Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Rum Shaker Dubbed it "Frankie's West"

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

TT

For about the past year I have been working on my 12 foot by 30 foot covered patio. I'd like to share some pictures with you now so I can get some feed back from you masters.

This is what I started with. The first thing it got was a new corrugated metal roof.

And the inside.

I re framed the walls to accommodate the windows I built. I could not find windows that hinged at the top. I wanted them to swing out of the way so people could stand inside or out with out running into the windows.

I ran two new electrical circuits, one for the outlets and one for lighting.

I was not as diligent about taking pictures as I should have been. Here the electrical is complete, the windows are in and the insulation and drywall are up.

Here you can see the floor for the "hut"

I painted the walls and ceiling panels a dark chocolate color so you could not see white through the matting.

Then the matting went on the walls.

Then the ceiling. I glued the Lahala to plywood and then screwed it to the ceiling.

One of Bamboo Ben's creations.

Then the Bamboo went up.

The "hut" got a bamboo floor.

The lights on the posts are from the Polynesian Resort in Disney World.

The entry into the hut.

I put tapa cloth around the window on the wall facing the yard.

The roof over the hut.

A lot of tieing.

Bamboo going up on the ceiling. The lights are the old gazing ball in the basketball net trick.

Cleaned the place up a bit so I had room the make the bar top.

One corner of the Hut.

Ok, so it's pretty close to done.

The place looks pretty cool at night.

Patti enjoying the room.

Behind the bar.

What will ya have?

I have done some more decorating since I took these pictures. I found some really cool furniture on Craig's list that is also in the room. I'll post pictures of it soon.

So guys, what do you think? Am I headed in the right direcion?

[ Edited by: Tuna Tiki 2010-04-30 16:46 ]

Aww...c'mon, you already know you're heading in the right direction. It's beautiful.

Looks freaking Great!!!

Dude this place you built if flippin awesome. That was a lot of work you put into it. Don't forget to pipe in some Tiki Tunes. Great job!

Great job
The tied joints and bamboo work look absolutely fantastic!
Trader Bob...

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2010-04-30 19:19 ]

Dude, you are on a one-way street to Tiki Town! Looks fantastic! My only recommendation is not to think of it as "done"... seems there is always some little corner or element that can be dressed up or added. You have some great skills and should be very proud. Mix up a cold one and enjoy!

Great job. What a transformation. You sure did a lot of great work in a year. Keep the pictures coming. Love the work you did on the ceiling. Oh hell, I love all the work you did.

Very nice! zazz!

That looks amazing. Great job. Hard to believe that is the same space you started with.

R

Very nice job TunaTiki. I look forward to some more pics.

A

Wow, great job! When's the party?

TT

Thanks for all the great words guys.

Thought I'd share a couple of more pictures.

Abstractiki asked about tunes. I found these cool tiki speakers on Ebay, they sound amazingly good. There is one in each corner of the room. There is also 250 watt sub-woofer under the bar that will shake the paint off the walls. I have about 20 hours of tiki music on the ipod so far.

I found some more furniture on Craigslist. A guy way out in the desert had these chairs laying out in a pile of junk outside his double wide. Gave him 20 bucks for the pair. A coat of linseed oil and a couple of cushions from Home Goods and we're off to the races.

Before.

After.

Also found this one on Craigslist.
Need to find cushions for this one.

Another chair I picked up.
Getting ready to strip for refinishing.

Stripped ready for finish.
Need cushions for his one also.

A lamp I got from the guy out in the desert. It stands about 2 feet tall. Anybody recognize it? I've never seen anything like it.

Just a cool little corner table.

Another picture of the room during the day.

[ Edited by: Tuna Tiki 2010-05-01 15:07 ]

Absolutely STUNNING & GORGEOUS!!
Showing beginning to end is cool as we get to see your dream come true! Most impressive!

Congratulations!

K

A lamp I got from the guy out in the desert. It stands about 2 feet tall. Anybody recognize it? I've never seen anything like it.

Nice work on the room!

Those lanterns are used in Balinese garden design. They are sometimes called hairy lanterns. I've run across a few locally in thrift stores and on Craigslist. I snap them up when I see them. They lend a great ambience to the yard at night.

That room looks AMAZING! Everything looks so well crafted and joined. Great job man.

Terrific, you are wonderfully creative, the ceiling is super. I'm sending this off to Kingstiedye. He was looking for ideas for his ceiling. Wendy

UB

A great job, excellent bamboo work.

Wow...great job, you are certainly a builder with a good vision. Looks very tropical and beautiful furniture.

I'm moving back!!!! TODAY!!! haha, wow Jeff, it truly is an amazing room. Happy early birthday present for you from you!! I'll be happy to lend my services mixing drinks for the inaugural bash. Can't wait!!
Rumshaker

On 2010-05-02 12:08, Rumshaker wrote:
I'll be happy to lend my services mixing drinks for the inaugural bash. Can't wait!!
Rumshaker

Well you read it here! Rumshaker, you need to create a signature drink for Jeff! I can't wait!
Great job Jeff!

M

DUDE!!!

That room is killer... from start to finish you are doing things in a high quality way.... Nicely Done

W

Absolutely love your space! What a great place to come home to and relax with a tasty Mai Tai!

Fantastic transformation!

Chris

Is that my pressure washer in the 2nd picture?
This is a silk purse from a sows ear, that patio sat abandoned for many years and what you have done with it is pure poetry. I witnessed the hard work and saw you work out the details. You hit a home run on this one! (The fact that you are a Senior Carpenter shows!) Looking forward to many a Mai Tai in your place!

TT

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. It has been a lot of work, but I think worth it. Now to continue with the fun part of decorating. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

And yes,Banana Bobs, that is your pressure washer. Why, you want it back???

MR

Super cool use of the space. Decorating is the never-ending FUN!!!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 4:39 PM

A+. GROG like.

Decorating will be the fun part! The only thing that I might suggest is some greenery, either real or fake. Looks like there is a spot next to the door that would hold a nice potted palm. :)

Can't believe you are asking for suggestions. Everything you have done is amazing. Go with your gut and have a blast.

That looks amazing. Fantastic work.

TT

On 2010-05-03 18:09, littlegiles wrote:
Decorating will be the fun part! The only thing that I might suggest is some greenery, either real or fake. Looks like there is a spot next to the door that would hold a nice potted palm. :)

I agree, some greenery would be nice. The spot next to the door is reserved for this;

A little something Crazy Al whipped for me, LOL. Al is the greatest and I feel honored that he would carve a tiki for me. I was thinking of raising it up a little and putting lava rock around the base. Not an original idea, but I like the look. All I have to do is figure out how to get it off the front porch and into the back where the tiki room is.

Maybe a few hanging plants. Can't have enough stuff hanging from the ceiling. I'll post some more pictures when I get some more stuff up.

B

Nice job. Looks great at night.

W

That's a really nice space, I like the simple, clean look of it!

G

Wow, you kind of came out of nowhere with this. From nothing to nearly finished room in one post. Nice job! The bamboo and rope tying are particularly well done. And I like the tapa around the windows. My only suggestion would be to collect lots of artwork (velvets, etc), maybe a few war clubs too and fill up those walls! It's looking great.

B

DAYUM TUNA!

That is the finest tiki room i have seen in a residence...amazing job!!!!!

Mad Alohas,

toes

TT

Thank you for all the kind words you all have been posting. And keep the suggestions coming. As GatorRob suggested, I do have some art that needs to go up on the walls. I need to find the time to make frames. I have not seen any that I really like that are pre-made. A war club or two is a great idea.

I did get the big tiki into the room. I put it up on a pedestal surrounded it with black lava rock and lit it with some red lights. This Crazy Al creation stands a little better than 4 feet tall.

Unfortunately the red lights don't photograph very well.

More pictures to come.

I think the new Tiki looks quite happy in the corner and I like the red light shining on him. I don't know about everyone else, but I think a night shot showing the mood lighting on him would be wonderful. :) No pressure. LOL

Thanks for the update.

For some reason, without the flash, everything comes out really red.

re-name it the "Red Room"... :wink:

Well they may be red, but I'm still loving the whole dark vibe in the pictures. I think if you put some greenery around his base and something a bit taller behind him it would really set him down there. The lights reflecting up into the leaves would be awesome and cast some fun shadows on the ceiling!

I know...I know...I'm mentioning greenery again. Forgive me. :)

Your room looks amazingly classy. Even if you didn't have any lamps or furniture, the wall coverings alone would make for a perfect starting point. You could probably even rig that balinese hut to be a hanging lamp if you found another lamp that you liked for the table. The seperation of the hut from the lounge area looks great also. I'm sure you'll fill that place up with cool artifacts in no time at all.

TT

As I mentioned in my first post, I had to build the windows and frames myself as I wanted something that hinged from the top and could not find anything to fit the bill. My reasoning was, I wanted people outside in the yard to be able to talk to the people inside the room without a window being in the way. So I figured if they were hinged from the top, they would swing up and out of the way. The window sills are just at leaning height and extra wide to set a drink on.

My next problem was how to keep the windows open. One day when I was opening the rear hatch of Patti's Tahoe and a light bulb went off, gas springs. I found out later that is their real name. You know those skinny black shock absorber looking things. As I started researching them, I found selecting the correct one is like rocket science. Looking through online catalogs, there six or seven bazillion different configurations of length, spring pressure etc. Then comes the problem of where to place them on the window and frame. Then I found a supplier that offered engineering services. I called them up, gave them all the dimensions and about 4 hours later received an email with all the calculations. The guy suggested buying just one set to make sure it performed as I wanted it to before buying all 10 pair. Well , I received the first set Friday, got them installed and they work better than I had hoped. I am going to order the rest of them tomorrow

Take a look;

As you can see, I still have some more painting to do.

The wall decorating continues as does the furnicating. That would be the technical term for selecting and placing furniture.

Thanks for looking

I happen to love furnicating :wink:. No really, I'm still looking for some rattan/bamboo furniture to properly furnicate mt PatiOasis with. You're doing a great job, and it really seems like the redo is only taking a couple of weekends to to redo at the rate the pics are being posted. You really make me want to to re-dub mine the Fool's Paradise ( for the time it's taking me to do the build ). Anyway keep at it, and I hope to post as frequent as you.

Mahalo Mark.

Hi Tuna Tiki! That is one AMAZING transformation!!! I love it!

On 2010-05-31 18:25, Tuna Tiki wrote:
As I mentioned in my first post, I had to build the windows and frames myself...

Really? You built those frames all by yourself?

TT
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.