Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Celebrating 1 year Nicotine free!

Pages: 1 26 replies

TM

On Thursday, I celebrated my one year anniversity of quitting Nicotine. It's been a long, hard road...but I feel GREAT! Several of you have communicated with me in PMs regarding your own successes....let's hear about them here!

One thing I would like to ask, is that we refrain from discussing the political aspect of smoking. Is there one? You bet! There are people who don't like anyone telling them what to do, or trying to influence others...as was pointed out last year when I made a similar thread....

So, if you LOVE smoking, in all it's myriad ways, and love exposing people to second hand smoking and think it is your right to do so...please abstain from also contaminating this thread. I am not judging you, ok? Do what you want. This thread is for those of us that have struggled with a serious addiction, and overcame it!

Smoking is such a serious addiction, even more so then Heroin. It's tought to quit!

B

Good for you Lucas - I'm jealous. What made you quit and how did you go about it (cold turkey, patch, gum, etc.). Have you had those dreams where you are smoking, know you're not supposed to be, but say "oh well" and keep smoking anyhow? I had those the first time I tried to quit.

Currently I'm throwing off the chains of another addiction - pot (only 2 weeks though). I would continue but I can't find a job that doesn't test and I can't afford it anymore! I have noticed however that I'm not coughing NEARLY as much as I was - BONUS! I'm mostly finding it difficult to "fill in" those spaces that used to be filled with getting high - playing on the computer is SO less fun without a buzz!

Keep up the good work man!

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2010-03-27 09:21 ]

CONGRATS LUCAS!!!!!!

I remember your post from a year ago and had wondered how you were doing on that. Just didn't want to ask in case it didn't work out for you :) Take that $1800 (a pack a day for a year) and buy yourself a nice celebration present!

TK

congrats dude. very good work.

That's Huge Lucas!!

Congratulations!

Congrats on a year Man!! I just recently quit smoking (cigs)...I got a few weeks under my belt!! I keep thinking I am going to bum one and then I think about how good I am doing!!! Needless to say, patting myself on the back is what keeps me from picking those damn things up!! So far so GOOD!!!

On 2010-03-27 09:20, beadtiki wrote:
Good for you Lucas - I'm jealous. What made you quit and how did you go about it (cold turkey, patch, gum, etc.). Have you had those dreams where you are smoking, know you're not supposed to be, but say "oh well" and keep smoking anyhow? I had those the first time I tried to quit.

Currently I'm throwing off the chains of another addiction - pot (only 2 weeks though). I would continue but I can't find a job that doesn't test and I can't afford it anymore! I have noticed however that I'm not coughing NEARLY as much as I was - BONUS! I'm mostly finding it difficult to "fill in" those spaces that used to be filled with getting high - playing on the computer is SO less fun without a buzz!

Keep up the good work man!

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2010-03-27 09:21 ]

Cold turkey is the absolute way to go! It's like ripping off a band aid quick as opposed to slow, and painfully. Does that make sense?

As for your other issue...I have found that Ambien works just as good for falling asleep! And yep, at first i had those dreams where I had "Blown it", but thank god I woke up and realized I was still good!

As for why I quit...the usual reason. I was not strong enough to do it for the right reason. My Dad died two years ago from lung cancer, and it was a painful, horrible death not worth the momentary pleasure people get from lighting up when you are out partying, or whatever. Just not worth it. I know that on his deathbed, he was deeply regretting ever having started. Too little, too late. I just don't want to go out that way. I also lost my gramps too emphasema, and my uncle too...all from smoking. All in the last 5 years, too. That's too many deaths all related to the same thing.

My family is all from Europe, both sides. So smoking was a part of thier life from an early age on.

I do want to "out" one of my friends, Spike Marble (Lucky Designs). He also has been smoke free for a long time now. Having friends helps. People like Tiki Bong gave me great advice and provided moral support. We all have to help each other, you know? That's why I am coming forward with this personal stuff. If even one person copies me and the rest of us that have quit this shitty habit...it's totally worth it!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-03-27 10:49 ]

On 2010-03-27 10:26, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Congrats on a year Man!! I just recently quit smoking (cigs)...I got a few weeks under my belt!! I keep thinking I am going to bum one and then I think about how good I am doing!!! Needless to say, patting myself on the back is what keeps me from picking those damn things up!! So far so GOOD!!!

Keep it up and contact me if you need moral support! Keep on reminding yourself that you are doing a GREAT THING! Every time you regret, or crave, or get jealous of others lighting up...remind yourself was a good thing you are doing! Believe me, a year from now you will be a very happy man, Spermy!

First, Congrats! A year! And it gets nothing but easier from here on out.

Then, As a reformed smoker, and reformed quitter I can offer this little graph to those currently off of cigarettes but wondering if I could have 'just one' and be Ok...

Having quit and started and quit again a whole bunch of times I can vouch for the validity of this graph.

Wow Lucas - good incentive but bad how it came about. I TOTALLY understand the "rip the bandaid fast" comment - both my folks quit (before I was born) and they said the same thing - just quit...don't mess with those patches and, recently, holy SHIT - I would NEVER do that chantix crap! Too many people experiencing too many bad and weird side effects. Defeats the purpose of quitting smoking if you're going to commit suicide from the supposed "cure!" I only wish that when I DO try to quit that my husband will also - he's one of those with an "addictive personality" so quitting ANYthing is like pulling teeth (something he's already short of! LOL). Thanks for sharing and here's to the rest of your life as a smoke-free dude!

Oh, and EXCELLENT graph C&A!

TM

On 2010-03-27 12:38, beadtiki wrote:
I only wish that when I DO try to quit that my husband will also -

Sometimes you need to lead by example!

This is a tough one, though. If you try to quit, you will have constant temptation around you. Lucky for me, no one in our house currently smokes.

I would strongly advise going somewhere for about a month. Take a solo vacation, maybe even a cruise or something. A long one. After a month, you are way over the hump...it's easy to put up with people doing it around you.

I was playing gigs with various bands I am in, in bars, clubs, lot's of places where people were smoking around me....I just made sure I did not do it! All that happened during the time I first quit. It's something can be done!

Yes, it can be done. Ben and I are 4 days shy of 5 months!

I'm glad you posted this, Lucas!! One full year!!! That's fantastic! Please don't delete this thread if people make stupid comments. Your first thread, a year ago, was a huge influence for me....I was bummed when it was shut down. Maybe this thread will help someone who is thinking of quitting?

Believe me, and most people who know Ben and me, if we can quit....ANYONE can quit. :D

Keep going Spermy!!!!!!!!!

Good on you.

Nicotine is such a deadly poison, a tablespoon could kill a hundred people.

TM

On 2010-03-27 18:06, Mrs Bamboo wrote:
8)
Yes, it can be done. Ben and I are 4 days shy of 5 months!

I'm glad you posted this, Lucas!! One full year!!! That's fantastic! Please don't delete this thread if people make stupid comments. Your first thread, a year ago, was a huge influence for me....I was bummed when it was shut down. Maybe this thread will help someone who is thinking of quitting?

Believe me, and most people who know Ben and me, if we can quit....ANYONE can quit. :D

Keep going Spermy!!!!!!!!!

You guys are amazing, and I am deeply impressed by your commitment! 5 months! That's really something!

How do you feel? Doing ok? Cravings still come and go, but they are not as bad, right?

Dude! Awesome sauce, one year... fabulous. I started around November (don't ask) and just recently stopped again. Nothing like bronchitus and an acute asthma attack to make you realize that you just shouldn't be smoking! Bleh. So no mas for me.

MB

Feeling fantastic, Lucas! Really glad we took the bastard by the horns and snuffed it out (literally).
:)

WooooooHooooooo! Congratulations Mick...before you know it, it will be another year :)

TM

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I LOVE being an ex smoker!

fuck ya!

Congratulations. Smoking was the major factor in my father not recovering from his last heart surgery. So when I hear people quit smoking, I actually feel good about it. . . even if I don't know them personally.

It's hard work but I think it's totally worth it -- if not for one's self then for those family and friends who still want to have you around.

Cheers !

wow one yr. I think you're safe now from even considering a relapse.
I have never smoke cigarettes ( yuck) and as some one who enjoys clean fresh air thank you for no longer adding to the polution.

TM

Well, not safe from a relapse....not ever, not at all. It's like being an alcoholic. Even once you are sober for 20 years, you are still an addict. it never goes away. What goes away are the cravings. I have none at this point.

But the lesson learned from 3 years ago is that one puff, and you are right back on it!

I quit from 2000 to 2007. That was 7 years, and I thought I was totally out of the woods. Then I went to Vegas, got drunk, bought a 50 dollar cigar and it was so damned good that I immediately bought a regular pack of cigs the very next day...and resumed smoking. So from 2007 to 2009, I was smoking and chewing again.

I have learned my lesson. Quitting is too hard, and I don't want to go through it again. So I have stopped for good, but always know that I am at risk for that stupid moment of weakness when a person thinks they are "safe".

Lucas,

just know that if I ever see you with a cig in yer mouth,
moments later, you will have my foot in yer ass.

Jeff(btd)

Lucas,

just know that if I ever see you with a cig in yer mouth,
moments later,i will bum one from you....

TM

Youse guys are crazy!

R

:lol: The shenanigans those two will get themselves in when that carpool happens this weekend!

but not to sidetrack, CONGRATS LUCAS!!!

A year now of nicotine-free lungs? kick-ass!!!

before y'know it you'll be makin a "Celebrating 2 years Nicotine free!" thread - yay!

Keep at it! :D

No car pool for Kenny and I this weekend.
Doug needs to leave on Fri. and I can't go till Sat morn.
alas maybe another time.
:wink:

back to the smoke topic.
Somebody Slipped last night at Dons.
he had bummed a smoke outside, while on the phone.
came back in smelling like an ashtray.
I gave him a good razzing.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-04-06 21:04 ]

Pages: 1 26 replies