Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TikiG's San Fernando Valley ART/CHOP - January 23rd

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

Is the chop still on? The weather looks like it won't be cooperating.

If it is on, can I get a count on people who would need a log to carve on at the chop this Saturday? I have 2 or 3 small logs that would be good for a beginner.

I have to haul them down the stairs and I want to make sure I don't have to haul any back up the stairs.

it's a gonna be a raining ALL WEEK!
Are we gonna have someplace dry to create over there,Greg?
if not...may i suggest MUD FOOTBALL
or WRASSLIN?

T

Hello TC-

If the rain is going to continue all week through Saturday then I am leaning towards postponing the chop for nicer weather.

If the weather cooperates with every-body, the drive okay and its dry on Saturday - then the chop proceeds as planned.

If you are planning on attending this, let me know what you think either way and I'll then I'll decide.

Thanks, Greg

H

Greg, what you said sounds good. Let us know how it goes on Friday. Geevadee, I will take a small one if you bring an extra one.

T

I can understand postponing due to rain, so let us know what you decide, Greg.

ANY SCOOP,G?

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 3:42 PM

Any good shipwrights want to try and carve an ark?

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 3:44 PM

I see Saturday's forcast for Sylmar is no rain...

THE CHOP IS ON!!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 3:45 PM

I see Saturday's forcast for Sylmar is no rain...

THE CHOP IS ON!!

Bueno! TikiG, do you need me to bring a easy-up? Let me know. ~ Cheeky

I'm in, weather permitting. I would appreciate a beginner log if anyone has extras. I have a couple chisels and some mystery wood logs I pilfered. Don't know if they're any good but, I'll bring em!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jan 20, 2010 2:07 PM

Cheeky - Please bring your EZ-Up shelter thingy just in case!

Thanks, Greg

I will bring two practice logs, they might be a little damp though. Can't keep anything dry out there this week.

Should we bring chairs?
Will there be a table Toe and I can work on?
Will this be outside/garage/inside?
Should we bring any food or drink?
What should we wear?
Is Jeff BTD gonna be there? :)

i think that's all the questions for now....

Man! Hope it dries out before Saturday....

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 7:29 AM

Kinny- I didn't see your post until this morning, sorry to get back here so late.

Answers to your questions:

1. I can always use chairs and folding tables.
  2. Yes, there will be a table where you and Toe can work.
  3. This chop will be indoors and there is plenty of backyard space w/electric hookup.
  4. Bring food if that's a concern. I'll have liquid refreshments.
  5. What to wear? Clothes. Bright colorful aloha stuff to salute warmer climes.
  6. BTD has been invited, but he has not confirmed.

Hope this helps. See everyone tomorrow.

If anyone needs more info, post here or PM me. Thanks, Greg

Luckys! I think I may have the time to make some art tomorow. I will just pretend that Im there hanging out with everyone.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 7:58 AM

Yay! Dawn will be with us in spirit - as I know others will be with us in spirit too.

No matter where you may be tomorrow if you can make some art, do so with enthusiasm and pride...we may then share our art works on this thread...post-Saturday chop.

This is an "International Invite" so tiki/art people outside of the States PLEASE PARTICIPATE! It is so cool to host the first International CHOP with proof, i.e. photos posted.

I'll have a laptop hooked-up, ready to post images nearly live.

I've got the whole gambit of art goin' tomorrow; Painting, sculpture, crafts, music etc.
Maybe a little cooking with home-made cookies or sumptin' :)

Will there be clowns?

besides Toe and Jeff BTD,of course!
:)

Will there be a smoking section?

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 8:25 AM

There will be clowns!

There will be balloons!

There is a smoking section! (but of course)

• the clown shown is very close to my personal favorite/horror - the Sellner Company clown decals placed on the back of old Tilt-A-Whirl tubs.

I'll be bringing my son with me so to make it easier on you G, we can bring our own fold-up table and chairs. I'm going to take 2 puffers with me and make lamps out of them -- picking up the lamp supplies tonight. Looking forward to it!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 9:09 AM

PolyPop - Pufferfish lamps? Holy crap! Now your talkin', man! I'm goin to watch this closely as I don't have any pufferfish lamps (yet!) but I have a feeling I'll be accumulating components real soon after watching you :wink:

Thanks for bringing your table and chairs too.

Puffer fish lamps! If they are for sale, I'll buy one! Love those lamps--so cute!

Okay, I'm going to be working with 4 x 6 panels, I'll bring my own chair and 4" folding table, and a 9' ext. I like to use when I'm working. I'll be the noisy one working with power...screwing up the zen of the chop. :)

As mentioned, I'll bring my ez-up, an extra horse, couple sets of chisels, mallets, and misc. things for people working on logs.

I haven't figured out what food to bring, but I'll bring something along with a sixer.

Oh, the only thing...do I have this right TikiG -- the chop starts at noon? Do I have the time right?

Mahalo and see ya tomorrow!

T

Noon is correct.

I have tons of errands to run tomorrow morning but I'll be ready to go at twelve.

Saturday is open all day and evening for those who may want to just kick-it after art for awhile.

Thanks for the bringing all your things, its greatly appreciated. And don't worry about the noise!! If its for tiki...its for real and that's part of the vibe.

See you tomorrow. Greg

Congrats again on this one, Greg! Should be a real blast~ Happy artsy/chopping everyone. Dawn & I will surely chug down there in spirit!

Cheers~
Andy

I'm UP!

gotta get ready and
gather up the Toe
for the BIG VOYAGE today!
See y'alls at da CHOP!

H

Cheekygirl and I are looking forward to seeing everyone today, see you soon..

and not a cloud in the sky!
:)

R

Hooray!
can't wait to see all you kids there :)

T

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-01-25 08:29 ]

Looking like I won't be able to get there until 3pm or so... but I've crafted my portable art set and will be drawing/painting the day away as soon as I can!

Awesome turnout at the SFV Chop! Still time to come on down! TikiG has tons of food.... you aren't here, and this is TOTAL BULLSHIT!

:P

Pics!

if you wanna see more... then that's just...

btw... it's the word of the CHOP... good stuff! We'll be here for hours, so feel free to chop on by!

[ Edited by: Melekalikimaka 2010-01-23 15:47 ]

R

total bullshit.

:lol:

OKAY OKAY....here are some more shots...

"It's not a chop until there's blood!"

"this is complete and utter bullshit!"

[ Edited by: Melekalikimaka 2010-01-23 17:23 ]

[ Edited by: Melekalikimaka 2010-01-23 17:25 ]

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Jan 23, 2010 7:16 PM

More pics from this afternoon.

This was a great day! To all participants, Thanks for making the chop a success -

• we should do this again. TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-01-23 19:19 ]

TH-TH-TH-TH-THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

BIGTOE

Thanks for hosting, TikiG! I had a great time trying to carve my Tiki Bob. Thanks everyone for your input and generosity with your tools. And, the kahlua pork and mai tais were excellent! Looking forward to the next one!

T

A MILLION MAHALOS to TikiG and Mele Kalikimaka for hosting a wonderful chop!!! And I actually got work done! Three pieces finished off, plus one started... And it was such an inspiration to be surrounded by so many talented tiki artists!!!

Had to head out way sooner than I wanted, but next time, I'll make sure Manuel comes out for all the fun too!

By the way, when is the next chop?!?!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jan 24, 2010 1:55 AM

Fun times, good people, good food. Thanks Steve for the Kahlua pork. YUMMY!!!!

Good Times. Thanks for hosting! Looking forward to doing this again!

H

Thanks for hosting such a great get together, let's do this again soon.

T

We had such a great time at The Chop! Being around so many talented artists for an afternoon was both inspiring & educational, and everyone was very accommodating with our perpetual "observer" status. Thanks, Greg, for a special afternoon full of mirth & mai tais!

B

Awww, it looks like you all ahd a blast! I wished I could have been there :(

YEAH! Congrats Mr. G & Melekalikimaka on an obviously successful jam. All that art, wow! Terrific pics, too, Greg - especially that group shot at the end. Right on~!

Andy

Dang! Looks like some of my favoritist people were there. Wish I had been, too. Miss you guys! Next time for sure...

I had a great time at the chop and I am looking forward to the next one.

Good times.

I had such a great time! Thanks TikiG for putting this together! I wish I was able to get there sooner, but it was great to hang out and be creative like with some great artists. Here is a closeup of my water color. Started out as a monkey, but kind of evolved into a zombie sea monkey. Wasn't able to finish the puffer fish, but when it's done hopefully it will look like the wall at the Tiki-Ti. Yes, it does look like the Grinch... damn movie has ruined the whole zombie sea monkey market ever since...

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies