Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 404 replies

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2012 11:07 PM

Just read the whole thread. Awesome. I look forward to more!

P

The windows and tower are remnants of Kelbo's, but that is all that is left. I went to F.I. after it first opened, and there was still some Kelbo's left there. There was a "shipwreck" room that still had some of the old Kelbo's decor, but it was realy the lounge connected to the bar and had no dancing in the room itself. There was also a "dungeon" room and a "harem" room with some cute girls dancing there. I have been back twice since then, and each time it had deteriorated more than the time before. The last time I was there was maybe 10 years ago and all traces of Kelbo's, tiki, and even the fantasy rooms were gone. It was much as you describe now. I saw no reason to ever return.

I used to go to the Melody frequently. They used to have a Wednesday night show called "Guitarology". The food and drinks are decent, but despite having a "tiki" room there are no tiki drinks there. The tiki room is a tacky tiki decorated room where they store the pool tables. There is a tiki bar that I have never seen used, some bamboo and matting and a tiki mask or two and that is all there is. I like the place, but I don't go there for tiki. Unfortunately, the guitarology night is over so I doubt I'll be going there quite as often.

[i]On 2012-11-07 19:55, JOHN-O wrote:

Unlike other long gone Tiki landmarks, the Kelbo's building wasn't razed but instead re-purposed. And the new business wasn't some unimaginative retail outlet but rather an establishment that still held the promise of an alcohol-fueled "exotic" experience.

A travesty. Neither Tiki, nor exotic entertainment.

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2012 1:10 PM

Hey it's still better than a Wallgreens, right?

right

I think you just weren't looking hard enough John. I propose we take a field trip...on a Friday or Saturday night to provide further uh, "intelligence". Yeah, that's it. :wink:

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 8:55 PM

On 2012-11-09 10:02, Jason Wickedly wrote:

I think you just weren't looking hard enough John. I propose we take a field trip...on a Friday or Saturday night to provide further uh, "intelligence". Yeah, that's it. :wink:

Sounds good Jason, we can also make it a mid-century twofer...

Let's start out at my beloved Billingsley's Restaurant which is just down the block from Fantasy Island.

It's a vintage 1946 steak house opened by Glenn Billingsley Sr. who also owned the Outrigger at the Surf & Sand Hotel in Laguna Beach (a Tiki connection !!).

Also Glenn Sr. was married to Barbara Billingsley, who played the Beav's mom on "Leave it to Beaver" (a Beaver connection !!).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-11-09 21:00 ]

Looks like Glenn Billingsley Sr. was Peter Billingsley's 2nd cousin, so just in time for the season you have a Christmas Connection!

J

Ahhh, the Bo Ling, Chop Suey Palace. I like how the "w" in the Bowling sign has burned out.

This place was so famous, they immortalized it in resin !! Now all we need is a drink menu to document the fact they served a Scorpion Bowl.

Good setup Boris, I've been meaning to focus on vintage "Chinky Chinese" places that serve Mai Tais. In addition to the usual suspects, I might have couple of places up my sleeve that haven't been documented on TC yet.

I plan to subtitle the thread "...No Tickee, No Tiki". (Is that racist ??) :)

I wish I could find information or pictures of the LimeHouse restaurant that used to be in San Diego on Mission bay drive. That place was a classic chinese joint!

J

On 2012-04-02 01:02, JOHN-O wrote:

Ok, so for the third attempt in the last several years I try to order a Zombie at Lakanuki (Mammoth Lakes like all ski towns is a sausage fest). I get the same reply as the first two times...

"What's a Zombie ??" :D

The fourth times the charm !! :)

I think. :-?

OK, so it's not the classic 1934 Don's version but at 8,000 foot elevation, Tiki beggars can't be choosers.

I observe that many "modern" cocktails are more about using recognizable brand names instead of breaking into the realm of quality ingredients. Fortunately exceptions to this seem to be growing and flourishing. There are now three bars in my city where they pride themselves on making craft cocktails with top-shelf and generally unknown (to the general populace) ingredients. And then recently there appeared a brand-new liquor store which specializes in high-end distilled spirits -- so there is much good news in that the word is getting out again about quality cocktails and ingredients.

I visited Mammoth Lakes to attend their annual Jazz Festival a few years ago and visited that bar. I looked at the menu and t hen decided not to order anything. I didn't notice any sausage, just lots of pretty girls. :) Mammoth is a beautiful place, even more so if you get out of the town and explore the surrounding mountain and desert areas. I need to go back again.

J

Not a classic Zombie, but nevertheless a perfect Tropical mix of sweet, sour, and stiffness.

If I ever run another Westside Bar Crawl, this craft cocktail place is on the agenda. :)

Have you set a date yet John-0? Count me in.
David

Did someone say "Crawl"?

DC

Great Zombie thread!

Kav, Quit trying to derail this thread! stay on topic.

J

On 2013-01-15 20:42, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Have you set a date yet John-0? Count me in.
David

Actually next week I'm leading an expedition to the infamous Portland Tiki Triangle.

It's like the Bermuda Triangle except it's a smaller area and it's Tiki. :D

Starting point will be the downtown Ace Hotel.

PM me for the details.

John-0, Looking forward to reading your report on the "triangle" I wish CeCe would let me stray that far north.
Btw, I hope Kav realizes my "derail" comments were tongue in cheek.
Have a safe and fun trip.
David

J

:right:

J

:right: :right:

J

And the world's greatest Tiki city is...

Portland, Oregon !!

So what makes the PDX so Tiki spectacular ?? I'll argue that it has more quality Tiki within a 3 mile radius than any other city. It all centers on what I dub the Portland Tiki Triangle...

1. The first point of that triangle is the Alibi Tiki Lounge...

Walking in I felt like I was transported to the early 1970's with the Alibi's dark interior, blood red vinyl booths and velvet curtains accentuating the Polynesian decor, and Al Green crooning from the speakers. For that sublime time machine experience, I'd place the Alibi in my all time top 3 Tiki visits. :) The trick to this place as I learned however is the timing. The Alibi has a big reputation for Karaoke 7 nights a week. The bartender I spoke with said it can get pretty loud and boisterous in the back room and they compensate in the main bar area with even louder music. When I visited in the mid-afternoon, it was really quiet with only a few local barflies and I felt fortunate to have the place pretty much to myself. The Alibi has a pretty comprehensive Tropical cocktail menu but honestly mixology is besides the point for this well preserved anomaly.

And just down the street is this classic mid-century signage...

1. The second point of the Tiki Triangle is the new Trader Vic's...

OK so for anyone who's written off the TV brand, they really should visit this place. No compromises here, this is classic TV-style done right for the 21st century. As for the cocktails, the drinks were consistent with what I've experienced at every other TV, i.e. the Zombie was pretty poor and the Navy Grog always good. One thing they really nailed here was the background music. I heard Exotica, Hapa Haole, Tijuana Brass, John Barry, "Blue Hawaii" Elvis, and a steel version of the Beatles' "All the Lonely People" !! I chatted with the GM, he was a big fan of the old Beverly Hills TV and this location reflects that appreciation.

1. The third point of the Tiki Triangle is Hale Pele...

AKA former Thatch bar. WOW !! This small place gets it SO right in so many regards. The atmosphere really encourages relaxation and quiet conversation while sipping on expertly mixed cocktails. Great background music here too, I heard Yma followed by Jimmie Rodgers ("Everyone Does it in Hawaii") followed by Eden Ahbez. And every so often a thunderstorm sound effect would add to the mood. Lots of great Tiki art, I think I recognized some of Lake Surfer's pieces.

Besides the Tiki Triangle here are some other interesting places that Portland has to offer.

1. Rum Club...

Portland is blowing up with New Cocktailian establishments, you could spend an entire vacation sampling all of its high-end alcoholic offerings. The Rum Club pays homage to Tikidom's favorite libation but most of the menu focuses on non-Tropical mixology.

1. Republic Cafe...

Mid-century Chop Suey joints serving Mai Tais are a vanishing breed so I was really happy to find this place. This is one of Portland's oldest bars dating back to 1922. Check out that vintage signage (unfortunately most of the neon is burnt out) and THIS is Tiki food !!...

1. Jamison Square...

This public park has a display of what the artist refers to as "Tiki totems". So is this a good example of combining a primitive aesthetic with modernism and a dash of whimsy (like our good pal Tiki Bob) or is it just really bad art ?? I dunno, you be the judge. Here's one person's hilarious opinion on that.

1. Powell's Books...

A four story building of new and used books, this place boggles the mind. Why doesn't LA have a place like this ?? !! And when was the last time you saw a BOT in the wild ? And for only $27, that's less than half the price than you can find on Amazon for a used copy. And please file Tiki under the "Excess Culture" category, haha.

1. Voodoo Doughnuts...

Everyone said "JOHN-O, you MUST visit this place".

I didn't visit this place.

If they had a Tiki shaped donut, I might have. But they didn't. Donuts are not Tiki !!

The End. :tiki:

Good post! I made it to Vic's last summer, but Hale Pele wasn't open yet.

Voodoo Donuts -- not tiki, but everyone said GO THERE. When I did go, the line was out the door and one full city block down the street. Truly insane and worth the wait, but is was with a group and you know how that can go. But I looked inside, took some photos of the long line, etc.

I will return...

Awesome Travelogue John-O, I must visit this triangle. Cheers!

Well John-0, There you go again. Outstanding as usual. Mahalo for all the enjoyment that you bring-mo betta then most travelogues.
David

Nailed it!

TM

Amazing!

We hit the "triangle" every time we are in the area...

Good work John O,
thanks

I really Need to get back up to Portland.
It's been about 5 years since I was there.
I went to the Alibi and Thatch.

Vics and the new Hale Pele is calling me.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2013-01-23 23:49 ]

Another great post, John-O! You've given me a reason to go to Portland now!

Like I said at the Tiki marketplace, "John-O, you've been everywhere!" to which he replied, "I've never been to CHINA!"
I don't know why I still find that so funny....

J

Actually I've never been to the Foundation Bar (Milwaukee), Kon-Tiki (Tucson), or Chef Shangri-La (Chicago). These are all places high on my Tiki "To Do" list.

Also I've never been to the Enchanted Tiki Room despite having visited Disneyland since the age of 6.

Edit - Or New York Tiki... Otto's Shrunken Head and Painkiller. Someday !! :) And I meant Foundation BAR not Room, I always get the name mixed up with the place in Vegas.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-01-25 10:46 ]

You will like the Foundation Bar.

[ Edited by: Lunavideogames 2013-01-24 21:18 ]

On 2013-01-23 19:23, JOHN-O wrote:

1. Voodoo Doughnuts...

Everyone said "JOHN-O, you MUST visit this place".

I didn't visit this place.

If they had a Tiki shaped donut, I might have. But they didn't. Donuts are not Tiki !!

Here's the logo Tiki from the 2007 Tiki Kon as done by event sponsor Voodoo Doughnut.

My apologies John-O, you were saying?

TM

On 2013-01-24 18:59, JOHN-O wrote:
Actually I've never been to the Foundation Room (Milwaukee), Kon-Tiki (Tucson), or Chef Shangri-La (Chicago). These are all places high on my Tiki "To Do" list.

Also I've never been to the Enchanted Tiki Room despite having visited Disneyland since the age of 6.

Edit - Or New York Tiki... Otto's Shrunken Head and Painkiller. Someday !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-01-24 19:18 ]

In order:

Train around Disneyland
Enchanted Tiki Room
Purchase dole whip
jungle boat cruise
Indiana Jones and the temple of doom
Pirates of the carribean
haunted mansion
splash mountain
thunder mountain
alice and wonderland
Matterhorn
small world
finding nemo
Monorail round trip
space mountain
star tours
Great moments with Mr. Lincoln

That's the best classic disney day, all planned out for you!

great moments with mr. lincoln

The Foundation Bar in Milwaukee is a great place. Lake Tiki has done a great job with the carvings and the owners have filled it with lots of classic tiki bar ambiance. The drinks are very good and are inexpensive, at least by bay area standards. It's one of those small Midwest neighborhood bars but this one transports you to tiki wonderland the moment you step through the door. It's not a dive bar but it is near a dive neighborhood!

J

On 2013-01-24 19:56, Bora Boris wrote:

Here's the logo Tiki from the 2007 Tiki Kon as done by event sponsor...

My apologies John-O, you were saying?

I stand corrected.

Donuts ARE Tiki !!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 12:07 AM

On 2013-01-24 22:48, JOHN-O wrote:

I stand corrected.

Donuts ARE Tiki !!

GROG second that!!

I concur!

JohnO! What a great post! I've been up all night here at work, and read this from the beginning. It's 3:30 am and now I want a Zombie! Of course in another hour I'll feel like one!

Hey John-O

Excellent thread!

I can say we, too, have been all around the country going to tiki bars, and the Foundation is truly outstanding and one of my all-time favorite bars, period. The drinks are excellent, the vibe is absolutely perfect... lots of other great bars in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas, too- tiki-and-non (Bryant's, Safe House, At Random, and of course the Rendez'vous in Kenosha for your Tiki/Pirate fix...)

We live in Chicago, but are up in Milwaukee at least once a month hittin' the old stomping grounds.

And the Chef is a MUST VISIT! Great food, strong drinks, awesome owners, and one of the most classic joints in the Midwest. Be sure to aim for the third Saturday of the month for some top-shelf entertainment and Midwestern Ohana to go with yr egg rolls and Dr. Fongs!

If you're making the Chicago-area rounds (I'm sure you've already been to Hala Kahiki), you should check out The Breakers in Crystal Lake as well- it's off the beaten path, but well worth the time it takes to get there. Good food, great staff, solid drinks, and a totally classic Tiki vibe. It's also on the way to Wisconsin, if you don't mind veering off course a bit.

In the meantime, it seems I gotta start looking into finally heading out to Portland and checking out what they've got going on out there...

--Pete

J

Thanks for all the great recommendations Pete !!

One chief reason I really want to visit the Foundation Bar is that it's owned by Don Nelson of the Exotics surf band. They toured So Ca a couple of years ago and I've enjoyed them performing at many Tiki events like Oasis and Hukilau as well as the SG101 Convention.

I first met Don several years ago when 4 guys asked me to take their picture in front of a Tiki at San Francisco's famous Tonga Room. They thanked me and gave me their band sticker. I said "Hey, I know who you guys are !!" :)

You said it about the Exotics! Those guys are aces all the way.

Don actually built a little stage in the the back of Foundation maybe a year or so ago so they can play there from time to time.

Also, they shot all their promo photos for that recent 7" they released at The Safe House, which is a must-visit on yr Milwaukee expedition. It's not Tiki (the Mata Hari booth MIGHT count as Exotic at least...)but it IS an awesome spy-themed restaurant with revolving book cases, a secret entrance, and tons of great mixed drinks in take-home glassware. They've been in business since 1966... Very cool place!

Interestingly, we first met the Exotics guys in a similar weird twist; we were seated right next to them at the Mai Kai during Hukilau.. we were chatting at the table, they said they were from Milwaukee, to which we began spewing accolades on the Foundation. Little did we know at the time it's Don's bar!

It's a homey little community we got here...

--Pete

Hey John-O that was really fun to see. Wendy

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 7:46 PM

"Man, you don't stand a chance if you go down in Chinatown" - Thin Lizzy

"How do you get shirts so clean Mr. Lee ?"..."Ancient Chinese Secret" - 1970's Calgon commercial

"Chinese... Japanese... Dirty Knees... TIKIS !!" - Popular playground limerick (JOHN-O version)

Mid-century Chinese dive bars in the tradition of LA's Hop Louie and the lamented Yee Mee Loo have always been a favorite of mine. I love that combination of historic character, "Chinky Chinese" kitsch, noir-ish atmosphere, and colorful locals.

Unfortunately in Los Angeles, these Chop Suey era bars are pretty much extinct. :(

San Francisco, on the other hand, is a different story. :)

Recently I was creepy crawling around SF's Chinatown and documented some places with that old-school flavor. I was even able to order a Mai Tai at each spot, but I did have to put aside any direct comparisons to the Trader Vic's classic version.

1. Li Po

From its vintage neon sign to the golden Buddha shrine, this place was tops when it comes to that aura of exotic Oriental mystery. Most appropriately it's probably Chinatown's oldest bar dating back to the 1930's. It's also home to the Chinese Mai Tai where the special ingredient is Chinese whiskey !!

2. Buddha Lounge

Right across the street from Li Po, this bar dates back to the 1940's although I'm skeptical that "Buddha" was the original name. Unlike Li Po, there were no Buddhas in sight. It did however seem like a good place to obtain alcoholic enlightenment. And why hasn't anyone opened up a Jesus themed bar ??

3. Empress of China

Just down the street was this multi-floor banquet hall. While not really a dive bar, the 5th floor cocktail lounge did have a retro vibe of faded glamour. This feeling was reinforced by all of the celebrity photographs on the ground floor dating from the 1960's through the mid 70's when this place was the Chinatown shit. Great views of Coit Tower but they do close early at 10pm.

4. Bow Bow Lounge

Actually I think Bow Wow Lounge sounds cooler but I guess that's not very Chinesy. This place isn't quite as mid-century old as some of the other bars listed, but it is well known for the nightly karaoke. My bartender generously serenaded me and the only other sole patron with two Chinese Pop songs. Try to get service like that at the Tiki-Ti !!

5. Red's Place

This place also claims to be one of the oldest bars in Chinatown but I think Li Po has it beat by several years. They did dig up a vintage photo for me to study. My bartender first made me a Chinese Mai Tai but later mixed me a Ginger Mojito (their house special) on the house when she learned I was on assignment for Tiki Central. It was my favorite cocktail of the evening !!

6. Mr. Bing's

The infamous Mr. Bing's !! :)... was closed the night I tried to visit. :(

And just outside of Chinatown, I was able to visit these extra credit TIKI bars...

**7. Hawaii West **

This cool Tiki dive bar flies low on the radar on TC and that's really a shame. Dating back to the late 60's, it's been owned by two generations of the same Hawaiian family. I thought the Korean soap operas being played on the TV was a nice touch and it was certainly the most patriotic Mai Tai I've ever had. But really though, shouldn't it be Hawaii "East" ??

8. Bamboo Hut

Situated in Broadway's nudie club district, this Revival place is like the evil Tiki brother to Disney's Trader Sam's. I thought the large lighted Moai hanging on the black lava rock wall was pretty cool. They told me it came from a defunct Arizona Tiki bar. Also The Hula Girls played here once !!

And now I'm making a clean break to Smuggler's Cove for one of their Caucasian Mai Tais !!...

The End. :drink:

Great Work John O,
I think the Swank Bastards have played there also.

Jeff(btd)

BB

They can say "Defunct Arizona Tiki Bar" if they want but we know it's from the Coral Reef in Sacramento. :roll:

Arizona! :lol:

Been to the Bamboo Hut around 2000, has it changed much since then?
I remember some of the S.F. swing (Swing Dancing) scene people hanging out there.

Thanks for documenting, John-O!

John-O,

The Buddha is one of my go to dives when I am in Chinatown. These paintings by Sean Kirkpatrick adorn my walls.

DC

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 404 replies