Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maui Tiki Ceramics - by TikiRob

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 260 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2011 12:21 AM

GROG second that.

M

The "Skull Trader" is boxed up and off to his new home.

HEY, Beachbumz and I finally got a little kiln, so you can expect some more stuff from us. Hopefully we will be able to get our work done faster now that we have control of our firing.

Here is what I have been working on for my friend Wendy...

M

The Okolemaluna Bowl Tiki's are based upon a tiki in their Lounge, one they bought from the Waikiki Tiki Hut. They call him Murray.

:music: My bowl it has three corners.
And three corners has my bowl... :music:

Congrats on the kiln Robert, you'll really enjoy it! I made a cardstock template that is the exact size of the bottom of my kiln. Then I always know if something I'm working on will fit in there, corner to corner if it needs to. Of course I learned the hard way and made the template AFTER I made a piece too big to fit my kiln :blush:

Thank you for posting the photo for your inspired bowl soon to be in the danlovestikis collection! Cheers, Wendy

E

Love the Okolemaluna Bowl, Rob - and it's going to a great home!

Here is Scott (beachbumz) opening the kiln after our first glaze firing.
It's a perfect size for us.

These are the two mugs I pulled from our first firing!
I'm pretty happy with them, but it's time to start exploring new glazes, and I gotta make my next mold.

S

They look great Rob. Are they real shells on the necklaces, or have they been sculpted with clay and added?

Thanks Swizzle, Both shells are clay, the one on the left was made separately and glued on while the one on the right is part of the mug. If I make it separately I can get better color. The one on the right has the brown glaze airbrushed over the white I painted in the shell. I'm still trying different techniques to see what works.

Robert, you cast your pendands in open faced molds with slip instead of using solid clay like a push/sprig mold right? Seems like that worked out good for you. The pendant I have is flat on the back, did you have to sand them down on the back or did you somehow refill them with slip after the shrinkage?

Thanks,
Mike

M

Mike, I sand them down smooth. When they are just dried slip the sand easily. Are you going to try making some?
-Rob

So they must have had a dip in the middle where the water absorbed out of the slip before you sanded them.

I'm working on a mold for some coasters, wondering about the difference between slip casting and press molding. I've press molded flat items and slipcast mugs but never tried slip casting a flat object

Howzit Mike, I made a couple pendants with the slip and it would shrink down in the middle after the moisture was sucked out.. Once it sucks down a bit I'd just refill it with more slip.. I suppose with the coaster you could just make taller than what it should be and sand it down like rob said, should work fine.. BTW, those coasters are great!

How's my bowl coming? Have you fired up the kiln? I need that bowl for Dan before he goes through tiki withdrawl - not a pretty sight! Cheers, Wendy

M

Oh nooo, we must not let Dan go onto Tik withdrawl! The plan is to get it fired this weekend and shipped early next week. Sorry it has taken so long.

Terrific, thanks Rob, Wendy

S

Really glad to see you guys got your kiln. Looking forward to some cool tiki stuff.

M

Thanks SeaDawg...

My new Mug design "Kamalo" finally made it through the mold making process. (I'll tell you about the name "Kamalo" later)
I took Grog's advise and it's been drying in the Hot Kihei Sun since Thursday. I'll pour my first couple mugs tonight! Nothing like a new design to get you motivated and excited about making mugs!

Here are some "preview" photos...

Kamalo ready to go under...

My first 4 part mold! (now how do I get it apart?)

With some effort and a tip from Wendy, it came apart nicely.

The 4 parts have been sunning themselves all weekend. (I rotate them to keep them tanning evenly.)

More photos soon!

E
ebtiki posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2011 9:56 PM

Looking forward to seeing Kamalo!

Stop teasing us Rob, let's see Kamalo already!!;)

btw, great job on the mold!

S

From what i can see from the picture, the design looks great Rob. I can't wait to see how you go with your first pour. A 4 part mold i'm finding a little intimidating at the moment but i know i'll have to tackle one soon, rather than later.

M

Thanks Swizzle and Ebtiki for the nice comments. Swizzle, I've been watching your progress, your mugs are great! Ebtiki, I'm waiting to see a photo of your mug display! Get that collection out of the boxes!

Here are the first two out of the mold. Wow it's nice to work with a new mold. Everything is so smooth and the seams are so small. I'll add the teeth lines to each one as part of the clean-up. I have one in the mold now and a couple more tonight.

Yo Scott, when do you want to bisque fire? I'll have 5 ready by Thursday, then maybe we can glaze fire this weekend! Save room for me in the kiln!

BRA - Kamalo looks great!! Can't wait to see him all dressed up and ready for one mai tai..
Kiln's hot as type but will be ready for a bisque firing anytime.. I had a full load but I'll start pouring.. :wink:

M

First batch of "Artist proofs" of the Kamalo Mug made it into our little kiln last night.
Hopefully they all survive! We will know soon!

The kiln fits 8 mugs which so far has been just right.

E

Wow - can't wait to see the mugs you have cooking!
I have about 80 mugs on on shelves, but (sadly) the others will be in their boxes a while longer.
e.

M

Well I'm proud to "officially" introduce "KAMALO" my new mug design. here is the story behind the name.

A few months ago I was paddleboarding and had a 12 foot Tiger Shark swim under my board in 5 feet of water. The Shark was HUGE. Tiger Sharks are the baddest and meanest sharks we have in Hawaii. Their girth is amazing and much more impressive than the length. I had just gotten on my board after a fall and he swam under me just as I stood back up. The beast continued on towards some surfers so I followed him to warn them. Well, I guess he didn't like to be followed, because he turned around and swam straight at me, coming to the surface with his jagged dorsal fin out of the water. Terrified, I crouched low to keep my balance and I positioned my paddle to hit him if he became aggressive. As he passed right along side of me he kept getting higher and higher out of the water. I actually scraped his back with my paddle as he swam by. His skin against my paddle was like sandpaper. As he got perfectly even with me he proceeded to bump the back of my board with his massive head. Lucky for me I must not have smelled very good as he turned out to sea and I quickly paddled towards shore.

Here is my shortend version of a Hawaiian ledgend

Hawaiian ledgend tells the story on the island of Molokai of Kamalo and his two sons.

Long ago on the island of Molokai lived Kupa, the high chief, and Kamalo. Kamalo had two sons. Kupa had a house constructed in the Mapulehu valley. Kamalo lived nearby, in the village of Kaluaaha, which faced the channel between Molokai and Maui.

Inside Chief Kupa’s temple, two very special drums were kept. Kupa used the beating of these drums to communicate his thoughts to his priests over great distances. One day, when Kupa was away on a fishing trip, Kamalo's sons entered the chief's home and marvelled at the magnificent drums, and although their father had taught them the ways of the temple and that things sacred to the gods must not be touched, temptation overcame them, and the boys began to beat hard upon the drums.

When the chief returned and heard about what had happened, he became furious, killing the boys and presenting their bodies at the alter in sacrifice.

Kamalo became obsessed with revenge. No match for Kupa on his own, he consulted with prophets and seers throughout Molokai, but each one was fearful of Kupa and would not help Kamalo. Eventually, Kamalo came to the cliffs that overlook Kalawao and Kalaupapa. Down at the bottom there was an ocean cave of the shark god, Kauhuhu. No one had ever survived a meeting with Kauhuhu without being eaten. Kamalo talked his way past the two serpents guarding the cave and hid until the Shark God returned. When Kauhuhu returned he leapt upon Kamalo, jaws open to reveal sharp, shiny teeth. Kamalo quickly cried out for mercy and recounted his story in detail. Kauhuhu was overcome with pity and agreed to kelp him with his revenge.

Soon after Kauhuhu brought a great storm to Hawaii. It grew rapidly and came across the channel and rested in the highest peaks above the valley where Kupa lived. The rains brought flood waters down the mountains, washing Kupa and his sacred
drums out to sea.

I can relate to Kamalo in the fact that we both came face to face with the Shark God without being eaten and thus named my new mug KAMALO.

Robert, I was thinking just last night that you hadn't posted in a while. Great story and a great mug. I think that shark encounters is one of the reasons I don't surf (that and being 120 miles from the ocean) :D I really like that Celadon-type glaze (center)

Robert,

Awesome mug, as usual, I'm with Mike on the Celadon glaze. Great story and legend too. You're just lucky it wasn't Tintorera! :lol:

Bear

Awesome shark story and a sweet mug...

E
ebtiki posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2011 7:15 PM

Great story and mug!!

Great story, mug and photos. I loved looking into your kiln. Wendy

M

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I really like that glaze too. I hope I can duplicate it again. These 10 artist proofs will go on sale next week sometime (I'll keep one for myself). Hopefully I'll have time over the holiday weekend to post them on my website for sale.

I'm going to fire more this weekend.

Aloha! Rob

Very cool mugs!

M

Just got these "Customs" out of the kiln today!

I'm stoked with how they turned out! These will be listed for sale on Ooga-Mooga for a week or so before hitting eBay.

S

Wow Rob, those Kamalo's look awesome.

Brada Rob, I have a new favorite of your mugs I think... Those Kamalo's turned out awesome man.. I REALLY like how the headdress wraps around the backside li dat and the glazes are perfect..

M

Thanks Swizzle and BeachBumz. I took some better photos last night. I'll post them soon. I'm really stoked with how they turned out. I can't wait to get started on the next one!

Here is a photo I took with my iPhone. It shows the true color better.

MauiTiki

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs http://www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers http://www.hippiestickers.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2011-09-07 15:33 ]

M

Yes, I'm still alive and Making Mugs! I know you get worried about me. Just got so much going on....

The mug above on the right is for sale on eBay right now!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230681401708?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'm also selling a Custom Carson "Red wood" mug with a cowrie shell necklace too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230681399926?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I just finished these 2:

And have a couple more in the works!

More photos to come!

Maui Wowie!!! Love the lizard :D

M

I'm excited. I got my own spray gun for glaze and my own (used) compressor. I can't wait to try them out this weekend. Going to Bisque fire tonight so hopefully we can glaze fire over the weekend.

MauiTiki

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs http://www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers http://www.hippiestickers.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2011-10-07 20:10 ]

Hi Rob, they look terrific. For the Zombie Hut mugs we found it too hard to spray paint the insides so we still did the pour in and out. When the insides were done we spray painted the outside. We did three layers of spray and it all turn out. We used a banding wheel and spun it. Every so often we scraped it clean and started again. Best wishes, Wendy

M

Hi Wendy, that is essentially how I'm doing it. I've been using Beachbumz' sprayer until now. Pour the insides and spray the outsides. Scott's wife found a cheap "lazy susan" at Ross so we have been using that to spin the mugs as we spray. It works great. The kiln is cooling now and down to 200 degrees, so I'm about ready to peak inside. Just a bisque fire so not too exciting, but hopefully we can glaze fire Monday (I'm off work for the holiday).

I'm amazed how well the new Kamalo mugs are doing on eBay, so I got to keep them coming for all you Tiki mug collectors out there. If anyone wants a custom one just PM me!

Wendy, it looks like I'll be back in Sacramento for the holidays, so hopefully I'll be able to come for a visit!

M

Sounds like you just about have all the stuff you need to make your mugs yourself now, does that mean it will speed up production? :wink:

Keep up the great work! (The Kamalos look fantastic!)

S

Hey Rob, the Kamalo mugs are looking great. Good job. I'm thinking i might invest in a spray gun and compressor myself. Just wondering how you avoid any overspray going inside the mug when you are spraying near the top. Also, how many coats are you doing?

Mikey, Yeah production is definitely more under my own control now. I still have a day job and kids playing sports on the weekends, but I don't have to wait for my friend to have his stuff ready to fire before firing. Scott (Beachbumz) and I share the kiln so we try to fire together, but it doesn't hold us up. Most the time we are pushing each other to get stuff done so we can fire together.

Swizzle, I usually pour the glaze on the inside first, then roll a piece of paper and put it on the inside when I spray. What I've learned is that the over-spray is usually not thick enough to even show. The thicker glaze on the inside just eats it up and you don't even see it. I also like to spray at an upward angle when I spray at the top so it doesn't get a lot of overspray on the inside anyway. Be sure to get an industrial sprayer not a small airbrush. The glaze is thick and doesn't flow through an airbrush easily. Depending on the glaze I do two or three coats. I'm still learning and really need to measure the glaze then spray a specific amount. It's hard to count coats when some coats can be thicker than others. If I could measure out like 1/4 cup then use it all each time It could be really consistent. 1/4 cup would be too much, but in the future I'll start measuring. Some glazes can change dramatically depending on how thick you apply it.

M

Aloha, those 4 Kamalo mugs in the above photo are out of the kiln!

Great work Robert. The lizard turned out cool!

M

MadDogMike told me about a book on "press Molds" somewhere in this thread. I was able to buy it used on Amazon for $3. (it cost more than $3 to ship it) So when Okolemaluna Tiki Lounge contacted me about making 110 Pendants for their 1 Year Anniversary party I jumped on the chance.

It turned out to be a larger project than I anticipated, but it was a great learning experience and I helped out some friends in the process.

These photos were all taken with my iPhone so they are not the best quality.

I started with a sketch of Okolemaluna's signature Tiki:

Then used some heat sensitive clay to make the master (following VanTiki's instructions)

I actually made three molds from this master to make the production go faster. I should have made 5 or more molds, because after pressing the clay it can take 30 minutes to an hour before the pendant will come out of the mold. That limited me to no more than 12 pendants on weekdays.

I then created a "Stamp" so I could stamp the "1 year Anniversary" on the back. We decided to use "Okolemaluna" rather than "Anniversary."

So the pressing and stamping began....

The pendants started to pile up...

After a three weeks of NON-STOP pressing, and clean-up they were ready for their first firing:

Next I painted black glaze on the backs and wiped the excess away with a sponge to make the words visible.

I sprayed glaze on 9 pendants at a time with various color combinations and they went back in the kiln...

The best part is always opening the kiln to see the finished art.

They are boxed up and off to the Big island!
Don't miss the party on December 5th!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 260 replies