Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Parking Lot Sale with The Hula Girls Sunday, March 28 at 4pm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

I'm excited about this! My tiki mugs are finally finding their way out of their protective bubble wrap to the inside of the house. Ikea bookshelves rule -- so now I've got room for more "stuff"! Viva La Tonga Hut!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 7:08 PM

Pulled the ceramics out the kiln today, and it was a succesful bisque fire. And now onto some glazing and then a second firing.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 6:00 PM

Cheeky Girl has a nice chop going on this Saturday in the San Fernando Valley for those of you who might want to get in a little carving before The Tonga Hut Parking Lot Sale coming up the weekeend after that.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35327&forum=17&start=0&56

And, we still have room for a few more artists/vendors if you've got mugs,tiki carvings, Aloha shirts, black velvets, fish floats, pufferfish, pendants, vintage wear,jewelry, or etc. to sell.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 6:32 PM

We're happy to announce FEZ-O-RAMA will be joining us selling their neat-assed fezzes. GROG love the one GROG bought from them at Oasis last year. So, if you've wanted a cool fez, but didn't know where to get one, you can get one and be stylin' at the Tonga Hut on March 28.

http://www.fez-o-rama.com/index.php

R

On 2010-03-16 16:39, GROG wrote:
Got ceramics cooking in the kiln right now.

SWEET! I AM SO BUYING A GROG MUG :)

These Tonga Hut art shows are always a good time -- and this one seems to go above & beyond.

I will definitely be there.

Mr and Mrs Tikilands plan on being there. Looking forward to it :)

M
mp posted on Sat, Mar 20, 2010 12:20 AM

God Damn it! I want to be there for the party! I am upset about this!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I over use these things a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scotty, Beam me to the Tonga Hut!!!!!!!

B

It's going to be a LOT of fun! :)

(check kingstiedye and Martony King added!)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ Edited by: bowana 2010-03-20 18:40 ]

[ Edited by: Bowana 2010-03-23 20:02 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 20, 2010 8:46 PM

Nice flier. Now THAT's a Parking Lot!

Just an update on the list of artists/vendors:

CRAZY AL
BOWANA
BAYPARK BUZZY
TOBUNGA
ATOMIKITTY
MIEKO
GROG
TIKI G
TIKI TONY
KIRBY
DIBROC
TIKIYAKI
MARTONY KING
FEZ-O-RAMA
KINGSTIEDYE

John Corbid (Dibroc) will have stuff from Tiki Farm and Castaway Ceramics, so Holden and Squid will be well-represented.

Plus, we have a few more that may join us last minute (it's a parking lot, we've got room)

And , we have THE HULA GIRLS playing fresh off their amazing performance at Knott's Berry Farm for K-Earth 101.

We'll have plenty of room for everybody to move around, rather than be crowded shoulder to shoulder in the bar.
GROG very excited about this show.

[ Edited by: grog 2010-03-21 17:42 ]

sloppy seconds for socal! i've just been invited to bring all the crap i couldn't pawn off on my norcal ohana down south next weekend to find some REAL suckas! at least that what grog say. i also will be getting the guest rock at grog cave. see ya soon!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 21, 2010 6:09 PM

Here's some of the stuff Kingstiedye will be bringing down.

He says they are Gecko's and Munktiki's, but GROG suspicious.

I just updated all of the songs on our mySpace page! The recording is from practice in the garage of my Atomic Ranch the other night. It came out REALLY good.

Come check 'em out... You remember mySpace, right?

http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

Oh, also, I just finished designing a poster for the Tonga Hut show. I'm gonna screen print them this week. Should be pretty cool! Stay tuned!

Spike,

the Song Volcano is killing me,
so so relaxing, and moody.

LOVE IT!!

Jeff(btd)

Thanks! That's awesome to hear, Jeff! That's as close as I'll ever get to a Chris Isaak/ Blue Hawaiians kinda feel.
Although it was just a practice recording, I'm really happy with how it came out. DJ Bonebrake is slated to add vibes to that song for out studio recording.

TM

On a side note, Spike's house, The Atomic Ranch, is simply one of the coolest examples of retro mid century decor this side of Palm Springs. Someone needs to do an article on it, with pictures. It's unbelievably cool!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 9:07 AM

Proof that GROG working diligently to finish up some ceramics for the sale.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-22 09:07 ]

just cuz you had 5 cups of coffee ain't no proof you're working hard!

I am looking forward to spending my pay check on Sunday!

On 2010-03-22 08:08, lucas vigor wrote:
On a side note, Spike's house, The Atomic Ranch, is simply one of the coolest examples of retro mid century decor this side of Palm Springs. Someone needs to do an article on it, with pictures. It's unbelievably cool!

is this an invitation for a tour? if so, count me in! :)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 8:08 PM

GROG declaring Sunday FEZ DAY at the Tonga Hut, so wear your nicest fez, or if you don't have one, get one of the awesome ones that Fez-O-Rama will be selling in the parking lot.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-22 20:09 ]

yeah baby! i'll have 2 excellent condition size 7 5/8 shriner fezes (fezez? fezi?) and a shriner hat box for sale.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 8:22 AM

This is gonna be a great time, I will be vending out of my yellow dune buggy so stop on buy and say hi, Here are some wall mount masks I have been working on for the show!!

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-03-23 08:23 ]

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-03-23 08:24 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 11:27 AM

Ooooh~~~~~
Fez boxes

TT

I hope Uncle Fezter will be there.

On 2010-03-23 11:48, FilthyMidget wrote:
Ooooh~~~~~
Fez boxes

T
TNT posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 3:28 PM

On 2010-03-22 12:27, FilthyMidget wrote:

Me too!

On 2010-03-23 15:28, TNT wrote:

On 2010-03-22 12:27, FilthyMidget wrote:

Me too!

how much are dirty dwarves and demolition experts pulling in these days?

B

I'll be selling pendants, earrings and stuff like that there!

Plus I'll have a few Shaken Not Stirred mugs.

Bowie

TH

Aloha Tiki Central!

We are excited to host another Tiki Central Art Show this Sunday, March 28th! The Tonga Hut is honored to bring you some of the most talented Tiki artists ever gathered in one parking lot. If that wasn't enough, The Tonga Hut is also excited to bring the "Hula Girls" Band to town for your entertainment.

We will have hand crafted Tiki Cocktails galore, served up by none other than "Hiphipahula" Kelly herself; bringing the best Tiki Cocktails back to the Hut. Joining her is the always lovely Lisa Marie.

Special thanks to "Grog", Ernie Keen, for all of his support in helping to keep the Tonga Hut true to Tiki and for his continued efforts to showcase Tiki art and artists. Our thanks also to Kirby, our in house artist, "Kirby Rocks our Hut"

This Sunday 4:00 p.m. until it's over.

The Tonga Hut since 1958
L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar

12808 Victory Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

Happy Hour 7 days a week 4-8p.m.

Mixologist Kelly Hiphipahula Every Sat. & Sun. 4-9 p.m.

Planning a private Tiki party? Call us!

Wish I could come, but Grog always waits 'til I am out of town to schedule these events! :D

L

Bowana great stuff!

I can not believe you still have some of those mugs left..they are fabulous and I love mine!

On 2010-03-23 22:44, leleliz wrote:
Bowana great stuff!

I can not believe you still have some of those mugs left..they are fabulous and I love mine!

i second that, liz! shaken not stirred is my fave polynesian dancer mug, hands down!

oooooh, i got my name on a car! i'm so excited, i feel like flounder in animal house.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 9:03 AM

And don't forget, March is coming to an end, so be sure and help come celebrate the last few days of BUZZY MONTH.

Preview of the hand screened gig posters I'm doing for Sunday...These are the films... I'm burning the screens today and hopefully printing the first color tonight.
The posters will be hand pulled, signed and numbered and printed in a small, limited edition.

dammit grog! why didn't ya invite me early enough to get my name on the poster?
i'll be autographing posters and adding my name for anyone who asks. anyone? anyone? bueller? nice work, spike. can't wait to hear you mokes shredding again. yeah, i'm cool like that, i've seen the hula girls before!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2010-03-24 10:35 ]

T

Very very cool poster...I'm buying one and having all the vendors autograph it for me - and then frame it and display it :)

Thanks for posting!!

ooh ooh, pick me g! i gotta special autograph for you: bullet "da juicer" kingstiedye.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2010-03-24 10:40 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 12:29 PM

Talked with the Hula Girls, and because of their schedules it looks like they'll be performing inside the bar at 6pm. So, if you're wanting to see the Hula Girls and shop, then you better get there early enough to get your shopping done. The sale start at 4pm and Hula Girls perform at 6pm. GROG want to see the Hula Girls, but GROG vending. Maybe GROG get a space really close by the door so GROG can get in for a quick listen and then head back out to GROG' crap. Maybe we can get Jeremy to run some speakers out to the parking lot so the vendors can listen. Maybe Crazy Al and Tikiyaki Jim will have their bongos and coconuts and jam with the music on the speakers when they're manning their booths. Maybe Buzzy will have drum GROG can pound on and we'll have parking lot jam. Tony, do you have a washtub base?

T

Well then - I'm bringing my set of bongos!! Parking Lot Jam? F'Yeah!!

PS - Can somebody please video the performance and then post it?

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-03-24 12:37 ]

wtf grog? i wanna see the hula girls AND vend. if you're in there watching them and i'm out in the lot, i'm stealing everything on your table. and that's a promise! so there! take that!
oh, and you'll be sorry! i'm banging my slit gong drum until the cops come.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2010-03-24 13:24 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 12:58 PM

On 2010-03-24 12:43, kingstiedye wrote:
i'm banging my slit gong drum until the cops come.

Is that a euphamism? GROG not think that's allowed in public, Bullet.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-24 12:58 ]

i thought anything goes in socal?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 2:08 PM

Artist/vendors:

Bring your own tables and or EZ ups, and your own change. Set up in the two parking lanes directly behind the Tonga Hut (green area). Jeremy should have them coned off, so hopefully there won't be any cars in there. Selling starts at 4pm, so get there early enough to be set up by 4pm. Spaces are on a first come basis except for GROG---GROG get space closest to door. :D

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 2:20 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies