Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Rum Shaker Dubbed it "Frankie's West"

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

TT

Many thanks everyone for all the kind words. You guys "looking over my shoulder" both keeps me honest and pushes me to keep going, which I need.

EGT, first, AZ rocks. On stripping furniture, after spending a bunch of money on stripper and sandpaper and many many hours of not having any fun at all, I threw in the towel and took the chair to a local furniture stripper to clean up my mess. Not having any idea what the job was worth, I was expecting to end up paying like a hundred bucks and waiting a week. The guy looked over the chair and apologetically said he was going to have to charge me 40 bucks and said he was going to need it the rest of the day. 'bout broke my arm pulling my wallet out. Then the guy tells me I would have been better off bringing it to him in the beginning. He said he had to charged me a little extra to undo what I did. Take a lesson. As far as re-upholstery, when you crack that code, let me know. It's not cheap.

TD, I got the rest of the gas springs for the windows, take a look.

Part of our haul from Tiki Caliente last weekend

Again, thanks for looking,

Jeff

[ Edited by: tuna tiki 2010-06-14 19:09 ]

R

Hey where are the new pictures?......?????

Wow, those windows are bitchin'! All that science and physics paid off. Very cool.

R

Bump

TT

OK, so it's been a while since I've shown any progress. Here are a few things I have done lately.

Back of the bar, first go round.

The bar works, another happy customer.

Some pictures behind the bar

Another angle behind the bar.

Yea, we were there.

Back of the bar second go round. I have the monitor hooked up to a DVD player to play old Hawaiian and surf videos for a little distraction. What do you think?

Come on down.

Some more stuff on a Bamboo Ben table.

Some more art.

Found these bamboo blinds. A real life saver for all the west facing windows.

I also put some window tint film on the windows, that really helps with the summer heat here in the San Fernando valley.

It's a work in progress. You guys are right, it will never be done. Hope you like it so far.

W

On 2010-10-01 17:54, Tuna Tiki wrote:
OK, so it's been a while since I've shown any progress. Hope you like it so far.

I do! Great space!

Chris

Your windows turned out very nice. Great Job!!!

Awesome Job!!!!

where did you find those tiki end tables, of did you have them made? They're awesome! I love'em!!!

T

Extraordinary in every way! I looked back through the postings and am awestruck by the transformation of this space into a tiki paradise. Love the rich tropical ambiance of the bamboo trim / window treatments and lahala (cabana) mat coverings.

TT

On 2011-01-24 20:51, liltikichef wrote:
where did you find those tiki end tables, of did you have them made? They're awesome! I love'em!!!

Hi LTC and welcome. I'm not sure I know what tables you are talking about. If it is the short tiki with the travel bar sitting on it, I bought that one from a guy at work who had it in his garage for years. I have two bamboo glass topped end tables that came in a set with six chairs and a dining table I picked up at a consignment shop. Anyway, thanx for the compliment.

Turns out my neighbor,s cousin is an incredible air brush/pin stripping artist. Right now he is air brushing a whole tiki thing on the front of the bar and a hula girl on the end. It should be done in a couple of days. I will be posting pictures. We are also making plans for him to do our travel trailer for Amy's Mojave Oasis. Pictures of that coming also.

TT

I have no idea why I thought to get a rain lamp, as I found out they're called. I always viewed them as being really ugly. Maybe that's why, the challenge. This is what I started out with.

I figured I had to cover the antiqued brass bowls with something, so a trip to Chinatown for lunch and shopping. A bunch of plastic flowers and couple of pieces of bamboo to cover the posts and it's read to go together.

The top hat goes on, and the Greek "goddess" gets replaced with a wahine, topless, of course.

So I get the whole thing together and the pump takes a crap.

Take it all back apart to replace the pump. Oil everywhere.

All fixed. Ready to go.

I replaced the standard flood light with a color changing LED.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out, thought I'd show it off.

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Mar 7, 2011 4:09 PM

good there

I love that! Great job.

Darilyn

F

Thats brilliant! you completely changed the look of something that wouldnt appear 'tiki' in any way, and now it just works! I'll bet that looks great at night.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies