Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Memorial Day

Pages: 1 33 replies

I'd like to stray from Tiki for just a moment to offer my sincere Thanks to all of those who served our country, past & present, living & dead & especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can live in this great country. To my parents generation, raised in the depression & who came of age during WWII, I offer a special Thank You. You faced obstacles we will never know & with your courage, hard-work & indomitable spirit, you triumphed over tyranny & gave us the ability to live the lives we lead & be who we need to be.
Thank You & God Bless

Amen!

Very well said my friend and thank you to all the folks who have served our country so long and so well.

Well said Big K.
Wonderful Post.
And for their sake and ours, let's be sure we don't let the greatness of this country slip away.

Wonderful tribute BK...today we honor those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom...bless them all.

Very well said!

It is on Memorial Day that I miss my father the most. I was always super proud of my dad. He was 16 during WWII and quit school, lied about his age and joined the navy so he could serve. He spent the war in the South Pacific on a PT boat. After the war, he went back to school and graduated and I proudly wear his high school ring today.

Bless all our soldiers past and present!

I've been watching CNN all morning. One special day among all our days to say thank you to our military. We know how fortunate we are for the people who protect our rights and our shores. Thank you and God Bless, Wendy and Dan

Yes, a big thanks to those who served and are serving! Many of which are my friends!

"Good night Smedley D. Butler wherever you are..."
We had to say that everynight in Marine Corps bootcamp back in 82...
It wasn't until i read his "War is a Racket"
that i realized the true love he had for his country
and especially the Marines he Commanded...
And the seriousness of the actual decision to go into combat....
Smedley told it like it was...
That he was proud of his Service and his men
but had severe misgivings to some unnecessary battles and invasions....
What a brave honorable man to speak his mind
only after accomplishing his missions and career...
Class Act!

Happy Memorial Day to you all
and to all those servicemen and women out there!
Thank you for making the many sacrifices it takes to serve!
Semper Fi!

On 2010-05-31 08:22, littlegiles wrote:
Very well said!

It is on Memorial Day that I miss my father the most. I was always super proud of my dad. He was 16 during WWII and quit school, lied about his age and joined the navy so he could serve. He spent the war in the South Pacific on a PT boat. After the war, he went back to school and graduated and I proudly wear his high school ring today.

My dad also lied about his age to join the Marines at age 16. He went through boot camp & special training, but the war ended before he was sent overseas. I had 4 uncles in combat, 2 from each side of the family. After the war, my dad went to work as a maintenance mechanic at an abrasives factory. He later went back to get his High School Diploma, Bachelor's Degree & Master's Degree, while working full-time, sometimes 2 jobs & supporting a wife & 2 kids. He finally just ran out of gas halfway to his Doctorate. That generation has always amazed me. Nothing was out of reach or impossible for them. If it needed to be done, they just did it. I try to live my life as much like them as possible & I hope my Mom & Dad would be proud of me.

TT

I really don't think I can say anything that has not already been said about our brave warriors out there everyday protecting my sorry ass. I thank my lucky stars every day that we live in the greatest nation on earth and have thousands of brave men and women willing to fight to keep it that way.

To all soldiers past present and future; Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

It's that time again & I'd like to, once again, take this opportunity to thank all of our veterans, past & present, especially those who paid the ultimate price so that we may enjoy all of the freedoms we live with everyday. I hope they have found eternal peace. I leave you with the latest incarnation of my WWII tribute display in my lounge, including the miniature flag pole I found this year, lowered to half mast.
Rick

T

A noble tribute to all of those past and present who serve/have served our country and defended her so that we may enjoy manifold freedoms; we owe you more than mere words can confer, but a sincere and heartfelt thank you...

-Tom

P
Polly posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2011 7:08 PM

May God bless all of us.

The date of this post is 11/11/11 which may have been declared as Nigel Tufnel Day but more importantly it is Veterans Day. So to all of you who served our country in the military service, thank you for preserving our freedom which not only allows us to debate about what is tiki but to speak our minds about much bigger issues.

On 2010-05-31 06:49, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'd like to stray from Tiki for just a moment to offer my sincere Thanks to all of those who served our country, past & present, living & dead & especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can live in this great country. To my parents generation, raised in the depression & who came of age during WWII, I offer a special Thank You. You faced obstacles we will never know & with your courage, hard-work & indomitable spirit, you triumphed over tyranny & gave us the ability to live the lives we lead & be who we need to be.
Thank You & God Bless

This year, I share with you a poignant song, recorded by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap. Though it was recorded during the Vietnam War, it fits with any time period.
Rick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9dMcPpFmM&feature=em-share_video_user

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-05-28 08:00 ]

T

AMEN

I have family currently serving & would like to thank all the young Men & Women
in all branches of the service.

Thanks to everyone in the armed services for everything they give us and thanks to those who gave so much. If you see someone in the service shake their hand it doesn't take much time but can mean a bunch.

Though I'm new here, I would like to post one of my favorite Memorial Day sentiments, "In Flanders Fields," by Lt. Col. John McRae:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Good night Kinny wherever you are! Well said Little Braddah,
Semper Fidelis
David and CeCe

On 2010-05-31 08:22, littlegiles wrote:
Very well said!

Nice sentiment.
And, we can't forget the enormous role that those returning from the Pacific theater in WWII made in patronizing the Tiki establishments upon their triumphant return.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.