Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Is there a Beachbum Berry Remixed Update?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

C

Yee-haw! I received my copy from Amazon yesterday, and have already made two drinks from it! Beautiful work, and I love all the "update" codings. It's amazing how affordable this book is considering all the work the Bum put into the original versions and this update (as much as he claims to avoid work). Now comes the expensive part--deciding which $20-30 bottles of specialty liquors and liqueurs for recipes that call for only a few drops (and don't come in 50ML bottles) to slowly invest in.

Caltiki Brent

On 2010-03-31 04:58, Savage Tiki wrote:

On 2010-03-30 19:26, bewarethe151 wrote:
Got my copy spiral bound at Kinkos. It came out exactly like Leisure Master's. It took one day and $11.39. They took mine apart. All I had to do was drop off the book.

B-ware151,
Did you give them any specific specifications?
Can you post a pic of your newly bound copy?
If you had it to do again would you do it the same way or tweek it a certain way?

Inebriated minds want to know,

Yes, I am curious to know also, my local shop says they can do it quick and cheap but would need to take off about ¼ inch cutting the binding.

On 2010-03-31 11:12, rev_thumper wrote:

On 2010-03-31 04:58, Savage Tiki wrote:

On 2010-03-30 19:26, bewarethe151 wrote:
Got my copy spiral bound at Kinkos. It came out exactly like Leisure Master's. It took one day and $11.39. They took mine apart. All I had to do was drop off the book.

B-ware151,
Did you give them any specific specifications?
Can you post a pic of your newly bound copy?
If you had it to do again would you do it the same way or tweek it a certain way?

Inebriated minds want to know,

Yes, I am curious to know also, my local shop says they can do it quick and cheap but would need to take off about ¼ inch cutting the binding.

I asked them to cut the binding as close as possible. That's all. I compared mine to an un-altered copy and it lost 3/16" of the total width. So, looking more carefully at Leisure Master's picture, I see that the spirals of mine edge pretty close to the text (within 1/16", but never touch or intrude) while his has a little more clearance. Otherwise, it looks exactly like his picture.

I would not change a thing. It looks as though it came this way from the publisher. They do offer the option of puttng some sort of protective covers on the front and back. I declined since it is a kitchen/bar copy that should show its battle scars, IMO.

[ Edited by: bewarethe151 2010-03-31 13:06 ]

V

Got mine today too!! What a great book--the new drink recipes look awesome. I've already ordered the St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram and in reading this thread, found out that Taboo Table is finally back, so I ordered that too. Thanks to all for spreading the word on Table, I've been waiting for months to get it! Now to the drink making.

I just got my copy today and I'm a little overwhelmed by the invaluable information and vintage tiki imagery. There's even the recipe for the notorious Mai Tai 3000 (it's time to make some damn rum jello!). If only Dr. Funks still sold for $1.25 at bars.

S

I haven't received mine yet. What's a Mai Tai 3000? Stop it! You're freaking me out!!!

A

On 2010-04-01 00:55, swizzle wrote:
I haven't received mine yet. What's a Mai Tai 3000? Stop it! You're freaking me out!!!

http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2008/07/13/mai-tai-3000/

S

Thanks arriano, but that just freaked me out even more.

A

Hey, has anyone else noticed missing recipes in Remixed? I just got my copy today and noticed three recipes in a row from Intoxica are not there: Coconut Willie, Del Coronado and Demerara Dry Float.

I'd planned to give my Grog Log and Intoxica to a friend, but now I realize I'm going to have to go through them with a fine toothed comb to see if any other recipes have been left out.

It'd be interesting to know if this was an error or if the Bum meant to do this.

The Mai Tai 3000 has got to be one of the most intriguing and terrifying cocktails ever.

Seriously, I'm huddled under the bar at the moment, shivering. My rum-soaked brain does NOT know what to make of it! It is freaking me out, man!

Did anyone notice this line? On the pages mentioning the Suffering Bastard (pg 92)

The Bum will devote a long chapter to Joe's [Scialom] life and "lost" recipes in his next book, Potions Of The Caribbean.

I hope it's true and not a joke. I'm enjoying this book!

H

On 2010-04-01 21:42, arriano wrote:
Hey, has anyone else noticed missing recipes in Remixed? I just got my copy today and noticed three recipes in a row from Intoxica are not there: Coconut Willie, Del Coronado and Demerara Dry Float.

I'd planned to give my Grog Log and Intoxica to a friend, but now I realize I'm going to have to go through them with a fine toothed comb to see if any other recipes have been left out.

It'd be interesting to know if this was an error or if the Bum meant to do this.

Speaking of the Demerara Dry Float, another exclusion appears to be the Gone the Beachcomber (Grog Log pg38).

A

I haven't gone through Grog Log yet, but last night I went through Intoxica and found 28 cocktail recipes missing from Remixed. I guess I misunderstood what Remixed was all about. I thought Berry was taking the contents of both Grog Log and Intoxica, making corrections as needed, and adding new recipes. I never knew that recipes were going to be removed.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-04-02 16:01 ]

I'm about to order my second copy and take it to Kinko's for the spiral-bound mod.

I'm also happy to report my first spill onto the pages. It's officially a bar book now!

kevin

On 2010-04-02 09:18, paranoid123 wrote:
Did anyone notice this line? On the pages mentioning the Suffering Bastard (pg 92)

The Bum will devote a long chapter to Joe's [Scialom] life and "lost" recipes in his next book, Potions Of The Caribbean.

Hey this might not be a joke at all! I noticed that the bum is hosting a seminar called International Barman of Mystery: The Saga of Joe Scialom during Tales of the Cocktail this year. I think a new book IS in our future!

I made a Kon Tiki Ti-Punch (pg. 202) from Belfast's Merchant Hotel tonight - the muddled guava jelly actually works in the drink. I'm trying their Little Polynesian next. Check out the bar's 57-page drink menu: http://www.themerchanthotel.com/html/bars/thebar.html
Anybody up for their $1,000 Mai Tai (made with 17-year Wray and Nephew rum)?

[ Edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2010-04-04 18:05 ]

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2010 6:07 PM

Got mine. Now I am fighting my Vegas cold to get the new recipes in the Grogalizer and turn you all loose to start sharing...

Regarding the "missing" recipes . . . my assumption would be that they needed no adjustment and were left alone.

On 2010-04-02 22:09, heylownine wrote:
I'm about to order my second copy and take it to Kinko's for the spiral-bound mod.

kevin

That is a great idea...I may do that too...thanks for the suggestion.

H

On 2010-04-05 08:40, VampiressRN wrote:

kevin

You're gonna have to give credit to leisure master as well.

On 2010-03-26 06:54, leisure master wrote:
OK, I could not take it anymore....

Since I knew my Amazon book is now on its way, the other night I tore apart my SLG version to see how it would work out spiral bound.

Result...? AWESOME!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2010 1:02 PM

Making good progress. There are a bunch of ingredients that are for only one drink and I am just skipping those for now. Otherwise, I am just down to the last chapter. So, you who are reading this get the first peek at the new site and get to use it first.

Go here to see and use.

I just had mine spiral bound. I'm going to have it signed by the beachbum himself at Smuggler's Cove later this month. What has been said will be his only NorCal appearance. I'm kind of a tiki new-be but I know how valuable this opportunity will be for me.

Here's a question to those in the know. Should I get another one to have signed because the spiral bound ones stock value is gone or does it matter? Strictly speaking as an investment.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2010 9:42 AM

On 2010-04-05 20:40, Savage Tiki wrote:
I just had mine spiral bound. I'm going to have it signed by the beachbum himself at Smuggler's Cove later this month. What has been said will be his only NorCal appearance. I'm kind of a tiki new-be but I know how valuable this opportunity will be for me.

Here's a question to those in the know. Should I get another one to have signed because the spiral bound ones stock value is gone or does it matter? Strictly speaking as an investment.

Get it signed for you, not an investment. I really don't think it will make much a difference in the long run.

On 2010-04-05 08:55, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2010-04-05 08:40, VampiressRN wrote:

kevin

You're gonna have to give credit to leisure master as well.

On 2010-03-26 06:54, leisure master wrote:
OK, I could not take it anymore....

Since I knew my Amazon book is now on its way, the other night I tore apart my SLG version to see how it would work out spiral bound.

Result...? AWESOME!

Totally, I grabbed the idea from the others on this thread. :)

I took it to Kinko's last night and they did it for $6 while I waited. It came out great. It took a little arm-twisting (I think the employee was reluctant to take responsibility should anything go awry, but I assured him it was fine) and 10 minutes later I was out the door. Book #2 for the shelf is en route from Amazon.

kevin

S

My copy just arrived. Had a quick flick through it and it looks awesome. Can't wait to read it properly. Have a few things to do today and then i'm going to get stuck into it when I get back home. I think I might get mine spiral bound though as well and buy another spare copy later.

I got my copy spiral-bound yesterday at Kinko's for just six bucks - and now to use my new pineapple corer to make a Boo Loo in a pineapple.

T

On 2010-04-08 19:01, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
now to use my new pineapple corer to make a Boo Loo in a pineapple.

Let us know how it turns out! Can you post some photos?

Be sure to put a rating on Grogalizer, too, please!

On 2010-04-05 06:03, GentleHangman wrote:
Regarding the "missing" recipes . . . my assumption would be that they needed no adjustment and were left alone.

Even so, I am quite disappointed because it doesn't say anywhere that lots of recipes are missing from Grog Log and Intoxica. The description just says "a completely revised and updated anthology of Grog Log and Intoxica!" and "featuring 107 additional recipes".

That means you can't buy REMIXED instead of GROG LOG and INTOXICA! - to get all recipes you need to have all three of them... which in my opinion is VERY annoying. That said, REMIXED is still a great book.

A

As I stated earlier, I was very surprised as well. And there's no explanation as to why the missing recipes were deleted -- Berry decided he didn't like them? He couldn't verify if they were the original recipes? He's saving them for a future book?

Besides the 28 missing from Intoxica, I think I counted 13 missing from Grog Log. 41 recipes is enough for a separate book. Maybe copy the missing recipes and spiral bind them as "The Lost Recipes."

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-04-13 14:09 ]

S

On 2010-04-13 14:05, arriano wrote:
As I stated earlier, I was very surprised as well. And there's no explanation as to why the missing recipes were deleted -- Berry decided he didn't like them? He couldn't verify if they were the original recipes? He's saving them for a future book?

Besides the 28 missing from Intoxica, I think I counted 13 missing from Grog Log. 41 recipes is enough for a separate book. Maybe copy the missing recipes and spiral bind them as "The Lost Recipes."

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-04-13 14:09 ]

What are some examples? Maybe they are in the public domain?

Since I don't own Intoxica, I used Grogalizer to find out which 28 recipes didn't make it to Remixed, googled them and actually found all recipes except for MAUI SUNRISE, PEQUOD PUNCH and PIÑA BANANA.

H
Hearn posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2010 8:16 AM

The Bum explains the mystery of the missing recipes on his latest blog entry.

T

Following the example of Leisure Master and others here, I had my copy of Remixed spiral bound at Staples (no Kinkos around here) while I waited. It took less than 10 minutes and cost $1.00 for trimming (I asked that they trim as close as possible to the original spine) and $3.50 for black spiral binding. The result was awesome, a bit closer to the edge of the recipe contents than the technique employed by Leisure Master, but still no binding holes through them. Great suggestion...

S

For those of you who haven't seen the site yet, or those that haven't checked it out in a while, the latest podcast by Koop Kooper (#120) has an awesome interview with Beachbum Berry about his latest book Remixed.
Check it out here.

http://carelessnavigator.com/

[ Edited by: swizzle 2010-04-20 03:27 ]

I got my copy of "REMIXED" hand-delivered by my wife Naomi to Prague today! What a treat! OK, so I am a visualist more than a mixologist, but how come no one so far has cared to mention how ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS this new tome is. There is so much to see (AND mix), who cares what's "missing"!? The drink displays by JP Balak and Cass McClure are a fanciful feast for the eyes to behold, and seamlessly blend with the vintage menu illustrations. If anyone can resist the lure of a Tiki potion after these tempting treats, they have to be made of stone...or prefer to get stoned. Do not show this book to minors, it's seductive imagery may send them down the wrong track! (This is a compliment)

I haven't seen it yet, but if its anywhere as cool looking as Sippin Safari,
then its got to be a great looking book.

need to get it and your cd soon.

Jeff(btd)

T

Has anybody found any of Basement Kahuna's Recipes in the Grogalizer yet? I must be missing some ingredients that he likes to use, because I haven't found any so far.

Jeff, the book looks a lot like Sippin' Safari, only even more pages and recipes. It is a real tour de force.

S

BK's recipes are there, trust me! Make sure you have it in your resources, not that it should matter as a default.

The images have some very over the top garnishes on them, that is for sure. Pay close attention.

C

Jeff, the layout is definitely in the vein of Sippin Safari. I enjoy the way he grouped the different variations on a cocktail theme.

Here is my review of Remixed (more like a praise-a-thon) here:

Also here is the chance to meet Jeff 'Beachbum' Berry, Tiki mixmaster/Historian and all around great guy, at Caña (LA's newest Rum Bar) for the book release party of Beachbum Berry Remixed and rock out to some of the 'Bum's' own cocktails.
This WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28, 2010 at Cana Rum Bar, 7PM

Last night's "Remixed" party at Cana (where IS that squiggly thing that goes over the "n"?) was terrific. Great atmosphere, great crowd of Tiki friends and WHAT A WONDERFUL BOOK! It is a wonderful addition to everyone's home bar. Jeff Berry signed books for all, and was a charming host. And Cana is a lovely bar, definitely worth checking out, and conveniently located about one block down from Trader Vic's L.A. Live.

Having read earlier posts, I applaud the ingenuity some of you had to get "Remixed" spiral bound at Kinko's. When I interviewed Mr. Berry recently for Tiki Magazine (the story will be in the next issue) he agreed that the spiral bound makes sense for how they're used, but told me that the problem has been that most major bookstores will NOT sell spiral-bound books! This has actually hampered his book sales in the past. So, please be understanding that, as creative people who need to earn a living, we sometimes have to make choices like potential sales volume over daily practicality.

Much Aloha,

Kari Hendler

Indeed, a wonderful time, with so many old friends coming together. Even Ted Haigh appeared. No one can deny the Bum. Besides the tasty concoctions on the menu, we got to try a 1929 Havana Rum Cordial that was brought in by an attending aficionado. The level of mixology at La Cana follows the tradition of the Doheny, and earlier that day the Bum shared his wisdom (and three different concoctions) with the new generation of L.A. craft mixologists:

The Bum speaks, we drink

A Bum-made beauty!

Thanks to Marcos Tello and the folks at Zaya Rum for facilitating the Bum's presence at this wonderful venue:

http://thirstyinla.com/2010/03/18/cana-rum-bar-soft-opens-tonight/

A

On 2010-04-18 08:16, Hearn wrote:
The Bum explains the mystery of the missing recipes on his latest blog entry.

Wow. May I just say that being quoted in Beachbum Berry's blog is a true highlight of my tiki life.

I am definitely thinking of copying and spiral binding the jettisoned recipes from Grog Log and Intoxica. Any suggested titles for this new book? "Marooned Cocktails"?"Cocktails Adrift"?"Beachbum Defects"?

H

On 2010-04-30 13:16, arriano wrote:
... Any suggested titles for this new book? "Marooned Cocktails"?"Cocktails Adrift"?"Beachbum Defects"?

"Beachbum's Jetsam"?"Jetsam Journal"?

Here's one I'd like to see that I came up with back in 2007 ~

It might be a little thin but it would be a good appetizer to hold us over. :)

H

"Other Rum"... Ha ha.

BB

On page 46 it mentions the next one "Potions of the Caribbean" I can't wait! :D

T

On 2010-04-21 08:37, Swanky wrote:
BK's recipes are there, trust me! Make sure you have it in your resources, not that it should matter as a default.

Basement Kahuna likes to use Cuarenta Y Tres (Licor 43). I've found two recipes so far that call for it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies