Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Halloween art show at the Tonga Hut October 31--4pm to ?

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 30, 2010 2:38 PM

That Tiki painting turned out nice, Kirbs.

GROG has stuff firing in the kiln right now. Fingers crossed it all turns out OK, especially the hand-made ?-O-Lantern.

GT

I hope Grog's Jack-O-Lantern turns out too, Looks great so far, Here is our last art item for the art show, " Bathing in Death " bowl, This seductive witch loves to bath in her witches couldron, I think it turned out pretty cool!

We will have some cool tiki items too, Plus 10 limied " Skull " mugs and 2 limited " Franken-Stein " mugs for just $15 bucks each!

Thanks Grog and Tonga Hut for the invite, Gogo and Dani

more pics. Here -->
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24254&forum=18&start=525&532

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2010-10-30 15:15 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 30, 2010 3:38 PM

Excellent!!

T

Hey fellow Tiki Creepi's...here's a sneak of three of the nine velvets I had fun with for Tonga on Halloween.....more will be at the show...I will be inside with a hand full of these but see Max in the lot for my prints and more at "Taboo Island".

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1900/4cccfaa7.jpg)

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1900/4cccfa78.jpg)

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1900/4cccfa4c.jpg)

[ Edited by: THOR's  2010-10-30 22:13 ]

all the work is looking great! My father is in the hospital so i am now near Loma Linda and will have to back out of the show. Hope everyone has a blast and hopefully see you all at the next one.

Very cool work by all! And Thor, that first one reminds me of the creature from Trilogy Of Terror which haunted my youth for many days after first seeing it!

T

HAAA Yah.. That one IS...a Halloween tribute on velvet to the Zuni Fetish Doll from "Trilogy of Terror"..it has lil'jewel eyes that reflect light and really comes to life... See you tonight.

TRILOGY OF TERROR!
CLASSIC!
Nice One Thor!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 31, 2010 9:42 AM

Nice stuff Tom.

Sorry you couldn't make it to the show Cass. GROG hope your father will be OK.

Looks like the "BOB"-O-Lantern survived. GROG worried about some of the orange underglaze. Some of it flaked off in the bisque firing, but GROG touched it up and it seems to be on in the glaze firing. GROG would like to hit it with another layer of clear and fire again, but GROG still bringing it to the art show. The problem was it still had too much moisture before the bisque fire. Didn't have time for it to dry out enough before the first fire.

[ Edited by: grog 2010-10-31 10:32 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 31, 2010 9:46 AM

Gotta go pack up everything. See ya'll at the show.

K

On 2010-10-31 09:42, GROG wrote:

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-31 09:44 ]

Great job! Grog
Tom I gotta get one of those velvets!!

Great stuff!

Off to the hut!

My offering...

Werewolf of NoHo!

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Oct 31, 2010 5:49 PM

Just want to throw my two bits into the mix and say great work to all involved...

The art being offered up is fantastic and really ups the ante for me - I'm really diggin on all of it.

Can't make the scene tonight so I'm there in spirit. Happy Halloween, Tiki Peeps. G

Great show tonight, lotsa great stuff, great people, great drinks and they were flowing!

Thanks GROG, Kelly and Jeremy!! (~~)

HT

The Art Show at Tonga Hut on Halloween was the kick off to the Holiday Season. Great music, drinks , and especially to the artist that were there and the quality of all the art work. Best thing was seeing old friends and talking to everyone.

MR

Bummed I missed it. Just wanted to thank Dave's Not Home and Squid for getting Sleestak's and my art up there. Very cool of you both.

Amazing art and awesome people!!!

The Trilogy of Terror is one of my favorites!!! Awesome Velvets....WOW!

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2010 10:13 AM

On 2010-11-01 08:36, Matt Reese wrote:
Bummed I missed it. Just wanted to thank Dave's Not Home and Squid for getting Sleestak's and my art up there. Very cool of you both.

Invoice is in the mail :D

L

Oh love Manuel's Bali Hai costume and Jason/Grog your work looked awesome.

Hope there are more pics floating around..i really wanted to come down for this.

Was Marty dressed as a Lush? Um..not much of a stretch there fella!

Great looking art from everyone! GROG, nice looking Punkin Bob (I've been having problems with underglaze flaking off too!)

This on the left is the scariest costume I've EVER seen! :o (far right isn't much better but the one in the middle is beautiful :) )

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2010 8:11 PM

Yep, Danni looked great in her costume.

Claudette was cute in her sexy cop outfit and she danced all night. GROG not sure where she gets the energy.She should dress as the Energizer Bunny.

Thanks to all the artists for knocking out some killer art for the Halloween art show. It'll be hanging in the Tonga Hut for 3 more weeks, so if you didn't have a chance to see it last night, swing by the Tonga Hut for some drinks and take agander at the art. It's all for sale, too.(Except for Matt Reese's piece, which is for Polynesiac.)

Thanks for the vendors for participating. And thanks to Jeremy for hostiong the art show at the Tonga Hut, Kelly (hiphipahula) for the delicious drinks, Marty Lush for the fun music, and the rest of the Tonga Hut staff who made it such a fun night. And special thanks to everybody that came out and enjoyed the art, the drinks, and the friends (and the big pizzas). Here's some of the art hanging on the walls.

Start off with some ceramics by SQUID.

The radio tubes sticking out of the brains light up,
they got washed out by the flash.

And ceramics by Gogo and Danni.

Some black velvets and some little shrunken heads by Thor.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-01 20:13 ]

I think the Tiki-No should buy Stephen Sandoval's painting on the right. :)

T

On 2010-11-01 20:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think the Tiki-No should buy Stephen Sandoval's painting on the right. :)

Yes, I agree!

For a somewhat clearer look at it and my other paintings, please check out the link below:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38344&forum=21&start=last&0

Thanks to Grog, Jeremy, Kelly, Marty and everyone who came out to the show and shared our cauldron of eyeball candy. We had a blast! Best. Halloween. Ever.

TT

On 2010-10-31 17:29, Iokona Ki'i wrote:

Werewolf of NoHo!

The next Tonga Hut mug might have to be the "Severed Jeremy Head"

:lol:

With a special concoction by Kelly to go along with it!

TT

Here's some outdoor vending action...

Bali Hai and The Islander welcome you to Tonga Hut

S

thanks for including me sir GROG!! stuff looks great!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 11:40 AM

It was a pretty small turnout compared to previous Tonga Hut art shows. Maybe people were out at other Halloween parties or out trick or treating. October was a REALLY busy month for tiki events, funerals, parties, etc. GROG was inspired by Tikis and Terrors years ago to do this art show. Probably won't do it again next year, but if we do, it'll be BEFORE Halloween.

Swing by and see the art still up at the Tonga Hut if you haven't had a chance to see it yet.

We had a great time!

Great job putting it together Ernie!

TT

The newest member to the Loyal Order Of The Drooling Bastard, Marty Lush finishes the Grog Log with the "ZOMBIE"!!! Quite fitting for Halloween.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 4:45 PM

Although it was a low turnout, I had a great time,, The art was really awesome.And if you didnt have a chance to stop by on Halloween,The art is still hanging and alot of it is still available to purchase You should defiantly go check it out!!

Speaking of art available
The pieces i did for the show are still for sale,and will be ready to ship to you as soon as the show is taken down in a few weeks..Pm me is your interested
"skully brains cocktail! on scrap wood $50 plus shipping

"fire on the water" (named by Jeremy, owner of the tonga hut)SOLD Thanks!

mahalo Kirby

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-11-04 19:52 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 7:55 PM

The big piece is now sold so thanks peeps..

But this one is still available and is $50

TT

More photos from Halloween...

Kirby & Audrey

Thor & Audrey

Patricia and David wore these costumes for 10 days straight.

Thor tells Kirby how to shrink heads, and other parts of the human anatomy.

DJs in cahoots

Pizza guy

Mr. & Mrs. Tobor64 & Squid

"Which way to Jumbo's Clown Room?"

Naomi and the Fluff Police

Mr. Hollywood (LOotDB), Eric October, and RoseRed

"Okay, those teeth are starting to scare me."

Adrian is dressed up as Squid's Rotten Ralph "Electric Zombie" (notice bulb and straw) and Jim's wearing a tiny sombrero for his costume.

TT

Even more photos from Halloween...

I love this picture!! :down:

TT

Thank you Boris!

K
kirby posted on Sun, Nov 7, 2010 6:30 PM

SOLD THANKS!!

TT

Congrats Kirby!

TT

Here the last of my photos from Halloween...

Tom, thanks for all the great photo memories!

Two funny guys:

One lucky guy!:

On 2010-11-04 19:55, kirby wrote:
The big piece is now sold so thanks peeps..

But this one is still available and is $50

it's now sold. :)

Tom the captions on page 9 had me laughing Like mad! :)

T

Oh yeah, since I barely finished my piece for the show in time to hang it on the wall at the Hut, here it is in all its belated-posting glory:

"I'll Drink to That", 11x17, acrylic on paper. $200.00

It's a crazy collision of two of my obsessions: Tiki and Day of the Dead!

Awesome show, by the way, with some really great pieces! Stop by and check it out while you can!

Cool,
Dead Man's Tiki Party.

:wink:
Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 15, 2010 6:48 PM

A number of you artists that were in the Halloween art show are also going to participate in Kirby's Gilligan's Island art show on November 21st. When you bring your art for the Gilligan's Island show, you can pick up your pieces from the Halloween show.

If you didn't sell your piece or pieces at the Tonga Hut, then you are welcome to post pics of the art on this thread with the price and the art show can continue on-line.

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies