Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace

Pages: 1 2 3 4 184 replies

On 2011-05-27 14:47, mahalomo wrote:
It's like getting buzzed in the Enchanted Tiki Room, which I've always wanted to do.

Best description about the place so far! I wish I thought of that :) It was great to meet you guys. My apologies I didn't use your critique, but, I'm sure you understand why. Looking forward to go "adventuring" with you guys again. Cheers!

On 2011-05-27 09:24, TikiGeeki wrote:
So I reached out to my "people" and got word that the drink menu was developed by "Stuart McGuire, Manager of Beverage & Concept Development for Disney Parks & Resorts." Not to be a cocktail snob, though I definitely am, but that's pretty darn impressive that a big corporate honcho for all the parks was the one crafting the menu.

Chris and I actually meet Stuart McGuire, at The Cast Member Preview Party. He told us that he did a lot of research to create the drink menu.

Awesome, thanks for the photo! I was wondering where my painting ended up! Can't wait to see the place in person!

The Art Director for Trader Sam's told me (I think) that they were using the Beach Bum Berry's Grog Log to base their drinks on... I could be wrong though, I'm sure we'll eventually find out.

Live like a Beachcomber! http://www.TikiTony.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/tikitony

[ Edited by: tikitony 2011-05-27 22:22 ]

The drinks were good. Way good.

Rhonda's a great 'tender. She said she also works at Don The Beachcomber's. Whatta life.

Here's the volcano that erupts when someone orders the Krakatoa Punch.

This guy kept looking down at us. I was waiting for a song but they're pretty quiet.

On 2011-05-27 22:15, tikitony wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the photo! I was wondering where my painting ended up! Can't wait to see the place in person!

Tony,

You can thank Pineappleman11 for the photo, I linked to it on his photo blog.

Bear

I am happy I got to see this place before I leave for my next job in Europe next week.

I must say they really perpetuated the spirit of Disney in the best way. Yes, it might be a little too much hoopla from the cast bartenders for some of us, but Disneyland is for the kid in the man (and woman), not for the cocktail bar afficionado.

The cocktail names are really clever conceptually, and there's something for everybody to like on the menu. The seating policy is a little weird, it sometimes seemed empty because there were no people standing like in any other bar. I think they should allow a certain number of customers to stand by the bar. Right now, don't come with a group larger than 2, 3 or 4, or you will stay in line too long. I spent most of the time with my group on the porch, touring the bar occasionally with Kevin Kidney.

Kevin and Jody built my favorite attraction in the bar, the bottle ship:

You gotta see it to believe it! :) I am looking forward to when they will get to design the mugs and drink ware for Sam's, eventually.

(Thanks to Jeniffer Stockert for the photo)

I agree with Sven,

It was most definitely just a cool experience to have at the park. Most of time I leave and want to linger around and have something interesting to do. I don't like any of the restaurants in downtown disney, and this place was a godsend! Also agreeing with other TC'ers that the Tongaroa Terrace is kinda disappointing but at least the food was good and is available in Sam's. I did enjoy that Kalua Pork flatbread pizza thing, and the fried long beans.

I can't wait to see what the new merch is gonna look like for the bar, and probably going to lean towards the Jungle Cruise vibe?

I was there on opening day; sat next to a very attractive woman at the bar who turned out to be the interior designer. It was a nice chat. I was too stupid to get her to sign a menu of something .

This was in one of the photos but the link below may be easier to read...

Mouseplanet: Trader Sams menu

[ Edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2011-05-31 14:23 ]

Thanks to all who posted the great photos!! I can't wait to see it in person in a couple weeks! It looks amazing! I've been busy, otherwise I would've made it down sooner! Thank god I live close to DLR!

E

My family and I just came back from Disneyland yesterday. We went to Tangaroa Terrace for breakfast on our first day. It was amazing; the staff practically fell all over themselves waiting on us. It was warm enough to sit outside at one of the bench seat tables and listen to music while dining. Some of the music they played I recognized as coming from the old Tahitian Terrace loop.

Next time my wife and I go without kids, we're going to check out Trader Sam's.

T

Went to Trader Sams/ Tangaroan Terrace last night for the official Grand Opening Party,which was for press and Disney employees.

I spoke with the main imagineer who conceptualized the entire Trader Sams bar. He was really nice and told me that they were very concerned of what the Tiki Central crowd thought of the whole thing. So far everyone I know who has been there has had nothing but great reviews, and I have to concur, the place is amazing. The Drinks I had (Krakatoa Punch and Shrunken Zombie Head) were both great.... The Shrunken Zombie Head was really strong.

They definitely didn't mess around with the cocktails.As far as the decor goes....great again. Very much like a Disney attraction, with lots of bells and whistles (literally...order a Shipwreck on the Rocks and see what happens) , but a great tiki bar at the same time.

Since most of the Tiki nerds I know are Disney Nerds too, I'd say this is a home run. The food was great as well, tho, the restaurant wasn't open, this was an all catered affair. What I had was samplings from the Restaurant....all great.

Add to that Tikiyaki Orchestra and Martin Denny playing in the bar and restaurant.....perfect !

The fact that they actually cared about what this community thinks is pretty cool,being how we can be real nudnicks about authenticity and "getting it right" , I have to give them big Kudos for caring that much.

The only bad part of the evening was me trying to get from Redondo Beach to Anaheim during Rush hour. BAD IDEA !

So, when is TC Night at Trader Sams ?

It looks like this place is not some poseur wannabee but deserving of someone making an entry for it under Locating Tiki here on Tiki Central. I do no feel worthy of the task because I do not know the subtleties and idiosyncrasies of such a chore.

TM

Met up with Jim, Poly, Tiki Ray and a bunch of other cool folk last night...many cocktails were consumed...I have to echo Jim's comments: This is not just a touristy version of a tiki bar...it's a real tiki bar, and finally we have one in my neck of the woods! I intend to make this place a regular stop!

This cocktail was delicious! (and I am not a fan of fruity drinks...)

After, we walked all around and goofed off:

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2011 8:13 PM

Trader Sams rocks! I was so super stoked to find out they have one of my masks hangin on the walls.. what an honor!! Long live Trader Sams!!

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook

[ Edited by: kirby 2011-06-05 20:13 ]

TM

That's so rad, Kirby! 40 years from now some future tiki urban archeologist is going to be wondering where that came from, the same way we do now with artifacts from the original disney "tiki/jungle" attractions! What a dream to be associated with Disney!

Congratulations Kirby that's awesome, wow! you earned a spot in history :)

Way to go Kirby!

Going to check it out tomorrow. Any info on parking?

DC

TS

Park in the Downtown Disney lot for 3 hours free. Its a short walking distance from ESPNzone DTD parking lot.

On 2011-06-17 19:13, Tom Slick wrote:
Park in the Downtown Disney lot for 3 hours free. Its a short walking distance from ESPNzone DTD parking lot.

Tom Slick

Thanks for the info.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2011-06-17 23:17 ]

Great to read the updates...it all sounds like a dream come true!!!

Going tomorrow night and looking forward to it .

We went to Trader Sam's three times during our travels in SoCal last week.

Atmosphere - absolutely incredible. Dark moody lighting - check. Clutter from floor to ceiling - check. Exotica and surf music on rotation - double check! Cool, interactive tiki elements that come alive when you order different drinks - awesome!

Drink-wise, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say hit or miss. We had a total of eight drinks during our different visits - Shipwreck, Shrunken Zombie Head, Uh-Oa, Krakatoa Punch and the Rosita's Margarita for good measure. The kids (yes kids are allowed, until 8pm when they get booted out) sampled all three non-alcoholic drinks (Schweitzer Falls, Skipper Sipper, Jungle River Sunset).

Out of the bunch, the Shipwreck and the Uh-Oa were the best. The Shipwreck tasted almost exactly like the Eastern Sour I make at home. The Uh-Oa was also very good, served in a Squid "Fourtune Fire" bowl, with nutmeg in the tiki resevoirs to sprinkle on the flame "To appease the gods". It's funny, they sink the flame for you to make sure you don't set yourself on fire.

The other drinks - too damn sweet! They didn't seem shook well, either. I got the distinct impression that consistency is not yet their thing and that your drinking experience is going to vary a lot based on which bartender is working.

That being said, overall I love it. Yeah, the interactive stuff seems a little forced, but I think that it will get better as staff integrates naturally with it. Hopefully drink consistency gets better. I think they're still trying to iron out the kinks (as any new place has to...) but the ingredients are all there.

Stopped in on Fathers Day Sunday. Very enjoyable experience, nice and cluttered and cozy. Great to see all of the local art on the walls. Tried the Mai Tai, Zombie and Krakatoa, all very good mixes. Ran into Joe Banks who was with his dad and he indicated that there was a Tiki Magazine photo shoot earlier that day. There were several dad's who came in with the families and had a blast at the Tiki bar. Maybe a new tradition - Tiki Bar with the kids!

(Now that's a "Mug Shot")

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2011-06-21 21:36 ]

One more thing...

This mug was posted by ZincTiki earlier in this thread.

And this is the souvenir mug that my wife bought with the Krakatoa.

Looks like some old Tiki Farm dead stock by Crazy Al. I wonder if they are selling different versions of the souvenir until they get their own design? Anybody seen any others ones?

DC

I wonder if they are selling different versions of the souvenir until they get their own design? Anybody seen any others ones?

That's the mug I got. Our server told us it's the only one they're selling.

We were there on father's day too! My family was kind enough to treat me to a one-two punch of brunch at Don the Beachcombers and then dinner at Tangaroa Terrace/Trader Sam's. Ahhh... bliss.

Just went to trader Sams.... its awsome

[ Edited by: Pele Paul 2011-06-21 22:10 ]

Went to Trader Sam's last night with BigToe and Doug DoRr...
Great vibe,a lotta fun,and STRONG yummy drinks!
two thumbs UP!
:)

C

Man, this is amazing! More ammo to persuade husband we need to detour to Disneyland on our brief LA trip later this year!

TM

On 2011-08-07 05:35, cathuna wrote:
Man, this is amazing! More ammo to persuade husband we need to detour to Disneyland on our brief LA trip later this year!

Have you ever been to disneyland? If not, I can give you some tips on how best to survive there and have a good time!

yeah,
go on a cold overcast Wednesday in November.
:wink:

but seriously,
I try to avoid that place like the plague on weekends,
and nice weather times of year.
Which in So.Cal. is 9 out of 12 months.

Jeff(btd)

S
SeanH posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:11 PM

On 2011-08-07 22:36, bigtikidude wrote:
I try to avoid that place like the plague on weekends,
and nice weather times of year.
Which in So.Cal. is 9 out of 12 months.

Aw, it's not that bad. I've been to Tiki Sam's 3 times since it opened, all on weekends, including yesterday. I've never had a problem getting a table or anything. The parks are pretty busy, but if you're just going for tiki I don't think it is a big deal.

M

For you history buffs, I have a mug for sale from a previous restaurant in the Tangaroa Terrace building- The Shipyard Inn
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270795754677&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Actually, Disneyland's crowds haven't been what they usually are this summer I'm sure due to the economy. The lines have been fairly short (except for of course Star Tours). And going over to Trader Sam's is no prob at all! I've been going to DLR almost once a week and I've never seen the crowds so low for summer.

M

Any word on when they will have their own tiki mug?

S

They are carrying 3 mugs now...2 by Tiki Farm one is by Squid and one is by Crazy Al and the third is the two faced glass goblet. None of them have Trader Sams on them--those are supposed to be coming in May (according to the bartenders on this past Friday night)

M

Thanks Sandra!! May seems awful far away.

PP

heres a few more...........
I try taking photos each time, and every time I see something new and interesting, as well as some stuff that I have as well, like a Skipper popcorn box, bought it many years ago cuz it was nautical, then the other day, saw they had one on a shelf behind the bar!! too cool!! really a fun fun place, especially the bar stools that go up and down, the ship in the bottle and being sprayed by hot molten lave (water)when some orders a certain drink!! fun place to go for an hour!!!
Im lucky the GF is as big a "tikifile" as me !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 184 replies