Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does boiling ruin simple syrup

Pages: 1 31 replies

D

I have seen do not boil the simple syrup when making it at home...left it on the stove and what do you know it boiled...just wondering if it is usable or not

P

In my opinion boiling ruins it. It burns the sugar. If it turns a dar color, then you have burned the sugar.

D

i put one cup of sugar and one cup of water and i have more than one cup of liquid...is that right?

2nd batch is pretty clear throughout and doesnt have much for particles...only when it was hot and on the stove and i stirred it could i see invididual particles

does that sound about right?

Whether or not it's boiling is relative to your elevation.
Use a candy thermometer.
I will typically take a syrup up to boiling (just barely, and I'm pretty close to sea level) and then lower the heat and let it simmer right at temperature (just around 215°F until I get the consistency that I like.
If you get it above 235°F the sugar will begin to caramelize, this is good for candy, bad for syrup.

If it just boiled a moment or two, taste it. If it just tastes like simple syrup, you're fine. Otherwise, if it tastes kinda burned, um. Throw in some butterscotch candies and melt them, and use it for waffle syrup. Next batch -- don't boil.

I measure the water first, bring it to a simmer, and then dump it over the sugar in a thermal safe vessel. I also have a water dispenser that makes hot water for instant coffee, and if I'm particularly lazy and making a smallish batch of syrup for just a couple drinks, I'll use it instead. The sugar just needs to dissolve, not cook.

Although if you are making something particularly sweet a slightly caramelized sugar syrup might lend an interesting bitterness. But it wouldn't be kulturny -- so don't try to sneak it into a tiki fan's Mai Tai. We'll notice. Hm... maybe an Old Fashioned, a Whiskey Sour, or a bastard Hot Toddy... might go with the flavor of rye whiskey in particular, not the sweet blended canadian or --

sorry... this forum is for tiki drinks...

If your making bar (simple) syrup you don't even need the stove.

1 part water, 1 part sugar, shake vigorously until the sugar is dissolved. Done.

If your making Rock Candy syrup (2:1 or 3:1) then you need the heat to basically 'force' the sugar into the water. And it takes more heat to get there.

Boiling is not a bad thing and not something that should be feared. What you dont want to do is let it boil for very long**. Put the heat to it, bring it to a boil, turn the heat down and do the simmer thing until you get to where your going. The few minutes past your mark are not going to ruin your batch unless it is a very small batch.

** Unless your aiming for that caramel note in your syrup. Then you need to be a full boil for five to fifteen minutes and I highly suggest you use a thermometer to not go all the way to the candy stage.

On 2010-05-07 22:03, Dapuma1 wrote:
i put one cup of sugar and one cup of water and i have more than one cup of liquid...is that right?

2nd batch is pretty clear throughout and doesnt have much for particles...only when it was hot and on the stove and i stirred it could i see invididual particles

does that sound about right?

One cup of sugar plus one cup of water equals approx. one and one half cups of Simple Syrup.

Sounds right. FYI, stirring helps speed up the breakdown of the sugar crystals into smaller particles by adding more friction (heat) to the process.

:wink:

D

i thought stirring helped disappate the heat due to it being released from the mixture (at least in reducing for cooking/baking that is how it works) so that is good to know

i kept stirring it hoping not to see any particles, however i could even after about 30-40 min of low constant heat so i let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight and it is a cohesive syrup now, cant see any particles which is good

it tastes like sugar water and when sloshed around the measuring cup it will coat the sides but move pretty freely at room tempurature (i left a little in the measuring cup overnight to see the consistancy at room temp)

does that sound about right for simple syrup?

Does the heating process work better than the cold process?

For rock syrup is 2-1 or 3-1 the right measure for the beachbum's books?

Thanks for the help everyone...first time making syrup :)

S

Shaking water and sugar will not make simple syrup. It will simply make sugar water and the sugar will turn back into sugar in the jar pretty soon.

You will need to get the water to boiling to break the sugar into its components and make a solution that is more sweet than actual sugar, and that will keep the sugar in suspension rather than precipitating out and forming that sugar crud in your jar.

The ideal way to do this and have it keep without precipiatating is to first, boil the water, add a drop or two of some acid, like lemon or lime juice, and add an equal amount of sugar in until the sugar is gone and reduce heat. Let this simmer at a low roil for 10-15 minutes. Then cool and bottle.

That little but of acid helps to keep the 2 components of sugar separated AND to keep them joined with the water so they do not precipitate out. You'll never taste the acid. That is inverted sugar, which is the same as simple syrup in taste and use, but far better in terms of shelf life.

The Bum uses the terms simple syrup, sugar syrup and rock candy syrup interchangably in his books.

Pouring the cold sugar in the boiling water will stop the boil (probably) and the heat will rise as you stir the sugar away. Once it is desolved, the chemical change is done as far as that high heat. You should not burn it unless you are boiling it a long time or making a large batch.

On 2010-05-10 09:36, Swanky wrote:
The Bum uses the terms simple syrup, sugar syrup and rock candy syrup interchangably in his books.

Bar Syrup and Simple Syrup are basically the same and are typically 1:1 sugar and water (you can't get simpler than one to one!). Invert Sugar Syrup is more stable and will keep longer, and there are all kinds of ways to get there including a bit of lemon, lime, Karo, or salt.

Rock Candy syrup is different and should generally not be used unless called out in the recipe. Rock Candy Syrup is considerably sweeter and if your using it in place of Simple Syrup you'll need to adjust your recipe accordingly.

Check this:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25657&forum=10

For an excellent how-to and explanation of Simple Syrup and Rock Candy Syrup.

On 2010-05-07 20:52, Dapuma1 wrote:
I have seen do not boil the simple syrup when making it at home...left it on the stove and what do you know it boiled...just wondering if it is usable or not

This thread on making rock candy syrup might give you some ideas.

You can boil the sugar, but you don't want to burn it, which requires lots of stirring. The more sugar you force into the solution, the higher its boiling point. RCS is not sweeter than simple syrup, but there is a ton more sugar in it. If you force enough sugar into the RCS, after it has cooled, rock candy crystals will begin to precipitate gradually on their own, or faster if you give them some help.

On 2010-05-10 12:55, The Gnomon wrote:
RCS is not sweeter than simple syrup, but there is a ton more sugar in it.

It is sweeter. Not the taste because more sugar still tastes like sugar. RCS is sweeter by its total volume of sugar in the same measure.

It is the same concept as Rum vs Overproof Rum. Lemon Hart 151 is still rum, but it has 75 percent alcohol so it is 'stronger.'

RCS is still just a sugar solution, but it has more sugar in the same volume. A 1:1 syrup would give you 50% sugar, a 4:1 RCS would give you 75% sugar in the same volume. If you were to use the same measure of RCS in your drink you would be getting more sweet in the finished drink.

C

I just made ginger syrup yesterday, and per the Bum's directions he instructs putting the 1:1 sugar:water and the sliced ginger all in a pan and then bringing it all to a boil, at which you reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. So it would seem that the boiling is okay--just not for a length of time.

Personally, after making regular simple syrup a number of times, which--no matter how much care I take--results in a messy, sugary stove and countertop, then a syrup in the fridge I end up having to throw away in a few weeks after only using part of it (wasting a good part of a cup of sugar) I have found it much easier just to buy a bottle of Stirrings sugar syrup for $4.99 which keeps in the fridge (with preservatives) as long as I need it. I'm only making my own specialized syrups, i.e. cinnamon, ginger, etc.

By the way, I have heard of people adding a little rum/vodka/etc to syrup to make it preserve longer. However, how much alcohol can you add to, say, 2 cups of simple syrup before it stops becoming a syrup and instead becomes a failed liqueur?

Brent

On 2010-05-10 14:22, congawa wrote:
By the way, I have heard of people adding a little rum/vodka/etc to syrup to make it preserve longer. However, how much alcohol can you add to, say, 2 cups of simple syrup before it stops becoming a syrup and instead becomes a failed liqueur?

Brent

I have to give you a vague kind of answer and it involves some math....

To get your syrups up to a shelf-stable proof you have to add enough alcohol to get to at least 10% ABV, or 20 proof. Your best target is 15%ABV and with most home-brew you can get up to three months on the bar or up to nine months in the fridge. Every home-brew is different, some ingredients are just not compatible with storage while others will last longer than you.

For your two cups of syrup you should add 3 3/4 ounces of vodka. Make it easy and add 4 ounces and you should be OK.

And shelf stabilizing Sugar Syrup will NOT keep it from crystalizing. It will only keep it from growing. Well, it will slow down anything that may grow in there. Following Swanky's recipe for making Invert Sugar will last longest without crystalizing, every other method it is just a matter of time before your sugar syrup becomes sugar crystals again.

Adding a tiny bit of info to Chip's post:

The only way to keep high-volume sugar solutions (like RCS) from crystallizing is to add an emulsifier to the solution. The most common additive is "gum arabic". Gum Arabic is used "Gomme Syrup" (the only ingredients are sugar, water and gum arabic), which is once again available to purchase at some specialty stores. Gum arabic is a completely natural product: it is the hardened sap (like maple syrup) from the Acacia tree.

If you are thinking about making gomme syrup, it's kind of a pain. the general recipe is one part gum arabic powder dissolved in one part boiled water which you add to a solution of four parts sugar dissolved in 2 parts water. Boil the mixture at a low roll for about 2 minutes. There are recipes on the web, and you will find that many of the sugar proportions change based on personal preference. Me, I'm too lazy to make it...and just use simple syrup.

Cheers!
Gina

BOHO

Stirrings does make a good simple syrup. Never tried making my own, but now I might.

T

I think all this fussing over simple syrup and variations is very worthwhile. I just got a bottle of Scrappy's Gomme syrup to play with and so far have made some really smooth Martinez's and daiquiris with it. I was disappointed to read Martiki-Bird's reluctance above to make gomme syrup. It's too expensive to buy for every day consumption. :wink:

Anyway, I've gotten stuck so many times traveling or running out at home, that I've gotten pretty used to just shaking it. Just shake equal parts water and white sugar in a bottle and voila! Simple syrup that works just fine - and refrigerated, lasts for weeks. Although, I use it up pretty fast.

Along the same lines, shaking equal parts Pom pomegranate juice and white sugar makes a better grenadine than I've ever been able to buy.

-Jack

Shaking water and sugar will not make simple syrup. It will simply make sugar water and the sugar will turn back into sugar in the jar pretty soon.

You will need to get the water to boiling to break the sugar into its components and make a solution that is more sweet than actual sugar, and that will keep the sugar in suspension rather than precipitating out and forming that sugar crud in your jar.

The ideal way to do this and have it keep without precipiatating is to first, boil the water, add a drop or two of some acid, like lemon or lime juice, and add an equal amount of sugar in until the sugar is gone and reduce heat. Let this simmer at a low roil for 10-15 minutes. Then cool and bottle.

That little but of acid helps to keep the 2 components of sugar separated AND to keep them joined with the water so they do not precipitate out. You'll never taste the acid. That is inverted sugar, which is the same as simple syrup in taste and use, but far better in terms of shelf life.

Pouring the cold sugar in the boiling water will stop the boil (probably) and the heat will rise as you stir the sugar away. Once it is desolved, the chemical change is done as far as that high heat. You should not burn it unless you are boiling it a long time or making a large batch.

Swanky -

This is what I was taught and it always holds true to form. I am a big fan of mojitos (okay, not a Polynesian delicacy, but a good and simple drink recipe all the same) and am making simple syrup for my mojitos, pear mojitos, cucumber mojitos and such. I find by following this process, you can create a solution that is very malleable. That is, if you are having a party, you can make ample amounts and freeze the solution and it will not turn grainy.

I let my water boil, drop a few drops of fresh lime into the water -- let this boil in for just a moment, then slowly add the sugar into the mix. I keep a consistent stir to keep the sugar off the bottom of the pot, too. When you want to reactivate the frozen simple sugar, just place the glad bag into a pot of warm water and you are ready for your next batch ofr award winning concoctions. Just one thing, I better get an invite to the next cocktail party!

Shaken and stirred -

Vince Martini

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-10-19 13:26 ]

T

On 2010-05-11 07:16, Chip and Andy wrote:

Take a nice chunk of lemon peel and give it a twist into that mix. It is the oil from the skin you want, not the juice. It will really make your grenadine sparkle on the tongue.

Thanks for the tip! I will give that a try.

-Jack

T

On 2010-05-11 07:06, Vince Martini wrote:

Old wive's tale?

Shaking water and sugar (1:1) without heat is a standard way to make bar simple syrup. The sugar does not turn back into sugar in the jar pretty soon, as you say. I've had a batch last for weeks without a problem.

You should try this. You will like it. : )

I have no problem with your wanting to cook it. There are some possible health benefits to doing so, but I don't want people reading this thread to think that the only way to make simple syrup is to cook it, especially if they are having trouble in doing so.

-Jack

On 2010-05-11 07:16, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-05-11 06:52, tabuzak wrote:
Along the same lines, shaking equal parts Pom pomegranate juice and white sugar makes a better grenadine than I've ever been able to buy.

-Jack

Take a nice chunk of lemon peel and give it a twist into that mix. It is the oil from the skin you want, not the juice. It will really make your grenadine sparkle on the tongue.

Yummy! I know what we'll be doing next time we need grenadine. :)

On 2010-05-11 09:30, tabuzak wrote:

Old wive's tale?

Shaking water and sugar (1:1) without heat is a standard way to make bar simple syrup. The sugar does not turn back into sugar in the jar pretty soon, as you say. I've had a batch last for weeks without a problem.

I have no problem with your wanting to cook it. There are some possible health benefits to doing so, but I don't want people reading this thread to think that the only way to make simple syrup is to cook it, especially if they are having trouble in doing so.

-Jack

Adding some related info to Jack's post:

Shaking a sugar/water solution vigorously provides enough just enough heat (through friction) to break down the sugar crystals into microscopic particles. This solution will keep (in the fridge) for months without separating. I personally have cold shaken both 1:1 (simple) and 2:1 (rich simple)...you get a nice workout with the rich syrup, but it can be done.

Inverting the sugar with heat (boiling the water to dissolve) will create a less stable solution: the sugar crystals will want to adhere to each other instead of the water molecules, and will separate and form "rock candy" crystals much sooner than the cold shaken solution. However, it will generally stay stable enough to make cocktails for a month or so.

Other thought that might be of use:
Sugar is a preservative which on is a naturally hostile environment to bacteria, but the moisture in simple syrup creates a friendly environment for mold. Adding alcohol will help with that.

Heating water is not a bad idea because heat will destroy most undesirable thingies in the water. :)

Here's an alternative to boiling sugar and water without risk of over-cooking:
Boil water in a tea kettle; place your measured sugar in a heat-proof bowl; measure the boiled water into a pyrex measuring cup, add to sugar and stir until dissolved.

Cheers,
Gina

S

On 2010-05-11 09:30, tabuzak wrote:

On 2010-05-11 07:06, Vince Martini wrote:

Old wive's tale?

-Jack

Actually, they are not the same. Sugar and water mixed cold is sugar water and has a sweetness index equal to sugar.

Simple syrup, made by heating sugar and brealing it into glucose and fructose, and water is sweeter than sugar because fructose is sweeter than sugar.

Commercial versions use cream of atrtar instead of juice juice for the citric acid.

A good article on inverted sugar.

T

[Actually, they are not the same. Sugar and water mixed cold is sugar water and has a sweetness index equal to sugar.

Sugar and water shaken cold (or cooked and stirred) (1:1) is called "simple syrup" by mixologists. That's where I am coming from. Who calls it "sugar water?" And what's the difference?

I read your linked article and did not see any connection to this discussion.

What am I missing?

-Jack

On 2010-05-11 09:54, Swanky wrote:
Actually, they are not the same. Sugar and water mixed cold is sugar water and has a sweetness index equal to sugar.

Simple syrup, made by heating sugar and brealing it into glucose and fructose, and water is sweeter than sugar because fructose is sweeter than sugar.

The two solutions described here are basically one and the same, just achieved by different methods. Both examples are a syrup solution created by hydrolysis (decomposition of sucrose into fructose and dextrose by water.) Heat is present in both examples: stirring or shaking hard produces heat, as does applying heat via the stove.

For all intents and purposes, they are both 'simple syrup'.

Invert syrup is made using the same hydrolysis process, with the addition of an acid to speed up the breakdown process. The resulting syrup has less water, and may be perceived as tasting sweeter.

To invert sugar, the sugar/water solution is boiled for 20 minutes with the chosen acid (citric, cream of tarter or lemon juice.)

On 2010-05-11 09:54, Swanky wrote:
Commercial versions use cream of atrtar instead of juice juice for the citric acid.

Just for the record, the purpose of the addition of cream of tarter, citric acid or even lemon juice is only to speed up hydrolysis: they do not act as a preservative.

Homemade invert syrup is more shelf-stable than cold-shaken or quick-heated simple syrup because it has less water content, but that is not a guarantee of absolute lack of bacteria or fungi (after months of sitting on a bar shelf.) Refrigerate to have a safe (and happy) happy hour.

Cheers!
Gina

S

Go Gina! Bust some science on us!

I am really enjoying this thread. I bring my 1:1 simple syrup to a boil, let it boil for one minute, lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer it for ten minutes, put it in a sterile bottle and refrigerate it. This stays stable for me for about two months.

I do this with demerara sugar syrup as well because I don't like the taste of cold process.

Chris

On 2010-05-12 11:31, WestADad wrote:
...I don't like the taste of cold process.

Did anyone mention that you should use 'good' water for any and all of these kinds of project?

In the case of simple syrup you only have two ingredients so any impurity in one of them will show through at the end. And if you are doing any kind of reduction to get where your going with a home-brew project, the reduction removes water but leaves everything else including any impurities in your ingredients.

I have found that two trips through a Brita filter (or whatever brand your using that is similar) can make a huge difference in the end.

Good point about the water, I use filtered.

Chris

Some more opinions on the subject of ratios and boiling....

http://www.barmixmaster.com/2005/04/simple-syrup.html

"...Combine 1 part water and 1 part sugar in a saucepan. Heat and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil for two minutes."

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/SimpleSyrup.htm

"..A ratio of 1 part water to 1 part sugar...bring cold water and sugar to a boil... approximately 3 minutes"

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/bevbar/bar-syrup.html

"...1 cup water, 2 cups granulated sugar, Boil sugar and water for 5 minutes, until sugar is dissolved"

http://cocktails.about.com/od/mixology/r/simple_syrup.htm

"...2 parts sugar, 1 part water, ...Do not allow the syrup to boil for too long or the syrup will be too thick"

And the proper scientific method is to use equal parts by weight. A cup of water is 230 g so you should do about a 1 1/4 cups of sugar unless you happen to have a scale handy.

So back to the original question, do not fear the boil.

Here's a link to a previous discussion on this topic. Most especially, note the "hit-and-run" post by '57 Chevy', on page 2 (and my following post). Since that time, I have made my bar syrup with a 2:1 sugar to water ratio, and used a good pinch of citric acid crystals to catalyze the conversion of the sucrose into fructose and dextrose. I bring it to the edge of boiling, then lightly simmer about 15-20 minutes (I add a little extra water, to compensate for the boil-off). I put it in a sterilized bottle, but I don't refrigerate it. It doesn't crystallize out, and it doesn't spoil, even after many months, and many openings, at room temp.

Pages: 1 31 replies