Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemon Hart 151

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

I just purchased my first bottle of Lemon Hart 151 from a store on Coronado Island in San Diego.

On 2010-09-20 12:38, GeneriKB wrote:
Any other good Lemon Hart recipes that I could try?

I really like the "Hart of Darkness" from Beachbum Berry Remixed.

kevin

On 2010-09-20 19:57, heylownine wrote:

On 2010-09-20 12:38, GeneriKB wrote:
Any other good Lemon Hart recipes that I could try?

I really like the "Hart of Darkness" from Beachbum Berry Remixed.

kevin

I'll agree with that

A

On 2010-09-20 18:48, Maitai Mike wrote:
I just purchased my first bottle of Lemon Hart 151 from a store on Coronado Island in San Diego.

WHAT!? Which store? Did they have more in stock? How much were they selling for?

T

I saw that bottle when we were there in July.
Told a guy next to me to get the Lemon Hart run as it's great!
He did not buy it, I did not buy it, as I have 4 now.
If it's the same store they only had the one out front.
It is a big store kinda off the main drag.

T

It was Park Place Liquor.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/park-place-liquor-coronado
My wife and her family went to Mootime ice cream.
And I went for booze.

I'm afraid it was the last one on the shelf. It was the store on Orange Avenue next to Vons and across from a gas station. Sorry I don't recall the name. I was visiting from North Carolina.

T

I was just in a liquor store near my house today and they 8 bottles of 151 left. I am heading to LA in a couple of weeks so if anybody in SoCal needs one, PM me and we will set it up.

J

While we await the resolution to this crisis, I pass on this tidbit from The Bum his own bad self:

"Nothing subs for the LH 151, I'm afraid. But you could try mixing Woods Navy 100 with a Spanish-style 151 like Cruzan or Bacardi and see what happens (start with 2 parts Woods to 1 part 151)...happy mixing!"

I'm thinking of using Gosling's in lieu of the Bacardi in this formula. Also, it may seem crazy-obvious, wherever a drink calls for X oz. of PR gold rum and X ounces LH 151, I do the switcheroo with El Dorado 12 and Bacardi 151. Which IMCO is 99.999% as good as the original.

Just a thought.

A

Speaking of Beachbum Berry, I seem to recall he was going to work with distillers to see if someone would produce a Demerara 151 that could be used as a substitute. Anyone close to the Bum to know if that went anywhere?

I did make a simi- home made brew that mimics LH 151 with out cutting down the 151 factor or losing the smokey flavors. Just play with it you will figure it out, or should I tell?

T

On 2010-09-21 21:33, TikiPug wrote:
I was just in a liquor store near my house today and they 8 bottles of 151 left. I am heading to LA in a couple of weeks so if anybody in SoCal needs one, PM me and we will set it up.

The rum has been purchased and accounted for.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 5:05 PM

On 2010-09-22 11:27, Hiphipahula wrote:
I did make a simi- home made brew that mimics LH 151 with out cutting down the 151 factor or losing the smokey flavors. Just play with it you will figure it out, or should I tell?

Do tell!

J

Tell, please. Trial and error during the Great Recession is not conducive to sanity, fiscal or otherwise.

Mahalo in advance,

On 2010-09-22 17:05, Murph wrote:

Do tell!

+1 Please spill it!!

On 2010-09-22 02:34, jokeiii wrote:
While we await the resolution to this crisis, I pass on this tidbit from The Bum his own bad self:

"Nothing subs for the LH 151, I'm afraid. But you could try mixing Woods Navy 100 with a Spanish-style 151 like Cruzan or Bacardi and see what happens (start with 2 parts Woods to 1 part 151)...happy mixing!"

I'm thinking of using Gosling's in lieu of the Bacardi in this formula. Also, it may seem crazy-obvious, wherever a drink calls for X oz. of PR gold rum and X ounces LH 151, I do the switcheroo with El Dorado 12 and Bacardi 151. Which IMCO is 99.999% as good as the original.

Just a thought.

In an email exchange that I had with Da Bum a few weeks ago, he gave me the very same advise:

"The LH 151 dilemma is a rough one. There really is no substitute. El Dorado’s suggestion [of mixing their 8, 12 or 15 year Demerara 50/50 with your favourite 151] is no good as far as I’m concerned, as if screws up the ABV of the drink. But you could try switching the Puerto Rican 80-proof and the Demerara 151-proof. That is, instead of 1.5 ounces Bacardi Gold and 1 ounce 151 El Dorado, do 1.5 ounces El Dorado 80-proof (which is actually a good Demerara, especially the 5-year and 8-year) and 1 ounce Bacardi 151."

ARRGggggg, supply of LH is limited and El Dorado is not available where I live. Been toying around with other rums but can't lock down the right percentages or even come close to the flavour.

The Bum's suggestion using El Dorado and Bacardi 151 is the way I've had to do it from the 'get-go' since Lemon Hart us totally unknown here. Of course, never having had Lemon Hart . . . I obviously can draw no comparison . . . but the drink is a damn good one anyway!

The 2:1 Woods Navy and Goslings 151 works well.

A

On 2010-09-27 07:44, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

I think I'd happen upon another bottle of LH 151 before I found a bottle of Wood's Navy Rum on a shelf in these parts.

Maybe a combo of the two suggestions above? 2:1 El Dorado Demerara and Goslings 151

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-09-27 08:58 ]

On 2010-09-27 08:57, arriano wrote:

I think I'd happen upon another bottle of LH 151 before I found a bottle of Wood's Navy Rum on a shelf in these parts.

Maybe a combo of the two suggestions above? 2:1 El Dorado Demerara and Goslings 151

FYI-I've already contacted Woods, they do not export to the USA.

On 2010-09-27 09:27, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

On 2010-09-27 08:57, arriano wrote:

FYI-I've already contacted Woods, they do not export to the USA.

Ouch! Maybe I'LL be sending care parcels to the USA.

T

On 2010-09-22 14:10, TikiPug wrote:

On 2010-09-21 21:33, TikiPug wrote:

The rum has been purchased and accounted for.

I just want to reiterate that the rum has been purchased, and called for. There is no more. Sorry.

T

"I just want to reiterate that the rum has been purchased, and called for. There is no more. Sorry."

Great! I will take two, Can you ship to Ohio? :P

T

On 2010-09-30 16:38, tikiskip wrote:
"I just want to reiterate that the rum has been purchased, and called for. There is no more. Sorry."

Great! I will take two, Can you ship to Ohio? :P

Would you like it sent FedEx or UPS?

[ Edited by: tikipug 2010-10-01 19:39 ]

Making Puka Punch for Sacramento Home Tiki Bar Crawl in 1 week. Have precious little LH 151 left and definitely not enough for the hoards on the crawl so am going to test out mixing regular proof LH with Goslings 151. Any suggestions?

On 2010-10-01 11:08, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Making Puka Punch for Sacramento Home Tiki Bar Crawl in 1 week. Have precious little LH 151 left and definitely not enough for the hoards on the crawl so am going to test out mixing regular proof LH with Goslings 151. Any suggestions?

I have another post up touching on this subject. I had the good fortune of finding a partially pull botle of LH151 that I left at the house that we've rented for our vacation in Marco Island the last time that we were here. I was finnally able to try Gosling's 151 directly against the LH151. Gosling's flavour is all wrong-it has top notes that are reminiscent of root beer, and lacks the smokey notes of the Demerara rum. I think that Cruzan 151 might be a better sub for LH151 then the Gosling's; it's cleaner tasting at least.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

R
rupe33 posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2010 2:23 PM

Great article on the Lemon Hart situation over at the "A Mountain Of Crushed Ice" blog:
http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=11088

Aloha,
Rupe

Here is an update from the A Mountain of Crushed Ice blog: http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/

Something is brewing…i can sense it - or is this only my own imagination?

But in a while i believe we might have LH151 available for the US to start with..(hoping Europe will follow)

LH151 was for a while believed of being discontinued - but that`s not what happened. Instead what actually happened was that Pernod were looking to sell the brand..and so eventually it was sold - as many of you already know - and is now being produced in Canada by Mosaiq who bought the formula and rights to the Lemon Hart brand from Pernod Ricard in feb 2010.

Pernod had been blending and bottling Lemon Hart 151 at their Corby Distillers plant in Windsor, Ontario since they bought Allied Domecq on July 26, 2005. This actually was one of the places where prohibition spirits once were manufactured before being smuggled to the US. Mosaiq now has a new bottle and label which is close to how the old one look like, you can find a picture of the new here and on their website - http://www.mosaiqinc.com

After a few trademark disputes over use of the ‘Demerara’ name, Demerara Distillers Limited has agreed to not only supply Mosaiq rum but has also licensed them to use the Demerara Rum name of the new Lemon Hart labels.

I find the new bottle and labels to be quite nice, not too different from the ones we are used to, so that`s ok with me - or really - they could use any label and bottle as long this rum continues to be produced..

So LH151 will continue to be produced as was before Mosaiq bought the brand, but now it will be blended and bottled - from the same Demerara Rum as before - but at a facility in Newfoundland.

Well..the US is waiting to be able to buy it..and not only in the US are people waiting..hoping…dying of thirst for LH151..

Lemon Hart 80 proof is widely available in Canada, but Lemon Hart 151 isn’t sold anywhere as far i`ve heard, due to a lack of demand. Considering the lack of attention paid to the brand by Pernod,that might change. In the meantime there are only a few pallets of Lemon Hart 151 quietly waiting in a Windsor, Ontario warehouse for the dust to settle from the acquisition of the Lemon Hart brand.

So what’s the problem? Windsor Ontario is just across the river from Detroit and you can see the US from the warehouse. Well, in order for the last cases of Lemon Hart 151 that Pernod bottled to be sold, Mosaiq has to make a deal with a US importer to import and market this rum.

Then in addition to paying for the rum, there is the Federal Tax that has to be paid when the rum is carried across the border. The old labels say ‘Imported by Pernod.’ This isn’t a big deal but it takes time to get a letter of exception for the rum to be imported by a third party or a sticker has to be added to the bottle, and Mosaiq has yet to appoint an importer.

THE LEMON HART BRAND

This brand was established in 1804 by Mr. (Lehmynn) Lemon Hart who also became one of the first rum suppliers to the Brittish Navy, so this rum has some history…and rum were brought over the seas to be blended at his Lemon Hart Rum Company in London.

Actually there are two 80 proof rums, but in the US and Canada there is no Jamaican Lemon Hart which is sold in Europe and also exists in an overproof (73%) version and then we have the 151 demerara - so there´s four different Lemon Hart rums in the world.

In Canada the Demerara rums will be bottled at 80 and 151 proof. Probably the Jamaican Lemon Hart rums are going to go away. The Canadian label only shows 80 proof since that is the only label that is currently sold in Canada. According to Mosaiq there has never been any demand for Lemon Hart 151 in Canada - but i`m sure there must be some fans of this rum there…?

The 151 demerara is a jewel of rum and which really is irreplacable and the reason we can`t let this rum go.. This is a rum so perfectly suited for real full flavored rum drinks and absolutely necessary for many exotic tiki drinks.

LH151 really got that flavor..its absolutely full bodied, strong and so satisfying and makes for perfect floats - really its the ideal floating rum..and as its a highproof rum it should of course be used in moderation but it defenetily makes cocktails kick ass.

At one session at the Tales this summer (Full Sail) the message was clear - Bring back LH151!

I sit here with my one bottle of the precious stuff which i`m gonna try to really pace with..but that´s not so easy, neither is it fun, i wanna be able to enjoy this rum whenever i want without having to worry about not being able to find it again once its finished.

I know there`s many that, like me, sit with their last bottles..or their last three bottles, and wonder if they will ever see another bottle. And there are even more that wish they even had a bottle of Lemon Hart 151. Those of you who managed to stock up - you are lucky!

It still seems to be available in some remote places and a few of the good tikibars still pour it, but only because they were able to buy it up as the supply dried up in the US. There are many more bars that have pulled drinks from their menu because they can’t get LH 151 at all. To complicate the problem, in the US, state rules prohibit bars from buying alcohol from out of state and pouring it in the bar so even if a bartender can find the odd bottle or even rarer case of Lemon Hart, they can’t legally pour it.

But for most of us, we all had the same questions, when will it come back and if so, to WHERE? - well folks..now we know..the new questions are: When and where will it be available to the US? and then - internationally? There is a Lemon Hart 151 Facebook fan page where you can check for the latest news.

In the meantime while i´m waiting to get an answer i`ll swizzle up something that needs a little LH151 in it because rum is supposed to be enjoyed right?

Found three bottles of the 80 proof on the shelf in Massachusetts on Sunday so that was a nice surprise.

R

On 2010-10-13 18:33, rev_thumper wrote:
Found three bottles of the 80 proof on the shelf in Massachusetts on Sunday so that was a nice surprise.

Several places in MA still have LH 80's kicking around. With El Dorado available (in MA anyway) there is no huge incentive to hoard LH 80 (other than it being half the price of ED 12 or 15).

LH 151 was pretty hard to come by even when it was available; I only know of two places around Boston that stocked it.

RG

Sorry I haven't posted this before today, but I've been busy drinking rum in Portland and San Francisco.

Caribbean Spirits Inc has been appointed US importer of Lemon Hart Demerara Rums in the US. It is going to take some time to get through the government regulations to import the last of the Lemon Hart 151 that was left in a Canadian warehouse after Pernod Ricard sold the brand to Mosaiq, but it's in the works.

After the last of the old label has been imported, there will be a new bottle and label coming to the worldwide market. When the new bottle and label are released Lemon Hart will be bottled in Newfoundland after being aged and blended in Guyana where the base spirit has been distilled for many years.

The Caribbean Spirits website doesn't yet have any more information about Lemon Hart and is undergoing a major update in preparation for the addition of this iconic rum brand.

Distribution channels are going to change in many states. Pernod Ricard sold the Lemon Hart Demerara Rum brand after their careful analysis revealed that the demand for this rum was declining. Lemon Hart will now be distributed by distributors who focus on quality over quantity.

A

Thanks Rum Guy for the update. When the "new" Lemon Hart comes out, will it feature both 80 and 151 proof, or just the 80?

I got to hand it to Pernod Ricard: "We don't advertise Lemon Hart, don't making any attempt to push the brand in the marketplace, and yet no matter how little we do to promote the brand, sales are still declining. It's a head scratcher."

Ed, thanks for the news!

Skal,
Erik the Red

EDIT: HA! Ed. We are interested!

http://www.houndsavers.org http://vivakate.org/

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-10-31 16:28 ]

Caribbean Spirits now has a Facebook page focused on Lemon Hart 151 ...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lemon-Hart-151/109958532398674

Nothing new other than what's posted above but hopefully they'll keep this updated.

I don't think Caribbean Spirits is running that page.

Ed, I didn't put two and three together. :drink: Please let us know when you get it shipped out and we will look for it.

Cheers, :drink:
Erik

C

There's a post on Beachbum Berry's blog with some good Lemon Hart news:

http://beachbumberry.com/2010/10/31/pour-your-hart-out/

MN

The new label?

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-02-01 20:21 ]

like, but,
is it me, or does the Rum Look lighter?
hopefully its the light in the picture.
;-/

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-11-03 09:05 ]

A

I would suspect that it's lightened in one way or another for the photo - to show a better contrast. But it will be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison to determine if it really is indeed the same. Fingers crossed.

I do like that the "151" is more prominent on the label. I never understood why they hid that in the corner.

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-11-03 13:21 ]

Wow...I haven't checked this thread since the early pages, but I'm stoked to hear the good news! I can finally give a real pour of LH151 in all the drinks that have needed it these past 9 months!

T

"like, but,
is it me, or does the Rum Look lighter?"

There must be tons of LH151 in the home tiki bars
across the globe.
If it is not the same you will know.

On a side note how long can you keep this rum before it
starts to change in flavor.
Used to think it would be a long time.
But I got a bottle off of an old Kahiki bartender (It was from the 60s)
and it was open the rum inside was not so great.

I'm just hoping that they'll make the 151 available on the Canadian Market now...There's plenty of the unleaded here...

I picked up this last bottle on the shelf in a store in Albuquerque. Is this a good score?

On 2010-11-24 17:06, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I picked up this last bottle on the shelf in a store in Albuquerque. Is this a good score?

I say "good enough" to save until the new product arrives. If you are not familiar with the LH demerara of old then please try the new version first if you can wait that long. That way we can get a different perspective of a side by side review.
The new stuff will probably hit the NY area first anyways.
Keep your eye out for the old style of label your scored but, with the little red triangle in the upper left hand corner that says 151. I have not seen a new version of the 151 bottle yet.

I`m gonna try to make a taste test of the old and the new, whenever i get me a bottle of the new. But i suppose its the same rum in the bottles, just another label.

Updates?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies