Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A New Trader Vic's - open Monday!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies

C

In Sarasota.....

This is the first of the new concept restaurants for Vic's - called Trader Vic's Island Bar & Grill - more affordable & casual menu.

Here's a news clip from YouTube where you can get a look at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r93uR9GCVRM

I'm intrigued......

Ummm..... I'm not diggin it.

It looks like the interior was copied from Island Burgers (A chain on the west coast) http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/ but with a few more tikis. I mean, there is even one of those tiki guitars on the wall at the 25 second mark. Kind of looks like a place that would have a wider variety of margaritas than rum drinks. Maybe Cabo Wabo in Vegas is doing so well, Vic's decided to copy.

Ugh.

Hey, it's Sven K(och)! Sven is a great guy, I wish him and the T.V. company much success with their new concept, the "affordable" track is definitely the way to go. And it DOES look like a cross between "Islands" and "Trader Vic's", especially in those shots with the wall full of pop stuff, and because of that logo, which is very 80s looking. Well, as long as they don't put back the beer neon signs, like they did at the restaurants in the 80s. :D

A

Funny, it's as if the company is trying to keep this one under the radar. It doesn't appear to have its own web site, and there's no mention of this location on the TV web site. Hmmmm....

No Lauhala, float lights or blowfish? is this the future for Trader Vic's ?

G

Well... I wish them well too, especially in this economy. And I hate to judge based on one news clip, but from what I can see, this definitely isn't your father's Trader Vic's. It looks a lot like the (now defunct, thank god) Destin (FL) Trader Vic's, except even more flip-flop Florida beach-style.

K

Shane Brewer, formally of Dallas TV, is in management at that location. Saw him for a brief second in that clip.

This is also the business model Dallas is considering. We already have a Joe's Crab Shack.

Join the Texas Tiki Mailing List for updates on any tiki happenings in the Lone Star State!

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-01-16 19:53 ]

This place is literally within crawling distance from my house !!

O.K. folks... I just got back from a pre-opening visit and the management and staff was extremely friendly and likable.

I can smell the purists debate and grousing already and I'm not so sure I am going to agree with some of the discontent. Keep an open mind please. These places are not operating for US, the "Tiki Community". I have an interview lined up with the manger and possibly owners. I have some questions lined up and will take any from here if you wish to be quoted...ask away.

I will say this much... I enjoyed myself and had a top notch 1944 Mai-Tai !

More to come....

BTW, I met Shane and He seemed like a very nice guy.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-16 21:54 ]

Why are they even using the name Trader Vic's? It looks nothing like a Trader Vic's, and from what it sounds like, the menu wont be like Trader Vic's either. Most people who like Trader Vic's, probably will be disappointed with this place. And people who enjoy this place, probably wont even know what Trader Vic's is. So why use the name? They might as well call this place Kowabunga Fred's or something. From the looks of it, this place looks straight out of a Corona commercial. And their decor.. a "Surf's Up" sign, a Corona sign, a pineapple head tiki and that "Swordfish Charters" sign.... I think I saw that at Ross. I don't know, I just don't see how this place will catch on. Maybe it will in some areas, I don't know. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, it looks like Island Burgers. And now with these other pics, it also reminds me of Rubio's Baja Grill or Wahoo Fish Tacos.

I hope they don't put one of this here in SoCal. Would everyone who travels down to downtown LA to go to Trader Vic's, travel down there for this? Would you skip all the Island Burgers, Rubios, Wahoos, etc... between your house and downtown LA just because it has "Trader Vic's" in the name?

If this place was named Kowabunga Fred's or something and didn't have Trader Vic's in the name, people on TC probably wouldn't even notice it. I just don't see the need for need for another Chili's, Applebee's, Friday's type place.

K

On 2010-01-16 21:51, Bohemiann wrote:

BTW, I met Shane and He seemed like a very nice guy.

Shane is awesome. He's very much missed in Dallas....well maybe not so much now since they're closed.

I have to agree with Tiki Shaker though, based on the pics this place looks just like everywhere else. Certainly no escapism there. If the food and drinks are good that's certainly a plus, but it ain't Trader Vic's.

The fact is there is no making some of you people happy. I get tired of the knee jerk bashing here sometimes.

You want it to fit into your pre-conception of what YOU think it should be. Personally I cannot afford to go to Trader Vics and eat and drink on a regular basis but I can afford this place and it is honestly more kid friendly and I like that. No..it is not as decked out and upscale as traditional TV's. Yes ! So far from the drinks I was served, they are up to standards.

This concept is going to allow for more openings and more people will be able to experience it and the great drinks... which in turn will increase interest among some. Is it watered down a bit ....sure. but it is because you are comparing it to the Trad. Trader Vics. It's a NEW concept. If this went up under another name it would not be so controversial to you and once you actually visited and experienced it, rather than arm-chairing, you might find yourself with a good drink, decent food, having a good time with friendly people.

I have traveled the world visiting Tiki Bars and quite a few Trader Vics among them. Compared to some Dives I have visited that are celebrated as tiki bars this one measures up, and indeed exceeds, in several categories.
It comes down to this for me:

Drink Quality
Ambiance
Food Quality
Service
Aloha

So far I am happy and, no offense to Tim at the Bahi Hut, It beats anything I have within a three hour drive. I finally have a place to go that makes a proper Mai-Tai. I will report back more but felt compelled to weigh in. I think some of you are to harsh and to quick to judge and ....to demanding that it fits neatly into your idea of what it should be. I approach life with more Aloha and, quite frankly, I visit TC less and less because some of the discourse tends to stray from that spirit. I appreciate that you may have another opinion but.... does there have to be so much... malice and negativity. Seriously people, shouldn't we be more open minded, accepting, and objective? The place has not even opened it's doors yet!

BTW, last time I was in London at TV I spent over $800.00 for dinner and drinks on a table of 4. One can't do that everyday even if it was in ones backyard. I this economy to have openings instead of closings... to have more good places to get a great Mai-Tai instead of less....

Aloha Trader Vic's Bar and Grill! I hope some of you join me for a Mai-Tai and we will have a good time, drink, laugh, and celebrate life and the propagation of Tiki and the Aloha spirit!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-17 05:29 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-17 05:34 ]

B

Nice photos Bo, thanks for posting everything. I would much rather see a bit of tiki than none at all and I can't wait to visit the West coast again and see this new tiki joint!

On 2010-01-16 22:17, Tiki Shaker wrote:
people on TC probably wouldn't even notice it. I just don't see the need for need for another Chili's, Applebee's, Friday's type place.

See, this is how fights get started on TC...... A bunch of people with strong opinions react to the first tiny shreds of information about some place new.

First, you (the royal You as in every reading this) are too far away from the place to ever go there.

Second, Trader Vic's Corp isn't building this place for you (The You that is the collection of TC members).

I am excited to have this new idea open because I might actually be able to make a visit (get the spare bedroom ready guys!).

I am excited that the Trader Vics Corporation is trying new things. I haven't heard anyone saying bad things about Senior Pico's and that is a Trader Vic's Property, so why are all of you who are thousands of miles away.... shut up. Your not going to a customer of this new concept so STFU! The locals are excited, at least some of them are. You don't like it, but your not ever going to be there, so shut up and let me like it.

And PS.... I think all of your Island Burgers, Rubios, and Wahoos are funny looking and smell bad. I fart in their general direction and taunt them with a french accent.

Now, I've had my morning rant.... thanks for listening. Who wants to meet us at the new Trader Vic's? And when?

K

On 2010-01-17 05:16, Bohemiann wrote:
The fact is there is no making some of you people happy. I get tired of the knee jerk bashing here sometimes.

Friend, I'm just stating my first impressions based on the pics you posted. There's no denying that places with this concept are a dime a dozen and there is NO escapism here. To me, escapism is at the top of the list of important aspects of a good tiki bar and I just don't see it. If stating my opinion on this thread was the wrong thing to do then I apologize to everyone.

Kenike, I respectfully disagree that this establishment fits the "Dime a Dozen" corner you have prematurely placed it in. Like I said I have been around the block and I am giving you my first hand account. I respect your opinion and would not want to stifle or discourage open-minded discussion. It feels like sometimes first reactions tend to be pessimistic and elitist rather than celebratory and accepting. I come here to celebrate Tiki and I applaud these efforts and celebrate the boon it has brought to our local economy as do the all the peeps with badly needed new jobs.

I'm looking forward to sitting on the outside deck with the Tiki Torches overlooking the water and soaking up quality drinks with my Friends and Ohana!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-17 07:10 ]

Of course it is escapism, just over towards the Soggy Dollar Bar end of the scale.

I think this is a smart move by TV and a better concept than the Mai-Tai Lounge. Accessible, cheaper to operate, better ROI if it takes off. They could pipeline a whole generation of new customers with places like this and get them to shift over to the flagship restaurants as they grow older.

On 2010-01-17 06:49, Kenike wrote:

[ To me, escapism is at the top of the list of important aspects of a good tiki bar

I can say that all of Tiki Central agrees with you.

Your opinion on the matter is appreciated and thank you for contributing to the conversation.

But!

Look again. This project from Trader Vic's is not a Tiki Bar, is not packaged as a Tiki Bar, is not presented as a Tiki Bar, and is not in California. Or Texas. Or New York. Or Chicago. Or any of the 'usual' suspects.

It is the Trader Vic's Island Bar and Grill. And it is in Sarasota Florida.

Opine all you like, but process the information provided first. Reactionary responses (like mine above) are how fights get starts on TC.

You have every right to be happy about having a good Mai Tai source and hang out in your neighborhood, Bohemian. This is the age old clash between believers and fans of the ARTFORM of Tiki, and those who are mainly interested in

Bohemiann wrote:
Compared to some Dives I have visited that are celebrated as tiki bars this one measures up, and indeed exceeds, in several categories.
It comes down to this for me:

Drink Quality
Ambiance
Food Quality
Service
Aloha

Please remember TC is not a restaurant review site, there are MANY other sites for that. This site is primarily about Tiki CULTURE.
The above qualities (leaving out "Ambience" for the moment) ARE indeed all the reasons why any normal person would like a restaurant. Thing is, Tiki Centralites are not "normal". They are a strange breed who (some of them) actually PREFER dive bars, (or old, authentic, aged environs with patina), I again quote from my intro to Tiki Road Trip:

"The criteria for the search of a Tiki establishment are quite different than those for any other restaurant.
Humility in the face of the rarity of the few remaining Tiki temples is a good attitude. Do not expect epicurean sensations, and if you want friendly family service, go to IHOP. This is urban archeology, and if the carpet is stained and the blowfish lamps are mummified from forty years of nicotine, appreciate the place as if it was King Tut’s tomb, it is not supposed to be Starbucks."

Now this just to explain a difference in criteria between some folks who primarily (and they have every right to) want that Drink Quality/Food Quality/Service/Aloha thing, and those of us who primarily appreciate Tiki style as an art form. And, mind you these two things are not mutually exclusive (even though it sometimes feels that way). Off course we all would like nothing better than to have all under one roof.

Many here have fallen in love with Tiki through books and images like mine, which for the first time depicted the uniqueness and creativity of Tiki Style in its heyday. It is THAT quality of inventiveness, complexity, and distinctiveness that made them fall in love with Tiki, and that is missing in today's world in so many ways. Now, calling on YOUR objectivity, is the above place a place you would fervently "fall in love with"?

I am fully aware that we are a minority, and that restaurants have to survive, and that customers can't all be expected to know the "manual" of Tiki (especially if it's out of print) :), but that will not keep us from fighting the good fight for a style that initially got us here in the first place.

There are many who really don't SEE the difference between the above place and classic Tiki style. This site is here to point it out.

Thanks BigBro,

I appreciate your perspective and I don't mean to be overly sensitive. I certainly prefer The Mai-Kai's and the Forbidden Islands and the dark traditional Dive bars first (as long as the drinks are good!) I would be less likely to take my kids to the BAHI HUT or ALIBI so that will be a nice option and my Kids love Tiki as well. We will see how TV proceeds and what else they plan to bring to the table with this Bar & Grill experience, I have heard some thoughtful plans are in the mixer. The doors are not open yet and they are still bringing in decor and ideas. The outside patio has great potential and the Tiki Torches will be nice on all these chilly Florida nights! hehehehe!

To be honest I just get tweaked at negativity and it has less to do with what the topic happens to be. Uh-Oh...am I being negative about negativity....Doh! Damn...I got sucked down.....

A bright and shiny Aloha Everyone 2010 is going to kick ass !!!!!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-17 07:29 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-17 07:34 ]

Oh, and now just seeing some NEW angles of the place, especially these two:

...it does look like it has some more traditional elements than previous photos made it seem, and thus it could serve as a way to ease the general public into an appreciation of the style. Make them feel at home with Cabo Wabo decor elements, and sneak in some Chinese tile and Tapa wallpaper! :) Sorry, but one can only judge by what one sees, never having been there. And being judgmental is always being non-objective.

But please, oh Tiki, just don't let them wreck a classic site like the Dallas Vic's like that!

Oh, and last not least, one of the greatest ironies in this repeatedly ongoing debate is the often forgotten fact that, while we bemoan the "cookie-cutter" and "uniform chain" look of places like Cabo Wabo, Trader Vic's IS, and always has been, just that, a chain. And their decor, in fact ALL Tiki restaurants decor, has been adhering to a certain set of elements that was repeated throughout the U.S. and beyond. Mean spirits might even call it cookie cutter :) In fact, critics of the style in its heyday did. :( !!!???

The difference though is that back in the day there was a greater understanding, because of a direct context to the first experience of Polynesian culture, and a greater breadth of individual interpretation and creativity in the style, creating very complex and unique examples, --aided by more money to invest in it! It is this creative, almost artistic genius that was not noticed and appreciated back then, and that we always hope to find in today's Tiki revival.

It is a miracle that Trader Vic's has persisted successfully in this this far, and fights the good fight, whichever way they can. They deserve our every support --but that will not keep us from voicing our educated opinion. :)

C

You know, I almost didn't start this thread here on TC.

Why, you ask?
Because of some of the earlier posts on this thread - super negative nay-saying without seeing a damn thing but a small news clip. The unwillingness to open your minds &, instead, jump to the worst possible conclusions without even giving it a chance.

As others above have said, what the hell happened to the spirit of ALOHA!?!?!?

That doesn't mean that we have to all agree & not state our opinions. Not at all. But we should be doing so respectfully, which IS reflected in some of the comments above. Instead of negative nelly-ing before you really know much of anything.

And - there was a comment above about this idea NOT being targeted at the "tiki crowd". That is dead on. It's obvious that it is targeted at a much broader audience, whom can introduced to real tiki with a bit of Trader Vic's spirit intact. AND.....importantly...a properly made cocktail. Imagine....a MaiTai not made with Pineapple juice in towns around the U.S. like Sarasota, FL! For those of us who don't happen to live toward the Western side of the U.S., it is often a very, very long drive to be able to experience Tiki escapism AND a damn good cocktail. You certainly don't get either at said chains that have been brought-up in this thread. But it looks like you're going to get a bit of that at a Trader Vic's Island Grill, which would be a welcome oasis for many of us with little tiki in our backyard. It won't be perfect for the purist, particularly since it went into an existing space & was adapted (vs. built from scratch). One thing I can't wait to see what it looks like in the evening!!! :D

And, ultimately, if it introduces people to the Trader Vic's brand & concept, which, over time, leads to more business for the flagship, traditional Trader Vic's such that it helps them to keep the lights on & the doors open, well, that's great!

Trader Vic's has been around long before anyone on this board has been into Tiki.
If the good people at Trader Vic's are willing to give this new concept, rooted in what Trader Vic's "is", then the least we can do is open our minds to how good it could be (particularly relative to the other totally sucky restaurants in this same dining "space").

I just hope they put an Island B & G in the mid-Atlantic area. If this concept works and provides decent cocktails with a decent amount of tiki it could become the "gateway drug" to generate more general excitement about tiki and poly-pop. Thanks for being our boots (or flip-flops) on the ground for this Bohemian.

C

On 2010-01-17 07:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is a miracle that Trader Vic's has persisted successfully in this this far, and fights the good fight, whichever way they can. They deserve our every support.

Absolutely!!! They do deserve our every support!

We should all be thrilled that Trader Vic's is still around when all of their brethren from the heyday of tiki in the 50's is long gone

Thank you for this, bigbro.

Gern geschehen! :)
But I don't agree with your assessment of negativity here. This site is not just a back-slapping, all-Tiki-is-peachy fest.
If they decide to design a sing that makes Trader Vic's look like Joe's Crab Shack, we have to be able to call it out here.

Or do you like the new Holiday Inn sign, too? :wink:

A lot of Americans seem overly sensitive to any form of constructive criticism, generalizing it as "negativity". That becomes un-constructive.

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-sided-Relentless-Promotion-Positive-Undermined/dp/0805087494

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-17 12:59 ]

Moving on and On a happy note......

I will be at the Opening Tomorrow and will be able to give some first hand feedback on more drinks and the food. I too am looking forward to seeing the night perspective and seeing what was in those big boxes yet to be un-wrapped !

Oooh , just saw your Holiday Inn Sign.... what a piece of crap ! I will never stay there and I hope one does not go up here !!1 I like the OLD SIGN !!! Burn It DOWN! Said with a smile and a cocktail!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-17 09:41 ]

OGR

Truly the "GREAT SIGN"...sorry for the slight derail.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-01-17 10:39 ]

On 2010-01-17 06:37, Benzart wrote:
Nice photos Bo, thanks for posting everything. I would much rather see a bit of tiki than none at all

I'm with the other Ben!
At first I was....huh? what are they doing now..
but, anything is better than nothing!!!
(especially if it's what I do for a living :wink:

Despite the fact that it all looks a little "bright" for me, I'd take one here in Kansas City in a heartbeat! It would instantly become the BEST tiki-type establishment in the area!

Is that REALLY the actual sign for Margaritaville !? That's tooo funny! :D

I told ya, it's a subversive strategy! They are doing to Buffet-ization what Buffet-ization did to them!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-17 13:04 ]

O.K. I admit it...That IS pretty funny ! damn-it....

I would be happy if they opened one of these TV's B&G places here. We have nothing that resembles tiki in the slightest. I would rather have a Forbidden Island or Don the Beachcombers here, but I doubt that would happen. Being that Sacto is a college town, this new concept would catch on. Maybe a few would get into the tiki scene, maybe others would try a full-on TV's if they were near one. I would just like to have a good mai tai near a tiki in a bar. With friends.

TV's is part of a dying breed of restaurants where service came first. Too bad. But if the B&G is what keeps the chain afloat and introduces newer generations to TV's then I'm all for it.

But I do wish it was more tiki than Margaritaville.

But beggars can't be choosers. So bring on the watered down TV's!! Open a TV's B&G in Sacramento! Maybe other chains will start tikifying if they see TV's new concept catching on! It's not replacing our old Trader Vic's, but adding to the whole genre. It's tiki for the masses, but it's better than no tiki!

:drink:
Tacky

G

A lot of Americans seem overly sensitive to any form of constructive criticism, generalizing it as "negativity". That becomes un-constructive.

Amen, brother Sven. I don't want to belabor the point, but I do want to ask everyone to respect the opinions of others and not instantly slam them as negative and elitist (hate that word) just because they don't agree with yours. Several of the people who have posted on this thread I know and call my friends. And I will share a drink and a smile with them any time. But please see the other side of the coin for a moment and understand that when some of us see "Trader Vic's" stamped on something, there is a certain expectation. That expectation, to those who have had the privilege of visiting these places, is (to name two that are still in existence in the States) a place like Trader Vic's Atlanta or Emeryville. The richness, the exotic, the complete escapism to a faraway land, coupled with an uncompromising quality and exemplary service. That for me is Trader Vic's and honestly, anything else is a compromise for me. You may have a completely different opinion on the matter and I am perfectly fine with that and I do not want to judge anyone on their opinion. But please do not call people "negative" or "elitist" just because they like what they like. Doing so makes you elitist in reverse.

Okay... back to this place in Sarasota! I really do wish them well. Honestly. But my personal opinion only based on these pictures is that it looks like a dozen other places in Orlando. Find a theme park (which I happen to like) and you'll find a place that looks like this. Bahama Breeze comes to mind. I'm not slamming the place and not being "negative", just voicing an opinion on the pictures I've seen. They don't excite me. Sorry.

Now, if some of my friends on this thread invite me over to this Trader Vic's to have a Mai-Tai and a few laughs, I'll do my best to be there in a heartbeat, but just don't be disappointed if I'm not overly enthusiastic about the place.

Cheers friends. :D

Rob,

Point taken... My comment was based not just on this thread but on a few years of noticing a trend of negative vibes and comments rather than positive. I think efforts to expand Tiki bars deserves encouragement not disdain. It just strikes me that often comments START from that position rather than come to it based on experience or the full measure of information. It's a tough crowd brother.

Here is another "For Instance" My good friend DAVID LANDRY, may he rest in peace, a tiki carver who got me interested in Tiki in the first place, posted some of his carvings here years ago and was slammed for his "DAYGLOW" tikis. It really upset him and his girlfriend and was personally embarrassing for me because I had told him about this wonderful FRIENDLY tiki community. He had other tikis that where more traditional that nobody ever got to see because he never came back here, he was an AWESOME and talented human being and he had A LOT to offer us all and was met with some pretty sharp and downright rude and hateful comments NOT Aloha.

It's O.K. to have high standards and an opinion but often comments come off as uncompromising and ... a little harsh and every once in awhile the comments are hurtful or discouraging to those who might be involved with what is discussed. One can be a "Purist" and be nice or one can be an "Elitist" and hold others in disdain for contrary thoughts or deviations from ...whatever... and BOTH exist here on these forums.

Its an experiential reaction, Pavlovs Poster. Yes, the term elitist is a hard one and was not specifically meant for any one person posting here, but there is no doubt the term can often be applied if you ask those of us that have experienced some form of patronization for a contrary, more accepting, position. I'm o.k. with a "purist" but have no tolerance for the kind of judgmental elitism David and others have endured here.

People at TV and others not embedded in the culture are reading these posts as well and I wonder if the impression they take away are of a Friendly supportive community who love Tiki and Polynesian culture, who exemplify the ALOHA spirit and are encouraging and CONSTRUCTIVE in their comments.

Dont get me wrong...I would rather have a TRUE TV or an FI next door but.... Damn Skippy I will take this one and I am actually thankful that it wont break my wallet and I can share this experience with my 7 and 9 year old girls. There is a place in our world for BOTH this concept AND the True Blue and Purist or not I would not take my kids to the Bahi Hut or Alabi! I have been told that this TV concept will be FAMILY centric and I think this is a VERY important distinction and consideration, after all THEY are the future of Tiki.

Hey Man ! You ARE my friend and I look forward to seeing you again and sharing a Mai-Tai.... anywhere! Matter of fact... I think you need to come on over, there is always an open door here for you and your family to visit ! I smell a CARVING JAM on the horizon!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-18 04:02 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-18 04:22 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-19 13:53 ]

Moving here to Atlanta from L.A. was a big change! I don't see any TIKI.....
We have one of the best Trader Vics, and now the Bookhouse pub (Tiki bar outside) But after that nothing!
I would love for one of these to open here in Marietta, Woodstock, ETC....
Just try to find Tiki Mugs out here! UGH!

Anyway, I love the Lounge, But if I can get a quick Tiki fix I'll take it!

Cheers from Tiki Limbo y'all!

Bob

[ Edited by: Sideshow Bob 2010-01-18 05:06 ]

[ Edited by: Sideshow Bob 2010-01-18 05:20 ]

Bob,

Do ya know if Paul is still pouring at the ATL TV ? I used to get up there more and miss it!

I don't know why but the TV in Scottsdale always stands out as one of may favorites, even though it is a bit more Mod... I think the outside patio area with the water feature made a nice impression. All time fav. Hands down the one in Chicago at the Palmer House which closed. :(

I was NOT very fond of the TV in Vegas which missed all the targets.

The ability for Personal Experiences and Social Interactions often have a large influence on my critiques as well. Some places can overcome shortfalls just because they have a warm and friendly atmosphere and allow for the comfort of taking a chance on engaging others. I travel a lot so end up going solo most of the time when I am exploring tiki bars. This was one of the reasons I gravitated here in the first place. I always found that TIKI bars made for the richest and friendliest interactions and I found TC by researching places to visit.

G

Bill, I completely agree that there is no room on Tiki Central for hateful comments or snobbish, rude behavior. And I've seen it too over the years (and I dearly hope that none of my posts have ever been taken as such). But best not to let a few people spoil the party. Fill a room full of random people and someone is going to act that way. Tiki Central is no exception. I have other good friends who are still deeply into tiki, but don't participate on Tiki Central anymore because that kind of behavior did spoil the party for them. And that's a shame. But I see that negativity and "elitist" behavior as the exception, not the rule here.

Here's my biggest beef about the use of the "Trader Vic's" name for a concept like this... it dilutes the image/brand. No longer does Trader Vic's mean what it used to. If there were no other old school traditional Vic's left, I'd just be lamenting the loss of a great old chain. But they do still exist and I think this new concept hurts those still in existence. I could be wrong, but I would imagine the people who run the traditional, higher end Vic's restaurants cringe when they see the Trader Vic's logo on this new place. I'd have no problem with it if they'd just call it something else. To use an analogy, to many of us, a Mai-Tai means rum, lime, curacao, orgeat and sugar. Toss in some grenadine and pineapple juice and it's no longer a Mai-Tai, it's something else. It may be good and people may like it, but call it something else or you dilute the meaning of the name Mai-Tai and people start to forget what a real Mai-Tai is. That's my problem with calling a fun, bright, casual, family-friendly place a Trader Vic's.

Sven through his books and many others through Tiki Central and other outlets try very hard to get people to remember what Tiki Style (copyright Sven Kirsten :wink:) meant in the mid-20th century. Putting the Trader Vic's name to this restaurant concept hurts that effort IMHO. Eventually, people will forget that there ever was a more elegant and exotic Vic's. Otherwise, I really have no problem with it. I've been to many places that look like this and enjoyed it for what it was. But it would have spoiled that enjoyment if any of those places had called themselves Trader Vic's or Don the Beachcomber.

And... I'll take you up on that offer. Carving jam? I'll bring my shaker! :D

On 2010-01-17 13:03, bigbrotiki wrote:

Is that REALLY the actual sign for Margaritaville !? That's tooo funny! :D

I told ya, it's a subversive strategy! They are doing to Buffet-ization what Buffet-ization did to them!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-17 13:04 ]

I hope this earlier thread comparing Las Vegas TV with Las Vegas Margaritaville didn't influence the design of the sign. I was kidding around, this place looks much better and when they have the tapa, floats and puffers will be even better. The outside reminds me of the original location, Hinky Dink's a little and I'd love to see a night shot with the Tiki torches next to the water.
In all honesty, you all do have to admit, the Las Vegas Margaritaville did look better than the Las Vegas Traitor Vic's.
So before you start slamming this one, let's remember Las Vegas and see the good in Florida. Just my not so humble opinion.:wink:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=31425&forum=1&start=45&hilite=trader%20vic%27s%20death%20watch

AND they are still unpacking......

The TV in Vegas was disappointing but the outside deck did have a great view.

Glad to hear Paul is still in ATL. Be up to see ya soon Sideshow !

The TV in London... the drinks had quite a bite !

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-18 10:23 ]

Ouch on those Tikis, poor misbegotten children of an out-sourced art form they are.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 18, 2010 9:14 PM

...And I still don't like it.
Sorry, but for me, Tiki HAS to be a bit scary, dark, mysterious, very sophisticated... Specially if it's called Trader Vic's. This bar is too normal for my standard. So there, this place is officially NOT approved by Zeta. Please don't hate me!

What's wrong Sven? You always say, in order for a place to be TIki, it must have Tikis! :wink:

Great debate in this thread. I can see both sides and am quite torn. Is there such a thing as a populist purist?

Of course, in Florida we have so many restaurateurs and bar owners with an insidious tendency to declare their establishments a "tiki bar" when in fact they couldn't be more off the mark. There are dozens of these establishments in South Florida giving Tiki a bad name and I avoid them like the plague. Props to Tiki Road Trip for pointing out this odd behavior: http://www.tydirium.net/tiki/florida.html

So in that context, I welcome the new Trader Vic's concept. If it somehow raises the bar for these faux Tiki bars, hallelujah! However, I am seriously worried about the future of the beloved, unadulterated Tiki bar as envisioned by Vic. Is Mr. Bergeron flipping in his grave? Maybe half a flip. But let's not jump to too many conclusions yet.

Bohemiann, I can't wait hear more details and see more photos, especially the night shots. At least there's now a reason to travel to Sarasota :>) ... You just need to pry me away from the Mai-Kai.

Well its better than anything we have in Oz, we don't have any Tiki bars, I had to build my own! I would go there if it was here! and its early days for this place, who knows what it will be like in a couple of years.
Trader Bob

Yeah, gotta admit...if one was brought to Columbus, Ohio - I'd prolly go to it. As has previously been mentioned...I'd prefer a Forbidden Islands or Mai-Kai, but unfortunately all we currently have is a couple Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurants, some beach themed bars and a bunch of Chinese Restaurants that start to look kinda tiki after downing many watered down drinks and squinting when you look around the room. Somebody PLEASE open a real tiki bar/restaurant here!

TT

Since I'm relatively new here on TC, I only ask that you all be kind (just kidding, I can take it).

I'm just happy that there is now a place within driving distance that I can get a real Mai Tai in a real Trader Vic's glass. Yes, it has the whole Florida beach bar vibe, but it is Florida, and there are many differences here. For example, Since most of us can't have basements, we put our bars out on patios which lack the dark and mysterious look of a true tiki bar, but hey it's Florida! Yes, Jimmy Buffet has had a huge impact (good or bad) on how people understand the term tiki, but many of us do know that it means more than just some thatch on a roof or bamboo on the wall.

And please don't blame Trader Vic's; after all Disney screwed up The Enchanted Tiki Room at DisneyWorld too.

Anyone coming down should give me an IM first and I would be happy to meet you there and introduce you to some very nice people. The owners and managers are all "Good People".

The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and the drinks are... Trader Vics. BTW, The Sushi was awesome and I like Sushi!

If we start saying that THIS place is NOT a tiki bar because it has deviated from its parent into this new concept... then we have to re-evaluate alot of places that are currently legitimately thought of and referred to as "a tiki bar". It's more Tiki than many places listed on Critiki. Its WAY more tiki than Sarasota's Bahi Hut and O'learys Tiki Bar.

SO ... I just want to ask a general question. Are some of you actually OPPOSED to a new chain of Tiki Bar restaurants that serves yummy Trader Vics drinks and economical food in a family atmosphere?

Do we have to rely ONLY on the occasional successful dark divey type in the wrong part of town or the high priced Icons that can only really exist in major metropolitan areas and one could probably not afford on a regular basis?

Keep in mind that we still have all of the other choices PLUS this.

Seems like it fits a nice niche to me. I can tell ya one thing... I AM HAPPY and I will be sitting there in 5 minute drinking a fabulous Mai-Tai on the patio watching the Alligator swim in the lake through the tiki torches as my kids play in the grass and eat popcorn shrimp!

Cheers Trader Vics Island Bar & Grill! and thank you for taking the chance and spreading the TIKI !!

and thats all folks.... ALOHA &....ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-01-19 15:31 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies