Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

New Year's Eve ! The Tikiyaki Orchestra at Don the Beachcomber !

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies

On 2009-12-30 11:02, tikiyaki wrote:
OK, we have another amazing giveaway....

One of the photos Jonpaul Balak completed for Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's Sippin' Safari.
The photograph appears on page 64 and accompanies the recipe for Beachcomber's Rum Barrel.
It is matted, hand-signed and ready to be framed in your favorite 8x10" frame.
This is an extremely rare item, as only a very small amount of these have been or ever will be printed.

One of the best bass players in the Tiki scene, AND a brilliant photographer to boot! The man is very talented!

One of the best bass players in the Tiki scene, AND a brilliant photographer to boot! The man is very talented!

Too bad he posts too much here, quit spamming Jonpaul! :wink:
Ok seriously, great musician, excellent photographer, and an outstanding person that I'm proud to call my friend.
Hope y'all have fun at Don's with Tikyaki.
Ran

N
NOTCH posted on Thu, Dec 31, 2009 9:53 AM

I want ya guys to be safe and have a Happy New Years!
Cheers!

I'm pumped for tonight,
home some people come out tonight.

Jeff(btd)

Happy New Year to you Notch .Make it a great one.

We are at Don's setting up!

WoooooHoooooo! Let The 2nd Annual Jetsetter's Ball Begin..........

I must say it was a great night, and I am pretty sure that everything went off without a hitch.

Thanks for having me DJ again Jim.

Jeff(btd)

T

OK, I'm wiped out !

2nd Annual Jungle Jetsetter's New Year's Eve Ball was a blast.

Thanx to all who attended, and I hope your experience was good all the way around. Lots of new faces and it was great to meet new people and see the familiar ones.

Thanx to the following folks for helping out :

Marie King, Art and Delia Snyder and the entire staff at Don's. I think things were a massive improvement over last year's show.
DJ's Jeff Big Tiki Dude and Tiki Tena
The Eliminators
Coco and Stacey for running the merch booth
WooHoo and Soccer....just because

Our generous gift donators ; I never ask...they just offer
Go-Tiki
Doug Horne
Fluff
our own Jonpaul Balak
Don The Beachcomber
Mike Martin

Thanx everyone for making another great year in Tikiyaki-land. Looking forward to 2010.

Aloha and Mahalo

Jim

SD

So last night at Don's was awesome. Where do we start?

Decorations looked great and festive for the New Year, but totally didn't take away from the Tiki-ness.

The room was laid out wonderfully. Every seat was a good seat.

Service was great. Our waiter came by so often I wanted to invite him to just sit down with us. And an older gent with an accent was very attentive to making sure all was good. And Marie worked her ass off!

The caesar salad, the orange glazed salmon, the surf and turf and the lemon tart and lava cake were outstanding and served hot (More that I can say for a really expensive dinner at a really nice restaurant on Christmas Eve and they weren't crowded!)

And the drinks....stunning. Really!

The Eliminators were awesome. Haven't caught them before, bought their cd's.

And Tikiyaki....what more can you say. These guys just get better and better.

This was really a first class night and a total blast. And best of all, I got the $75 tickets, was fully prepared to pay the extra $20 that was reported......and they never collected it. So it was a bargain too.

I so hope they do it next year because I'll be the first to make reservations!

Jen

Great Review Jen,
good to see that on here.

here are Photos by Tiki Tena

M

Big Mahalo, to Tikiyaki Orchestra, The Eliminators and DTB!!! It was a fun night filled with great entertainment (Martys one liners were as usual pretty classic) The food was delicious, the drinks were flowing and the place was filled with nothing but smiles. Bigtikidude set the mood on the 1's & 2's and it was cool to meet some new TC'ers. The giveaways were awesome and very generously donated. Mrs Mongoloid was the front engine on the conga line and being at a location where balloons fall from the ceiling at midnight on NYE can be checked off of my bucket list now. Hope this becomes a tradition for many years to come!!!!

A Conga line?
Balloons form the ceiling?
dang.

T

On 2010-01-02 19:35, bananabobs wrote:
A Conga line?
Balloons form the ceiling?
dang.

That's how we roll.

More pics !!!!

HL

Thank you to Tikiyaki Orchestra ,
The Eliminators and Jeff Big Tiki Dude ,Marie and Don the Beachcomber,
for an amazing New Years Eve!!
The music was excellent, the food was delicious, the drinks
were dangerously good.

And I really enjoyed Tikiyaki's rendition of Viva Las Vegas!
We only took a few pics,too busy having fun.

Happy New Year!!

claudette

M

On 2010-01-02 19:58, 1961surf wrote:
More pics !!!!

Well first of all my camera takes lame photos
Second i was living in the moment and missed photographing alot of cool moments
Third - Booze usually in my camera hand!
These are all the semi-decent ones i have to offer.

img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8959/4b401f71.jpg[/img]
The balloons falling at midnight

The front of the Tikiyaki conga line

Tiki Shaker and his wahine Christine

Mrs. Mongoloid, Mongoloid and my neighbor El Jefe that had his tiki initiation that night

CJ

looks awesome! wish we could have made it

HT

New Years at DTB was excellent, great food and 2 outstanding bands. Thanks to Art and Delia and Marie for doing a great job. Also all the drinks were outstanding. Thanks for the music Btd.

HT

more pictures

I was in a Lapu Lapu fog all night. Think I'm still suffering the lingering effects...

Eliminators are some SNAZZY dressers! Bass player's jacket was INSANE! I want one!

Tikiyaki was excellent as usual. Marty Lush did a spoken word rendition of "Detroit Rock City" during "Bali Hai Ball" that I found extremely amusing.

BTD's selections had my table buzzing all night--"What's that great song?" "The Vanduras." Dan from the Dynotones was spinning some cool stuff in the front bar as well.

Oh yeah, the food was GREAT! The service was awesome! Marie has really beaten that place into shape! Definitely worth the $75 ticket!

T

On 2010-01-03 18:32, HB TIKI wrote:
more pictures

This pic is priceless....

"Tikiyaki, we gave you 2 extra weeks to pay back that money, the boss says you got one more day, or you lose a finger"

Moai Mafia in full effect.

good times indeed,
wish we could do it again real soon.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-04 12:16 ]

O

Well, finally recovered from Tikiyaki Airlines New Years flight enough to post these pics. What a great night! Tiki friends, Big Tiki Dude spinning great tunes in the treehouse, the Eliminators and then Tikiyaki Orchestra Airlines. Thanks to Marie for being the hostess with the mostest and Art for saving this Tiki palace. Time to get this place declared a historic site

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2010-01-04 15:59 ]

M

On 2010-01-04 10:55, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2010-01-03 18:32, HB TIKI wrote:
more pictures

This pic is priceless....

"Tikiyaki, we gave you 2 extra weeks to pay back that money, the boss says you got one more day, or you lose a finger"

Moai Mafia in full effect.

I thought i heard him say to you "Now youz cant leave"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bv24EcQxWA

Wow, what a great night! My girlfriend Cristine and I had a blast! The bands sounded great and the drinks were nice and tasty. We had a great time with out table mates Patty, Jeff, Sharon, Mongoloid (Cory), Mrs. Mongoloid (Susan) & El Jefe (Jeff), who fought the shrimp admirably. I was also lucky enough that my girlfriend won me the Awesome Rum Barrel print donated by the talented Jonpaul Balak. I told Cristine I was hoping to win that all night!

Here are the photos Cristine took!

And last but not least, my awesome girlfriend with the kick ass print!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2010-01-04 23:04 ]

GT

What a Great time, Dani and I always have a Blast at a Tikiyaki event, Thanks you guys, Some black and white photos, I like the vintage look!

T

Hey, Gogo--Thanks for posting the pix! We, too, had a great time but that's a given whenever The Tikiyaki Orchestra is in the hut. And thanks a mil for the awesome Wahine Bowl. Julia & me are looking forward to sharing more Mai Tais in it with you & Dani!

Killer event! A++ to all who labored. Really enjoyed meeting all the fine people at the table.

Viva Tikiyaki O!!!!

WOW - has it really already been a WEEK? Well, it did take about three days to recover... :wink:

Jeff's "appropriate background music" was just right, The Eliminators rocked (the tune Pool Party is a new favorite for us), and the Tikiyaki Orchestra delivered a first class performance, as always. As for the venue, Don's really outdid themselves with the festive ambiance, and like Mongoloid, I too had always longed to be at an event where they had balloons fall from the ceiling at midnight. Needless to say, I was totally geeked out when I saw them suspended above us!

The food couldn't have been more delicious, from the salad, all the way to the dessert (what I wouldn't give for one of those chocolate lava cakes at this moment). One might expect the quality of food to suffer a bit at an event of that magnitude, but that wasn't the case at all.

Marie absolutely lived up to her reputation as the hardest working woman in the tiki business, and it was clear that all of the Don's staff and management were jumping through hurdles to guarantee everyone's comfort. Mission accomplished, my friends!

Last, but not least, we were seated with a lovely mix of people (you know who you are!), and made some swell new friends as a result. Special props to Paul and Dana for providing all the combustible party favors. We DID have the best table. :wink:

We took pitifully few pics as our battery was near dead, but here's what we've got....

Happy New Year!

You know what I am realizing about the Event at Dons for NYE.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

ok so it was a bit of money,
But from all the reviews,
seems like it was a smashing success.
And Everybody had a great time,
and the Food,drinks,service,and music,were all spectacular.

Kudos to all involved, and to all who sacked up and actually payed and came.
You all rule!!

Jeff(btd)

Tikiyaki Airways flight 151 Departed 2009 Arrived 2010
Tikiyaki Airways Flight 151

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWugD8tIrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWSsmIAARo

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2010-01-23 20:15 ]

can we get a better Link Tim?

Jeff(btd)

O

Thanks Jeff. Right you are about getting what you pay for too. NYE at Don's to me was like that Mastercard commercial. Everything was stellar that cool night. Here is one of my favorites , Tikiyaki Orchestra playing their new Singapore Swing. Awesome song Tikiyaki!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNvtugYVRc

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2010-01-23 20:16 ]

Great Vids Tim,
thanks,

Jeff(btd)

;-/

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-09-14 08:57 ]

T

:)

[ Edited by: Tobor64 2010-09-14 09:21 ]

[ Edited by: Tobor64 2010-09-14 09:26 ]

Why is everyone making faces here? :P