Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Has anyone use Falernum to make Margaritas?

Pages: 1 18 replies

That's the question. Has anyone done it?

why would you want to? Tequila, Cointreau (triple sec) and fresh lime juice
Falernum would just not mix well with these.

J

I really can't see falernum & tequila playing nicely w. each other. (In fact, I can't think of a single cocktail featuring these.)

Hmm..... Tequila and Falernum.....

Not sure the clove components of the Falernum would cooperate with the Tequila.

I think a lighter Falernum like Taylor's could be made to work with the right Tequila. Something in the silver family and on the lighter side overall, something like Hornitos(sp?) maybe?

It sounds like a lot of work to get the balance right, and not sure it would be good for much beyond the experimental value of the attempt.

I do have a couple of different Falernum's and Tequilas under the bar so I'm willing to try.

Anyone care to join on this experiment? Report back your findings if you do.

A

Are you thinking of falernum with alcohol like John Taylor's or the syrup like Fee Bros? Hmmmm... Either way, I think I'd use agave syrup instead.

I use agave syrup. No doubt, it's wonderful stuff. I even use if instead of simple syrup on many drinks and get fantastic results.

My thought here is to spice up the margarita, just a tad and get some more use out of my falernum. I use Taylors at this time.

Having made margarita's for year - I have a key lime tree in the yard, I am interested in taking it in a new direction.

How do you think it might play with Sombra or Mescal?

On 2010-09-27 11:42, telescopes wrote:
How do you think it might play with Sombra or Mescal?

Not familiar enough with the Sombra to venture a guess.

Mescal I think would be bad with Falernum, but am willing to try because there are quite a few drinks that look like they shouldn't work upon reading but wind up quite yummy in the glass.

Just plain wrong! agave syrup will make an "Agave Margarita",you can add fruit flavors,like Blood Orange,Melon etc
stick with the rum!

On 2010-09-27 12:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Just plain wrong! agave syrup will make an "Agave Margarita",you can add fruit flavors,like Blood Orange,Melon etc
stick with the rum!

I have to disagree. The agave sweetener I use has a very neutral taste and it smooths out as well as brings out some of the notes of the citric flavors found in lime or lemon - often in ways that sugar syrup simple can't.

On 2010-09-27 13:03, telescopes wrote:

On 2010-09-27 12:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
stick with the rum!

I have to disagree. The agave sweetener I use has a very neutral taste and it smooths out as well as brings out some of the notes of the citric flavors found in lime or lemon - often in ways that sugar syrup simple can't.

what I was saying is Falernum in Plain Wrong! for Margaritas, I was recommending the Agave Syrup instead.

My goal is to build a truly "Tiki Rita!"

Its called a Mai Tai!

Initial testing did not go well. Best option of three was to use a dash of Falernum, but the aroma of the Falernum and Tequila was a bit odd.... not bad, just hard to describe.

My suspicion is that one of two things will happen.... first you will wind up having to add another ingredient or two to find a balance in the drink. Or second you will wind up with such a tiny amount of Falernum as to wonder why bother.

I am not discouraging further research, I am suggesting that the resulting cocktail will be far enough away from the original Margarita concept to not be a Margarita any longer.

I think if research continues, a new drink name should be included to the work list.

Just my opinion, your mileage will vary.

On 2010-09-27 16:57, telescopes wrote:
My goal is to build a truly "Tiki Rita!"

:music: Wastin' away again in Tiki-Rita-ville... :music: :lol:

On 2010-09-28 08:04, Chip and Andy wrote:
Initial testing did not go well. Best option of three was to use a dash of Falernum, but the aroma of the Falernum and Tequila was a bit odd.... not bad, just hard to describe.

My suspicion is that one of two things will happen.... first you will wind up having to add another ingredient or two to find a balance in the drink. Or second you will wind up with such a tiny amount of Falernum as to wonder why bother.

I am not discouraging further research, I am suggesting that the resulting cocktail will be far enough away from the original Margarita concept to not be a Margarita any longer.

I think if research continues, a new drink name should be included to the work list.

Just my opinion, your mileage will vary.

Chip and Andy:

Thank you for taking the time to look into this matter. I truly appreciate it. I feel that just as the Mai Tai is a quasi zenith of rum, margaritas are likewise for tequila.

I am always on the lookout for new recipe uses for falernum. I hate to have an ingredient that is hard to get that then has limited uses.

And thanks to everyone else that looked into this for me.

For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die

J

That all being said, I think one of the main points about falernum is that even in near-microscopic quantities, it has an impact. So I will slightly take issue w. the very estimable Chip on this very narrow point. By my count, however, falernum is present in +/- 40 tiki cocktails. It seems to have been one of those go-to, everpresent ingredients for Don the Beachcomber the way orgeat was for Trader Vic.

Just a thought.

Do the math.....Falernum + Tequlia = BAD

example: Orange Juice + Milk = BAD, Strawberrys + Hamburger = BAD, Cheese + Lucky Charms = BAD
Somethings just do not mix, it is a crime against Nature and Nature can be a Bitch! don't mess with her!

Enjoy your Margaritas with lot's of fruit combos, keep the Falernum in a proper Tiki drink.
The Universe will be in balance and your drink will taste good.

I have said my piece and will go away now.....

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2017 10:36 AM

Awhile ago, while making Robert Hess’ recipe for margaritas to have with a Mexican dinner (quesadillas or tacos, I don’t remember), I realized I didn’t have enough Cointreau for a second drink. I wanted to stay with tequila, and I’d already juiced plenty of lime, so I brainstormed with other ingredients on hand and swapped out the triple sec with curaçao and falernum.

1-1/2 oz tequila blanco
1/2 oz orange curaçao
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz lime juice

I enjoyed it. In the future I might see what 3/4 oz curaçao and 1/4 oz falernum is like.

Anyway, it’s not a margarita (a recipe change as drastic as adding falernum calls for a new name), but I want to assure others here that I think tequila and falernum play well together. Of course, that’s tequila blanco, which is what I use in cocktails, and my regular brand is Hornitos.

Pages: 1 18 replies