Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Is there a Beachbum Berry Remixed Update?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

T

Here is the Beachbum Berry Remixed Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LgVfZAlMk

I thought trailers were for movies. Is this the first in a new trend of trailers for books?

H
Hearn posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 5:03 AM

On 2010-03-17 19:55, swizzle wrote:
I'd love a "bar friendly" version. Spiral bound and liquid-proof is the only way to go for those who use the books on a regular basis.

Harrumph. I agree completely.

That said, the book is another triumph from The Bum. Well worth the wait.

I couldn't wait for Amazon either so I paid the extra cash and bought direct from SLG. Fast delivery and well packaged. Cheers.
This baby is going to get plenty of usage, much like my other Beachbum Bibles.

D
Dood posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 8:17 AM

On 2010-03-17 16:50, leisure master wrote:

On 2010-03-17 14:03, danslave wrote:
Possible. We went away from the spiral bound books because most bookstores do not want that kind of product.

Might be possible to do something on a limited basis, maybe a stripped down version of the books with only recipes in a encyclopedic style on paper that is coated and durable.

DV

Dan - you'll find a very receptive crowd for spiral-bound here - count me in for 3.

Count me in on that too. Actually I think you'd find that most cocktail people, not just tiki people, would love to have this book spiral bound - perhaps done the same way that Quarry Books did with the second edition of Ted Haigh's masterful Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails.

That book appears to be a hardcover, but with a spiral binding inside so that the book can be laid flat on a counter while you make the drink. It's incredibly useful, especially for drinks with lots and lots of ingredients.

Honestly I'd consider buying both versions of a book with history and recipes in it. The spiral-bound for making the drinks and the more standard binding for reading the history and stories behind the drinks.

C

We were just talking about how we miss that it isn't spiral bound Saturday night - it's hard to actually use this book "live" in the bar, as you'd have to break the binding to get it to lay flat so you can read it while mixing, then all the pages would fall out & that wouldn't be good.....

So, yes, for those who will actually do more than put it on their bookshelf to look nice, a spiral bound version would be WONDERFUL!!!!

Please, Please :D

It's not the most elegant, but in a pinch you could have Kinko's cut the binding off and then have them spiral bind it.

I wondered if I was the only one having the problem of 'using' this book. A cookbook holder works, (this is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Solutions-Jumbo-Cookbook-Holder/dp/B0000DE1MV/ref=pd_sbs_k_3 )but it's not really ideal if your bar has limited 'real estate' on top of it..

On 2010-03-17 16:50, leisure master wrote:

Possible. We went away from the spiral bound books because most bookstores do not want that kind of product.

Might be possible to do something on a limited basis, maybe a stripped down version of the books with only recipes in a encyclopedic style on paper that is coated and durable.

DV

Dan - you'll find a very receptive crowd for spiral-bound here - count me in for 3.

R

I would happily buy the books over again for spiral bound copies, especially if the pages were coated.

H

Just got back from Oceanic Arts, they are selling the Remixed there $24.95, they have plenty.

S

Cancelled my Amazon and bought the SLG. Looking at the new Grogalizer going live very soon and want these recipes in there.

I also would like a more usable version. The font in Sippin is hard to read as it is and then you get in the bar... I end up picking my recipes in advance and writing notes.

On 2010-03-22 12:13, TeeKeeMan wrote:
I wondered if I was the only one having the problem of 'using' this book. A cookbook holder works, (this is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Solutions-Jumbo-Cookbook-Holder/dp/B0000DE1MV/ref=pd_sbs_k_3 )but it's not really ideal if your bar has limited 'real estate' on top of it..

I have seen just plastic ones of those for probably way cheaper.

http://www.acrylichomedesign.com/shop/AHD-HUA-H-268.html

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-03-23 12:55 ]

On 2010-03-22 13:07, rangda wrote:

I would happily buy the books over again for spiral bound copies, especially if the pages were coated.

With the new book you have the information wonderfully and beautifully presented for your bar. Which means that you can now beat the crap our of your grog log (if it hasn't been already). Use the Grog Log on the bar, present Remixed to company.

Win-Win! Or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

On 2010-03-23 13:10, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-03-22 13:07, rangda wrote:

With the new book you have the information wonderfully and beautifully presented for your bar. Which means that you can now beat the crap our of your grog log (if it hasn't been already). Use the Grog Log on the bar, present Remixed to company.

Win-Win! Or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

Except that Remixed has 107 new recipes...if I want to make any of those, I have to steal Remixed back from the company. I'll probably grab a second one just for the afore-mentioned crap beating.

My copy of REMIXED arrived here in cold Sweden yesterday, and what a masterpiece! While I agree that it's difficult to use when making the drinks, I see no problem with writing down the recipes on a piece of paper.

http://abs1nthe.dvdaf.com
http://dvdsleuth.blogspot.com
http://shop.findesieclemedia.com

[ Edited by: Trader Magnus 2010-03-24 01:31 ]

I got my Remixed last night after having to go to the post office to sign for it!!!

When I opened it I thought man this should be spiral bound...
After I got my Sippin' I would type the drinks into a "Word file" on the laptop that sits on the kitchen counter as I made them.
So I'll take 2 of the spiral/coated books.

I have done the Kinko's thing with several sheet music books and to me it looks like the margins in Remixed are to narrow to do this.

With the 18" of snow on the ground and still falling I'm glad I got it last night, I will be mixing and testing all day as work is closed!!!!!

For those who waited on Remixed from Amazon -- Looks like the book is finally going to ship from Amazon come Monday. Amazon says the book is in stock March 28th, which is strange since it's a Sunday. Put in an order, delivery estimate is Wednesday March 31th with Prime shipping. My Taboo Table was supposed to ship next week and was shipped today, so we shall see on the Remixed -- maybe it will come sooner?

S

On 2010-03-24 18:36, popular dumpling wrote:
For those who waited on Remixed from Amazon -- Looks like the book is finally going to ship from Amazon come Monday. Amazon says the book is in stock March 28th

I received an email today stating the same thing, so hopefull i'll have a copy in my hot little hands soon.

N
nate posted on Thu, Mar 25, 2010 2:40 PM

Finally! Yep just got my email from Amazon yesterday too.

Says "In stock but may take 1-2 days to process" on Amazon right now. I guess they either have them or will have them in the next couple of days.

Amazon just emailed me a few minutes ago to let me know that my order shipped out. FINALLY.

TT

My estimated arrival date: March 30 2010.
Looking forward to it!

M

Don't want to wait?

Beachbum Berry Remixed is on sale at Smuggler's Cove starting TONIGHT! Come on down!

I also have a few copies of Sipping Safari if ya still need one!

Mahalo!

Our copy arrived direct from SLG publishing last night. It is made of awesome.

OK, I could not take it anymore....

Since I knew my Amazon book is now on its way, the other night I tore apart my SLG version to see how it would work out spiral bound.

Result...? AWESOME!

That's how he earned his master ranking.

C

I am SO headed to Kinkos to get that done!!!!!

S

Well, my timing is a litle poor I guess. Hopefuly my SLG order will be here like today as I just jumped ship on Amazon in order to get the book faster.

Leisure Master, I think that's a winner!

A

Leisure Master, that looks fantastic. Did you have to take the book apart before you had the spiral binding done, or did they do that too?

Thanks everyone - I am really happy with how it came out.

I did take the book apart myself - I didn't want to leave it to someone else, but you probably could. One thing I can tell you for sure - your book is NOT going to fall apart on you any time soon. It is glued, stitched and welded together.

The following is probably standard for how books are put together, but I never took one apart before so this was new to me. Inside the book are actually a number of I guess you could call them "pamphlets" of about 10 pages each that are each glued and then stitched to the inside spine of the cover. You have to open the book real wide to find the stitching.

Once you cut the stitching you find within every 10 pages or so, you can remove all the "inside" pages of each pamphlet, but then the "cover" page of each pamphlet is what is glued to the spine - this was a bit of a pain, pulling out these pages without ripping them - it wasn't too difficult but you just have to go slow.

Then I used a paper cutter to cut the pages, since each piece of paper I pulled out actually had 4 pages on it. That wasn't so bad, but I think if I had to use scissors to cut them all it would have been a total mess since I am not steady of hand and patient of spirit.

Then I took the whole pile down to Staples and they put the spiral bind on for $4.

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2010-03-26 10:15 ]

V

Wonderful. Leisure Master, I'll buy you a copy please !!!

My copy just shipped from Amazon today, so apparently whatever was clogging up their pipes has been flushed away.

Mine too!

C

I ordered it in February from Amazon. This Wednesday I got an email asking if I wanted to cancel, and when I didn't it said estimated arrival would be the second week in April. I hope this is true and isn't just another automatic Amazon estimated date push-out (I'm optimistically going with the concept that everybody who pre-ordered before I did is getting books now and I'll get mine down the line).

C

I agree on the more usefulness of the spiral bound concept. I have various heavy things on the kitchen counter that routinely get placed on both sides of Sippin' Safari when I'm mixing from it (and its various pages have the requisite amount of stains from rum, 5 or 6 kinds of juice, falernum, allspice dram, syrups, etc--still waiting for the opportunity to leave my first oke stain on it, however).

A

I received a notice today from Amazon saying mine shipped. :)

Great idea to make a spiral bound!
Mostly I copy the recipe onto a handy file card or back of business card and then it lingers around the bar area
like a cheat sheet. With notes, stains, and maybe some cartoons added along the way.

M

The issue Jeff had with the spiral bound books is that the major retailers like Borders would not carry the book with a spiral binding. They need to sell books sideways too. A binder style cover with a spiral would work, but I gather was cost prohibitive.

On 2010-03-26 17:15, congawa wrote:
I agree on the more usefulness of the spiral bound concept. I have various heavy things on the kitchen counter that routinely get placed on both sides of Sippin' Safari when I'm mixing from it (and its various pages have the requisite amount of stains from rum, 5 or 6 kinds of juice, falernum, allspice dram, syrups, etc--still waiting for the opportunity to leave my first oke stain on it, however).

The "badge of honor" of a well-used book. :)

My copy is arriving Monday from amazon, so all I need to do is reset the start of the weekend to Monday...

kevin

On 2010-03-26 17:09, congawa wrote:
I ordered it in February from Amazon. This Wednesday I got an email asking if I wanted to cancel, and when I didn't it said estimated arrival would be the second week in April. I hope this is true and isn't just another automatic Amazon estimated date push-out (I'm optimistically going with the concept that everybody who pre-ordered before I did is getting books now and I'll get mine down the line).

If it doesn't come within the next day or two, I would cancel it and order it direct from SLG. I got mine literally the next day after I ordered it from them. Plus it came with some strange free comic book that I can't recall the name of at the moment. See you kids tonight at Don's.

C

On 2010-03-27 15:24, Jason Wickedly wrote:

On 2010-03-26 17:09, congawa wrote:

If it doesn't come within the next day or two, I would cancel it and order it direct from SLG. I got mine literally the next day after I ordered it from them. Plus it came with some strange free comic book that I can't recall the name of at the moment. See you kids tonight at Don's.

Jason, thanks for coming to Don's on Saturday! Yesterday I got an email from Amazon that Remixed shipped, and I should be getting it 3/31. Yahoo! I'm going to stick to bourbon, rye or scotch if I make a drink in the next couple of days, for balance--because after that I have a feeling there is going to be a heavy dose of new rum-based cocktails being constructed in our household.

Caltiki Brent

TT

UPS just dropped off my copy from Amazon!

A

I received mine today from Amazon. Looks completely delish.

B
Brice posted on Mon, Mar 29, 2010 8:17 PM

Amazon shipped on Sat. the 27th! My copy I ordered on the 13th from SLG hasn't arrived yet. Wonder which one will be here first.

When is Monday like a Friday? When UPS delivers this.

Thank you to Jeff Berry...the book looks simply incredible.

kevin

B
Brice posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2010 2:34 PM

It looks glorious!!!!!! I bet it looks better with bitters and rum spilled on it. I am very excited to see what pleasures Beachbum as made and or discovered. Do we start a new thread on which one is our favorite out of the book? I am still in waiting but stocked up and mixes made to experiment!

Nestled between my two favorite mugs is my newest treasure. Remixed by Beachbum Berry a gallery of tiki drinks. It came today and real excited about it.

I'm asking for your favorite recipes from it.

Eric

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-03-31 05:23 ]

H

Savage Tiki, based on that photo, it looks like you've already indulged in a few of the recipes.

H
Hearn posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2010 3:47 PM

I've been experimenting with the book for around a week now. It took a little while to track down CHERRY HEERING and BENEDICTINE here in DC (The Liquor Store on M and 31st in G-Town has everything!)

The Singapore Slings and Suffering Bastards have been-a-flowin'

Got my copy spiral bound at Kinkos. It came out exactly like Leisure Master's. It took one day and $11.39. They took mine apart. All I had to do was drop off the book.

On 2010-03-30 19:26, bewarethe151 wrote:
Got my copy spiral bound at Kinkos. It came out exactly like Leisure Master's. It took one day and $11.39. They took mine apart. All I had to do was drop off the book.

B-ware151,
Did you give them any specific specifications?
Can you post a pic of your newly bound copy?
If you had it to do again would you do it the same way or tweek it a certain way?

Inebriated minds want to know,

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies