Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemon Hart 151

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

On 2011-04-01 09:39, Kill Devil wrote:

OK, where's/what's the Hart of Darkness?

It's a recipe from Beachbum Berry Remixed. It's a personal favorite of mine because the only featured rum is Lemon Hart 151 and it shines in this drink. In fact, I'm enjoying one right now.

0.5 oz fresh lime juice
0.5 oz passion fruit syrup
0.5 oz honey mix
0.75 oz soda water
1.50 oz Lemon Hart 151
0.25 oz fresh lemon juice
8 oz crushed ice
Blend for 5 seconds, pour, drink.

kevin

Just ordered 2 bottles from Binny's today. I can't wait!

Cue the angels singing. :)

I releived Antioch Wine & Liquor in Illinois of their inventory.

G

Any luck in Colorado? My local store said the distributor has it in his book but it wasn't in stock. Anyone know of a wholesaler in CO that is carrying this? I'm going to order it online here shortly, I suppose.

gabbahey

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 1:25 PM

Glad to see people getting their mits on the good stuff.. very jealous over here in the UK!

I'm trying to scheme a way of getting some LH151 delivered to a friend in NYC to hold onto for me... Doesn't look like Binnys deliver, and Hitime do but shipping seems expensive from CA... is there any company offering delivery to NYC that is stocking the LH151???

cheers for any help.

R
Rawim posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 3:06 PM

On 2011-04-06 13:25, harro wrote:
Glad to see people getting their mits on the good stuff.. very jealous over here in the UK!

I'm trying to scheme a way of getting some LH151 delivered to a friend in NYC to hold onto for me... Doesn't look like Binnys deliver, and Hitime do but shipping seems expensive from CA... is there any company offering delivery to NYC that is stocking the LH151???

cheers for any help.

Drinkupny.com will have some and ship next week. And they are in New York.

http://www.drinkupny.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=lemon+hart&Submit.x=6&Submit.y=5

[ Edited by: Rawim 2011-04-06 15:07 ]

On 2011-04-04 11:48, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Just ordered 2 bottles from Binny's today. I can't wait!

Thanks Tom, I called and got a few for the party, they didnt have a limit, so thanks for posting!

Amy

G

My question was answered in the Denver Events thread by Tiki Fink.

On 2011-04-06 18:18, Tiki Fink wrote:
Aloha!

Just a note to let you know that Lemon Hart 151 will be in stock at The Winejester starting
4/08/11. In addition to this we also carry Velvet Falernum and Allspice Dram ( Pimento Liquor )

Oh, we will carry Eldorado Rum as well!

Come on in, it's your one stop alcho-tiki connection.

4340 Tennyson Street
Denver, CO 80212

My order just arrived at my office.... I know my first order of business when I get home tonight. Oh right..and better not forget to pick up mint leaves on the way home.

My new arrivals at home..

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2011-04-11 18:59 ]

i was really lucky,I just found a bottle over here from the netherlands and a bottle LH jamaican 73% both for 22 euros, Bargain!

they still have about a Case on the shelf at Hi Time in Costa Mesa,
there might be more, but I didn't ask.

Jeff(btd)

C

You mean you did not buy them all up?

Hopefully I can get down there and pick another up before they are all gone.

Anyone know where I can get LH 151 in NYC?

Just got an email this week from DrinkUpNY that they have it. Check with them on availability.

I was about to get a full case at Hi Time but setteled for half a case. Thanks BTD for picking it up for me. All together I have 10 bottles or so. I think I'll be fine :)

Ran

MT

Anyone still hunting down Lemon Hart? The 151 is still readily available around here, and I picked up a few bottles of the 151 at one of my favorite friendly neighborhood liquor stores yesterday. Then my Rum Mule brought me some Lemon Hart 80 tonight! Who's thirsty for Shrunken Skulls? :D

I was planning a trip to Hi-Times soon, I will see how much Lemon Hart is left if any?
and report back.

Cheers!

T

I went to Hitimes today and was happy to see they still have the lemon hart 151 in stock. I got two bottles and there were 3 left on the shelf.

I'll do a taste test with it and the old bottles I still have around, to see how it pans out.

[ Edited by: TikiByrne 2011-06-04 18:13 ]

Well I did forget to report back, I can confirm Hi-Times indeed still has Lemonhart 151
in stock and I was told they still have a few boxes left, also this is the old stock (Original)recipe

I have also been told the new Lemonhart 80 (New Recipe) is on its way.

Here is the new LH 151 bottle.

Hi-Times is now out of the "Old stock 151"
The new 151 is due next week & according to the Rum expert at Hi-Times
they will not be stocking the 80 proof, just the new 151 Lemonhart.

A

On 2011-07-07 00:40, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
The new 151 is due next week & according to the Rum expert at Hi-Times
they will not be stocking the 80 proof, just the new 151 Lemonhart.

Did they explain why?

arriano, The same company that imports Lemonhart also handles "El Dorado" rum
and does not want to compete with itself on the 80 proof brands.

This only applies to Hi-Times as was told to me, The Lemonhart 80 will be available in other places
but not sure if will be for sale in Calif.

Anyone else have more info?

Keep in mind, guys, that the new 80-proof will be bottled in Canada and mixed with a very small percentage of Canadian rum (for tax purposes, I think). If anyone still has an old bottle from before all this, I'd be interested to know if they notice a difference.

J

Had a taste last night at the Tonga Hut. It seemed to have a more carmel taste than the old smokey flavor.

Save those surplus OG 151 bottles if you have them, they're like GOLD now !!

We compared the the two 151's in a side by side drink test and the new is certainly different, you only need to smell the rums and you will know what I mean, the new stuff has a dirty Barbados rum smell which when melting with the ice and tasted translates into the caramel-ish flavor. The old 151 is much smoother and if I could find a few more bottles I wouldn't hesitate to buy some, having said that the new version is not bad (for the drinks) it's just not the same.

Bosko

Damn,
I was afraid this was gonna happen.
Nothing good ever stays the same.
:(

Jeff(btd)

A

Sigh. Why was this so difficult to get right?

So it's not the same, But is it any good at all?
I guess I will have to pick a bottle and do some taste testing also.

J

I have 3 bottles of the the OG stuff left !!...

I'm saving 1 for the great Atomic Tiki Party of Summer 2011.

Another I'm just going to pour out on the ground for the Tiki homies who aren't with us any more.

The 3rd I'm going to sell on eBay for big bucks. BTW, what's the shelf life on rum ???

rum will last in perfect condition up until this world ends on December 21, 2012.

after that, it gets reincarnated in a different chilicosm as either fine single malt scotch or as Olde English malt liquor, depending on its karma. you can decide for yourself what kind of karma leads to what kind of reincarnation...

On 2011-07-19 13:22, arriano wrote:
Sigh. Why was this so difficult to get right?

boy you just ain't whistling Dixie there.

I was afraid of this. Just don't blame Canada!

If anyone in the Boston area is still looking for a source for the new stuff, I just got a bottle from Select Liquors in Allston. They don't carry it as part of their regular stock, but you can order through their website and pick it up at the store.

R

On 2011-07-21 20:39, I. M. Transpose wrote:
If anyone in the Boston area is still looking for a source for the new stuff, I just got a bottle from Select Liquors in Allston. They don't carry it as part of their regular stock, but you can order through their website and pick it up at the store.

Good to know thanks. I'll have to pick up a bottle to compare to my stash of the old.

On 2011-07-21 21:54, rangda wrote:

On 2011-07-21 20:39, I. M. Transpose wrote:

Good to know thanks. I'll have to pick up a bottle to compare to my stash of the old.

If you figure out a way to tweak the new LH151 to get closer to the flavor of the original, I'd be very interested to know how it's done - the new stuff makes a fine drink, but I'd love to know how these drinks tasted originally.

I haven't tasted the new stuff myself yet. I was really hoping it would just be a label change. I guess I'll use the 3 1/2 bottles of the original for myself or only those who will actually appreciate it. I had a group over recently and I barely prevented someone from mixing some with Coke! All bottles are now hidden at a non-disclosed location.

Bringing the subject up again. It appears to unanimous that the new label does not have the same taste as the original. In an email from the Bum yesterday, he said it was sweeter, with less smoke and char. But, he did say it is still the best choice to make Donn's drinks. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, but I hope to soon. Anyway, I wonder if adding a little Lemon Hart 80 proof or another Demerara rum might bring some of the flavor back. Has anyone tried it? I know it will lower the alcohol punch a little, but maybe bring back some of the flavor.

how many prominent drinks actually call for LH 151 anyhow?

I've got the Zombie, the 151 swizzle, the Jet Pilot, the Cobra's Fang, and the Puka Punch.

that's five.

are there more?

R

It appears to unanimous that the new label does not have the same taste as the original.

Based on comparing a new bottle to my ~2 year old NOS it's a little bit different but not much. The "not quite as smoky" is the biggest difference in flavor. I doubt you'll be able to tell them apart in a tiki drink where you're adding 6-8 other ingredients to the glass.

And since you cannot get the old stuff it's somewhat moot anyway. IMO you're much better off with the new LH151 than you would be cutting it with an 80 proof rum, it will lose the burn then.

I

Maybe they'll get it right before I run out of my secret stash of 7 bottles of the original.

L.

I'd like to know how the flavor profile of original LH 80° compares to original LH 151°, and to the new 151°. Not talking about "the burn" of the alcohol, but the flavor notes. The LH80 does taste smokey, to me.
I've only been able to get 80°, here. When a drink includes, say, 1 oz. LH151 and 1 oz. gold Puerto Rican or Cruzan, I use LH80 and Cruzan 151°. My theory is that this will be closest to the proper flavor, while preserving total alcohol content (if that's even important).
I still have a case of the original 80, and would like to 'nurse it along', if it actually tastes closer to the original 151°, than the new label stuff does.
Anyone know?

D

Please forgive if this is a dumb question...

I bought a bottle of LH 151 recently, with the old label. Does that mean it's the old stuff? Does all the new formula have the new label?

Thanks.

I believe it is..where did you buy it?

Ed Hamilton and Martin "Martiki" Cate do a side-by-side taste test of the new and old bottle Lemon Hart 151.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-08-30 15:02 ]

I feel better about the change since seeing the video. I also spoke with a long time employee at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Cost Mesa today. He stated that the recipe and source is the same, but some of the differences could have occured over a period of time. He made the comment that much of the LH151 original has been sitting around for quite awhile. Its only been recently with the possibility of it going away that the product really moved. Anyway his thought was that time in the bottle certainly could have added to the difference between the new and old label. I am certainly not an expert with how rum flavor changes in the bottle, but it seemed to make some sense. Regardless, I put my order in today for 3 bottles from Binnys in Chicago.

W

I do believe I heard the word "indistinquishable".

So if these two rum gurus think the new product works, that's good enough for me.

I have seven bottles of old stock. I'll push them way to the back and get the new stuff for my Zombies.

Cheers!

Chris
WestADad

I'm happy to Hear that they are almost the same.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies