Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"Tiki Farm - the Hardest Working Company in Tiki" Oct. 16th Opening Night at La Luz de Jesus

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

Free mai-tai's...
Free pupu's...
Dynotones LIVE!...
DJ Big Tiki Dude
... and some ceramics on display!

Plus 6 new limiteds available at the show, 2 new open editions, a handful of "weirdos" and "hard-to-gets"

Come and take a tour of our Farm-like, chicken coup themed monstrosity of a display, occupying the entire front gallery at La Luz de Jesus! Watch out for the rubber chickens as you rubber neck our 7'6" tall display coups, park your rear end on a bale of hay while you regain your breath and mosey on out to the back parking lot for entertainment but that there ain't no country music playin'.

See rarities that you may have never seen before...

Tiki Farm "odds and ends" from our very busy last 10 years including (but not limited to) posters, old catalogs, unearthed trinkets, early advertising promos, a bunch of "what the heck is that" crap, one-of-one's, none-of-none's, amazing project developmental work that never saw the light of day, weird articles on us, incorrect articles on us, great early Tiki resurgent era photos (we've aged!), old rubber molds... and some old Farmers. Plus some mugs, shots, bowls & decanters will be on display.

Longtime TF collaborator Joe Vitale's flyin' in from Florida so shake his hand. Our newest designer Ghost is flying in from Japan so bow. As many of the artists that we can round up will be hanging out... but alas, our great old pal Sven Kirsten will be out of town so perhaps we should consider making "Sven masks" like we did back at Bamboo Ben's party in 2002!

The show will be presented to you chronologically and we will have have a small compendium for all to use to walk the show. There will though, be areas of the show dedicated to not-so-chronological groupings of...

Large, ongoing commission clients.

Mugs that have absolutely nothing to do with Tiki.

Old glaze prototypes that never made it to production.

Broken mugs that broke our hearts (brace yourself for that part of the exhibit).

Dedicated Shag, Disneyland, Trader Vic's, Mai Kai, Bali Hai, Island Systems,
Hukilau, Beachcomber Cafe, Don the Beachcomber, Mooneyes, Viva Las Vegas section.

Plus, if all goes as planned, we may have as many as 31 exclusive previews for you at the show, too... stuff rollin' out. We should have at least 20 or so though.

Fun props that kind of tell the story will be strewn throughout the shelves. The very first part of the display as you walk it chronologically will be a tribute to the predecessor to Tiki Farm, the early dot com (pre huge dot bomb massive fall-out) boom biz that started it all... ebachelorpad.com

Hope to see you there!

ps - come back on Sunday at noon and I'll do a 1-hour walk through for anybody interested and will be happy to answer most of your questions.

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2010-09-29 17:44 ]

Too Cool for School, Holden!

very rad! ill try ta make it up!

Oh my...Holden will be bringing the Mai Tais again??...Thank goodness for late night "Tommys" on Rampart.... Looking forward to the show!

T

Wow! What a dizzying array of Tiki Farm history on display! Lookin' like this show will be AWESOME! Wouldn't miss it... See you there!

R

the show of all shows.don't miss this one.you've never seen anything like this before.

On 2010-09-29 21:47, ron-tiki wrote:
the show of all shows.don't miss this one.you've never seen anything like this before.

before or after?

(or is that Farmer Talk....?

Mrs Boo and I will be checkin this out fo' sure!

CJ

I'm excited to see some of Squid's work

Man, what bad timing for me to be outta town just that weekend! I will be there in spirit. -hic-

so very cool,
looking forward to the show,

and thanks to Holden for letting me DJ.
8 to 9pm
Dynotones 9 to 11pm

this is gonna be a great night.

I assume Tiki Ti is the place to be before, and after?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-09-30 09:25 ]

So psyched for this!

Will you be serving drinks in those first year Mugs!

On 2010-09-29 23:43, bigtikidude wrote:
so very cool,

7 to 9pm
Dynotones 9 to 11pm

Jeff(btd)

The event starts at 8pm everybody - Jeff will likely start spinning early but the gallery won't be opening until 8pm.

On 2010-09-30 00:47, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Will you be serving drinks in those first year Mugs!

I'm sure we had some plastic cups floating around during our first year so... YES, we will!

On 2010-09-30 08:53, MakeDaMug wrote:
The event starts at 8pm everybody - Jeff will likely start spinning early but the gallery won't be opening until 8pm.

Whooops, sorry,
How did I miss that?
:o

Jeff(btd)

Aww, can't make it, darn high school reunion. Looks like a great night, Holden. Wish I could come.

WooHoo! We can't wait :)

On 2010-09-29 23:43, bigtikidude wrote:
so very cool,

8 to 9pm
Dynotones 9 to 11pm

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-09-30 09:25 ]

Jeff, thanks for editing your starting time now above to 8pm after my post, but as I commented that you'd be starting earlier after seeing your original post showing you said you'd be starting at 7pm... well, folks, please just show up and if the dj starts right at 8pm or whenever, it is still the La Luz de Jesus Gallery after all. Confirmed: DYNOTONES LIVE AT 9PM!!!!!!!!

Could anybody attending this post lots of pictures please, I would so love to attend in person. But I do believe some of my designs will be in attendance.

M

And this just in... Dirty Donny himself (TFarm contributing artist & event poster artist) will be headin' on down from San Francisco so be sure to shake his hand (but also be sure to wash up afterwards!).

R

packing ,packing,packing---keeping on a packing! this show is going to be a mind blower!!!

Go Ron-tiki Go!
You can DO it!

TT

Attending a wedding in L.A. that night. Will be leaving the reception early to attend the Tiki Farm party. Coming-up with fake injury excuse as I type.

B

I wanna go!!! Sounds like it going to be a great party with lot's to see.....
Only wish I wasn't so far away... :(

Maybe a live stream from the event???

Congrats Holden and everyone that made Tiki Farm what it is for the last 10 years!!!

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-10-07 16:46 ]

M

We'll have a FREE 12-page compendium for everybody in attendance on the opening night. There will be a strict limit of 1 per person. This sucka took A LOT of time to complete - it's our most comprehensive production overview to date...

Sweet Doug Horne Exotiki cover to boot!

[ Edited by: makedamug 2010-10-08 16:39 ]

Wow, very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too cool for sauce!

Holden, This is going to be an awesome night! I'll definitely be there for this event--along with Cindy and April, of course--we wouldn't miss it!
I can hardly wait to see this incredible collection!

This is perfect timing for us! We're already spending this coming week in the LA area, (visiting family, Disney, the beach, etc) and now we get to cap the week off with our favorite mug maker and many of our tiki ohana. ...Yes, this is gonna be great! :)

Congratulations on 10 great years Holden, see you next week!! ---Ed

C

cool....

got an address for the event?

R

packing,packing,packing,packing,packing..................

M

On 2010-10-09 04:34, Choptop wrote:
cool....

got an address for the event?

La Luz de Jesus Gallery is located within the Soap Plant Wacko gift shop at 4633 Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles.

E

I so wish I could make it to the show, but I'll be stuck in New York; please, everyone, have a Mai Tai for me!

(Please drop me a PM if you'd be willing to pick up any mugs for me - word is TF is releasing SIX limited editions at the show!!)

Eric

Can't wait to see what Tiki Farm has in-store! (And IN STORE!!!) I think Holden has been working harder than Bamboo Ben with a nail gun in his hand!

R

finally!!!! i'm officially done prepping the show...displays are pre -fabbed , mugs are boxed up, labeled, and ready to go.. people you really need to see this. i was blown away by the amount and diversity of the stuff i packed up.. this show is it!!! i'm sure i will not do this again for at least 10 more years!!!! please come down and see for yourselves..

SOOOOOOOON!
VERY SOOOOOOOOOON!
mug-a-mug-a-MUGS GALORE!

On 2010-10-11 11:46, SoccerTiki wrote:
Can't wait to see what Tiki Farm has in-store! (And IN STORE!!!) I think Holden has been working harder than Bamboo Ben with a nail gun in his hand!

Holden with a nail gun?

Did he ever tell you the story when he ripped his pants?

I gotta see this.....

Saturday gonna be Arrrrrrrrsome!!

way stoked for this!

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Oct 12, 2010 1:13 AM

Looking forward to the event and seeing everyone!

Thinking about going to either Green Leaves Vegan on Hillhurst, Umami Burger down the street or the Mexican place across from Umami at around 7... if anyone wants to meet up for dinner before the event, chime in!

Hey Lee,

If we've got everything in place, I'm down for some rolled tacos at the Mexican joint across the street. Umami burgers are really amazing, but I have a tough time throwin' down $12 for a burger and no sides included.

On a side bar for any yooz fellows lookin' to get a little cleaned-up before the show, Sweeney Todd's Barber shop a few doors down from La Luz is a good joint with decent ambience and a solid, old-school haircut staff. Walk-in's only and on Saturday's, they close at 3pm.

Holden

Are you saying we need a haircut,Holden? :wink:
well maybe Kinny!

haircuts hurt.

just wait til you see what happen to me recently.

Jeff(btd)

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Oct 12, 2010 3:33 PM

Holden and anyone else who might want to eat before the event -

I'll for sure pop in at the gallery around 7 to see if you are good to go.
Want to get some shots of the installation and get them up on the web right before the event opens!

On 2010-10-12 06:08, MakeDaMug wrote:
Hey Lee,

If we've got everything in place, I'm down for some rolled tacos at the Mexican joint across the street. Umami burgers are really amazing, but I have a tough time throwin' down $12 for a burger and no sides included.

On a side bar for any yooz fellows lookin' to get a little cleaned-up before the show, Sweeney Todd's Barber shop a few doors down from La Luz is a good joint with decent ambience and a solid, old-school haircut staff. Walk-in's only and on Saturday's, they close at 3pm.

Holden

C

Man, after reading this thread again, I am going to see if I can call in some favors and get off work early.

On 2010-10-12 12:58, bigtikidude wrote:
haircuts hurt.

just wait til you see what happen to me recently.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff's a pretty pretty Butterfly, now!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-12 20:37 ]

Lance,
you need new glasses my friend.

Jeff(btd)

Quote:BigTikiDude
Lance,
you need new glasses my friend.

Jeff(btd)

Whattttttt!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-12 21:41 ]

R

three more days!!!! yay!!! don't miss it.

i have to DJ later that night but I shall be there at 8pm SHARP!

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies