Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Parking Lot Sale with The Hula Girls Sunday, March 28 at 4pm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

Nice, I wanted the cute little Tiki Tony Parrot, but gotta save up some more clams.

T

Isn't that a toucan ?

Aha, yes, tikiyaki! My bad. (I must admit, I was never much of a Froot Loops fan, so my toucan identifying skills aren't exactly top-notch.)

[ Edited by: MauiRose 2010-03-30 14:00 ]

Me neither, actually, but I saw real ones in Aruba...they're so cool in person.

J
JOBU posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2010 6:02 PM

The MASK looks awesome in my small but every growing Tiki Room
Thanks KIRBY

Jobu

Great night at the Tonga Hut! Mahalo to all involved! We're still trying to figure out what that secret spice is, LOL! We shot some cheesy video, but sadly didn't get any of the actual parking lot sale. Cursed Rum! Anyway, here is a link to a ridiculous video we shot randomly at the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0fV7pOJEiY

K
kirby posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2010 7:17 PM

im sorry which one of you is chris and which one of you is sarah?? you guys are crazy thanks for the vid!!

jobu thanks for the purchase and everybody else who bought sumthin from me or any of the other artists, thats what helps keep us going!!

big mahalo to Jeramey and grog for puttin it on!! Great success!! lets do it again just like this one!!

Ugh! Lol Kirby, I am Chris (in the brown shirt) my wife is Sarah, but was unable to attend. I don't know who that other goof is. Someone else at the Tonga Hut asked me what my "handle" was here on TC and when I told them, they just gave me a blank expression. Wasn't thinking clearly when I registered. Looks like I need to contact a moderator or something and see about getting that changed.

P.S. Enjoyed a Mai Tai tonight in my new "Fred" mug I picked up at the sale :wink:

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-03-30 22:39 ]

Awesome video! Super weird. Nice work!

HAHA! One of the best event videos I've seen. I feel like I was there. ; )

TM

What's the great song in the background of that video? Who is the artist? Sounds like the Tavares band.....

On 2010-03-31 07:50, lucas vigor wrote:
What's the great song in the background of that video? Who is the artist? Sounds like the Tavares band.....

Hahha, no, I think it was The Sylvers maybe The Osmonds ...
Anyway that was so stupid I laughed!

I am talking about the Hawaiian music.

Its "Tanga Tika" off of the album "Polynesian Percussion" by Chaino. One of my absolute favorites.

Thanks for identifying that song? I just got the album.

Chango and the Polynesians - Polynesian Percussion

Ummmm chrisandsarahb.
". . . I don't know who that other goof is"

Don't make me pull out the really bad pics.

B

Who's got the pictures of the Rat Fink and Batman tatts? Post 'em if ya got 'em! Thanks! :)

TM

On 2010-03-31 10:58, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Its "Tanga Tika" off of the album "Polynesian Percussion" by Chaino. One of my absolute favorites.

Are you 100% sure it's not the Polynesians?

The Polynesians were essentially a studio band with the Tavares brothers. (Also found on the Hukilau Hulas CD)

I can't find this album by Chaino on amazon, but these came up:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=Tanga+Tika&x=16&y=16

Not to totally derail this thread, by the way,

here is some info I just found:

"DIRECTIONAL SOUND DS-5012 Chango (Chaino?) and the Polynesians. Polynesian Percussion. (According to the liner notes by Bob Freedman the artists on this LP are Chango and the Polynesians. However, on the record label it is Chaino and the Polynesians. Frequently marketed by record dealers as being by Chaino. Kirby Allan says it's not Chaino.)"

I don't know who Kirby Allen, is but I tend to agree with him. That song on the youtube clip immediately stood out as being in almost exactly the same style as the Polynesians.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-03-31 13:50 ]

A

Re: Chango & the Polynesians, no need to look on Amazon when you can look here on TC!

I couldn't remember if I still had that LP up, but apparently it is.

Another old related thread

-Randy

Lee and Dionysus has 2 different Chaino cds
I think both of them are compilations.

amazing stuff.
must have cds.

Jeff(btd)

My bad Lucas, yes they are "The Polynesians" but on my LP it says Chaino (typo?) as well as some other guy. You can find a slew of "The Polynesians" albums on Itunes. Another great album to check out similar in sound/song/and style by vaious artists is "The Heart Of Tahiti" which I found on Mele.com

Here is another great group as well:

"Augie Goupil and The Royal Tahitians"

Looking forward to seeing "The Hula Girls" on Itunes in the future. :wink:

T

Yay!

The Tonga Hut parking lot sale was so much fun! So many awesome tiki vendors and awesome supporters of tiki vendors! (missed out on hearing the awesome Hula Girls as I was outside vending... waaahhh!)

So what's the Verdict? Good enough to do again? I say Hells Yeah!

Yes, good enough to do again, for sure! I'm running out of those Tonga Hut posters if anyone is interested in grabbing one before they are all gone!! Check for availability of color with me first. Email me at [email protected]

i'm home from my great trip. mahalo to everybody who bought stuff from me. also many mahaloz to grog for organizing the sale and jeremy and staff (especially kelly!) for hosting. it was great seeing old friends i haven't seen in a while like tiki tony, buzzy, zaya, crazy aloysius, tikig, tobunga and everyone else. my favorite customers were the 2 guys from switzerland who are over here for rockabilly weekend in vegas. these 2 muscle bound tattooed mokes giggled like school girls as they kept coming back for one more mug or rat fink toy. when we discovered we all had rat fink tats we had to get a pic.

Bullet, that's so cool! Hey, it was great hangin' out with you and having lots of
time this trip down south. Gla ya did well in the sale. I hope to see you again before TO10!

TT

Hey Bullet, it was great to meet you...and look, the decanter did make it home! I got the cork cap too.

Cool Tattoos. Now that you are back oh Kingstiedye its time to start working again! Wendy and Dan

ps I hope there are even more wonderful photos to be posted

Bowana...Damn it, I forgot to pick-up the matching earings to my pendant. And like an idiot, I completely forgot to pick up a light switch cover from Crazy Al. Ugh!

S

Dam! all you crazys live in the same area.
How fun.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies