Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jan 23, 2010 4:06 AM

From the House of Ming thread:

On 2009-04-08 10:56, Zeta wrote:
House of Ming Coffe grog mug

1965 Madrid Spain (trade or sell)

Replica of the replica.

Five continents in one artifact.
Mug made in Spain for a Chinese restaurant copied from another mug design based on African art for a Polynesian bar in America.
Another example of the TTT (Tiki Transmision Tradition). Or the "anything goes as long as it looks exotic" rule.

CA

yep.. i thought Zeta had the hot new favorite thread with indigenous tiki pics!... but No'p.... this one still rules all........

J

OK, I'm back. This time I have my elephant gun with me to deal with the hostile animals. :D

Here's some images of an operational Jungle-style bar that I discovered. So did I find this in LA (or even Las Vegas)?

Nope, I stumbled across it in terminal A of the Seattle Tacoma Airport. Sorry for the poor photo quality but I all I had was my smart phone camera.

This really should have been posted by someone local. C'mon you Pacific Northwest Tiki Centralites, let's get with it !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-25 06:57 ]

TM

Wow! That place is awesome!

Perfect for cold and rainy Tacoma. It would seem though that they could've come up up with one or two spears or SOMETHING to make that wall less bare...

CA

It only goes to show that it does not have to be 'Tiki' to F' things up by lack of funds, knowledge, and just trying to please everyone etc... Bland works for the bottom line. But if you can put a smile on your face for the native next to you, good on ya! as they say.

W

I tried to eat and/or get a drink at the Africa Lounge once. It made a lousy day at the airport an angry one. It was crowded but I found a seat. Waiters walked by me for ten minutes. So I stop one as he walks by and ask for a menu, he says sure and walks off. Fifteen more minutes pass. Nothing. So I sat at the bar. Bartender blew me off, I made eye contact and tried calling him over, he blew me off some more. Twenty-something minutes of trying to get any staff attention whatsoever later I gave up and left, since I was unable to elicit any response whatsoever from anyone working their.

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2010-01-26 08:17 ]

On 2010-01-18 10:01, Zeta wrote:

On 2010-01-17 12:31, professortiki wrote:
The photos for this cover of my band "Der Plan" were taken in 1988 in the original Harry's Hafenbazar, when it was still in the Bernhard-Nocht-Strasse. The album came out in 1989. The English translation of the title is "The Whip Of Life"

Der PlanMoritz R®FlickR®

[ Edited by: professortiki 2010-01-18 00:22 ]

Uber cool! I want a copy of that record!

act now- it's on ebay in c.d. format with free shipping!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-01-26 17:16 ]

...vintage native pebble art...picked these up at a salvation army.

..and this awesome pair of native wall hangings from the 50's from a local antique store....

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 26, 2010 6:40 PM

Thank you Tipsy! I saw the cd in ebay for 22 $US dollars. I would buy it, but they cut the cover in their CD version which is the main reason I want to buy it for.
Ouch!

CDs Suck!

Hey look down there :down:

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2010-01-26 20:02 ]

Bugs Bunny and a Penguin in 8 Ball Bunny.

I'd say that qualifies as * Jungle Style* even if it's in South America. It's weird how when I hear the word "Jungle" I immediately think of Africa but I think the jungles of South America and Asia are probably denser than the ones in Africa. Is this just an American thing since we don't really have any of our own? Or is it embedded in me because the idea of trekking through the jungles of South America seems like a muddy Mosquito filled headache where in Africa the idea of going on Safari, staying in a lodge and old British guys with monocles seems much more stress free. As for Asia the Tiger scene in Apocalypse Now or the idea of annoying Monkeys stealing my food pretty much means stay away to me. Africa it is!

Oh and also I refuse to call a Jungle by it's PC name "Rain Forest"

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2010-01-26 20:06 ]

A

For the Carl Stevens record posted earlier in Spanish, here's the full LP cover...

Another nice record cover, Deep in A Drum, I guess this is kind of vaguely jungle...

Also, one of my favorite graphical menu covers, from the Sahara's Congo Room. Dated September 6, 1954, with the annotation inside saying, "We will gladly mail you our menu... please leave your name at the front desk."

And lastly, I can't help posting this one.

-Randy

A

Oh, and how could we forget the "Jungle Rock" room at the Madonna Inn?!! Or Kona Rock, Caveman, Rock Bottom, Safari, etc.

-Randy

Randy, you are right, that Sahara Congo Room menu is one of the finest examples of mid-century modern pop primitivism around. How could we forget about that place here!: -----"Exquisite -- Exotic -- Enchanting!"----

The weird thing is that I have never seen any good interiors of this place, so I don't know to what degree it was really Congo-themed. Funny, because it saw a lot of action. And it is noteworthy that it still exists today, though I am sure in completely altered form:

The Sahara is the last remaining "Rat Pack" hotel, and is the northernmost resort on the east side of the Strip. The hotel was opened in 1952 by Milton Prell just outside of the City of Las Vegas, and was the sixth resort to open on the Strip. The resort was built by Del Webb. In late 1954, the hotel hired jazz musician Louis Prima to be their late night lounge act, one of the earliest ones on the strip. Along with his then wife Keely Smith and sax player Sam Butera, they created one of the hottest latenight attractions on the Strip.
In 1961, the hotel was purchased by Del Webb. In 1962, The hotel became known for featuring top performers over the years, including Tina Turner, the Beatles, Johnny Carson, and Ann-Margret. Fast forward to today, there is certainly no shortage of exceptional entertainment available at the Sahara Las Vegas Theatre, the Casbar Lounge and the Congo Room at the Sahara Vegas.

A

I think we tried to take a look at the Congo Room sometime around 2002. I think we found the little sign over a door in the hallway leading up to it, but not much else, and didn't get inside. Probably not so exciting a sight nowadays anyway, but it would be nice to see what it was like in the days of that menu.

-Randy

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 7:48 AM

On 2010-01-06 08:36, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2010-01-05 12:58, Mister Naufrago wrote:

Here´s one for Zeta. Old Spanish design and Miguel Covarrubias drawing
Amazing psychic connection between two artist from two countries?

Mister Naufrago,

Another interesting contribution to this thread. Thank you !!

What exactly is that thing on the left supposed to be?

Also where do the Spanish items (Tikis, mugs, etc) that you post originate from? Are they made in Europe?

Hey Mr. Naufrago, do you own one of these?
Here is mine:

Spanish vintage "exotic African" mug
How do you call this "thing"? The real one from Africa. I knew, I just can't find the piece of paper where I wrote it into.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 7:58 AM

Note that the face on my mug on the picture above is not black.

On 2010-01-06 10:58, Mister Naufrago wrote:
Gracias JOHN-O
"The thing" is a mug. :)
I previously posted a image of that mug (minus lid) on this thread.
That picture was taken in its natural environment, the jungle/tiki themed bar in Andalucia. Unfortunately the place is now closed.

It was used for a cocktail named something like "Mother-in-law Killer"
"A dreamy labyrinth of rum, juices and subtle spices from tropical paradises"
You are right. All these artifacts made in Spain and are from my collection.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 8:05 AM

In a Polinesian bar in La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind...

One small detail, the mug is HUGE.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.