Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

New Year's Eve ! The Tikiyaki Orchestra at Don the Beachcomber !

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies

No fence-straddling here! :wink: We got our tix a couple of weeks ago, and are all reserved for the Hampton Inn too. Wouldn't miss it.

TM

Early Jim Bacchi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJ2dM--VSA

Jim, you rock!!!!

T

On 2009-12-03 15:03, lucas vigor wrote:
Early Jim Bacchi:

Jim, you rock!!!!

Fuzzbubble was such an awesome band. We keep talking about recording new material. I really hope I can find the time.

By The Way...Theremin on this track. Probably a first for a million-plus selling album....

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-03 15:46 ]

T

Just added to the show....

Big Tiki Dude will be on the wheels of steel DJ'ing....classic surf, exotica, hawaiian.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-04 11:23 ]

TM

On 2009-12-03 15:44, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2009-12-03 15:03, lucas vigor wrote:
Early Jim Bacchi:

Jim, you rock!!!!

Fuzzbubble was such an awesome band. We keep talking about recording new material. I really hope I can find the time.

By The Way...Theremin on this track. Probably a first for a million-plus selling album....

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-03 15:46 ]

The guitar playing is pretty damn awesome, too!

On 2009-12-04 11:23, tikiyaki wrote:
Just added to the show....

Big Tiki Dude will be on the wheels of steel DJ'ing....classic surf, exotica, hawaiian.

Thanks Jim,
its always a pleasure and a blast working with and watchin you guys.
true professionals, and great guys to boot.

for the dinner hours I will be playing it really mellow and low volume, then between bands and between sets of Tikiyaki I will step it up a Bit and include some mid tempo surf maybe. But no Rippin Dick Dale stuff.
gonna keep it classy.
Thanks again Jim.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-12-04 18:20 ]

so who is comin' early and gonna start drinkin at 4?
:o :wink:

Jeff(btd)

P

So are tickets $75 or $95?

Here it says $75, but when I go to purchase it is $95. WTF?

T

Well, before this turns into a thing.

This situation was brought upon us just yesterday.

Here is the deal. This year, different than last year The band has been hired by Don The beachcomber to play New year's Eve.
Last year, Kona gave us the room and let us charge admission and we earned whatever tickets we sold. It was our show.
This year the show is being produced and run by Don The Beachcomber...that means they make the prices and rules.

Tickets are indeed $75 , but this price does not include tax and "service fee" (read : server tip)
So, the good folks at Don's put the show on sale without charging California Tax and gratuity. Unfortunately, management did not talk to the owners and the ticket price was told to us as $75. That is what we listed, because that is what we were told.

Unfortunately, because The Tikiyaki Orchestra is not the producers of this show, this kind of thing is beyond our control. We were hired by the Venue to be entertainment.

Naturally, we do our best to promote the band, and the shows we play, but in this case, that is all we're in control of.

So, now Don's has basically went and changed the ticket purchase price to include tax and gratuity.

I for one am not thrilled with this decision, but I understand the need to collect sales tax. Gratuity, well, that's another story.

So, let me just say, on behalf of the band,we're sorry for this situation, but it is indeed beyond our control. If you're angry about it, just know that we are too, but we hope that people understand that it's not something we did. If you have issue with this, you can call Don's and speak with them.

At the end of the day, if it were up to me, the admission would be $15 again, like last year, but I understand that this is a business and they need to cover their costs. I've been told that for new year's Eve, this kind of pricing is the norm, which is why I guess I always do something low key on New Year's.

I know that The crowne plaza in Redondo Baach is charging $50 for general admission to hear 2 dj's, and that includes nothing else...not even a seat or a table....so by comparison, I think it's a pretty good deal, even with the $20 additional tax and tip.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies things. I hope that none of you hold this against us, it is simply not our choice to make.

Mahalo

Jim

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-08 18:59 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-09 11:39 ]

P

OK. All I wanted was an explanation and clarification of what the price really is. Thank you for providing that so promptly. I know what to expect now and what I am getting for my money.

So the bad news is it will cost me $40 more than I thought. The good news is I don't have to leave an extra tip.

It's hard to believe a year had gone by since the last event. The band is STILL working on the new CD. The Eliminators will be debuting a song so new it is not on the new CD. New Years Eve will be the fist time in public that The Eliminators play their new song Starlight Cruise. If you want to slow dance during this song, please feel free.

[ Edited by: Eliminators 2009-12-10 12:40 ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-12-11 11:16 ]

so get the 25 dollar ticket and eat at Taco surf.
or get there early and eat in the bar.

sheeesh isnt not that hard to figure out.

and people call me Eeyore.
:roll:

Jeff(btd)

As I stated before....I'm not happy about this either, but we have no control over this.

Perhaps your complaint should be emailed to the folks at Don The Beachcomber. All the contact info you need is in your post.

Complaining here will not change anything nor will it be heard by the powers that be.

In other words, "Don't Shoot me, I'm only the bongo player" :)

You DO have a more cost effective option, as BTD stated, so maybe the $25 ticket will work for you.

Man, if I had a dollar for every bullet I've taken for this place......:roll:

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-10 23:04 ]

On 2009-12-10 22:47, bigtikidude wrote:
so get the 25 dollar ticket and eat at Taco surf.
or get there early and eat in the bar.

sheeesh isnt not that hard to figure out.

and people call me Eeyore.
:roll:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-12-11 11:13 ]

CJ

I concur with Kelly.

Art-WTF?

So because Jim is one of my very best friends in the world and I value that...immensely... this ones for you...

On 2009-12-10 22:58, tikiyaki wrote:

In other words, "Don't Shoot me, I'm only the bongo player" :)

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-10 23:04 ]

Yeah, but you are a GREAT Bongo player!!!!!!

P

Is anyone planning on staying at the Hampton Inn? I just checked the map and it is not walking or stumbling distance. A shuttle would be required or you would have to drive. If I have to drive, I might as well just go home.

I think Don's needs to make a deal with a closer hotel/motel. Might make up for stiffing us on the tickets.

I had a feeling that it was Donnie Beachbummers that were driving this shindig when I saw the price. TiKiYaki has taken pretty good care of us in the past and I know that success has not gone to Lush's head, only the last drink has...
As much as I wanteded to go, it is over my head this year, so be it...I am still Tikiyaki's biggest fan, Don Beachbummer, not so much.

On 2009-12-11 21:03, PiPhiRho wrote:
Is anyone planning on staying at the Hampton Inn? I just checked the map and it is not walking or stumbling distance. A shuttle would be required or you would have to drive. If I have to drive, I might as well just go home.

I think Don's needs to make a deal with a closer hotel/motel. Might make up for stiffing us on the tickets.

I had heard that there was going to be a shuttle going back and forth from Don's to the Hotel.
but I'd double check with the hotel or Don's about that.

Jeff(btd)

T

On 2009-12-11 23:08, bigtikidude wrote:

I had heard that there was going to be a shuttle going back and forth from Don's to the Hotel.
but I'd double check with the hotel or Don's about that.

Jeff(btd)

No Shuttle.

I say go for the 777. Down n Dirty baby !

T

A shuttle would be required or you would have to drive. If I have to drive, I might as well just go home.

We'd planned on taking a taxi to & fro anyway.

It appears The ticket price is set to increase again so.....act now, don't delay, step right up and do NOT miss out on this fabulous opportunity to see the greatest contemporary exotica group in the world, performing in the most atmospherically cool venue on the west coast. You WILL NOT find this deal for a better price anywhere in the world and it will never be offered again! Well...hopefully next year also but you know you can't wait that long.

I don't understand what the big deal is about the $75 vs. $95 ticket - I bought a ticket for $75 and freaked out because I thought I'd have to pay more, but I called Don the Beachcomber and Art told me that I didn't have to - there was an error on the brown paper site and they are honoring the tickets purchased before it was fixed. I guess it's $75, but they want to make sure everyone understands there is tax and tip. So, I have to pay the tip and whatnot later, but what if some people get drunk and forget?

All I'm saying is that I don't understand why we all just can't get along.
VMT

On 2009-12-10 23:55, Coco Joe wrote:
I concur with Kelly.

Art-WTF?

On 2009-12-14 10:16, OnlyATikiLad wrote:
do NOT miss out on this fabulous opportunity to see the greatest contemporary exotica group in the world, performing in the most atmospherically cool venue on the west coast.

Exactly! Well said!

I think what people need to realize about the ticket price issue.

it was an oversight,
hence, get over it.

nobody is trying to bamboozle anybody.

Hope to see everybody there on New Years.
Jeff(btd)

bump

Tikiyaki Orchestra + The Eliminators + Don The Beachcombers + Dinner + Reserved Seating + Champagne Toast & Favors = The Best Value in Town for New Years Eve. Can't wait to see everybody there. WoooHoooo! :)

DOOR PRIZES !

We'd like to announce that Go-Tiki and Doug Horne will be donating door prizes for this event, as well as us.

Thanx GoGo and Doug for being so generous, yet again !

On 2009-12-19 09:20, WooHooWahine wrote:
Tikiyaki Orchestra + The Eliminators + Don The Beachcombers + Dinner + Reserved Seating + Champagne Toast & Favors = The Best Value in Town for New Years Eve. Can't wait to see everybody there. WoooHoooo! :)

Plus me DJing Exotica and Hawaiian music for 2 hours before the show, for the
Diner crowd.

Jeff(btd)

bump,
can't wait.

WooooHoooooo! Only 4 more days :)

GT

Thanks Tikiyaki Orchestra, For letting Dani and I participate again this year in the raffle! We are looking forward to a Great time again!

I'm trying to get 3 one of a kind bowls done. Here is a link to the first one, http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24254&forum=18&start=last&454 I'll post the finish pictures here, Cheers! Gogo

For those that are not aware, surf guitar legend and author John Blair joined The Eliminators in 2009.

Johns bio:
Surf guitar legend John Blair of Jon & The Nightriders, who is responsible for starting the second wave of surf music, has joined The Eliminators Surf Band.

Jon & The Nightriders electrified music lovers in 1979 when their maiden effort "Rumble At Waikiki" exploded on to the Hollywood scene and ignited what music historians now call the "second wave," or modern school of rock & roll's first electronic revolution: "instrumental" surf music.

In addition to reintroducing the nearly-forgotten style of guitar-based, instrumental surf music that laid the groundwork in the late 50s and early 60s for heavy metal and fusion styles, Jon & The Nightriders inspired classic "first wave" bands such as The Ventures and Dick Dale to resume touring.

Between 1981 and 2001, Jon & The Nightriders continued to record, perform locally, and tour Europe. The band has recorded eight studio and live albums to date, and released a retrospective collection in addition to appearing on numerous compilation albums including Rhino Records' 1996 box set of surf music, "Cowabunga." The band's music has been heard in several theatrical film soundtracks and in two surfing documentaries from filmmaker Bud Browne. They have made five successful European tours, performing in nearly every major European country.

Thirty years after the formation of Jon & The Nightriders, John Blair remains one of the most respected and popular surf instrumental guitarists and performers on the planet.

Recipient of the Surf Music's Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award, producer of the classic 1996 "Cowabunga - The Surf Box" (Rhino Records) and author of The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, guitarist John Blair's guitar virtuosity, songwriting, and production on Jon & The Nightriders award winning recordings of classic, modern and post-modern "instro" surf have been recognized throughout the world. John Blair is now recognized as the idiom's most visible and sought-after virtuoso whom Vintage Guitar Magazine called "the Segovia of Surf Music."

[ Edited by: Eliminators 2009-12-27 22:20 ]

[ Edited by: Eliminators 2009-12-27 22:22 ]

TM

Very awesome indeed!

Hooot !!

so Lucas, you goin'?

Jeff(btd)

T

Giveaways ! Giveaways ! Giveaways !

Doug Horne, Go-Tiki and more !

Doug Horne was kind enough to donate a print of his latest work "Monkey's Night Out", number 13 of 200 for the raffle giveaway.

This one is beautiful, signed and already matted and ready to frame - size 16"x20".

Here's a glimpse of it (but not the entire thing)

Go-Tiki has a really nice bowl that's still in the works for a door prize as well...Hey GoGo...PICS ?

There will also be Tikiyaki merch and Don the Beachcomber goods for giveaways.

Don't miss out.

As for the show....

We just got us a fancy new light show to bedazzle y'all, and have some new surprise cover tunes worked up.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

TM

On 2009-12-28 15:15, bigtikidude wrote:
Hooot !!

so Lucas, you goin'?

Jeff(btd)

No sir! I have a gig that night already, (as I do every new year's eve for the last 10 years!)

Sorry I have to miss two great bands AND one of the best DJs in the business!

Spin those vinyl records , and add extra crackle for me!!! (the crackle and pop IS the best part of records!)

T

MORE giveaways !

Our very good friends at FLUFF have donated a gift for the door prizes.

Thanx Jason and Claudette !

Our pleasure Maestro Jim!
Looking forward to the SHOW!
Something for the wahines
or the wahiniboys :D

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-12-30 20:32 ]

T

SWEET !!! Thanx Jason & Claudette !

I'm really bummed to miss this one. Limited funds and unwilling friends are making me sit this one out. :( Have an extra drink for me!

Are there tickets still left for this? Would I be kicking myself if I did the show only thing?

yes, there are tickets left.

GT

What a blast this will be! Dani and I have finished one of the raffle items, I call it " Tok Pisin " PNG Fisherman Bowl, I think it turned out pretty cool!

Thanks Jim and Marty, Cheers! Gogo

OK, we have another amazing giveaway....

One of the photos Jonpaul Balak completed for Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's Sippin' Safari.
The photograph appears on page 64 and accompanies the recipe for Beachcomber's Rum Barrel.
It is matted, hand-signed and ready to be framed in your favorite 8x10" frame.
This is an extremely rare item, as only a very small amount of these have been or ever will be printed.

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies