Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A New Trader Vic's - open Monday!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies

Kids, you're going in circles here! Let it rest. There are two basic factions here, and both have very valid points, both should be able to co-exist:

The "this is better than no Tiki","Trader Vic's needs to survive in this market"-crowd, comprised mostly of locals who are happy to be able to get a decent Tiki cocktail in their vicinity, some of which even concede that while this might not be THE perfect representation of the style, it'll do just fine for the area. I think they have a right to feel that way. I won't see them as "traitors" to the style. :)

The lovers of true Tiki (count me in here), who are very aware of the fact that the watering down of the style has contributed to its eventual disappearance once before (especially thru the same way, the so-called Buffet-ization). Many of those folks sit in larger cities where they have some original vintage Tiki bars, and some classic-style Trader Vic's to enjoy. They have the luxury, and the right, to say "We wouldn't go to this type of Trader Vic's".

As long as both factions can express their views here, and we don't hail generic designs such as that signage as a shining example of Tiki style (which nobody here would do, I believe?), we can agree to disagree. So much of it comes down to personal taste and discretion. Many folks have no problem with Asian Tikis, but this site is the place to point out their flaws. No reason to get defensive about it.

This Trader Vic's is a Tiki Bar, but a Nouveaux Tiki Bar --unfortunately for some, but fortunately for others. And I am not saying that in a snobby, patronizing, spoiled LA way. As long as we are aware what is what, and can say so here, this site serves its purpose.

nicely done bro- and i wanted to add in addition to my previous post, trader vics has survived this long for a reason..they are good business people and this new place is just another extension of what they do and i don't want to fault them for at least trying....i wish them all the success in the world in any endeavor,but again, it's just not my thing......

I give it a hard time, but actually I would go if it was close. It sounds like an "Islands" with better drinks. I go to the local Islands occasionally (it's by the movie theater, so good for an after-movie snack with friends, plus there's a Leroy OA tiki in there). If I could have my burger with an authentic TV Navy Grog, I'd be in there more often.

T

I loved the Kahiki, and Skip the bartender at the Kahiki was
a great guy, tons of fun!
But The Kahikis food kinda sucked!
And Skips drinks well, no kinda, they sucked!
But I loved that place as a whole.
The great decor, Skip making jokes,
Man just fun.

An old article in a mag about Trader Vics first place
outlines that kinda fun being had at Trader Vics.
Plus the place had sleds and other non tiki stuff hanging
in it.
If they can make it fun they will come.
But the pics I've seen here, I just dont see it.
I too would go at least once if it were close by.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 6:16 PM

<I would love to see Pablus down here every once in awhile !! >

And you will. I'm headed to Thailand through the month but I should be back in early March. Looks like a gas - and if we need an "authentic" fix, we can always head across the state for a few hours and check out what the Californians can only dream of.

Yes, I played the Mai Kai card. :wink:

!

[ Edited by: dewey-surf 2010-02-03 03:26 ]

T

On 2010-02-02 18:16, pablus wrote:
<I would love to see Pablus down here every once in awhile !! >

And you will. I'm headed to Thailand through the month but I should be back in early March. Looks like a gas - and if we need an "authentic" fix, we can always head across the state for a few hours and check out what the Californians can only dream of.

Yes, I played the Mai Kai card. :wink:

Check mate.

B

Whew... I have not been here in a few days and things certainly have not changed.

I have more to report on this new Trader Vics story....but, I have been wicked slammed with work...a good thing.

So..... I have a dirty secret... along with the bazillion other things I have on my plate I am also shooting Bar & Restaurant review pieces for Tampa Bay Channels 10's MetroMix with my good friend Chris Kohatsu. You might recall she did a piece recently on the Mai-Kai...or ya might not.

Anyway we covered the new TV last week. DISCLAIMER - I just shoot the footage. I have nothing to do with the script. Chris takes the footage and does her thing. It's a lot of fun and I get free food & cocktails and a little scratch for my efforts that usually covers my bail tab.

http://tampabay.metromix.com/page/video-tampabay/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4505383&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Coco Joe - thanks for finding that review. I saw a local and one of our own, Gregg, managed a post. I am actually shooting his Mardi Gras event...small world!

Robotiki....Lets get together with some of the other locals soon!

Pablus... I have taken the liberty of mentioning you to the owner and he is interested in talking to you. I will send you an email and copy him on it to get you guys plugged in.

You can hate this place if ya want, but ..... I have sampled most of the yummy menu at this point and spent a considerable amount of time absorbing the atmosphere as well as the fabulous cocktails and I am pretty damned content. It closes at 11. plenty of time to get to the Bahi Hut or O'Leary's for last call. I can understand wanting more of whatever the "Original" or "Traditional" is supposed to be but to hate a place for trying a new thing... I'm at a loss. They seem to me to have found a nice niche with this concept and I hope they are all the rage and in every town soon. I hope they spread like a virus. I hope it acts as a gateway drug and we get more peeps interested in raising the bar on quality mixology and on TC, and at Hukilau, Tiki Oasis, and then we may see more traditional bars pop up that are dark and mysterious and stay open past 11 and follow stricter rules of authenticity dictated by the Grand and all knowing authorities on all things Properly Tiki and PolynesianPop. Hmmmm.

Polynesian Pop...as in Popular Culture right? There's something to think about. Oh No !!! Not the "uneduMAcated" masses!

Here is Jon training Ty on how to spank the mint!

The front door handles

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-02-03 08:46 ]

TS

I'm going to close with this:
I didn't personally write what I felt because I'm hating on the venue. I didn't state my opinion to belittle the Floridians. I simply stated in what I see as a shoddy attempt to bring a TV to Florida. Most people that have been into a TV would agree that this particular TVB&G is only a TV by namesake.

It is scary to me, having actually stepped foot into at least two Authentic TV that they would even consider going this route, as it may very well threaten the existence of the remainder locations. Especially, if this B&G became widely accepted. Since so many of you got overly defensive about something that you have no ownership of, I hope you can be happy with what you get, and I will not chime in on something so "out of the UPS box" again.

Keep playing that Mai Kai card all you can, its about the only thing Florida, including most parts of the United States has in terms of Tiki-Grandness, and it is at the top of the list, at that!

I'll finish and go on record to state that, I just hope that a chain of "Mai Kai, To Go" restaurants don't pop up in my backyard.
I guess we "Left Coasters" are blessed with having a handful of venues to choose from that keep it period correct, and or as authentic as polypop (as it is represented on this site) can be.(It used to be hands and pocketsfull of venues)
Good luck with the McVics.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-02-03 09:33 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 9:36 AM

Well said Tom!
Mc Vics JAJA!
Aloha all!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 10:09 AM

Still, I would have a Mai Tai there and check it out if it was on the way driving to the Mai Kai from Mexico, but I think it's not.
The front door handles are cool. That's the kind of detail I DEMAND from a Trader Vic's! Custom made and unique. That's the quality I'm looking for. That's why they can charge so much for their drinks. That's why they where "the best". That's how they defined the style, took it to the next level and made it international and classy. That's why it is amazing, because it cannot be copied, bottled and sold. Out of control. That's why Tiki is anything but conformism. Just say NO to watered-down Tiki! They can do better than that! But why would they spend more corporate money on ARTifacts if they can save it? So, you got to fight for your right to Tiki party! Viva Tiki! Viva la revolucion! I humbly suggest you fellow tikiphiles from La Florida, visit the place, support it, but keep asking for more! Make it the Tiki palace of your dreams! That's what's all about! Don't settle for less. Not with Tiki. :)

....boheimiann....guess you skimmed over the past few threads before writing yours...seems everyone for the most part is willing to give the place a try at least once..no one is hating for hatings sake...they all have their reasons..and remember..new places always put their best foot forward when they open...and though the food and drink you had was top notch, i want you to go back there 6 months from now or more and give us a report one more time...that's the true test..can the quality of a place uphold over a duration of time.....not opening nite or even the first couple weeks.

..and why would trader vics sell off their warehouse tiki stuff if they knew these little places were on the horizon?? anyone??..you would think they would have just recycled it in these new places....

" In a perfect world...Elvis would still be alive ....and all the elvis impersonators would be dead!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-02-03 12:29 ]

P
pablus posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 6:48 PM

"I just hope that a chain of "Mai Kai, To Go" restaurants don't pop up in my backyard. "

For real though - what is the Beverly Hills TV now? And Palo Alto isn't a "real" Trader Vics by the London, old Chicago, Atlanta, defunct Washington DC vintage.

It's not a Trader Vics as we know it. That's OK though. If it were named "Hokey Bergy's" we'd all hail the attempt.

Whatever. Not worth worrying about really. I'll be there in March, Lord willing, and the Crazed Mugs will spread some aloha to the unwashed masses in a way that leaves them thirsty and fumbling for the tip jar.

long live pablus :D

On 2010-02-03 09:29, Tom Slick wrote:
I'll finish and go on record to state that, I just hope that a chain of "Mai Kai, To Go" restaurants don't pop up in my backyard.

That is a F*&#ing brilliant idea! I would so do drive-thru Mai Kai!

And I live less than 20 minutes in traffic from THE Mai Kai!

The rest of you that are against the new Trader Vics idea.....

You never answered my original question of what is your opinion on Senior Pico's? It is a Trader Vics Property, carries the Trader Vic's Name, carries quite a bit of the same drink menu. Do you hate Senior Pico's for the same reasons as you seem to hate the TV Island Bar & Grill?

To those of you in support of the new Trader Vics idea....

The locals are trying to put together a party in late March with this as one of the highlights. Keep your eyes and ears open for more details.

B

At the risk of being argumentative I will keep this dialog going and hope that I do not come across as defensive, although there is no defense without an offense :wink: and... I guess I am defending the new concept. I believe there is room for it and i just flat out don't agree with some of the statements by some of you. Love ya.. Don't hate ya...just don't agree. Maybe that makes me .. mediocre but I'm willing to live with that.

Most people that have been into a TV would agree that this particular TVB&G is only a TV by namesake.

It is scary to me, having actually stepped foot into at least two Authentic TV that they would even consider going this route, as it may very well threaten the existence of the remainder locations.

Tom - I respect ya but totally disagree. I spoke with Sven Koch and Yavuz Pehlivanlar, Pres. & VP of TV Corp., about this specific concern.
(They are right up there in the Bay area if you want to ask them yourselves.)

As explained to me...The fact is that there are only a few select locations that can actually sustain a higher end "Authentic Trader Vic's". There WILL always be the Flagship locations that can cater to that price point and level of operating cost. It's the economy that poses the greatest threat to these locations as well as places like the Mai-Kai and I submit that by making this move with the new "Watered Down" chain they are SAVING the chain and it will allow them to PRESERVE the Authentic locations. FYI..... The Mai-Kai has already taken similar steps by streamlining their menu and dropping their price points and that is also what TV has done on a larger scale and with a NEW and Different concept. There is a reason it is Branded differently! They have also separately branded the Mai-Tai lounge and Senor Pico's. I feel that TV is showing innovation and smart business acumen with these efforts. After all these places are BUSINESSES not MUSEUMS for the Tiki community. The biggest gripe I hear is that it uses the name Trader Vic's. Under any other name or brand it would be Welcome by all, well almost all, as it is far more "TIKI" than MOST "Tiki" places I have been and I have been to quite a few. But... since it uses TV ingredients and serves awesome TV cocktails....

Having personally been to:
London
Atlanta
Emmeryville
Palo Alto
Scottsdale
Vegas (before it closed)
Chicago (before it closed)

and now Sarasota....I feel qualified to opine that it carries more than just the namesake.

And with 20 more "Authentic" locations scheduled to open taking the total to almost 50 worldwide... and an unknown amount of the new concept TV IB&G opening, I think we are safe. I also think there is room for both. I see the new concept as a great way to allow MORE people to enjoy and AFFORD a real Mai-Tai and an "American Polynesian Pop experience" as the Authentic TV is concentrating on a more global market and enjoying huge success in foreign markets, especially the Middle East of all places!

I find this Sarasota location to be WAY more Tiki than the Vegas TV was and even more than the Scottsdale, and from what I hear, the Hollywood TV is, and I happen to like the contemporary Scottsdale location next to the Valley Ho.

I met the Owners and the Chef here in Sarasota and I do not believe the quality will decline over time. The conversations I have had with them indicates quite the opposite and I promise I will be here to report on all of the great things that they have planned. I don't want to steal their thunder but they are planning things that I have not seen the other TV's do that will set the stage and raise the bar for future TV IB&G's. I think BECAUSE they are a "streamlined & economical" version it allows them to go in a few directions that the other TV's would not and opens some interesting opportunities to become more interactive with the local population.

If you think about it the Main TV's are primarily in Premier Tourist areas that would not survive on Local business only. This new concept flips that dynamic and relies on Locals over tourists and therefore will need to operate and interact differently. I look forward to being part of and participating in this new concept experiment.

BTW, The new website is up http://tvislandbarandgrill.com and I was happy and honored that they used all of my pictures for the slideshow. I would have loved a byline but.... I forgot to ask for one and it doesn't really matter anyway.

How many tiki places can you sit outside on a deck overlooking a lake in January sipping a 1944 Mai-Tai having sushi and watching an 8ft. Alligator attack and eat a duck and then go sun itself on the grass bank !!??!!

And did I mention the pretty girls !

On 2010-02-04 08:26, Bohemiann wrote:
And did I mention the pretty girls !

Even better! A pretty girl using a jigger to measure the drinks!

That gives me that funny kind of feeling..... down there. :)

TT

I was on the new TVIB&G website a couple of days ago, and thought that I'd seen all those pictures before. :) Please keep me posted about the event in March, because I think that those of us in the Tampa Bay area also need to support this as much as we can. Maybe a few of us could even make a roadtrip out of it...

Tam (Ed) Tiki

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 9:27 AM

Love the alligator! don't like the 3 Televisions.

J

On 2010-02-04 08:26, Bohemiann wrote:

...After all these places are BUSINESSES not MUSEUMS for the Tiki community...

That's classic !! :lol:

I'm going to ask if the Los Angeles Trader Vic's can add a view of Alligators eating ducks. That rules!

I have a place in Longboat Key (ok parents) I plan to visit this place FOR SURE, next time I'm down that way. If an event pops up (at the new local) I'll do my darnest to attend /make the trip! Glad it's there I'm bettin it stays!
Keep it alive!

K

On 2010-02-01 04:38, Tonga Tiki wrote:
if I hear one Jimmy Buffett song my Pupu platter will come right up.

Jeez, if that's the only criterion, y'all had better pass on the L.A. TV. The live musicians played "Margaritaville." And, when we requested "Quiet Village," they hemmed and hawed, played a few chords, and apparently decided "Hotel California" was close enough.

TT

I'm sure there will be the usual mix of music. Hopefully the majority of it will lean more exotic or at least Hawaiian than Buffettesque. Does anyone know if they serve Zombies?

On 2010-02-04 13:09, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Does anyone know if they serve Zombies?

This is the south.... the Zombies have to go around to the back door if they want service.

M

On 2010-02-04 13:23, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-02-04 13:09, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Does anyone know if they serve Zombies?

This is the south.... the Zombies have to go around to the back door if they want service.

Quote of the day/response of the day........fo sho!!!!!

On 2010-02-04 12:02, kristiki wrote:
Jeez, if that's the only criterion, y'all had better pass on the L.A. TV. The live musicians played "Margaritaville." And, when we requested "Quiet Village," they hemmed and hawed, played a few chords, and apparently decided "Hotel California" was close enough.

I can't decide what was more hilarious about that night. The rendition of "Not Quiet Village" or the souvenir Tiki Farm mugs with L.A. Kings logos on the back.

The bartender was knocking it out of the park though, that was good.

On 2010-02-04 17:51, rev_thumper wrote:

On 2010-02-04 12:02, kristiki wrote:

I can't decide what was more hilarious about that night. The rendition of "Not Quiet Village" or the souvenir Tiki Farm mugs with L.A. Kings logos on the back.

The bartender was knocking it out of the park though, that was good.

I was in Trader Vics @ LA Live recently where Kings fans arrived after the hockey game.
Its all about the marketing. And, it is a good thing to shower the Tiki mana on those who otherwise would be in the dark.

TT

"Its all about the marketing. And, it is a good thing to shower the Tiki mana on those who otherwise would be in the dark."

This brings up the philosophical/theological questions: does Tiki change the culture, or does culture change the Tiki? Can the two co-exist in harmony, or does one really need first to down a couple of mai tais in order to find such harmony? Are pirates, smugglers, buccaneers, and privateers really the same thing with differernt hats?

Such questions may plague humankind for ages to come...only the great Moai know for sure.

[ Edited by: Tam Tiki 2010-02-05 09:07 ]

"Its all about the marketing. And, it is a good thing to shower the Tiki mana on those who otherwise would be in the dark."

So then this should be read as the new TV is a good way to bring the unknowing to the dark "bar" side of the Polypop world then....

On 2010-02-05 14:18, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
"So then this should be read as the new TV is a good way to bring the unknowing to the dark "bar" side of the Polypop world then....

You know what they say.... the first Mai-Tai is free.

On 2010-02-02 09:51, Tiki Shaker wrote:
Believe me... it's not.

Frankly, that TV is far more Tiki looking than any Islands restaurant.
BTW, the Marina Del Rey Islands is Tiki.

Hey I just got back. Even convinced the wife to go on Valentines day (am I a lucky guy or what?). Anyway, opinions...everyone has one. So these are mine.

The Bad:

Upon approach we heard Jimmy Buffet on the house music speakers. Blah! Most of the music was Buffetesque, Carrib/Reggae, and Sloop John B by the Beach Boys (and don't get me wrong I really like The Beach Boys). Whilst I like me Martin Denny at my Tiki establishments, I understand most of the current population is more familiar with the aformentioned music.

Service was still getting their wits about them. The menu reminded me more along the lines of TGIF, Chilis etc.

Some of the Decor probably wouldn't make some peoples home bars. Some Key West type colors made their way into the tiki palette.

The Good:

Hard to argue with the Trader Vic's 1944 Mai Tai. It was gooooood. It was strong. Also had the Navy Grog. It was goooooood too. You also have to like a huge Moai Scorpion bowl sitting on peoples tables with the extra long straws.

The food was good, despite my TGIF, Chilis menu reference.

Some of the Decor would make most peoples home bars. Some impressive carvings, some nice surf memorabilia, and vintage pictures hanging on the wall.

So if you can take the good with the bad, it's not a terrible way to spend an hour or two. The drinks were the highlight. And as I said, seeing a massive Scorpion bowl on tables while people cook their appetizers over an open flame, that ain't all bad.

HL

My wife and I have been to the TV Island twice. As others have stated, we're all just happy that there's a place to get a decent drink (outside of my or Pablus' house) that's closer than a 4-hour drive to the Mai Kai.

While Pablus has been overseas, I've been talking to the management about the Crazed Mugs playing. They've got the CD, liked it, and I'm waiting for Pablus to return to work out the dates. They actually wanted us to play in February but it's just not going to be possible. At least by March maybe it won't be so cold out on the porch and everyone will have a much more pleasant time. It's been in the 50s or lower for the last month, which I'm sure sounds great to your northerners, but it COLD to us. As soon as we get some dates together, we'll post here and gather the ohana.

Valentine's Day brought a couple of menu items from the big Vic's to this location. My wife and I were jazzed to be able to get a Tahitian Coffee Creme Brulee, which we hadn't had since our visit to the Seattle Vic's a couple of years back.

The drinks are good. Scratch that, they're great. We ordered a Tiki Bowl on VD and it was phenomenal — that was the first time I've ordered that anywhere. The drinks shown on the menu are a small subset of what's available at a normal Trader Vic's, but the bartenders were able to accommodate my "off the menu" orders of a Fog Cutter and Menehuene Juice (a manager had to make them).

The food, while not the fine dining of a regular TV, is of excellent quality and generous portions. True, a lot of what's offered is pretty normal. We've stuck to the signature items which are a bit more aggressive in nature and haven't been disappointed yet.

I like to think of this concept restaurant as a "gateway" Trader Vic's. If the concept catches on, it would open up a whole new revenue stream for the company and sustain both old and new locations alike. A lot of people forget (or never knew) that Saint Petersburg actually had a real-live Trader Vic's in the 1980s at a Sheraton Resort. It's gone today. So are a lot of the other Trader Vic's locations, like Seattle.

If having a few Island Grille and Bars can keep the rest of the old locations afloat, I say bring them on. We'll be out on the porch playing "We Spread Aloha."

P

Cool, man. I'm game to go.
Got the new Smuggler's Cove tune wrapping up tomorrow.
It's dark.

I used to write such happy little ditties.
When did I become so sullen and angry?

Hey, I think it was right after I started hanging out with Hot Lava....

HEY ! crap ! I was there on V-day ! Wish I had known others where there... Glad to see the Crazed Mugs on track for becoming regulars, when a date is set let me know and I will get the word out locally and pack the place.

And YES....they made make a Zombie... A yummy one ! Actually Jon made this one for me. He was in town doing training. Nice guy.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-02-23 06:59 ]

Wow, what a thread. Being one that lives close to many great old Tiki establishments and frequent many of them, I for one would love one of these close by! TV's please open one in Orange County, CA.

While I do enjoy Tiki in its original intended form, I also enjoy the watered down versions as well, hell I enjoy anywhere with good food and drink! I've found some excellent places that some of you would not qualify as "Tiki" but I wont share them with all the purist so they don't feel the need to have a 20 page thread telling me and everyone else what is wrong with the place(s) and me for liking them. While I do enjoy traditional Vic's food and drinks and don't mind spending $200 for it, getting the same quality (and often more quantity) for $75 makes a lot more sense to me.

And by the "standards" thrown out here do Forbidden Island and Frankie's (both places I love) qualify as true Tiki? As much of their decor is a more modern interpretation of "Purist Tiki", and good god they both have TV's, just sayin. Oh wait TV's LA has a TV too.

It just seems to me that some people are more concerned with pointing out what in their mind is wrong about something rather than embracing the fact that there is a new place to go, from people who are still willing to try to make a go of a business in this economy with a Tiki/Island vibe to it.

But hey we all have our own opinions so I for one am glad many people don't like this place and places like it. I assume the true purist here will never eat or drink at a place that is not "Sven" approved (not meant as a slam on you BigBro), so I thank you for leaving more room for me.

Also when the bashing of Rory's new place at Caliente Tropics begins please send me the link so I can support him as well.

anyone around this place weekend of april 9/10/11? fri sat sun - 2010
I'll be in the area - LBK
PM me - maybe solo for a visit or a few in tow including a tiki lover age 5&1/2. I'm pretty sure I can go here multipule times so don't be shy!

It looks like a great place to get a burger, a Bud Light, and watch some football!

On 2010-02-05 09:05, Tam Tiki wrote:

This brings up the philosophical/theological questions: does Tiki change the culture, or does culture change the Tiki? Can the two co-exist in harmony, or does one really need first to down a couple of mai tais in order to find such harmony? Are pirates, smugglers, buccaneers, and privateers really the same thing with differernt hats?

Such questions may plague humankind for ages to come...only the great Moai know for sure.

Pirate: A private criminal individual who engages in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea.

Smuggler: One who traffics in illegal goods on land or sea. Does not necessarily engage in combat to make their gains.

Buccaneer: A shipboard crewman who specializes in hunting game during shore landings -- akin to a Marine.

Privateer: A private sailor operating under the authority of governmental letters of marque allowing attack (and plunder) of enemy vessels in times of conflict. Since they are operating under the authority of their government, privateers are technically not pirates. For example, the knight Sir Francis Drake was a privateer for the English crown.

and, for added measure,

Corsair: French word for 'privateer.' The Barbary pirates of north Africa were also called 'Turkish (i.e. Muslim) corsairs.'

Cultures (and sub-cultures) always change regardless of the agents of change. If they didn't, we Americans would still be wearing powdered wigs. And yet, right or wrong, the grognards within a community will still complain about change. For example, in the Goth community, the ElderGoths complain about the infusion of electronica into modern Goth music instead of it sounding closer to its punk roots.

But, as you can see from the various types of pirates, "The Devil's in the details" as the saying goes. . . especially if you get them wrong. Although I'm a newbie to Tiki, it seems that I'm already falling into the Purist camp despite my interest in Tiki hybrids like GothTiki.

From what little I've seen, the details aren't right in the new Trader Vic's Island Bar and Grill. It is merely a tropical themed Applebee's-style sports bar / casual dining establishment catering to (and marketed to) the Jimmy Buffet beach bum crowd. I think that's intentional. There are probably more casual Buffet beach bums than there are Tiki hobbyists and it's wise for TV's to want to expand their customer base and include them.

But, as someone else pointed out, Applebees (and Chili's, TGI Fridays, Bennigans, etc) are a dime-a-dozen. So, for me, the new TV's is crushingly mundane. There's no fantasy, elegance, or romance about it at all. And if Trader Vic's goes that way as a whole, they've lost me as a patron. By the same token, if Tiki culture goes in a similar direction, it's lost me as an adherent.

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect."
-Warren Zevon, "Werewolves of London"

[ Edited by: Baron von Tiki 2010-03-27 00:43 ]

If they make a good mai tai and friendly service, I'd be all over that... The tiki's are just a bonus...
I think If they opened one out here on the Island it would be crazy busy... Still waiting for a bar that serves a good mai tai over here..:wink:

Aloha

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-03-27 18:25 ]

TK

i have some vacation coming up in 10 days. wifey and i will ride down from tampa and give it a try.

A

On 2010-03-27 00:40, Baron von Tiki wrote:
So, for me, the new TV's is crushingly mundane. There's no fantasy, elegance, or romance about it at all.

I looked at this thread a few times, and had nothing to add that hasn't been said many times here on TC, in various forms with different threads.

However, I wanted to laud Baron's comment because he hit the essence of what disappoints me about a place like this. Fantasy, elegance, romance - achieving an atmosphere with that feeling is what makes the difference (for me) between a place that has some of the checkboxes checked (tikis - check, mai tais - check, ...), and a place that truly appeals.

And the disappointment is compounded by the fact that it represents a devolutionary step for the TVics brand which historically DOES capture more of the attractive atmosphere. That's why there was a similar reaction here to the Las Vegas TVics, which also had some of the checkboxes checked, but was missing the essence. It was partly reacting to the specific place, and partly a reaction to what almost felt like a threat to a great and amazingly longlasting tradition in the TVics name.

For those who relish this idea of having ANY TVics presence, even a little watered down, it's understandable that disappointed comments would feel like raining on their parade. But if you think about the flipside, for those who cherish the "fantasy, elegance, and romance" associated with the TVics name, it should ALSO be understandable that great enthusiasm for this new bar and grill style (which seems to be encouraging devolution of a beloved brand) would also feel like raining on THEIR parade. Much has been said about why that dream isn't realistic anymore, and the obvious fact that we all patronize plenty of places that don't come anywhere close to the dream. But anyway it seems like much of the acrimony isn't necessary if we keep BOTH perspectives in mind as opinions are tossed around here, on the ideal place to express them.

-Randy

I agree with your opinion and concept, Aquarj, but I disagree with your explanation....

I'll use an easy example, which automatically makes it suspect in the conversation, and in spite of it being watered down will still make the point with only a small amount of thought:

Wolfgang Puck.

He had this kick-ass place (so I'm told) down in LA somewhere called Spago. He made a name for himself with this place and 'everybody loved him!'

Sometime later he opened Wolfgang Puck American Grille. No, its not the same name, but Wolfgang has his name all over the menu so once you step inside there is no doubt you are still dinning in the Puck Corporation of establishments.

Sometime later he opened Brasserie Puck and went French. His name is a bit more obvious in this iteration.

Then JAI BY WOLFGANG PUCK, WOLFGANG PUCK GRILLE, and yes I am just cutting and pasting from the website at this point.

Did anyone ever hear of the original Spago fan base getting themselves into an uproar when Mr Puck branched out? Did anyone feel that Spago's was being watered down, or somehow diminished by the almost 20 different restaurants in the Puck universe?

So then why are we having such a time with TV's corporate decision. They didn't ask us so the only thing we can do is support it with our dollars, or shun it and not go in the hope it dies.

On 2010-04-01 04:40, Chip and Andy wrote:
Did anyone ever hear of the original Spago fan base getting themselves into an uproar when Mr Puck branched out?

In my opinion, I think this comparison doesn't quite work. I'd say that people who go to Spago are there for the food and aren't much concerned with the specifics of the interior design of the place beyond a nice general ambience.

Tiki enthusiasts are different. In addition to decent food and a good Mai Tai (a Tiki Pu for me please), many of us want another world to step into. This means that we are savoring the details and we are placing said details on equal par with the food. In other words, we go as much for the ambience as we do for anything else. Heck, from some of the "The-food-and-drinks-were-terrible-but-I'm-going-back-anyway" posts I've seen here on TC, I'd say some of us value the ambience more.

For many of us, a fresh layer of pineapple wallpaper on a sports bar, so to speak, just doesn't cut it where ambience is concerned.

Went from the Carving Jam to the new place on Saturday and in short the place F**'n Rocked!

The drinks (well, both of them so that is still plural) were excellent. Mai Tai was top notch. Potted Parrot was good. The Navy Grog were well presented and got rave reviews from the other end of our table. The Coffee was hot and fresh.

The staff were warm and welcoming. And Stacy (Stephanie?) managed to not go completely nuts with our group all throwing our orders at her pretty much simultaneously!

The appetizers were to die for, the Beef ChoCho always a winner. The Tuna and Chips thing that I suddenly can't remember the name of was so good we ordered a second.

The band (Duo really) on the patio was fun. Loud enough to be heard and enjoyed, soft enough to tune out if you were with someone you wanted to talk to.

All in all, I wish there was one closer to me.

OK so I made it to the place - Heres a few pics to share.
Overall I got no complaints and service is super quick drinks were measured when prepared.

in the bathroom (Mens)

in bathroom -

outside bathrooms - tiki mags framed covers

go there - injoy its big inside the place and the outdoor area is nice too.

I tried not to post pics that were already posted in this thread.

PS its right of HWY 75 like right off! - don't drink and drive!

Y

Digging this thread up from the grave...

My wife and I are taking a roadtrip from Pittsburgh for Hukilau and thought about stopping in Trader Vic's Atlanta, then she said "hey, there's one in Sarasota!" - But I looked it up and found their website and immediately thought it looked like a Chilis or Red Robin type deal. It got an instant MEH from me and not sure if it's worth a road diversion... BUT, I wouldn't complain if we had one of these in Pittsburgh!

Reading through the old debate here I think the main problem is that the Trader Vic's we all know and love over the years is dimly lit, feels more intimate. So this is like Trader Vic's in broad daylight with fluorescent lights. :)

Again, if this were closer to me, I'd surely go there, but I don't think I'd call it a "tiki bar"

it is nice that there's the possibility that some NEW people will discover tiki and then fall into the tikiphile fold. So i give them props for that.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies