JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 404 replies

John-O,

Well said, Bravo!

DC

OK then!

S

John-O,
I hope to bring my Mai-Kai tour (minus the drunken aspect) to everyone for next year's Hukilau. Lots of details, but maybe a walking history tour along with a presentation. I am doing a Mai-Kai presentation at Oasis this year and will likely bring it to Hukilau as well next year.
Great to meet you and many other TCers this year! The true Ohana keeps growing!

J

On 2011-06-16 09:44, Swanky wrote:
I hope to bring my Mai-Kai tour (minus the drunken aspect) to everyone for next year's Hukilau. Lots of details, but maybe a walking history tour along with a presentation. I am doing a Mai-Kai presentation at Oasis this year and will likely bring it to Hukilau as well next year.

Sign me up! But you'd better carry a little pennant when you lead the tour, like they do at the Disney theme parks. :wink:

J

Bali Hai...

This was my first visit since the remodel of last year. They did a great job, it's all very tasteful, befitting the space-age design. I often wonder how "Tikied-out", the interior actually was back in the 1960's.

You know I had the Zombie, took a picture of the Zombie but I can't for the life of me remember what it was like. Not after the Bali Hai's famous Mai Tai(s) as a follow-up. Only at the Bali Hai, is the Mai Tai stronger than the Zombie !! So let's discuss that…

Not a Don's Mai Tai, not a Vic's Mai Tai, it was "Mai Tai" in name only. With 2 different types of rum and NO juice, it was rude, it was crude, it was shocking. It was also a very Tiki efficient way to get from Point A to Point B. :) A manly man's Tropical cocktail to be sure. Does this recipe actually date back to the mid-1950's for them?

Yes I know Grog Log purists might be horrified, but this drink got me to thinking. If the heart of Tiki Revival culture is truly (in Bigbro's words), "Ancestor Worship" then shouldn't we always put historical accuracy before mixology quality? Let's say for the sake of argument the Mai Tai at the Bali Hai is the exact same recipe they were using 50 years ago. As Tikiphiles, shouldn't we opt for that "keepin' it real" experience rather than enjoying a artfully crafted cocktail using fresh juices and premium rums?

If you've read my previous posts on this thread, then you know the cocktails at historical landmarks like the Tonga Room and the Hale Kahiki are also considered below par based on today's New Cocktailian standards. If they are indeed serving up the same drinks, wouldn't our Tiki preference be to experience them in the EXACT fashion as our Tiki forefathers? We'd like to think that every cocktail back in the day was like drinking at Smuggler's Cove but isn't that just wishful thinking on our part?

Just take one for the team.

Do it for Tiki !! :D

We have discussed this before here. In my mind, "ancestor worship" means keeping the SPIRIT of previous generations alive by reenacting their traditions - but that not to the degree of slavishly copying their ways. As in any religion, if a tradition does not adapt to the changes of the outside world, it will not evolve and eventually petrify and die out. On the other hand, if a mystical path is adapted and modernized TOO much so it looses sight of its origins, it is equally doomed.

The challenge to walk this fine line between keeping a thing alive or compromising its essence has fractured many religions into splinter groups that claim authenticity and denounce the others. My work is trying to maintain that balance for the contemporary cult of Tiki. :)

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and will be in LA soon, I look forward to trying some of your recommendations.

Paul

J

OK, Disney (or rather the post-1960's cultural impact of the Disney corporation) has never been my cup of tea.

To this historic dive bar loving Tikiphile, the concept of "Disneyfication" is horrifying...

**Dis-ney-fi-ca-tion (noun)

: the transformation (as of something real or unsettling) into carefully controlled and safe entertainment or an environment with similar qualities.**

Yes, I enjoyed Disneyland as a pre-teen but as I've grown older, the nostalgia of those childhood memories has grown less and less. In retrospect, I think Bukowski pegged Uncle Walt's legacy correctly. :D

And isn't this place in San Francisco the real "Trader Sam's" anyway?

So all that said, what was this Disney grinch's take on this "new" Trader Sam's?...

I must admit, it was a REAL Tiki bar, very true to the spirit of mid-century Tiki-style. I'd put it one notch below the Tiki Revival perfection of places like Forbidden Island and Frankie's Tiki Room but higher than Trader Vic's recent efforts like Downtown LA.

They nailed the background music, as I heard the sounds of Tikiyaki Orchestra upon entering. After that, it was all classic Exotica. :)

Their version of the Zombie, the "Shrunken Head Zombie", was by no means a classic 1934 Zombie but it was apparent they are taking their mixology seriously. The bourbon drink "Shipwreck on the Rocks" was excellent !!

If you really want a sublime Tropical cocktail, order the off-menu "Pluto's Punch". You have to ask the lovely Rhonda to mix it for you (but only if she deems you Tiki-worthy).

I also ran into Dinah DeRosa who was there on a photo shoot for the OC Weekly. :)

All in all an excellent visit !! (But I still hate Mickey Mouse).

On 2011-06-23 20:48, JOHN-O wrote:

\
All in all an excellent visit !! (But I still hate Mickey Mouse).

John-O:

Isn't there a special place in Hell for those who hate Mickey?

Are am I taking my Dante just a bit too seriously?

It seems that Disneyland was the introduction to Tiki for many here
my observation is this applies to TCers who were to young to be exposed to actual Tiki bars or supper clubs
maybe some of the older TCers can chime in on this?

But I am with John-O on this one, I share no sentimentality with the enchanted Tiki room as it has no
relation to an actual Tiki Bar, cocktails and all.

After all one was aimed squarely at kids and the other strictly for adults and at this stage in my life
I prefer the later.

So after an all to short visit to Trader Sam's, To short to really take in the place
at least I was able to enjoy the bar for a few minutes so I ordered a Pluto's Punch
as per John-Os recommendation and I gotta say this is one of the best cocktails
that I have had in a while, top notch! sublime! tasty as hell! four stars!

I had to get to back to the home territory and could not stay longer, a Zombie will have to wait until next time.

CTiT out.....

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-06-26 12:17 ]

J

:)

J

See below...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-14 12:10 ]

On 2011-07-14 02:07, JOHN-O wrote:

Final stop on the Punch Crawl...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40586&forum=17&9

...so I can't remember what their take on the Zombie, "28 Days Later" was like.

Trader Tom, please comment. :)

As the final stop on the punch tour, I'm afraid my palate was a little fuzzy, however, here's what I recall:

They had their own bottle of special mix for the "28 Days Later" and added about five rums, three of which I've never had before. So, I was having no luck parsing out the individual flavors. The drink had a nice smokiness, but wasn't as spicy as I usually like my zombies to be. Plus, they threw a huge handful of mint into the bucket mug, and while it smelled delightful it sank down into my glass and all I could taste was mint for the final stages of the zombification process. I'm glad I tried it, but I think I'll drill deeper into their cocktail menu next time I'm there.

J

"Twenty Eighth Day" actually (based on the Zombie movie of similar title, no doubt)...

Gosling’s 117.5, Don Q Añejo, reposado mezcal, Tuaca, Smith + Cross,
pineapple, fresh citrus, passionfruit, grenadine, bitters, Don’s Mix

Yup, Cana Rum Bar while not Tiki, did have a timeless older-school vibe (vs. too trendy) that should appeal to mid-century culture loving Tikiphiles. Good looking crowd as well. Place it in the same category as La Descarga.

Since we were short on Punch cards, I purchased a $20 membership for entry that night (it's technically a "private" club). It's good for up to 3 guests so I'd be up for a return TC excursion. I believe Boris is a member as well. Part-time Tikiphile (but full time cocktail snob :D) TikiGeeki rates it in this top 3 for Downtown LA mixology so that's enough endorsement for me to focus more drinking there.

Thanks for getting the low-down on that drink, John-O. The smokiness I tasted was the mezcal probably.

G

On 2011-06-23 20:48, JOHN-O wrote:
OK, Disney (or rather the post-1960's cultural impact of the Disney corporation) has never been my cup of tea.

To this historic dive bar loving Tikiphile, the concept of "Disneyfication" is horrifying...

**Dis-ney-fi-ca-tion (noun)

: the transformation (as of something real or unsettling) into carefully controlled and safe entertainment or an environment with similar qualities.**

Yes, I enjoyed Disneyland as a pre-teen but as I've grown older, the nostalgia of those childhood memories has grown less and less.

JOHN-O I completely understand the sentiment. But your opinion of Disney has been poisoned (as you said) by the mega-corporation that is Disney today. The Disney that really turned me on is not the one that turns every shop in its theme parks into plush toy retail outlets or puts out garbage TV on its flagship TV channel. The Disney that really got my attention was the Disney of the early days (cue the harp and the wavy video)... Walt Disney was an innovator and risk taker (something that the Disney corp is really not at all these days). His theme park was a huge financial risk and was totally a labor of love for him. There were no focus groups to decide what to build. It was what he envisioned as the perfect environment to immerse yourself in with your family. That was a lofty and worthy goal. His co-conspirators were, quite literally, geniuses. Names like Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, Ward Kimball (ah, Ward is my favorite!), Harper Goff, etc... Their attention to painstaking detail, authenticity and devotion to quality are so inspirational.

We've lost a lot of that today. Corporations like Disney focus on ROI and shareholder return. But that existed back then too. I'm not naive about that. The Mad Men society was not all rosey. But Disney today still has some geniuses behind it (okay, many are at Pixar). They may not go down in history with their names in books, but they are there.

My attraction to Disney is definitely rooted in their past glories, but some of those glories are still around and still awe me as amazingly inventive. And every now and then a new creation shows that same spark of genius that was found routinely in people like Ward Kimball.

So, hey, cut 'em a little slack. :)

I'm sure the Nine Old Men would have loved the Molokai Bar at the Mai-Kai.

And hey, about that nostalgia of your childhood memories growing less and less... remember that we all get older, but we are only as old as we act. We should experience the world from a child's eyes more often. So go ride a rollercoaster and giggle like a little girl, damnit.

B.T.W., there is a fan letter to Trader Vic from some of those classic Disney animators on the wall of the Captain's Dining Room at the Emeryville Trader Vic's!

Tee-hee-hee-heeeeee . . .

Just visited Trader Vic's Emeryville tonight and photographed this Disney animator tribute to Trader Vic!

It is in "The Office" room which you can reserve for a group dinner.

http://www.tradervics.com/locations/private-rooms.html#media

J

Over 50% of all U.S. Trader Vic's are in the golden state of California. It's true !!

But are all TVs here created equal? Do all the Mai Tais taste the same?

We'll see when the Zombie Road Trip takes a Mai Tai detour at 4 different TVs over 4 consecutive days. It's the...

Beverly Hills Lounge…

vs. Downtown L.A….

vs. Palo Alto…

vs. Emeryville...

J

I have two major Tiki regrets in life. The first is I didn't make an immediate Tiki pilgrimage to the Kahiki when I first read about it in the Book of Tiki. I blame the Bigbro for getting BOT published so late. ( :D )

The second is that I didn't frequent the original Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills beyond my sole visit there in the 1990's. From Santa Monica, it really wasn't that far. Now it's too late. (And for that I have no one to blame but myself. :()

Now I know that some Tikiphiles here took the closing of the restaurant personally. The way I see it, the closure of the original joint wasn't so much a slight against Tiki as it was the demise of "Old Hollywood". It's now in good company with other extinct dinosaurs like Chasen's, Perino's, and Scandia. That's life in L.A. I guess. (I am however prepared to lie in front of the bulldozers should my beloved Musso & Frank ever be threatened.)

We do however have the Trader Vic's Lounge to enjoy. :)

While some dismiss the place as not really being that Tiki, I see the Tiki mug as being half full. I can appreciate it for the following...

It's still housed at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, a place that carries its own mid-century historical street cred. The Beverly Hilton was Conrad Hilton's showcase hotel back in 1953 and has been the annual home for the Golden Globe awards since 1961. Although renovated, I can still get a sense of those Hollywood ghosts.

Also the lounge is located right at the pool and is surrounded by the original low-rise rooms. It's a pretty groovy environment to enjoy a Tropical cocktail on a warm summer night.

Also the Lounge contains some of the half-century old remnants from the original location.

One of those "remnants" even happens to be one of the bartenders. We're talking about an old-school Filipino Tiki bartender !! He'll mix you up one of the best Mai Tais you'll ever enjoy.

Well let me qualify that actually. One of the best Mai Tais you'll ever enjoy... at a Trader Vic's.

The biggest issue I have with TV in this New Cocktailian age is that the Trader Vic's brand well rum is not that good. The presentation of the cocktails is excellent but when you have that first sip, it's not going to change your life. What's merely a good Mai Tai (at best) should really be a great Mai Tai. And the Mai Tai at the BH Lounge ain't cheap. It was $14 !! Compare that cost to the one of the best classic Mai Tais I've had which was at Forbidden Island. FI's Mai Tai is only $9. Oh well, I guess that's the price of (brand) history.

So while the Beverly Hill Trader Vic's Lounge isn't a place I'd fly across the country to visit, it is a significant place to detour if you're in the immediate vicinity. And why not make it part of historic Beverly Hills twofer? It's less than a mile away from Nate N' Al's...

Have a corned beef on rye in a classic Jewish deli (since 1945) and then wash it down afterward with a Vic's Navy Grog inside a mid-century luxury hotel lounge. There's not many places where you can do that. :)

Keep it coming John-O!

On 2011-09-30 17:14, JOHN-O wrote:
I have two major Tiki regrets in life. The first is I didn't make an immediate Tiki pilgrimage to the Kahiki when I first read about it in the Book of Tiki. I blame the Bigbro for getting BOT published so late. ( :D )....

On that point, blame American publishers for not picking up the project for 8 years. After all, it took only a little over a year after getting the green light from Benedikt Taschen to have it come out. But still, not soon enough, as MY two major regrets are illuminated by this ironic tragedy:

When Otto planned his grand "Farewell Kahiki" event after the fate of the Kahiki had become evident, I held ONE printer's advance copy of the book in my hand, but the first batch was on its way from China. It arrived at the Taschen Cologne offices in time so that I could arrange to have 100 copies air-freighted to Columbus, Ohio, just barely on schedule for the event.

I was working on a B-movie in LA at the time, and as a D.P. I could not leave the set until Friday, flying to Columbus late Fri Eve. When I got to the Kahiki, neither Michael Tsao nor Otto knew of no book shipment. I frantically traced the shipment: Turned out it was held at Columbus customs - and they were closed on Saturdays! The books were in fact IN Columbus....but there was no way to get to them!

So my big book signing was canceled, and for the rest of the weekend I proceeded to get VERY drunk, only being able to show folks the copy I had in hand, mumbling " so this izz the book I have been talking about for yearz....

The other regret is that Ray Buhen had passed away before the book became a reality, after having heard tall tales of it at his bar counter for so many years.

THIS is the Tiki Central that I enjoy so much. Not the all too common bickering or the posturing to become 'important in the scene'... Good work! I love your trip/ research posts, John-O. And great story, Sven! Takes me back to when it was all new to most of us.

J

"When you're alone, and life is making you lonely, you can always go Downtown"

Downtown is the historic core of Los Angeles and one of my favorite places in all Southern California. Over the last several years, it's been really blowing up with a influx of bars, nightlife, restaurants, and foot traffic. These days you can see loft-dwelling expectant mothers walking their dogs late at night along streets that in the 1990's would have been considered dangerous.

One of the major anchors responsible for this has been Staples Center and the L.A. Live entertainment complex. They act like a giant streetlight making a once dark, scary, and deserted "parking lot" safe for the masses. Overall this is a good thing but it's not without its drawbacks.

You'd think L.A. Live would be the perfect place for a Trader Vic's, right? A central location to introduce the general public to Tiki culture? A place brimming with entertainment options to go with your Navy Grog? That was my first thought several years ago... these days I'm not so sure.

So what about the Downtown L.A. Trader Vic's? Well they did a great job in creating a physical space that does justice to the historic brand. My hats off to the owners for attempting to bring the spirit of Victor Jules Bergeron, Jr. into the 21st century.

Despite their "good fight" and my relative close proximity, I still find myself driving the 1 hour-plus rush hour traffic drive to get to places like Don the Beachcomber instead. What's up with that ??

Well for starters, despite the cool decor, the "vibe" at DTLA TV isn't as Tiki as I think it should (or could) be. Essentially L.A. Live is like a giant modern Sports Bar, the antithesis of what Tiki should represent. Rather than being a dark quiet exotic womb to escape the pre-planned consumer culture soullessness of L.A. Live, I fear Trader Vic's Tiki Mana is being diminished by it.

Also the crowds that you'll find in the DTLA TV are hit and miss. From my observation, it caters to a primarily transient drinking crowd. And by that I don't mean homeless people, but rather a clientele which for the most part aren't Trader Vic "regulars". It's a weird mix of downtown business people, Lakers fans, USC Fraternity Row, and tourists. Tikiphiles or those sympathetic to Poly-Pop, seem far and few between.

And it doesn't help matters they keep the place too darned bright for a Tiki establishment. And the music? Sorry the modern rock I usually hear on the sound system just spoils the mood. These things would be really easy to fix.

On the other hand, the food I've enjoyed there has always been good. And the Mai Tai? Well this last visit I requested my "1944" from scratch. The affable bartender smiled and replied "No problem, coming right up sir". :)

Downtown L.A. Trader Vic's...

You're close. You're just so very (Tiki) close.

John-O, I think you're right on all accounts with respect to the Downtown LA Trader Vic's. The music is off, bar is too bright, and the televisions are too many. But being a LA Kings fan and attendee of their home games in addition to being a tiki supporter, I thank my lucky stars for having a Trader Vic's within walking distance of Staples Center. 2 Mai Tais (especially the 1944 Mai Tai) before a game is a far superior option to "arena beer". I know Trader Vic's is making compromises in this environment, but I want to help them fight the good fight. Even when it means I drop in on a Saturday night and only my wife and I are dressed in aloha garb. :)

kevin

BK

OK, Buddy! The deli's on my list of places to hit on my next trip & both TVs. Got any other ideas? I fly out 4 weeks from today!

John O,

I have found both the TV's Lounge and Downtown suitable enough to stop by for a drink if in the area.
Not that I am blown away by them, but better than a flat out sports bar.
If I happen to be in that area, should I give ya a shout?

Jeff(btd)

Good post, John-O.

J

On to Northern Cal !!

Trader Vic's Palo Alto...

Not a classic Trader Vic's by any stretch, it's almost like they began work on a Silicon Valley Italian trattoria and halfway through they decided "Naw, let's go Tiki instead".

Despite the modern feel, the place is decorated with more PNG-style than you'll find in your typical Vic's. From what I understand a lot of the pieces are authentic, taken from a private collection.

Also there's a cozy neighborhood feel to the place that's a welcome change when compared to the "tourist" vibe of a Vic's like Downtown L.A.

OK, so it's not the Tiki palace of your dreams, but it is an establishment where you can get a decent Navy Grog... and in freakin' Palo Alto of all places, the land of high technology and ivory tower academics !!

Also think of it as a remote outpost of Tiki to visit when rush hour traffic from the South makes a drive to Forbidden Island impractical. And there's a cool mid-century hotel just across the way.

So how was the Mai Tai ? I'll be honest. Out off all the Vic's Mai Tais that I sampled, it was probably the least balanced, a little too much on the sweet side. It was however only $6 during Happy Hour... and in freakin' Palo Alto. :)

Next, saving the best for last...

J

Let me close the Mai Tai loop on this. On to Emeryville !!…

So what took so long? Here are my excuses:

1. Based on pictures I've seen of the interior, I never felt compelled to visit. Photos always seemed to portray Emeryville TV as more yacht club style than Tiki. And those large windows allowing natural light to flood into the place, they were an affront to my vampiric Tiki nature.

2. Also I never really considered the place as original Tiki-era. Having opened in 1971, it was in this weird Tiki grey area, dating more towards the Nixon Watergate era than the JFK Camelot days.

3. And last but not least, Forbidden Island always got in my way. Ha, ha.

But what a mistake it was to procrastinate so long !! Emeryville TV is GREAT.

If every Tiki bar possesses a unique quality, to me this is the Tiki bar on the edge of the abyss. Driving down Powell St through Emeryville's Marina corridor, it's dark, really really dark. Drive too far and you'll wind up in the San Francisco Bay. Emeryville TV feels like Tiki's last stop before entering into purgatory.

Emeryville itself has a pretty interesting history. It used to have the reputation as "the rottenest city on the Pacific Coast", teeming with speakeasies, racetracks, and brothels during the Great Depression days.

Driving up to the entrance, you're greeted by an old-school porte-cochere…

The restaurant itself is made up of many different rooms, almost a labyrinth of Tikiness in the tradition of places like the Mai Kai and Hala Kahiki, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale.

And the hesitation I had about the large windows? Well at night they were more like portals into the dark void of the SF Bay rather than an indication that the 21st-century lay just outside. I don't think I would ever visit this place during the daylight hours (is it even open then?)

You know I used to think that Tiki restaurants (vs. just bars) were a post mid-century anachronism, the whole faux Polynesian food concept being lost on contemporary diners. To my surprise however this place was packed !! In the dining area you had people dressed for the occasion and in the bar area a younger crowd enjoying cocktails and appetizers like this was the latest "hip" spot.

And I know the Tropicals were popular as I was seated at the bar and witnessed first hand the high-speed mixology. The bartender was a Mai Tai making machine as I saw one "1944" after another being made with the speed of an assembly line. You'd think the quality would suffer as as result, but honestly this was the best balanced Mai Tai of the 4 TV's I visited.

There's also a feeling of historic Tiki lore and mythology throughout the place. Homages like this to the original Hinky Dinks…

And talking with bartender, there's fascinating historical stories behind many of the items of decor. Just ask about the large sea turtle inscribed with names or the chair hanging off the ceiling. Interesting these stories haven't been documented on TC before. (Next time, I must take notes).

If Trader Vic's spirit is still alive and well in the 21st Century (and in CA), I think it must live here. :)

Glad you finally made it John O,
I've been twice, and do want to get back some day.

Jeff(btd)

John-O bringing the content!

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2012 9:33 PM

A while back someone commented to me in a Tiki bar discussion…

"You know I really like the Tiki scene, but I wish it was just a little bit more (racially) diverse."

I had to think about that for a while but then realized... "Hey you're right !!".

I later found myself in this (undocumented until now on TC) Tiki bar in San Francisco's Sunset district.

(Forgive the poached photos, I forgot take pictures).

Lot's of diversity here (Asians > WASPS) but the Zombie left a lot to be desired.

Lesson learned: The best type of "diversity" is the one enjoyed though the alcoholic fog of well crafted cocktails. :)

"Cab driver, take me to Smuggler's Cove."

On 2012-01-04 21:33, JOHN-O wrote:

Lot's of diversity here (Asians > WASPS) but the Zombie left a lot to be desired.

Lesson learned: The best type of "diversity" is the one enjoyed though the alcoholic fog of well crafted cocktails. :)

"Cab driver, take me to Smuggler's Cove."

I agree totally. We've discussed this before via email, but my final thoughts ... as of now... are that the tiki scene is made up of what it is. And that is probably okay. I have a few latino friends who are attracted to tiki, but to be honest, even after years of lurking here they still seem confused.

Not to derail this thread, but I don't you think tiki might really be a fantasy most congruent with white-european culture? That's not to state that people of other cultures won't find tiki culture attractive, the dream of a "Bali Hai" seem to fit well with what many white Americans or Europeans of the last century hoped to find as an escape to their own need to be an "island".

None of what I wrote means anything and should not be taken as a diatribe. Thus, I agree, the best type of diversity is the one enjoyed through the alcoholic fog of well crafted cocktails.

Of course, little lost tiki might disagree per the current bilge discussions.

If you want to see diversity, check out The Mai-Kai on any random night when there's no organized Tiki event going on. Sure, it's a tourist attraction, and that accounts for a lot of customers. But the local crowd also crosses many ethnic boundaries. They may not be total geeks about it like us, but many different cultures really love the place.

Mahalo from the melting pot that is South Florida.

On 2012-01-23 09:57, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
If you want to see diversity, check out The Mai-Kai on any random night when there's no organized Tiki event going on. Sure, it's a tourist attraction, and that accounts for a lot of customers. But the local crowd also crosses many ethnic boundaries. They may not be total geeks about it like us, but many different cultures really love the place.

Mahalo from the melting pot that is South Florida.

But they all have one thing in common
they all carry guns!

J

On 2012-01-23 09:57, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
If you want to see diversity, check out The Mai-Kai on any random night when there's no organized Tiki event going on...

Actually I experienced that first hand when I was hanging out at the Mai Kai's Molokai bar, Friday night during Hukilau 2011 (while most of the Tiki peeps were off-site at the Bahia Mar events). It was a diverse crowd for sure, probably the most African Americans and Latinos I've ever encountered in a Tiki bar. And they were obviously locals, everyone was dressed too well for them to be tourists. The anticipation and excitement of everyone waiting to be seated was infectious. :)

And then I returned back to the Bahia Mar where it was 99.99% white folks (not that there's anything wrong with that). :D

Kern Mattei, The Mai-Kai's GM, recently told me that among his favorite VIPs who are regulars at the restaurant are Don King and The Rock, who both live nearby.

Now, those are guys I wanna party with.

J

:drink:

J

:drink: :drink:

J

The Hong Kong Inn in Ventura...

This place is a 1960's "chop suey" time warp complete with Polynesian floor show and full Tropical cocktail menu. Now while Martin Cate has nothing to worry about with their version of the Zombie, the HKI does have one particular advantage over Smuggler's Cove. In the on-going circular argument of defining Tiki concepts like Tiki Art and Tiki Music, on this matter there can be no argument.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is Tiki Food...

(image courtesy of ATP)

:D

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2012 1:02 AM

Ok, so for the third attempt in the last several years I try to order a Zombie at Lakanuki (Mammoth Lakes like all ski towns is a sausage fest). I get the same reply as the first two times...

"What's a Zombie ??" :D (FYI, that's a Mai Tai above. They do have that on the menu.)

Oh well, at least this has to be the highest elevation (at 8100 feet) Tiki bar ever in existence. Here's me and heylownine with a Tiki that towers over all...

And they do have the requisite "Book of Tiki" collage in the restroom.

And check out this mural below, it's a Tiki in leiderhosen !!...

German culture and Tiki, who would have thunk ?? :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-07-18 11:40 ]

On 2012-04-02 01:02, JOHN-O wrote:
And check out this mural, it's a Tiki in leiderhosen !!...

German culture and Tiki, who would have thunk ?? :)

Sven for one! :drink: & Sabu also :drink:

On 2012-04-02 01:02, JOHN-O wrote:
Ok, so for the third attempt in the last several years I try to order a Zombie at Lakanuki (Mammoth Lakes like all ski towns is a sausage fest). I get the same reply as the first two times...

"What's a Zombie ??" :D

I can vouch for that...John-O is out there fighting the good (zombie) fight!

kevin

J

The craft cocktail boom has exploded to such an extent that these days some of the best Tropical drinks can be found outside of the Tiki bar. La Descarga, located in East Hollywood, is one such place. Recently they've started a weekly Tiki night to focus on our favorite libations. See here for more pics.

La Descarga is a beautiful and stylish place, paying homage to the Havana nightclubs that flourished before Castro. This is a great place to dress up in your best cocktail attire, leaving the shorts and flip-flops at home.

They actually had two Zombies on the menu, a Zombie Punch and a Haitian Zombie. The Zombie Punch was an excellent 1934 Don's version, although I wish they served it in a proper Collins glass rather than a Hurricane glass. The Haitian Zombie was a little too coconutty for me but I should have expected that given it's served in a real coconut.

What I was really surprised to see was a version of the Mai Kai's famous Black Magic drink, which next time I'll certainly have to try.

So if you want to experience "Tiki in Cuba", this is the most legal and inexpensive way to do that, short of traveling to the former Trader Vic's in Havana (which I understand is still a Tiki bar).

And on a side note, here's me in the Tiki bar at Graceland. Unfortunately the bartender wasn't mixing Zombies at the time. But as you can see, the spirit of Elvis did inhabit my body, I'm very popular at Karaoke nights now. :)

John O, You are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 404 replies