Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

https://archive.org/details/jungle_stories_spring_1954_sheena_story_sword_of_gimshai

Sheena Queen of the Jungle story
the Sword of Gimshai
Jungle Stories Spring 1954

I'm confident the are many other wonders to be found in archive.org's ebooks/pulp section.

While researching jungle girl movies, I repeatedly encountered references to Jungle Film magazine. Turns out it was published from 1960 to 1968 in French, and was a fumetti comic which presented old jungle movies, mostly Bomba and Weissmuller flicks. Some repetition occurs because of reprints...

This is an excellent history of that magazine: http://bmania.pagesperso-orange.fr/Junglefilm0.htm

J

Not a "Tiki" bar, they call it an "Adventure" bar !!

Either way you know the drinks are gonna be GREAT. :)

Opening soon...

And I don't know about you but I miss that White Devil. :(

BigT those covers are wild!!! I was so in love with Johnny W. he WAS the jungle.

P

Ah, now this a thread I can get into.

An "adventure bar"!! That's a great idea. I have to persuade my gf to take drive out there one of these weekends.

I know it's off-tiki, but I also have a penchant for Indiana Jones movies, and bossa nova music.

In other words, if it's tropical and adventurous, I'm in!!

(I've also spent some time volunteering in Kenya; a different kind of adventure. Though I did go on safari, too.)

On 2014-05-10 15:54, PabTiki wrote:
Ah, now this a thread I can get into.

An "adventure bar"!! That's a great idea. I have to persuade my gf to take drive out there one of these weekends.

I know it's off-tiki, but I also have a penchant for Indiana Jones movies, and bossa nova music.

In other words, if it's tropical and adventurous, I'm in!!

(I've also spent some time volunteering in Kenya; a different kind of adventure. Though I did go on safari, too.)

Scallywag Ceramics makes a kifwebe tiki mug you might like. http://www.etsy.com/listing/182747654/kifwebe-tiki-mug-4-pack

P

Scallywag Ceramics makes a kifwebe tiki mug you might like. http://www.etsy.com/listing/182747654/kifwebe-tiki-mug-4-pack

Hi Lori: Haha, yes I've seen that mug. I wish it appealed to me a bit better, because it's definitely my "dream mug," haha!

Thank you for thinking of me! :)

J

No doubt this Torrance dive bar has undergone significant Jungle devolution since its heyday but what better way to encounter the type of wildlife that starts drinking before noon.

Their signature drink, the "Vulcan Mind Probe", contains both 151 and pineapple juice to satisfy undiscerning Tiki palates. :)

god, I love this thread!!!!

my jungle cruise inspired space, eventually it will take over the whole area!!!

[ Edited by: Pele Paul 2014-06-29 23:21 ]

I know this is not Tiki, so please don't burn me at the stake...but I love this thread. I am very drawn to your decor Paul...such a good mix and feel. The one thing that seems to represent "exotic" on so may levels is leopard print. It crosses over into many genres. Is that wrong...like fezes on monkeys (I love that too). There it's all over now I "get" Tiki but I am also passionate about leopard prints and monkeys in fezes.

Fabulous pictures in this thread...keep them coming. Those jungle comic book covers are fun!!!

PP

thanks so so much Vampiress !!! your my number #1 FAN and my FAV member!!!! Im with you! there will never be another Queen Betty Page, African tribal art and leopard print go hand and hand with Tikis!!!! cant have one without the other!!!! Thanks again for the kind words, I know I can always count on you to get me motivated to take more pix and re-arrange my space!!!!!

J

On 2014-06-30 15:37, VampiressRN wrote:
I know this is not Tiki, so please don't burn me at the stake...

On the Jungle-thread you don't get burned at the stake but you do get boiled alive in a pot. :)

On 2014-06-30 21:28, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2014-06-30 15:37, VampiressRN wrote:
I know this is not Tiki, so please don't burn me at the stake...

On the Jungle-thread you don't get burned at the stake but you do get boiled alive in a pot. :)

hahahaha unless your a missionary then your burned and then boiled!!

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2016 3:03 PM

Oh yeah here's a safari-themed bar in Lakewood CA that I checked out in 2014, the Zanzabuku...

Open in 1959, they say they used to have a tree growing from the middle of the bar to (through) the roof. Also the place was decorated with a gallery of wildlife paintings, a few of which still remain...

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2016 3:10 PM

This thread is so politically incorrect, cultural appropriation, white privileged... And I love it. In this day an age with outrage culture and social justice warriors, this could never happen. Why? regressive people get offended so easy! Intolerant tolerance... oh well... I better shut up now. Got self censorship?

John-O where are you?

On 2014-05-10 14:44, JOHN-O wrote:
Not a "Tiki" bar, they call it an "Adventure" bar !!

Either way you know the drinks are gonna be GREAT. :)

Opening soon...

And I don't know about you but I miss that White Devil. :(

Here's my Facebook album of the Longitude build for those who missed it.

It's a fun bar. Go check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152279332676240.1073741837.679291239&type=1&l=c6f878d59d

Ben that logo for Longitude is to highbrow for us rubes up in Washington... this is how low we flew.

T

On 2016-09-13 15:10, Zeta wrote:
This thread is so politically incorrect, cultural appropriation, white privileged... And I love it. In this day an age with outrage culture and social justice warriors, this could never happen. Why? regressive people get offended so easy! Intolerant tolerance... oh well... I better shut up now. Got self censorship?
John-O where are you?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-09-20 06:18 ]

T

Neat!

Haven't checked this thread out in a while. One of my favorites. Back in the day in San Diego, there was a drive-in on Midway. Saw many Tarzan movies there...loved Johnny Weissmuller. He had the best Tarzan call and the animals all loved him. Those movie posters are delightful.

T

Found another postcard from Congo Jungle in Houston. This one is courtesy of Boston Public Library:

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:zk51w026d

And a souvenir photo taken there. Looks like a mural with depictions of "native" huts in the background?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies