Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

J

Did anyone here ever visit the Jungleland (1956-1968) in Thousand Oaks ?

I have vague childhood memories of riding on an elephant there.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-11 15:30 ]

J

And how about the Jungle-themed rides? There was the Safari Ride at Pacific Ocean Park (1958-1967) in Santa Monica.

And Disneyland used to have a Jungle Cruise ride.

H

On 2009-12-11 14:35, JOHN-O wrote:
And Disneyland used to have a Jungle Cruise ride.

Used to?

On 2009-12-11 14:27, JOHN-O wrote:
Did anyone here ever visit the Jungleland (1956-1968) in Thousand Oaks ?

JOHN-O,

Here is a link to a great website with the full history of the Jungleland in Thousand Oaks. It turned into a skate punk place after it closed and now it is the City's Civic Arts Plaza! What a history.

http://www.junglelandskates.com/history.html

Here's a few photos from the website.

DC

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 4:01 PM

Anyone remember the "Lost River" (one of many names) dark ride at the Long Beach Pike?

It had a jungle theme interior but best of all the ride featured a mechanical monkey band at its entrance.

Rode this many many times as a kid. If anyone has a nice color view of the facade, please post it! A very rare image if you have one :)

Here are a couple of postcards from Jungleland

Keeping on the amusement theme, it seems as though there were a few bowling alleys with African inspired lounges.

Here are a matchbook from the Delta Bowl with a quasi African/PNG mask for he Kona Kove Lounge.

and the Tropic Bowl with the Elbo Room Mask

Cool ashtray from the Safari Room at the Plaza Lanes in San Jose (on ebay).

Found this little bit of history on the place. Would be nice to see a picture.

"Catalana is best known in San Jose for bringing an eye-popping array of talent to the Safari Room (1962 - 1968), a bustling club he conceived, designed and managed that adjoined an East San Jose bowling alley, Plaza Lanes, owned by his good friend and business associate, Victor LoBue.

Located at the corner of Story and White Roads, the Safari Room welcomed a veritable Who's Who of pop music and jazz through its doors. Wayne Newton, Della Reese, Nancy Wilson, Jack Jones, The Righteous Brothers, Pearl Bailey, Sophie Tucker, Louie Prima, Duke Ellington, Mel Torme, The Supremes, Perez Prado, Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto, Roger Miller, Sarah Vaughan, Frankie Laine, Anita O'Day and Trini Lopez all played the Safari Room.

DC

J

How about the Jungle Island that used to be part of Knott's Berry Farm?

They even had Tikis there !! :D

Not much in the way of jungle goodness in my collection but here are a couple. First is a great issue of For Men Only from 1956 (jungle orgy of murder and lust)

A great photo folder from Silver Springs from the mid 50's. One of my favorite finds.

Here it is out of the folder. They even had a burger stand in the jungle.

TM

On 2009-12-12 16:50, JOHN-O wrote:
How about the Jungle Island that used to be part of Knott's Berry Farm?

They even had Tikis there !! :D

and how it looks now:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30585&forum=1&hilite=my first attempt

J

This poor thread is running out of steam. :(

Maybe this will help.....

Vintage LP

Vintage Jungle Pictures

Modern compilations

And here's something for the TC ladies...

Or is it time to start the Witco discussion?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-17 07:36 ]

those 2 cds above are great party music.
get them, if you can find them.

Jeff(btd)

TM

Good fonts on both of these ~

TK

very interesting thread here. there was a lion country safari in florida also. i remember going there as a kid. tour in you car. as some1 posted, you couldn't do this now thanks to lawyers and the PC groups that would whine scream bitch and moan. silver springs is still operating today. they still have the famous jungle cruise. the monkeys that are there are actual decendents of escapees during filming of some "tarzan" movies. when you board the boat for a cruise you are warned they will steal anything they can grab, glasses, cameras, whatever is available. there was a very expensive nikon hanging about 45' up in a tree. the gators keep the monkeys on the island they live on. monkey in they water = gator bait.

J

Monkeys and lions are nice, but how about some mid-century "Jungle" pulp art.....

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-17 09:07 ]

TM

J

LV,

Brother, you screwed the pooch on this one. :lol: Katharine Hepburn is the anti-Exotica girl. :(

Quick, someone post some Lex Baxter album covers !!

I'll give you a pass, but next time......

I met this classy señorita wearing an amazing primitive African art printed jumpsuit in Madrid´s asphalt jungle.
I chased her through several streets taking pictures in my best paparazzo style.

Remarkable, isn´t it?

Yes I´m a geek.
Well, at least I refrain myself from asking her where did she bought it and hurry to buy one for me.

On 2009-12-17 09:52, JOHN-O wrote:
LV,

Brother, you screwed the pooch on this one. :lol: Katharine Hepburn is the anti-Exotica girl. :(

Quick, someone post some Lex Baxter album covers !!

I'll give you a pass, but next time......

But that's what makes it so cool, though!

here is this white-bread Methodist missionary, alone in the jungle with only a rough hewn river rat to accompany her..it's the classic jungle story, (except she is not a hottie like all the other girls on this thread!)

J

On 2009-12-17 09:57, Mister Naufrago wrote:

I met this classy señorita wearing an amazing primitive African art printed jumpsuit in Madrid´s asphalt jungle.....

Careful there Mister Naufrago, I got spanked by the BigBro when I misidentified his Oceanic spear & shield Aloha shirt as being African Pop Primitive. Who's to say your posted picture isn't representative of Mayan iconography?

Does anyone here have a phd in primitive cultures? We need your educated opinion.

You've heard of urban archeology? This is fashion anthropology. :)

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.