of Los Angeles, California, USA.
Acrylic on wood panel w/ gold accents, Framed.

$350.00
***** SOLD *****]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-23 09:46 ]

The Emperor is Key Four of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Crazy Al Evans has reimagined the Emperor seated on his throne, weilding a coconut scepter, A gilded mug locked in his palm husk and tapa cloth chamber by an orongo rongo swivel lock; a representation of the heraldic Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire. He symbolizes the top of the secular hierarchy, the ultimate male ego. The Emperor is the absolute ruler of the world but he is cloistered in his gilded palace, separated from the pulse of life.

The Emporer by Crazy Al Evans of Huntington Beach, California, USA

Modified and hand gilded limited edition ceramic King Tiki mug, wood, palm husk, resin, red velvet, gold lamé, bone.
$1680.00

The Lovers is Key Six of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Bowana David Lea's Lovers represent relationships and choices. The rangorongo birds infatuated gaze implies an existing relationship, self love, a temptation of the heart, or a choice of potential partners. A Yin and Yang is clearly evinent as The Lovers represent the impulse that drives us out of the Garden, here decpicted with a lush green tapa print, towards adulthood.

The Lovers by Bowana David Lea of La Mesa, California USA
Acrylic on wooden planking, bamboo
$200.00
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-28 18:30 ]

H

The Sun is Key Nineteen of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Tiki Omar's version of The Sun takes the form of a wall mounted Tangaroa, great God of the Pacific seas. The wall itself represents an obstacle. Indicating there is always an opportunity to break through the walls we may have built around our hearts. The dancing nude male and female petroglyphs symbolize humanities ability celebrate our true nature without fear, working hand-in-hand with the vitality and clarity the sun represents. As with the gilded central sun/sunflower so too does the face of humanity turn to the light of Truth.

The Sun by Tiki Omar of Encinitas, California, USA
Carved palm, fire, gold acrylic.
$125.00
***** SOLD *****

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-30 16:10 ]

Great show. I was able to stop by after the Charger game yesterday and enjoy the whole tiki vibe. Impressive collection of artist with a very cool topic to work with.
It was enjoyable seeing the collection all match in size but differ in the different artist styles. many mouthwatering collectables were also in this great little shop.

if you have not made the trip to check out the show,DO SO!!!!!!! The art looks even better in person.

H

The Tower is Key Sixteen of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Babalu's Tower mug takes the form of a Melanesian drum. It's stretched head form the heavens which open to reign down lightning. A reservoir above the tower cornice may contain 151 and set aflame. The top of the tower is seen crumbling and falling to the ground beneath as two figures plummet from it's heights. Possibly an allegorical reference to Babel and the arrogance of man. The Tower represents the paradigms constructed by the ego, the sum total of all schema that the mind constructs to understand the universe. The Tower is struck by lightning when reality does not conform to expectation.

The Tower by Rick "Babalu" Henderson of Lemon Grove, California, USA
Ceramic, glazes, gold
$420.00

H

Judment is Key Twenty to the YIKOT! Major Arcana.

In Kinny Ruzic interpretation Judgment a Maori Gabriel sounds bamboo horns from the heavens on the day of reckoning. Below, the land and waters surrender their dead as tikis heed the call in awe. The mountainous background signify insurmountable obstacles and the impossibility of avoiding the Judgment. As the card symbolizes resurrection, it can also be interpreted to herald the return of individuals from the past and the knowing that Judgment Day can come at any moment; live your life to the fullest, as the trumpet of Gabriel is at hand.

Judgment by Kinny Ruzic of Orange, California, USA
Guache, watercolor, bleach, ink, gold paint pen, papyrus. Shadow boxed.
$350.00

T

Wow! What an amazing show! Hodaddy, you really assembled a great collection of artists! The photos do not do the work justice, they MUST be seen up close in person!!!

Mahalo for a wonderful Halloween evening, too! I ate way too much candy! Had to go have a mai tai to feel right again!

H

Justice is Key Eight of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

B. E. Boling's Justice takes the form of a three dimentional wall hanging featuring a blind Maori-style Athena, goddess of wisdom and a model for justice, a cardinal virtue to Athens, Greece. Her hair is red or "Uru-kehu" consistant with ancient New Zealand inhabitants known to the Maori as "Patupaiarehe". Seen here also is Athena's owl. It's countenance mimics the heitiki displaying large eyes believed to reflect inner light. The legendary Maori owl, the Ruru are traditionally believed to be guardians with power to protect, warn and advise.

Justice by B. E. Boling of Savannah Georgia USA
laminated 3D wooden frieze, acylic
$280.00

B
BigToe posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 8:53 AM

WOW. looks like it was an amazing evening! congrats to all for amazing art!

and a big MAhalo to HoHank for a KILLER show!

H

The Hanged Man is Key Twelve in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Atomic Tony Tiki gives us a tongue-in-cheek spin on Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room Tangaroa tree and its dangling babies. A card of profound but veiled signifigance, The Hanged Man grins serenely having let go of worldly attachments and in letting go gains a profound perspective accessible only to someone free from everyday conceptual, dualistic reality. Legs are crossed forming a digit 4, the number which rules one’s sense of “I AM” and ego, his bent knee symbolizing flexibility to bend to the will of a higher consciousness. The image, as a whole, suggests life in suspension, not death, but a hero committed enough to the adventure to die for it.

The Hanged Man by Atomic Tony Tiki of Bangkok, Thailand.
Acrylic on canvas
$200.00

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-06 13:51 ]

H

Strength is Key eight in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

4WD Bill Collins gives us a version of Strength as physically imposing as elegant. A Marquesan female figure straddles a submissive lion emulating classic mid-century cannibal images. Carved from a single piece of palm wood they are as one, the lion representing the primal or id-like part of the mind, and the woman, the 'higher' or more elevated parts of the mind. Associated with Leo, this card stresses discipline and control while implying a potency that is sexual, creative, and intuitive.

Strength by 4WD Bill Collins of Vista, California USA
Carved Palmwood
$400

NOTE This sculpture is available for pick up only and stands 53" tall.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-04 18:16 ]

H

Temperance is Key Fourteen of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Heather Watts portrays the cardinal virtue of Temperance in the form of a winged mermaid. Partly terrestrial, partly a thing of the dark sea she embodies the opposites of both worlds to produce sublime balance. She pours liquid from a flower into a skull mug who's effervescence return to the flower perpetuating the process of life and death indefinitely. A glowing fish float replaces the traditional setting sun as representative of the death of ego. This underworld card seems right at home on black velvet and should serve as a reminder that a compromise between two seemingly incompatible options is often the best option.

Temperance by Heather Watts of Vancouver BC, Canada
Acrylic on Black Velvet, framed
$650.00

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-06 13:52 ]

The Wheel is Key Ten in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

S.L. Grice gives us a Wheel rich with symbolism dating back to the early 15th century. Here, a Polynesian version of the goddess Fortuna spins at random, changing the positions of Tikis on the wheel - some suffering great misfortune, others gaining windfalls. Replacing the traditional Sphinx (objectivity), the Monkey (flexibility) and the Crocodile (creative power) with the Pueo (owl), Tako (octopus) and Mano (the shark), we see qualities the Querant will need to achieve prosperity. The flying pig has been caught, cooked and presented on a table of Taro leaves as a symbol of abundance. Attended by a smiling Menehune, Fortuna stands poised for the spinning, but even one step removed from outcome herself as her eyeless puppet tiki has his hand on the lever.

The Wheel by S.L. Grice of Seattle Washington USA
Acrylic on canvas
$875
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-09 12:56 ]

I finally was able to go down and see the show today. Awesome work everyone! If anyone hasn't had the chance to go down there, please do, you wont be disappointed!

Can't wait to come see this great show in person, and visit with the always awesome Hodad Hank and Freaky Boutiki team!

Hoping to get down there next weekend.
Anyone else who didn't get to the opening night event wanna make a road-trip?

Hank, thanks SO MUCH for organizing such a unique and inspiring show, and for letting me be a part of the magic.

The write up you posted with my piece is absolutely beautiful-couldn't have put it in better words myself!

MUCHO MAHALO for all you do to support, encourage and inspire your tiki artist Ohana!

~ Suzy
Atomikitty

sorry if I missed the info, but when will this show be up till?
I am planning on going to SD area on Sat the 21st.
Hope I can see it then.

Jeff(btd)

H

The Hierophant is Key Five of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Erin Joy's hipster Hierophant derives his name from the wise chief priest of the Eleusinian Mysteries and stands for any religion or orthodox theology. With five eyes representing the five senses, and appendages that nod to the Papal triple cross, he looms from his shadowbox with one hand raised in beatnik benediction. Two fingers pointing skyward and two pointing down form a bridge between heaven and earth. Attended by two tiki, twin keys to the kingdom heaven, he prepares the querant spiritually for life's adventures and as Freud’s superego, shapes us, sometimes brutally.

The Hierophant by Erin Joy of Oceanside CA USA
$280
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-09 14:01 ]

Erin Joy's piece is stunning in person. Amazing amount of detail.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies