Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Halloween art show at the Tonga Hut October 31--4pm to ?

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2010 10:38 AM

Pre-Halloween madness tonight at the Tonga Hut as a warm up to the Halloween craziness coming up at the end of the month.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 11:16 AM

Alright you artists, you've got 25 days to finish up your crap for the art show, and vendors you got 25 days to finish/gather up your crap to sell. We can probably fit a few more vendors in if people are interested in vending. Vending starts at 4pm at the Tonga Hut. Everybody else has 25 days to get your Halloween costume ready.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 11:25 AM

Artists, PM or email GROG and tell GROG what you're bringing for the art show and how big it is so we can figure how much wall space and shelving we'll need.
Make up a small tag for your art with the title of the piece, medium, artist's name, and asking price if it's for sale. The art will be up for three weeks, unless it sells or you want take it home that night.

P.S. Be sure and download the flier and post it on your Facebook, Myspace, Blog, Website, etc. GROG got GROG own work to do, GROG can't do EVERYTHING for you!(Especially since GROG not get any comission!)

GROG
GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-05 11:56 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 11:22 PM

BUMP

(Wow, these things get buried quickly.)

Artists: PM or email GROG with your info. (See post above) :up:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 13, 2010 11:43 AM

Lots of events happening in October, so don't forget to come to this one. If you come early in the day (vending starts at 4pm), you'll still have time to take the kids trick or treating.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 13, 2010 11:47 AM

Don't forget your costume. :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 10:33 AM

Tom "Thor" Thardarson posted a thread with pics of some neat smaller, more affordable shrunken heads he'll have at the art show. GROG looking forward to seeing these little guys in person. Click this link to check 'em out. :down:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38129&forum=18&4

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-19 10:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 4:51 PM

Squid posted these guys on his gallery thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38141&forum=21&6

Picture of one of the mugs in action:

He'll have some available at the Tonga Hut for the Halloween art show.
More good stuff.

GROG post GROG crap for the art show when GROG get it started.(GROG been trying to fill orders since Oasis). Running out of time.

Any other artists got stuff to preview, post away. (And don't forget to advertise on your Facebook, Myspace, Blog, Website,etc. you bastards!)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

(It's amazing how a guy with very little in the way of brains is able to carve brains so well. :P

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-19 18:32 ]

T

Okay, Grog. Here's a sneak peek at my Halloween piece...

And if there's enough Tonga Hut wall space, here's a wee gander at another...

Hope to see all you Trick or Treaters at the show!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 10:39 AM

Thanks for the tease, Tobor. Looking forward to seeing the WHOLE thing at Halloween.

Don't forget to wear your costume. As a little inspiration, here some of GROG costumes from previous Halloween parties:

Evil clown:

Mr.Clean:

Some sort of scary monster thingy (GROG was working late and to just throw something together at last minute)

Prostitute (GROG' date was pimp)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-05 12:55 ]

GT

Wow! Some cool art for sure, Here is some stuff we have been working on, A flicker light "Skull Bowl","Skullcano" candle holder, "Bathing In Death" bowl, And I'm working on another two items, A "Frankenstein" mug Its a Fraken-Stein! and another item as well, We are going to have two items in the art show, So We will pick which ever turns out the best! We will have 10 limited skull mugs for $15.00 each for the vending area, Post pictures soon, Amongst a bunch of non-Halloween, Tiki items, In the vending area, Come join us and all the other Great artist for some fun on Halloween, Cheers! Gogo and Dani

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 7:46 PM

Looking forward to seeing your stuff, Gogo.

that's Awesome!

How did you get the Moobs??

T

Eeeeeee! I...can't...unsee the secret lives of Grog!

Although you with the naked chick is pretty cool.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 10:07 PM

Homegrown moobs B-Ben. GROG' date was a professional makeup artist, and she make GROG look beautiful.

Tobor, those were at Rough Draft Halloween parties, so talk to your bosses. There was much more demented stuff there than GROG' costumes.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 23, 2010 12:31 PM

Tobor, the theme for this Rough Draft Studios Halloween party was military. So, this is Navy GROG. :D

(GROG look pretty young without beard!)

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-23 12:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 23, 2010 12:35 PM

Coming down to the wire. Next Sunday is the day, so artists, get your stuff done. It'll be here before you know it.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 23, 2010 12:48 PM

And to continue with stealing art being done for the Halloween art show off of other people's threads----- here's Jason's pencil drawing for the velvet painting he's working on. :D

On 2010-10-20 18:03, Iokona Ki'i wrote:
Here is a rough sketch for a piece I am doing for the Halloween Art Show at the Tonga Hut.
Needs tweaks to read better. Tentatively titled "Werewolf of NoHo". Will be a velvet too. :)

Aloha!

Velvets by J. Sallin

here are some crappy blurry sneak peak pics of progress on the two pieces i will have in the show. The first is a Zombie cocktail themed cork painting,

the second is a surf themed sculptural wall hanging.

Aside from that will have some "THIRSTY" mugs and maybe some other odds and ends at my vending table. Look forward to seeing folks in spooky costumes.....

I'm really looking forward to this show and WOW! it's coming up fast!! :o

Will there be Speedy Pre-Mixed drinks?

On 2010-10-24 21:17, Bora Boris wrote:
I'm really looking forward to this show and WOW! it's coming up fast!! :o

Will there be Speedy Pre-Mixed drinks?

You bet, I've learned plenty a lesson :) Keepin' it movin' '34 Zombie's & more!

On 2010-10-25 02:29, Hiphipahula wrote:

You bet, I've learned plenty a lesson :) Keepin' it movin' '34 Zombie's & more!

J

Boris if you want a fast drink, just recite the following magic words. It's probably uttered several thousand times nightly across the USA for those in need of instant alcoholic gratification.

"I'll just have a Bud Light".

:D

Dear John-O,

(Or since you're such a Tonga Hut Fan Boy I'm changing your name to Tong-O)

Dear Tong-O,

if I'm in a Tiki Bar I'm ordering a Tiki drink, that's all there is to it. Also when the Tonga Hut is slammed even a Bud Light can take 20 minutes but the problem has been solved - if you go back and read Kelly's response above. So no need to chime in after the fact, we're moving forward.

CJ

I would love to come but I'm scared shitless driving on a holiday.

On 2010-10-25 20:14, Coco Joe wrote:
I would love to come but I'm scared shitless driving on a holiday.

It starts at 4:00, just be on your way home by 6:00. I'll remind you. (~~)

TT

On 2010-10-23 12:31, GROG wrote:
Tobor, the theme for this Rough Draft Studios Halloween party was military. So, this is Navy GROG. :D

(GROG look pretty young without beard!)

Looks more like Mr. Awesome from "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters." :D

T

On 2010-10-20 22:07, GROG wrote:
Tobor, those were at Rough Draft Halloween parties...

Ah, yes. The halls of the studio still to this day reverberate with the faint erotic wailings of that particular Halloween bash. I only got to sample one of the RDS parties & that one was more like a Church Ice Cream Social compared to the ones you went to.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 26, 2010 12:41 PM

GROG preview of what GROG have in art show. (This is the back side. It's based on idea Kirby tell GROG to make) GROG waiting for underglaze to arrive by UPS so GROG can color it and fire it. Then GROG have to clear glaze it and fire it again. That is, if it survives the first firing. It's had a crack in the bottom that GROG has had to repair a couple of times as it's drying. So hopefully the repair will hold and not crack even more in the bisque firing. Or if it does crack, hopefully it's small enough the glaze will fill it in.

On the "Light-er" side of topic,the Tonga Hut doesn't carry Bud Light... in fact we carry NO Anheuser-Busch products at all which means you may wait a very long time for one :)

The fact remains, the Tonga Hut is working diligently on making the Tonga Hut the best Tiki establishment anywhere and will contunue to for another 52 years. The Tonga Hut in fact celebrates her 52nd Anniversary as the Original Tonga Hut this month.

It is in fact, the oldest thriving Tiki Bar in not only L.A. but also in So.Ca. The Tonga Hut was never a bar and restaurant or a Hunting Lodge decor bar with a "tiki patio" added on in later years just a mid-century modern type "Tiki Bar" only to "Trader Sam's" in San Francisco is it younger than.(per Critiki) FACT.

Fact, the Tonga Hut has only had three(3) owners. In fact, two(2) brothers, Ace & his brother opened it and ran it as the Tonga Hut never any other name. Fact, "Tiki Drinks" were on the menu such as the original house drink the "Tonga Punch" fact, this cocktail is still remains on the menu today.

Fact, the Tonga Hut is still here at it's original location,
12808 Victory Bl. No. Hollywood Ca.
Open 7 days a week 4pm-2am with Happy Hour from 4-8pm

HipHipaHulA's "Tonga Time" Friday & Saturday 4:30-6:00pm extra $$savings on Tiki cocktails. Happy Hour continuing until 8pm.
Sunday, "Exotica Sunday" 4-8PM with HipHiPaHulA PLUS DJ Marty Lush of Tikiyaki Orch. fame & fortune!

Join us please, we are always ready to take you on you Zombies for Best Damn Halloween party EVER!

P.S. Don't go bashin' Trader Sams either, their neighborhood endears it, it's a survivor and I would like to see it remain. We hope to see better and brighter tiki days ahead for Trader Sam's ... Don't give up on it, there is hope, we have proved it. :)
:)
Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.91606

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-10-26 14:45 ]

J

Holy Smokes GROG !!

Are you still training ??

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 28, 2010 11:46 AM

Artists: Jeremy said there's no room to store anything before the show, so bring your artwork to the Tonga Hut between 11am and 3pm on Sunday Oct. 31 to put up the art show. For each piece of art, make a card that has the Title, Medium, artist's name, and price. Vendors need to be set up by 4pm.

I'll be spinning some killer tracks during the show. And I promise to shower before hand.

Wow GROG sure has run the full spectrum of costumes!

Great sneak peeks at the art folks!
GROG -- Hope your pieces survive the fire!
Stephen -- the eye candy is killer, look forward to seeing the rest soon!
OceaOtica -- cork zombie is awesome!

Here is a (in progress) sneak peek of Werewolf of NoHo.
Thanks for the heads up Ernie!
Now I can keep working on it til Sunday :)
More to come....

sorry for bailing out but i got all busy with install work,

It'll be a great show wit out me!!

lol..

M
mp posted on Thu, Oct 28, 2010 10:58 PM

Aloha Everyone, Here's a peek at my offering
for the show. My inspiration..... my gazillionth
viewing of Treasure Island and a hot buttered rum
a few weeks back. I am super bummed I wont be able to make
it. I hope everyone has a super time and good luck to all
of you artist's. I know this show is going to look amazing!
And thank you Ernie for having me in the show!

"Keep to the code"

Oh, that is cool!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 29, 2010 12:28 PM

Sorry you can't make it "Boo"Ben.

Wow, everybody's art is looking really neat. GROG looking forward to seeing the all the art. GROG think this is going to be a really fun show.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 29, 2010 1:00 PM

"?"-O-Lantern made it through the bisque fire without blowing up or cracking to pieces, so now GROG glazing this bastard and then another firing.

(The light blue is clear glaze. When it's fired, it becomes clear and glassy.)

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-29 13:03 ]

Not really a Halloween piece so much but it'll have to do.
Painted this for Polynesiac... because he rules.

"Thar' Be The Ruby" acrylic on masonite

Hope you like.

M

Bummer, Ben, I was planning on bugging you about that mug shelf you promised me! (~~)

GT

Here is a picture of our flicker light " Skull Bowl " finished, It turned out pretty cool,

more pics here --> http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24254&forum=18&start=525&528

GoGo! Wow! You've set the bar pretty high! Great work! You can just drop that bowl off at my place on your way to the Tonga Hut!

"Marriage, Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2010-10-29 17:54 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 29, 2010 8:37 PM

Man, we're going to have some killer pieces at the show!

L

Grog good luck w the pumpkin! Gogo awesome bowl!

Wow! a Crapload of great lookin pieces here!
Gonna be a great show!
Jason-get that werewoof finished!
Empee's piece is PERFECT!
Have fun kids and hope to see y'alls soon!

T

Looks like it's going to be a frighteningly good show!! I pumped out nine black velvets...all skulls and shrunken heads to add spice to the darkness of the Tonga air. Also bringing a nice quantity of the new limited "afordable" shrunken heads...as seen on TC.

See yah there!! ~~THOR

K

Although it was a low turnout, I had a great time,, The art was really awesome.And if you didnt have a chance to stop by on Halloween,The art is still hanging and alot of it is still available to purchase You should defiantly go check it out!!
Speaking of art available The pieces i did for the show are still for sale,and will be ready to ship to you as soon as the show is taken down in a few weeks..Pm me is your interested
"skully brains cocktail! on scrap wood $80 plus shipping

"fire on the water" (named by Jeremy, owner of the tonga hut)$250 framed plus shipping

mahalo Kirby

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-10-30 11:38 ]

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-11-04 16:43 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies