Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

crap by GROG

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 10:44 PM

That's a nice haul Mauitiki. GROG mug honored to be amongst such great mugs. It was really nice meeting you, too. Hope you can make it to Oasis again next year.

There some things that not make it to Oasis--- some Java Bobs that need their glaze fixed, and a couple of bowls that need some glaze fixing, too. GROG got some orders from people, so PM GROG if you want something and GROG put you on list, but it all has to be poured, cleaned, fired, glazed, and fired again before it ready. There only one Tiki Bob shot mold, so GROG can only pour about three a day, and then GROG also have to have enough stuff made to fill the kiln enough to make it cost effective to do a firing. So, in other words----if you order something now like Bob Shots or Bob S&Ps, they probably won't be ready for a month or so. Ceramics are definitely not an "instant gratification" type of art. There's also plenty of steps along the way to a finished product, so plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-07-21 10:01 ]

P

some day . . .

grog very skilld.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 27, 2010 12:07 AM

Thanx.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 29, 2010 11:27 AM

GROG pouring greenware like crazy to get all the orders filled, but only one Bob Shot mold makes it a bit slow going. You can only pour a few a day. You have to let your mold dry out between pours, or it degrades faster and you get fewer pieces out of it before it becomes unusable. GROG try and make a few more plaster molds today, but it takes a week for them to dry out before you can start using them to cast pieces.

Here's the main problem with some of the glazing on the Java Bobs. Runny Mascara eyes, and runny type. GROG has remedied the problem, and no longer has the problem when glazing Bob Shots, but GROG still have to go in and fix the Java Bobs.

GROG has had several people ask about the two bowls that didn't make it to Oasis. GROG took them with GROG to ceramic place where GROG get supplies, and they help GROG figure out what GROG doing wrong, so hopefully GROG not have this problem anymore in the future.

Glaze chipping off on the first bowl, and glaze "crawling" on the second. The second bowl already has the glaze touchups on the bowl, so you can't really see the prblem, but you can see where the problem was. Hopefully with some glaze touch ups and refiring these guys can be salvaged, too.

E

OK, glazing mugs looks like a big pain-in-the-ass.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 30, 2010 9:25 AM

It IS a pain in the ass, but most of the troubles are from GROG' inexperience as ceramicist and firing (first time to own a kiln and fire GROG own stuff). But, GROG learning as GROG go and should have fewer and fewer glaze problems. (knock on wood)

W

To have GROG bowl with small blemish would still be treasure!!

I appreciate the time, effort and hard work

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 11:03 AM

Everybody who order GROG' crap, thanks for your patience. Here photographic evidence GROG working to get those orders filled.

Made a few more Bob Shot molds, so GROG can pour more greenware per day.
They need a couple more days of drying before GROG can start pouring them.

I see my mug!!!
ok, now. Chop chop!
Get to glazing, Grog!
:)
-Andy

Hi Grog, we have your bowls in the Buzzy Bedroom for all to admire. I was just on the phone with Joniece Frank. She said every piece of pottery she makes (Frankoma's) is blown with a compressor to remove all dust. If it sits for a day it's too dusty to glaze. She then uses a real sponge. Wipe once turn the sponge over and wipe again. Go rinse the sponge and do it on the next section of the piece. She said if you don't do this the glaze with crawl or fall off. When I start on my Zombie Sacramento mugs I'm going to use her technique. Hugs, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2010 3:30 PM

On 2010-09-08 10:24, Tiki Joe's Pop wrote:
I see my mug!!!
ok, now. Chop chop!
Get to glazing, Grog!
-Andy

Oops! "Accidently" broke your mug Andy. You may have to wait 3 or 4 more months.

Thanks Wendy, how to clean the bisque before glazing was one of the things that Aardvark Clays had mentioned.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 12:59 AM

Getting a good load ready for the kiln, so should be ready to do a bisque fire later this week, and hopefully a glaze fire sometime next week so GROG can get these orders filled and move on to some new stuff. Thanks for your patience everybody who order some of GROG crap.

E

Grog, I've long thought you produce some of the best crap ...

Sweet S & P shakers made it...., Mahalo Grog.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 3:45 PM

On 2010-09-21 02:49, ebtiki wrote:

Thanks, hopefully more BETTER crap down the road.

Glad you got your S&P's Aquaorama.

I sincerely agree, GROG does make good crap. But I'm questioning the sincerity behind GROG's recent and highly controversial thread in in Bilge.

Does GROG truly have a bone to pick or is this just a clever way for GROG to promote his crap? Imagine if he had an entire forum named after his product line...GROG would like unto a god!

E

My guess is that GROG gets a cut of every Tiki Jeep sold ... possibly every time someone types the words Tiki Jeep.

Tiki Jeep Tiki Jeep Tiki Jeep Tiki Jeep Tiki Jeep Tiki Jeep Tiki Jeep

Grog, you owe me ...

S

On 2010-09-21 15:45, GROG wrote:

On 2010-09-21 02:49, ebtiki wrote:

Thanks, hopefully more BETTER crap down the road.

Glad you got your S&P's Aquaorama.

More better is not good english Grog :)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 23, 2010 10:05 AM

"More, even better crap down the road."

How's this? Is it more better?

Grog, your well sculpted crap is on my list of crap to buy. I just need to find a crappy job first.

I bought some of Grog's crap. Got ripped off though, got salt and pepper shakers instead of crap!

**GROG NUMBER ONE!!!

GROG NUMBER ONE!!!

GROG NUMBER ONE!!!**

S

On 2010-09-23 10:05, GROG wrote:
"More, even better crap down the road."

How's this? Is it more better?

Perfect!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 24, 2010 10:35 AM

For all you people who are waiting on orders, we're getting closer.

Greenware is all poured and has been cleaned. Now for some underglazing and then the bisque fire.

On 2010-09-24 10:35, GROG wrote:
For all you people who are waiting on orders, we're getting closer.

Luckily my computer has X-ray Vision, is that Lionel Richie or are you working on a new Don Cornelius the Beachcomber mug? :D

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 24, 2010 6:47 PM

Actually, it's the John Holmes tribute mug.

That's amazing how your x-ray computer can de-blur the image like that.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-09-24 18:48 ]

M

UH OH John Holmes eeewwwwwwwww yukkers, would that be big bad dong? ROFLMAO

I want me some of that Grog crap!

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2010-09-28 17:04 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 3:50 PM

Those of you who were wondering about the topknots on the mugs at the left that have an open top....

....they are actually shot glasses/lids.

They're harder to make (of the 5 I've made, only three survived), so they cost an extra $5.

W

Very cool Grog! Sorry they are giving you grief.

T

Love your top-knot shot Moai, Grog. May have to hit you up for a dark Moai with a reddish top...

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 4:58 PM

Truly great crap! Bravo! I admire your craftsmanship.

Don't you mean Crapmanship? :lol:

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 5:43 PM

Thanks guys.

"Crapmanship." :D

Si.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 6:42 PM

GROG was destined to make ceramic mugs. GROG had one sculpture class in college. We had an assignment to make a combination slab built/coil built piece that was "a recognizable object that broke down into 2 to 4 drinking vessels". So, GROG (having a sense of humor) make a toilet that broke down into 3 cups. The artsy fartsy teacher (not having much of a sense of humor) give GROG an "A" for skill and a "B" for the idea. But he LOVED the bowl of fruit another student did that when you picked up the fruit and turned 'em over---ta da, they're cups! Oooooo.... so clever. :roll:

This defines what is wrong with contemporary education!
~kele

M

LOL Grog! Love the toilet bowl, Great Idea!

Bump!

Updates?

Chris

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 12:30 PM

OK. Update for you.

Did a bisque fire and now I'm glazing stuff for a glaze fire.

I've touched up two bowls from Oasis and I need clear glaze them and then HOPEFULLY they will be OK.

I got some crawling on some of the underglazes of the Bobshots and S&P's that need to be touched up, and they need clear glaze, and then HOPEFULLY they will be OK.

These guys are bisque fired and ready for glaze.

These guys need to be textured and bisque fired (they're in bags to keep them wet until I can get to them)

Bob S&P's about to be glazed. (GROG hate glazing, especially on the Tiki Bob crap---trying to do a straight line on a bumpy surface :x, and those stupid eyes and mouth :x)

This month has/is pretty darned busy with social obligations, too.
Two funerals--Tiki-Kate and neighbor.
Three birthday parties.
Book of Tiki gallery opening in Palm Springs (two hours away)
Holden tour of Tiki Farm 10 year retrospective
Atomikitty Wedding
A visit to check out the new bar Tiki-No Bamboo Ben is building.
Two tiki partys this weekend and one next weekend.
Trying to organize/advertise and also make some art for the Tonga
Hut Halloween art show coming up in less than two weeks (Yikes --I'm so
behind!)
Had to do some photo retouching for an actress portfolio photos.
Plus, I'm still trying to find a real job so I don't have to sell my house
when my unemployment insurance runs out in January.
Iwas supposed to go down and judge an art show at a middle school in
Orange County, but thank God they got somebody else to do it.
I'm the busiest unemployed guy I know.

So please have patience with GROG, It'll all get done one of these days. :)

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-20 12:35 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 12:39 PM

Update at bottom of previous page.

All these GROG was showing are all orders that GROG trying to finish up. Not really much as for as extra inventory for GROG to sell at The Tonga Hut Halloween art show, but thankfully GROG still have Moai S&P's left over from Oasis.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-20 12:41 ]

Thanks GROG!

First and foremost, I hope you find employment.

I'm patient just wanted an update, nothing else.

I actually envy your level of Tiki involvement that I lack here in this part of the country obviously.
I don't envy the funerals of course.

Thanks again for the update.

Chris

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 12:52 PM

GROG appreciate your patience, and the others waiting for GROG' crap to get finished.

GROG going to have to ignore this computer and Tiki Central for awhile so GROG can really concentrate on getting stuff finished. You hardly see other artists like Crazy Al, Diablo, Squid, Babalu, Bowana, etc. posting anything until it's finished and ready to go. GROG should do the same.

W

Well, do what you must as long as you occasionally post a hilarious photoshop involving Kinny! :lol:

Take your time, this is art man! Want grog crap!

Glad to see you're really taking more time for art,GROG!
Only good things can come of it!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 22, 2010 11:39 AM

It's just ceramics. It's not really art. :D

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 23, 2010 1:11 PM

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-26 13:43 ]

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Oct 23, 2010 1:47 PM

i like crap by grog :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies