Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemon Hart 151

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

Anyone know if and where the new Lemon Hart is available in the US?

RG

Thursday, Jan 27th, 2011, Caribbean Spirits Inc applied for a Use Up Permit, yes that's the priority name given to this special permit issued by the TTB - that wonderfully efficient branch of the US government that is responsible for all things alcohol.

The Use Up Permit will allow Caribbean Spirits Inc to import the last remaining 481 cases of Lemon Hart 151 from the Corby Distillers facility in Walkerville, ON. These cases will bear the words "Imported by Pernod Ricard, Purchase NY" on the back and will be the last cases of Lemon Hart Demerara Rum bearing those words.

To put a sticker on these cases as someone has suggested would be nearly impossible since you'd be dealing with several companies in two countries and the cost would be much more than the price of the rum. Part, and only part, of the story behind why this has taken so long is that Pernod sold the brand to Mosaiq and agreed not to sell any more Lemon Hart Rum and then found this rum in their warehouse. In order for Pernod to sell this rum, Caribbean Spirits had to agree to buy a ridiculous amount of product liability insurance and negotiate the deal with lawyers in Windsor, ON, Montreal, Quebec and New York.

Before you, or I, will be able to enjoy any of this rum, the application has to be approved by the TTB and then it has to be imported, cleared by customs and shipped to NJ from where it will be distributed in the US and I have no idea how long this will take, it's up to the government.

This product has been blended at the Corby Distillers, Walkerville/Windsor, ON facility for many years for the US market. Unlike the Lemon Hart 80 proof that is sold in Canada which has been blended with Canadian rum distilled in Newfoundland, I'm led to believe that the Lemon Hart 80proof rum sold heretofore in the US was not blended with Canadian rum but was blended only with rum from Guyana.

I will be going to Montreal, Quebec next month to meet with Mosaiq and representatives from the Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corporation to discuss a number of things concerning the future of Lemon Hart.

Here are a couple of other facts that I have confirmed from the previous brand owners. Lemon Hart 151 has never been sold in Canada. In addition to the Lemon Hart Demerara Rums, Pernod also blended and bottled some Lemon Hart Jamaica Rums that were sold primarily in Europe though small quantities were sold to an importer in NY and distributed to a few stores in CA in the past. Lemon Hart Jamaica Rum is finished with the conclusion of the brand purchase by Mosaiq.

DDL has confirmed to me that they will continue to sell aged rum to Mosaiq, to be blended by the NLLC under the Lemon Hart Demerara Rum label. DDL's office in Miami has nothing to do with the importation or distribution of Lemon Hart rum. DDL has no plans to blend or sell a competing rum anytime in the future.

If you would like to buy some of this rum don't call me, contact your local liquor store and ask them to have their distributor contact Caribbean Spirits. As an importer, Caribbean Spirits can only sell to licensed distributors, not retail stores nor law-abiding citizens who are not licensed to distribute alcohol beverages in their state of residence. Hey, this is after all the freest country in the world.

Hope this helps.

RG

On 2010-11-03 13:20, arriano wrote:
I would suspect that it's lightened in one way or another for the photo - to show a better contrast. But it will be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison to determine if it really is indeed the same. Fingers crossed.

I do like that the "151" is more prominent on the label. I never understood why they hid that in the corner.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-11-03 13:21 ]

This is a photoshop representation of a proposed new label. This is not a photo of the bottle or contents and I'm told that the label will not be exactly like this.

so is the Pernod produced LH 151 a good score, or not?

It pisses me off that we have all these cases of LH151 sitting in a warehouse in Southern Ontario and no one in Canada can have access to it! I just hope that the new production run will eventually be made available here. If not, it's time for some Black Bloc-style action at Mosaiq's office. Who's with me?

On 2011-01-30 21:56, thePorpoise wrote:

Yes, it's a good score. If you find some, buy it. Sounds like it's going to be a long time before the new run hits the market and these last remnants are likely to fetch an exaggerated market price when they are finally made available.

RG

After spending most of the day at the Mosaiq offices in Montreal today, I can report that there are plans to sell some Lemon Hart 151 in Canada at some point. There are a few issues that have to be addressed, labels, bottles, supply of product etc.

At this point there are no plans to sell any Lemon Hart 80 in the US in the near future. Hopefully that will change in the coming months, but that's the plan at the moment.

At this point I'm waiting on the label approval from the TTB so the last of the Lemon Hart 151 can be imported from Canada. Today the TTB online site is down until Monday. Hopefully the TTB will find time to review the application next week, but there are no guarantees.

RG

On 2011-01-31 12:32, Brandomoai wrote:
It pisses me off that we have all these cases of LH151 sitting in a warehouse in Southern Ontario and no one in Canada can have access to it! I just hope that the new production run will eventually be made available here. If not, it's time for some Black Bloc-style action at Mosaiq's office. Who's with me?

On 2011-01-30 21:56, thePorpoise wrote:

Yes, it's a good score. If you find some, buy it. Sounds like it's going to be a long time before the new run hits the market and these last remnants are likely to fetch an exaggerated market price when they are finally made available.

The reason the Lemon Hart in Ontario isn't available is the label is for the US Market and not the Canadian market. There isn't enough French on the label. Don't expect an exaggerated market price, no one wants to kill this product or alienate the people that know and loved this brand.

RG

Last night at 9:39pm I got an email (automated) from the TTB notifying that the Use Up Permit has been approved for the last 481 cases of Lemon Hart 151 to be imported to the US. It will take a couple of weeks for it to be trucked to New Jersey where it will be distributed around the US. There is still a lot of paperwork to be filed, taxes to be paid and state regulatory stuff to be done, but this is a HUGE step in the right direction. Unfortunately, the TTB website is currently down so I can't print the approved label and send it to distributors yet. Hopefully, the TTB will be more cooperative next week.

Currently, the plan is to ship to New York, California, Colorado, Illinois, Hawaii and Washington DC once this rum has been imported and state registrations are in place.

If you are looking for Lemon Hart 151 in your state, have your best liquor store have their favorite distributor contact Caribbean Spirits Inc.

Thanks for the update. I visited the liquor store I used to buy Lemon Hart 151 from yesterday (the only one I know of in a 30 mile radius) and was less than successful in engaging them in a conversation about contacting their distributor. I'm crossing my fingers that it's an item they'll still order once their distributor gets ahold of it.

kevin

I've heard that the Binny's chain in Chicago should be carrying LH151 by this Summer. They're certainly following the situation, which is good to hear.

RG

The shipment of 481 cases of Lemon Hart 151 were cleared by US Customs and the FDA early this evening near Buffalo, NY. While I can't say this is the last hurdle to get this rum to you, it is by far the highest hurdle in the process. For a list of retailers check the Ministry of Rum detail page for Lemon Hart 151. As distributors and retailers are confirmed, I'll add them to the places to find this rum in the US.

Woo...excellent news. I hope to be toasting it with a 151 Swizzle this weekend.

thanks,

kevin

RG

Hold on to your swizzle for a couple more weeks. The inventory is in NJ and the first shipments will go out from there tomorrow morning. Then expect a week on the road to SF and then a few more days to get to So Cal. I don't even have a bottle for myself at this point. Talk about frustration. And today I sent a $23,000 check to Customs & Border Protection. I hope someone feels safer now.

Yikes, $23,000 and you don't yet have a bottle to show for it yet!

The very least I can do is lift my glass in a 151 Swizzle toast when it gets out to California.

Thank you for your efforts and your updates. :)

kevin

On 2011-02-10 19:00, Rum guy wrote:
After spending most of the day at the Mosaiq offices in Montreal today, I can report that there are plans to sell some Lemon Hart 151 in Canada at some point. There are a few issues that have to be addressed, labels, bottles, supply of product etc.

At this point there are no plans to sell any Lemon Hart 80 in the US in the near future. Hopefully that will change in the coming months, but that's the plan at the moment.

At this point I'm waiting on the label approval from the TTB so the last of the Lemon Hart 151 can be imported from Canada. Today the TTB online site is down until Monday. Hopefully the TTB will find time to review the application next week, but there are no guarantees.

Argh! I have only a little of the Lemon Hart 80 left (I managed to squirrel away a couple of bottles of 151, which I go through more infrequently. I bought a bottle of the El Dorado 5 today, but it lacks the depth of the Lemon Hart. Is the El Dorado 15 better?

I have defaulted to El Dorado 5 year as my "regular" 80-proof demerara but in my opinion you're right...it's not as good as the Lemon Hart 80. I've had both the El Dorado 12 and 15 and I like them both a lot. In fact, I may spend a couple more dollars a bottle and make the 12 year my default 80-proof demerara.

I've got 2 bottles of Lemon Hart 80 left. I wish I didn't have to ration.

kevin

J

I personally prefer the ElDorado 12 to LH80 and makes for the best substitution, the 15 is great, but "too good" to be a straight substitute.

RG

I agree that El Dorado 12 is an upgrade to LH 80 or El Dorado 5, it's a few more dollars but I'm worth it.

In the last week, Lemon Hart 151 Demerara Rum has shipped to IL, CA and CO. Orders are waiting for shipment to DC, LA and HI. NY and Texas are waiting on more paperwork. The job isn't done until all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

Retail stores will be posted on the Lemon Hart page of the Ministry of Rum site as soon as retail orders are confirmed from the distributors.

oh man,
its so close I can almost taste it.

Jeff(btd)

Just picked up my 6 bottles from Beltramos! The bottles weren't even shelved yet. Plus they're $5 cheaper per bottle than K&L Wine Merchants!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-19 14:57 ]

We should have at least one case up here in Sacto by Friday. The place told me thet are charging $38.99/ bottle. How does that compare to what others are paying for the stuff on this recent shipment?

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Mar 20, 2011 3:48 PM

If anyone scores in Palmdale, CA - please let me in on it! I'll do the same if and when. Thanks, G

J

On 2011-03-20 13:32, rugbymatt wrote:
We should have at least one case up here in Sacto by Friday. The place told me thet are charging $38.99/ bottle. How does that compare to what others are paying for the stuff on this recent shipment?

I heard Cask in SF has it for $32.

On 2011-03-20 16:53, JenTiki wrote:

I heard Cask in SF has it for $32.

They do, it's on the internet - limit 1 bottle per customer.

6 bottles at Beltramos (store pickup) = $160 / $26.66 per bottle AFTER tax. I also gave them all the info on who to contact and where to purchase. So not sure if the additional discount I received was because of that.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-21 17:05 ]

Hi Times told me today that their shipment should come in on Wednesday. Rats, I missed it.

I hear it'll be hitting the Chicago-area Binnys tomorrow (Weds)

Accept no substitute!

T

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2011-03-22 23:01 ]

M

Lincoln Fine Wines in Venice just got 2 cases today. $30.99 a bottle. I'd call ahead before making the trek, though. I don't know how many bottles have already been spoken for...

Corti Brothers here in Sacramento got 2 cases in yesterday. @ $32.99 +tax

Has anyone done a side by side tasting with the previous 151 yet?

On 2011-03-27 00:12, tikicoma wrote:

This is still the old stock. It has just been sitting in the bottles lonely. Waiting, just waiting to be loved.

On 2011-03-27 00:12, tikicoma wrote:

Hopefully, RumGuy will give us a side by side when he has the chance I hope. I'll buy a new bottle when it hits. I still have to get through six or so bottles of the old stock my self. :)

T

The Binny's near North and Clyborn in Chicago had about 20 bottles on the shelf on Saturday.

$29.99 is more expensive than it used to be, but if you want it, the stuff is there.

its in at Hi Time!!
in Costa Mesa.

ATP picked up a couple of bottles today at Hi-Time. It's $29.99 a bottle, and it is the old stock with the original Lemon Hart label.

Now go make a Mai Tai!

C

I was able to only pick up one bottle on Sunday from Hi Time. I hope they still have a few bottles left next week after grocery shopping, that is if Mrs Chippy would let me buy some rum instead of those lousy vegetables she is always making me eat.

What do you all think, Brussle Sprouts, Broccoli, Peas, or Lemon Hart?

Sugarcane is technically a grass, maybe you can say it's a fermented vegetable juice?

The Binny's in Elmwood Park IL (North & Harlem) has close to a case on the shelf. The manager there told me they haven't had it since 2000!

They have a few bottles -- 8 when I last went in on Monday -- of LH 151 at Beverage Warehouse in Los Angeles. I still have 2 1/2 bottles of the stuff, so I'm good right now, but definitely worth the trip if you're in LA County. $29.99/bottle.

A

Thanks Rum Guy and others for the posts. Re-supplied our stock a little - more Jet Pilots.

-Randy

My stock has been replenished...thanks to Rum Guy for your efforts to liberate the remaining stock of Lemon Hart 151. I indeed held off on my swizzle until I had secured my bottles (thanks also to Hi Time!), but I finally got it this past Monday.

And this weekend, I can lift the embargo on some of my favorite LH 151 recipes. Hart of Darkness and Jet Pilots and Tiki Puka Puka...oh my!

kevin

just got back from hi-time cellars,
glad we picked up a few bottles of LH 151
even if they were $29.99 each.
they were stocking the last case (12 bottles)
as we left.
We hope to use some of it for our "room crawl"
drink at Tiki Caleinte this May.

Just had some LH 151 in my drink at Bali Hai in San Diego. It's back and so are their drinks.

KD

On 2011-03-31 19:07, heylownine wrote:
My stock has been replenished...thanks to Rum Guy for your efforts to liberate the remaining stock of Lemon Hart 151. I indeed held off on my swizzle until I had secured my bottles (thanks also to Hi Time!), but I finally got it this past Monday.

And this weekend, I can lift the embargo on some of my favorite LH 151 recipes. Hart of Darkness and Jet Pilots and Tiki Puka Puka...oh my!

kevin

OK, where's/what's the Hart of Darkness?

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2011 1:19 PM

I was just at Hi-Time picking up some aged rum they don't carry at my local Beverage Warehouse. I was surprised to see they had LH 151 still on the shelf. I grabbed every bottle left. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it since I'm too lazy to mix. Maybe I can use it to get into the Rumpus Room. :D

KD

On 2011-04-01 13:19, JOHN-O wrote:
I was just at Hi-Time picking up some aged rum they don't carry at my local Beverage Warehouse. I was surprised to see they had LH 151 still on the shelf. I grabbed every bottle left. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it since I'm too lazy to mix. Maybe I can use it to get into the Rumpus Room. :D

Is adding ice and/or water too much work? Depending on what you could stomach, try a Rum Mist (rum on finely crushed ice, like a rum sno-cone)or just pour in some water til your comfortable. I think LH151 is really flavorful and can be drunk straight

G

I was at Beverage Warehouse (Los Angeles) today and they have 7 bottles of LH151 on the self, $29.99 per bottle.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies