Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A New Trader Vic's - open Monday!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies

G

On 2010-01-19 13:35, Tam Tiki wrote:
And please don't blame Trader Vic's; after all Disney screwed up The Enchanted Tiki Room at DisneyWorld too.

Yes, but... but, we blamed Disney for that one too! At least some of us are consistent! :wink:

PS - Welcome to TC. Glad to have another Floridian who has some Tiki understanding. And being in Florida and not having a basement either, I also put my tiki bar on my (former) patio, but it does have that dark and mysterious look, so it can be done!

TT

Rob,

My hat off to you, sir! That is truly gorgeous, and makes my little bar seem so...un-tiki. My wife saw the pictures, told me I could not do that to our patio, but did want to know if you take reservations (LOL).

BTW - this is my humble creation, built over the holidays.

Tam (Ed) Tiki

On 2010-01-19 18:30, Tam Tiki wrote:
BTW - this is my humble creation, built over the holidays.

Tam (Ed) Tiki

Nice! You should paint your bar's name on the life ring.

Is that a tiny Mystery Machine I see hiding there on the left?

Aloha Bohemiann~
When will there be an ohana nite at that there TV? I, for one, would happily attend as it beats the hell out of anything in a reasonable driving distance...

:drink:

K.

I am planning one right now and should be announcing the date soon !! They just opened the doors so I want to give them a little bit to shake out all the wrinkles. I will be hosting and piggy back an event at my house as well.

TT

C & E,

Putting the name on the life ring is a great idea...now I just need to come up with a name. About the van; unfortunately it isn't the Mystery Machine (although I'm sure that the idea came from there). It's something my 25 year old daughter gave me for Father's Day last year, that bounces up and down, and plays the song "Walking on the Sun".

BTW - the top, corner posts and tall posts on the back are all surplus from Disney. The top was part of a "surf party" backdrop, and the posts are surplus from the Polynesian Resort. Granted, it is more beach bar than old style tiki, but with Trader Vic's now opening a beach bar I can claim a certain "tikiness". :)

Ed

TT

Bohemiann,

I really like the pictures you got of the new TV's Island Bar & Grill, but did you happen to get a copy of the menu? I'm debating going there this weekend to check it out, and maybe try to talk them out of one as a souvenir. But whenever I get there I plan on taking lots of pictures, maybe pick up some things for my bar...just really enjoy myself. My hope is that this works out for the chain, and that they put one up here in Tampa Bay.

TT

Tam,

It is a different menu than the Original TV but the food has been good so far. They are not serving in the original TV etched glasses yet and the only vessels they have are the Tiki Bowl and Kava bowl. I heard they have plans to bring in more mugs but that is not confirmed. I am also not sure if they have brought in all the product yet like mixers and souvenirs to sell. Guess I will just have to bounce up tonight and find out.

Be sure and let me know if you come down and I will bounce up and show you some Ohana Hospitality.

Yikes, they've garnered some critical - or downright hostile - comments on the Explore Your Sarasota blog, of the Herald-Tribune. Bohemiann, does this site's reviews and comments have much influence on the locals? Maybe you should post a review comment, to add some positive counter-balance.
Also, as of now, you can be the first to rate and review TV-IBG at its listing in the restaurant section of Your Sarasota (also part of Herald-Tribune).

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-01-21 10:16 ]

Mostly by this one militant "MONA". Boy, sicking the cops on them! And who knows if "Lynn" is a buddy of hers...you can write anything you want on these reviews, and your true motive remains hidden.
That sucks. People are so confused.

On 2010-01-19 08:31, LoungeShark wrote:
Yeah, gotta admit...if one was brought to Columbus, Ohio - I'd prolly go to it. As has previously been mentioned...I'd prefer a Forbidden Islands or Mai-Kai, but unfortunately all we currently have is a couple Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurants, some beach themed bars and a bunch of Chinese Restaurants that start to look kinda tiki after downing many watered down drinks and squinting when you look around the room. Somebody PLEASE open a real tiki bar/restaurant here!

Hey there are 1 million people in the Lehigh Valley and we don't even have a Cheeseburger in Paradise or an old school Chinese joint. So the jealous "I want one one too" line starts behind me. How sad is that!

Mahalos to Bohemian and the locals for the great recon job and continued flow of intel on this new Vic's concept.

Tam, I have a basement here in Allentown but I already turned that into a rugby pub so I too have a converted patio (now an enclosed tiki room) that house my tiki bar. As far as your wife goes, pack her off to a relaives for long weekend "getaway" and then spend the time converting the patio. When she gets home it will look awesome. You simply yell "ta-da!" when she sees it and your in bidness.

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2010-01-21 11:59 ]

Good grief people are mean !

Yea...personal axes being ground. The local owners own a few other restaurants in town and probably have a few pissed of former employees. They were probably fired for bieng racist assholes. The racist comments make me pretty sad.

Thanks for letting me know about this so I can post some balance.

Yea...these places with their Tiki Torches and Mai-Tais...they are a dime a dozen!

Mahalo!

TT

Hey, it's good to see from the pics that some folks are already showing up at TV's and enjoying the place. As for some of the locals' comments, they're just mad because it means more competition for Hooters :) Either that or they're worried it doesn't have Kenny Chesney on the jukebox.

BTW Matt - there's an old Navy saying that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission. However after 32 years of marriage I've found that is NOT always true.

Hey there are 1 million people in the Lehigh Valley and we don't even have a Cheeseburger in Paradise or an old school Chinese joint. So the jealous "I want one one too" line starts behind me. How sad is that!

Hey, you have Willy Joes Hotdogs - what more could you ask for?

(The Brass Rail is crapola though...)

Just my opinion, but I think the locals tiki-philes in the area should jump on this opportunity to establish a "beach head" tiki destination in the area. Sounds like they have at least a couple of decently made cocktails on the menu. Use that as a starting point. Getting people to see the difference between a well-made cocktail and the slushy margarita is the first step.

Perhaps they could meet with management and work with them to schedule tiki related events there. We have a local place on the beach that hosts ukulele and hula dancing lessons once a month. How about a battle of the mai tais kind of event? Do they plan on having live music? That opens all kinds of doors. How about a regularly scheduled meeting of tiki-philes with a presentation or two thrown in?

The trick is to get management to equate tiki with money. I was big into the swing dancing scene a while back and it was easy to get a club to host a swing night -- once. They had tons of dancers, but they didn't spend any money at the place. Once you've got them equating tiki with money, then you can start making subtle suggestions on how to make the place more authentic.

TikiHard

On it!

They do have music but it is leaning towards Reggae and Calypso only because the Ukulele players are not knocking on the door. If you have the name and contact 411 of any musicians please send it to me and I will pass it on. From conversations I have had they seem friendly to at least considering any suggestion.

I would love to see Pablus down here every once in awhile !!

The more we visit the better our suggestions will sound !! Since I seem to be the closest I would be happy to assist in the coordination or suggestion of any event.

Some local things are already in the planning stages and I will post them on TC as they take shape.

[ Edited by: bohemiann 2010-01-23 12:33 ]

On 2010-01-21 11:59, Bohemiann wrote:

DAYAM!!!!

This place looks like a Tiki mecca from the outside!
I love the big Tiki on the inside.

I live in LA where the weather is perfect for an outdoor bar 50 weeks out of the year, and there is nothing like this here!

I grew up in S Fla and my only exposure to tiki was the mighty Mai Kai, and compared to that Everything pales in comparison. Now that I live in Ocala...I have had 2 chances to visit Trader Vic's in Atlanta, cool but a 6hr drive and Atlanta traffic sucks. I am just happy to have something else actually tiki somewhat nearby, I think the place looks good and I am excited to go. I have nothing at all remotely tiki within a 4 hr drive(Mai Kai)...if you want to count the Polynesian resort in Orlando, or the Hawaiian Inn dinner show in Daytona. I am a Florida native born and raised in Ft Lauderdale, and Florida tiki style pretty much always creeps into our tiki establishments with a few exceptions and I can deal with that. Would I love a hard core vintage style purist tiki establishment nearby...bet yer ass...but is it going to happen?...no. Like I said, I will be more than happy to meet any Fla TC'ers for a drink here, I don't have any TC members around here to hang with. Aaron

TikiHardBop, you have it in a nutshell. Well said.

TT

The local media is doing a nice job of reporting about the new Trader Vic's...

http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/blog/template_permalink.asp?id=1335.

TT

I just noticed that the link I put up for Sarasota Magazine didn't work right. However if you click on the link it will get you to the primary page, and from there click on blogs, and then "Foodies Notebook". Also, the local ABC station had the chef on to demonstrate how to make "Ragin' Cajun Shrimp", and the comments on the original piece have been very positive (thanks to Bohemian starting it off).

I'm hoping to make it down there this weekend, even if it's only for lunch and to take some pics.

TT

I dig it very much!!I would be a regular if it was located a couple 1000 miles closer...lol..I hope the Tiki Gods bless it well!:)

TT

FYI - the new TV Island Bar & Grill now has its own page on the greater TV website. There are some nice pics and a menu. They also have a tab for locations (plural) so I'm hoping that is a sign they plan to open more of these.

Trader Vic’s Island Bar & Grill website

"The décor, a bright mix of island trinkets, beach treasures and tiki kitsch, perfectly complements the casual, fun and lively atmosphere."

Let's go surfin', now, Trader Vic is learnin' how,...

Maybe those of us who prefer the classic low-light, mysterious Trader Vic's can try a pair of very dark sunglasses.

And, with all the uncertainty over the fate of our classic Dallas Trader Vic's, I'm reconciled to feel lucky if we end up with a change to the Island Grill concept, rather than no TV at all.

..i guess it's hard to have a contrary opinion without being labled negative, but what the hell...here goes....

i hate it....and to those that wish to convince me otherwise, relax....it's okay to dislike something. everyone dislikes something now and then and it doesn't make them a negative person, just human and normal...

that said, yes, i would probably still visit one if it was local- just to really check it out up close. but i'm spoiled by the actual vintage tiki bars here in the area and besides....in cases like this i don't abide by the "something is better than nothing" crowd. I just can't settle on mediocre..never did.

there...i said it.

okay kids -grab your most rotten tomatoes and lemme have it !!

On 2010-01-16 22:17, Tiki Shaker wrote:
Why are they even using the name Trader Vic's? It looks nothing like a Trader Vic's, and from what it sounds like, the menu wont be like Trader Vic's either. They might as well call this place Kowabunga Fred's or something.

LMFAO! funniest shit I read this week! Thanks for the chuckle! :lol:

And what Gator Rob stated on page 1 or 2 is how I feel as well. TV has seemingly become slap happy with their name, and everything they seemed to once stand for has gone out the window. While I admittedly enjoy TV downtown L.A., it still isn't the TVBH(Beverly Hills). I don't agree with the "something is better than nothing" crowd. I'd rather not have, than to have "half ass", especially after experiencing the real deal. We all have choices and differing tastes. This one by asthetics alone, just is not mine. I hope their food and drink make up for the appearance. Maybe TV corporate should start thinking Drive-Thru windows? :lol:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-01-29 11:51 ]

I have to ask, do you "never settle for less" folks ever eat out anywhere but a "real" Trader Vic's without feeling let down by the experience? :)

TS

On 2010-01-29 12:27, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I have to ask, do you "never settle for less" folks ever eat out anywhere but a "real" Trader Vic's without feeling let down by the experience? :)

I know I sure do, just like any other common folk :lol:, but I'm not easily bamboozled into eating at a watered down version of an already known classy restaurant. If I go for food only, I'll eat just about anywhere. But if it is a situation where I want to immerse myself into ambiance or escapism, for what the original establishment once represented, I'll take the original if it is still available. If it isn't, I am not one to settle, knowing there is something far better out there. I'll find something or somewhere else to spend my buck. Mai Kai, or a watered down version divebar called Mai Flai? Your choice, but for me, I'll stick with door number one.

One point that can be made that Party City alo sells tiki and luau sets, but I doubt you would you "settle" and decorate with it because, "Hey, its tiki, right?"...To me, its like eating at McDowells, to substitute it for McDonalds, or Shenanigans instead of Bennigan's...

The bottom line is, If the food is good at this place, then why not? But to view this place as a tiki destination, or consider it tiki, period, is a stretch in my book...Not saying anyone feels that it is, but just want to clarify my stance.

M
Murph posted on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 2:34 PM

Looks like they ripped off an Islands restaurant
http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/
And I know no one would call an Islands a Tiki joint.
Probably a nice place... just not a Tiki place.

Do they have mai-tai milk shakes?
Hee-hee.

You get what you settle for.

CJ

On 2010-01-25 12:14, Tam Tiki wrote:
I just noticed that the link I put up for Sarasota Magazine didn't work right. However if you click on the link it will get you to the primary page, and from there click on blogs, and then "Foodies Notebook". Also, the local ABC station had the chef on to demonstrate how to make "Ragin' Cajun Shrimp", and the comments on the original piece have been very positive (thanks to Bohemian starting it off).

I'm hoping to make it down there this weekend, even if it's only for lunch and to take some pics.

TT

good review
http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/blog/template_permalink.asp?id=1335#comments

Hey, I sure as hell would be happy as a clam if they put one of those in Philly or Jersey. To me it's about the cocktails more than the decor or even the food. If the food is decent and the cocktails are up to the Trader Vic's standards then I'm good to go.

TT

Does it dilute the name Trader Vic's - maybe. Is it like a TV that we all wish we had close by - no. I plan on checking it out this weekend. If the drinks are great and the food is great - Mission accomplished. Yes, if I hear one Jimmy Buffett song my Pupu platter will come right up. But I remain optimistic. I think the comment about establishing a beachhead is right. The more of "us" that show up and spend money and request certain music or decor or whatever - might just help guide things along the path of truth.

TT

Tonga Tiki -

I agree with you. Granted, I have never had the pleasure of going to one of the original Trader Vic's restaurants, so I can't do a comparison. However I think that any company that has been around as long as TV realizes that the customers help set the tone, and the success of the Island Bar concept will be no different.

My bet though is that you will hear "Margaritaville" at least once, as unfortunate as that may be.

J

I've noticed that most of the critical comments on this thread are coming from California. C'mon guys, we're passing judgment on a business we're never going to frequent in the first place.

We're such spoiled children here on the West Coast. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-02 10:12 ]

Wastin away again at Island Bar and Grill
Don't even have those tiki shakers of salt
Californians exclaim that it's just not the same
Maybe so, but it's all that we got

RR

On 2010-01-29 11:14, Tom Slick wrote:
While I admittedly enjoy TV downtown L.A., it still isn't the TVBH(Beverly Hills).

What, do you miss the large white antelope the BHTV had?

R

I'm local-maybe 5 miles away and will definitely check this out. My heart still belongs to the Bahi Hut and their tub-o-cheese @ happy hour, but any tiki is better than no tiki. Looks much better than other places calling themselves tiki bars just because they have a thatched umbrella somewhere....

T

On 2010-01-28 15:01, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

i hate it....and to those that wish to convince me otherwise, relax....it's okay to dislike something. everyone dislikes something now and then and it doesn't make them a negative person, just human and normal...

PERFECT!!!
Tipsy could not have said it better!

TS

On 2010-02-01 12:33, Rob Roy wrote:

What, do you miss the large white antelope the BHTV had?

Actually, The Welton Becket designed building along with the garden window in the back room, the outrigger hanging near the bar, the nooks and crannies that the BH location offered in terms of seating. You just didn't sit in a large square room, it actually had shapes, and sections seperated. The renowned bartenders, and the history those walls soaked in...I don't remember ever seeing a large white antelope as I stumbled out of there...lol

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-02-01 19:44 ]

On 2010-02-01 12:04, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Wastin away again at Island Bar and Grill
Don't even have those tiki shakers of salt
Californians exclaim that it's just not the same
Maybe so, but it's all that we got

Actually, I didn't want to mention it, but my company was hired to do the jingle for the new Trader Vic's. This was the song I wrote that was eventually chosen.

Sung to the tune of "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys:

*Hey, come with me and chill
At Trader Vic's new Island Grill
If you buy the extra-large mai-tai,
You get a free refill

I like to drink my rum,
Near the West Indies, where it comes from
The South Sea rhythms of a steel drum,
Make me wanna hum...

Hawaii, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Tahiti these ribs are pretty meaty
Key West, Sarasota, let's take my new Toyota,

Down to Trader Vic's
A Navy Grog and Mozzarella Sticks
That's how I get my fix
Way down at Trader Vic's.

After a couple beers,
The french fries start to look like native spears
And that surfboard on the wall will be revealed
To be an Asmat Shield

Cowabunga, Dude!
I like this old-skool Island food
A blooming onion and a Kava Bowl
Will satisfy my soul
Yeah I can't wait to go...

Aruba, Samoa ooo I wanna show ya
Bahama, New Guinea, You couldn't call me skinny
Hakuna Matata, come on pretty daughter

Ooo I wanna take you down to Trader Vics
We'll eat some sliders
And then we'll score some chicks
That's where I get my kicks
Way down at Trader Vic's*

I am disappointed Trader Vic's has sold out.The design of the sign alone sais it all.
This cheapens their name and their restaurants high quality and standards.Just my observation.

On 2010-01-29 14:34, Murph wrote:
Looks like they ripped off an Islands restaurant
http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/
And I know no one would call an Islands a Tiki joint.
Probably a nice place... just not a Tiki place.

Tikibars would call Islands a Tiki bar.
The Tiki Road Trip, 2nd Edition, lists Islands on page 33.

Yes, it is in Tiki Road Trip. BUT.... it says:

"Islands is a HAWAIIAN/TROPICAL-THEMED restaurant. THERE ARE FEW IF ANY TIKIS TO SPEAK OF, but the general atmosphere does conjure images of contemporary Hawai'i. Their $4.25 Mai Tai is made with a more or less classic recipe. The staff members are clad in aloha shirts."

That says it's a tiki bar? It says it's a hawaiian/tropical themed restaurant that has few if any tikis to speak of.

I guess any place that has a mai tai on the drink menu is a "tiki bar" in your opinion?

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2010-02-02 09:06 ]

T

I believe the point is that it is in Tiki Road Trip. Since the book was written about Tiki destinations, THAT would make it tiki.

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2010-02-02 09:22 ]

Believe me... it's not.

TT

Well I certainly hope the owners of TVIB&G aren't relying on Californians for their success. But don't worry, we'll still grant y'all entrance into Florida for Hukilau. I do have one question though - if bright colors and change are taboo, what do you all think of modern Tiki art? Just a question...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies